• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Foxyone

Is it ok to use the included USB cable with the controller while it also has non-rechargable batteries inside? I've heard that for safety reasons the cable only provides direct power for the controller and doesn't charge anything. Is that true?

So I've been fiddling around with the controller and World of Warcraft just to see how playable I could possibly make it, and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Screenshot is too big to embed.

EDIT:
Is it ok to use the included USB cable with the controller while it also has non-rechargable batteries inside? I've heard that for safety reasons the cable only provides direct power for the controller and doesn't charge anything. Is that true?
Correct.

pmj

I've gone back and forth between wireless using the supplied non-rechargeable batteries and corded without any issues.

SaiyanRaoh

Can anyone share or tell me of a place I can get a decent profile for Assassins Creed Syndicate? Uplay version here. Can't move the camera with right pad while moving with the left stick. It only works while stationary.

dsk1210

Can anyone share or tell me of a place I can get a decent profile for Assassins Creed Syndicate? Uplay version here. Can't move the camera with right pad while moving with the left stick. It only works while stationary.

I don't have the game, but it sounds like you have xinput/controller and keyboard/mouse going at the same time and some games don't like that.

Try a mouse and keyboard template and see if that works.

Sounds like it can't handle mouse and gamepad input at the same time. Probably the best thing to do is just switch the right pad to Mouse Joystick mode.

ZOONAMI

Got mine yesterday. Played FO4 for an hour or so and it worked pretty well. Anyone have a superior configuration than the top community one? I found one with gyro assist that worked reasonably well after some tweaking. Like that more than the top one with "precision" aiming even though the guy who made it couldn't be bothered to turn the sensitivity up.

Red

OK cool, I saw that it had gyro settings, but then why are there settings for the haptic pads?

Very confusing.
Can you clarify what you're asking? What do you mean by "settings for the haptic pads"? Is this something you see within the gyro menu?

ZOONAMI

Can you clarify what you're asking? What do you mean by "settings for the haptic pads"? Is this something you see within the gyro menu?

Yes there are settings for the pads within the gyro middle section. Same settings as if I were in the settings for the right pad.

I can set the pad as joystick, mouse, etc. So it's weird. I ended up matching the settings I the middle section with the right pad section. But I feel like this isn't necessary and is confusing. I was literally like wtf why are there 2 settings for the same thing. At first I just ended up disabling the middle section.

Yes there are settings for the pads within the gyro middle section. Same settings as if I were in the settings for the right pad.
You have to tell the gyro what it's supposed to do. So there's some overlap with the pad settings in that you have to tell it if it's gonna be moving a mouse, or a joystick, or a dpad. It's still missing a few of the options that don't make sense like touch menu or buttons.

ZOONAMI

You have to tell the gyro what it's supposed to do. So there's some overlap with the pad settings in that you have to tell it if it's gonna be moving a mouse, or a joystick, or a dpad. It's still missing a few of the options that don't make sense like touch menu or buttons.

I kind of feel like it needs to be simplified. Gyro on or off, and gyro assisted when holding another button. Done.

Zia

So I've had my Steam Controller tucked away while I polish off MGSV as my 360 controller wasn't playing nice while the other controller's dongle was plugged in -- have these compatibility issues been ironed out? Would love to pull it out of storage.

I kind of feel like it needs to be simplified. Gyro on or off, and gyro assisted when holding another button. Done.
Unfortunately with the nature of the controller, it kinda can't be simplified. To use Gyro in all of these games that don't have build in Gyro support, the controller can't really assume anything. At minimum you'd still need to tell it if the game uses analog sticks or a mouse. That's the general issue a lot of people have with the controller in reviews. It's inherently not user friendly to people who just want to pick up and play easily.

It definitely needs a lot more generic presets though, cause they ones they have often don't cut it. A Gyro assisted aim one would be a good candidate since it seems to be popular. Although it's often used when touching the pad rather than holding a button down.

