• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nyoro SF

Anyone experiencing inconsistency with the Turbo function? First tried it in Dustforce trying to bind the dash key to a turbo function and found that the dude would just stop dashing at random intervals. Thought it was the interval at first and it seems to be a problem that stays consistent at any range of intervals, the game itself doesn't seem to be reading a number of inputs when using the thing in turbo mode, manually dashing I just found to be way more effective. Turned on haptics and found that the thing was pulsing in time with whatever I had the interval setup with so it never "felt" like the thing was missing the inputs even if the game itself was reading a fraction of them.

Thinking it was a Dustforce related problem I booted up KOF13 and tried to see how consistently I could get out Ralf's mash move (it stays out indefinitely so long as you keep mashing a punch button) and found myself with the same situation, he would just stop at some times, as if the game wasn't reading a part of the turbo inputs that the controller was sending. I'm less than a foot away from my receiver so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be here aside from the turbo function as a whole just being a bit glitched atm.

I should note that, thinking that it was potentially a problem with the button i had assigned to turbo, that I tried multiple buttons both on the diamond and on the triggers and still found the same 'dropped input' problem.

This works absolutely beautifully

I had the same problem. I'll contact Valve about it later.

FLD

Damnit, I've been on the fence about ordering one since late last night and now ebgames.ca is out of stock again. That's what I get for being indecisive. Should've ordered one before I left this morning, like I was tempted to do...

Anyway, since now I have more time to think about it, how good of a replacement would it be for a dualshock 3? I've been using my ds3 since like 2008 and the left stick is getting stuck all the time now. I really want to replace it but I'm wondering if I should just get a DS4.

Have there been any games so far that play worse/are unplayable with the Steam controller? I'd rather avoid a situation where I end up going back to the ds3 all the time because game x plays poorly with the trackpads or whatever. I use a controller for pretty much everything outside of shooters and strategy games, so I'm looking for a solid replacement here.

Gangxxter

Finally I also got my Controller. But I think the haptics on the left trackpad are defective in my unit. When I set both trackpads to Trackball mode with Friction turned off, the right trackpad sounds like expected but the feedback on the left trackpad goes on way too long. I made a video of this issue:

https://youtu.be/QJFPMqxxdQo

Is this a software issue or is my controller defective? Should I return it?

dsk1210

Finally I also got my Controller. But I think the haptics on the left trackpad are defective in my unit. When I set both trackpads to Trackball mode with Friction turned off, the right trackpad sounds like expected but the feedback on the left trackpad goes on way too long. I made a video of this issue:

https://youtu.be/QJFPMqxxdQo

Is this a software issue or is my controller defective? Should I return it?

It just sounds like you have trackball on the left and mouse on the right without trackball mode.

Lingitiz

Finally sat down and spent about an hour or so messing with KB/M bindings for Fallout 4. I have favorites all binded with touch menu on the icons, along with some other keys that are rarely used like T and X. While aiming is vastly superior, menu navigation is going to take very long to get used to. A SkyUI-like mod needs to come over fast.

The biggest change I think that helps with getting used to aiming with the touchpad is reversing LT and RT so that LT is shoot. This makes it easier to keep your right thumb focused on the touch pad and it becomes a lot less jittery.

For some reason no bindings besides the official one work for CSGO. Anybody encountered this?

Yeah I saw this too...very weird.

Gangxxter

It just sounds like you have trackball on the left and mouse on the right without trackball mode.

Yeah, it's strange because both trackpads have the same settings.
I think it's a software issue because I've turned the controller off and on again and now the problem is gone. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

EDIT: Another issue I have is when I'm in Big Picture mode and I move the analog stick, I can slightly feel the haptics of th left trackpad. Also happens in the main menu of Portal 2, but it doesn't happen ingame in Portal 2.
Nevermind, just found out that it's a feature, not a bug :lol

Hylian7

Is there any way to use other buttons for mode shifting other than the ones it shows in the configurations? I want to use clicking the analog stick for a mode shift for my Arma 3 control scheme, but that one isn't on there.

Jams775

I'm getting my controller in a couple of days