ZOONAMI

Unfortunately with the nature of the controller, it kinda can't be simplified. To use Gyro in all of these games that don't have build in Gyro support, the controller can't really assume anything. At minimum you'd still need to tell it if the game uses analog sticks or a mouse. That's the general issue a lot of people have with the controller in reviews. It's inherently not user friendly to people who just want to pick up and play easily.

It definitely needs a lot more generic presets though, cause they ones they have often don't cut it. A Gyro assisted aim one would be a good candidate since it seems to be popular. Although it's often used when touching the pad rather than holding a button down.

OK so the question remains, in the gyro setting for right pad should I essentially match the settings to the right pad settings for it to work best?

OK so the question remains, in the gyro setting for right pad should I essentially match the settings to the right pad settings for it to work best?
The general idea is same input type, with a higher sensitivity on the right pad for quick panning. Then low sensitivity on the gyro to just make minor corrections. With touch activation rather than push so they're both active at the same time instead of toggling between the two. I haven't done it myself being a filthy lefty with the movement stick on the wrong side keeping me away from shooters.

Got mine yesterday. Played FO4 for an hour or so and it worked pretty well. Anyone have a superior configuration than the top community one? I found one with gyro assist that worked reasonably well after some tweaking. Like that more than the top one with "precision" aiming even though the guy who made it couldn't be bothered to turn the sensitivity up.

Ok no problem, its my first time uploading a config so idk how you'd find it but heres some info:

ID: 557149667
Dollars (Hero Prinny)'s binding (gamepad

also do the following:

Go to the Fallout4Prefs.ini (C:\Users[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini), under [Controls] put: fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=4.0 or whatever feels most comfortable for you. personally I rock with 3, my brother like 5, don't know how he plays with it like that @_@

my config features quick save and load :) hold the back left pad thing and press A for quck save and B for quick load, if you're interested, left pad + Y also takes pics. full press on the left trigger activates the gyro.

ZOONAMI

The general idea is same input type, with a higher sensitivity on the right pad for quick panning. Then low sensitivity on the gyro to just make minor corrections. With touch activation rather than push so they're both active at the same time instead of toggling between the two. I haven't done it myself being a filthy lefty with the movement stick on the wrong side keeping me away from shooters.

my config features quick save and load :) hold the back left pad thing and press A for quck save and B for quick load, if you're interested, left pad + Y also takes pics. full press on the left trigger activates the gyro.

Thanks guys!

Over-Run

So is it impossible to play DOS based games or older games with the controller?
Trying to play Fallout 2 and it seems to minimize when I try open the big picture overlay. Any workarounds?

Nete

Trying to play Fallout 2 and it seems to minimize when I try open the big picture overlay. Any workarounds?

Configure the controller on BPM without starting the game, and then just launch it through Steam without BPM?

Unai

Configure the controller on BPM without starting the game, and then just launch it through Steam without BPM?

I couldn't get Fallout 1 to work at all because the overlay doesn't work on it. I think Fallout 2 might be the same.

A workaround is to change the desktop configuration itself so you can use it on the game. You can save it as "Fallout 1" in the configs so you'll be able to change easily between the real desktop configuration and the one you create to play a specific game (Fallout 2, in the case).

Foxyone

Is there any way to use the controller to handle the "Yes" or "No" windows that sometimes pop up when starting certain programs? Or even do anything with the task manager?

Chris R

I know Fallout 3 is a very old game, but in the 15 minutes I've spent with the game on the Steam Controller I got today it only seemed to work properly for 5 minutes. Enabling the gyro as the right stick worked sometimes, then seemed to stick at other points causing me to spin in a circle while holding the controller perfectly still. Then the right pad would work sometimes and cut out others.

Not to mention Big Picture Mode still runs like shit.

So I can't say I'm pleased with what I've used it for so far. Maybe I'll have better luck with games I wouldn't use my 360 pad with in the first place.

Gruso

Is there any way to use the controller to handle the "Yes" or "No" windows that sometimes pop up when starting certain programs? Or even do anything with the task manager?
If they need a mouse click, you will need to mouse there with the controller. Part of what it's designed for of course! Even if you're using pure gamepad mapping, any OS-level popup (like those game settings dialogues that launch before the game does) will put the controller into desktop mode, so the right pad will be a mouse.

You can bring up the task manager by binding a key to Ctrl-Shift-Esc, then control it normally (again this is OS level, so you'll automatically go to mouse mode). But you can't currently do this from BP mode, because custom BP controls aren't available yet.

Lork

I have shaky hands :/
Speaking of preferring to require an input for gyro, are they ever going to fix that so it actually works? It's been broken for over a week now and I'm worried they just forgot about it in favor of working on whatever shiny new feature they last introduced instead.

Foxyone

If they need a mouse click, you will need to mouse there with the controller. Part of what it's designed for of course! Even if you're using pure gamepad mapping, any OS-level popup (like those game settings dialogues that launch before the game does) will put the controller into desktop mode, so the right pad will be a mouse.

You can bring up the task manager by binding a key to Ctrl-Shift-Esc, then control it normally (again this is OS level, so you'll automatically go to mouse mode). But you can't currently do this from BP mode, because custom BP controls aren't available yet.

I didn't know about Ctrl-Shift-Esc bringing up the task manager, but that's seeming to work nicely :3

Still though, when I open something like FRAPs, it opens a (what I assume to be an OS-level) popup asking if I want to allow the app, and it kills all controller functionality until after I make a selection with a mouse.

Hylian7

My Arma 3 config is done, just want to test it in some actual combat missions before I publish it publicly.

Also I tried Valkyria Chronicles with the Steam controller. Analog stick feels weird with that game, but maybe I just haven't played it with a gamepad and it's the same there. Using the top used "no nonsense" config, that seems to work well. You can aim with the analog stick or the right pad, and the right pad feels much better.

Gruso

Still though, when I open something like FRAPs, it opens a (what I assume to be an OS-level) popup asking if I want to allow the app, and it kills all controller functionality until after I make a selection with a mouse.
Sounds like a UAC popup? Most irritating. You can disable that in Windows settings (although you're reducing overall system security of course). Me, no UAC.

My Arma 3 config is done, just want to test it in some actual combat missions before I publish it publicly.
Watching and waiting!

Oreoleo

Also I tried Valkyria Chronicles with the Steam controller. Analog stick feels weird with that game, but maybe I just haven't played it with a gamepad and it's the same there. Using the top used "no nonsense" config, that seems to work well. You can aim with the analog stick or the right pad, and the right pad feels much better.

That was the next game I was going to tackle with the controller (finished Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines yesterday- fucking amazing game). VC feels great with a pad but every time I use a sniper I have to switch to mouse to get the precise shot I want. Steam controller should be perfect for it :)

deadfolk

That was the next game I was going to tackle with the controller (finished Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines yesterday- fucking amazing game). VC feels great with a pad but every time I use a sniper I have to switch to mouse to get the precise shot I want. Steam controller should be perfect for it :)

Which config did you use for Bloodlines?

Bowl0l

I dug through some posts the other day. Seems like he called someone out for pirating, it backfired and he was tried for witch hunting. Shit happens, probably just a temp holiday.
He's one user that is very hard to contact. Chat with him through Steam but no reply.

Spacejaws

Can I ask how you got Uplay games working through BPM? I've tried adding Uplay and the shortcut with the game id as non steam games but every time I launch them Steam doesn't think an application is running and the game recognizes no input. Also with the desktop configuration set as gamepad my desktop apps don't recognize the controller. Works with Origin no problem though.

Gruso

Should I have signed up for the beta for this thing? Am I missing out on updates by just using it in BPM?
You're just waiting a little longer for updates, after they've been tested and pushed to stable. Small problems are possible in the beta, but they're pushing out updates every day or so. You can jump in any time by enabling beta participation in Steam settings.

Human_me

Question: If I get rechargeable batteries for the Steam Controller, When I plug the controller in via USB would it recharge the batteries?
Or would I have to take them out charge them separately and put them back in again?

Top Bottom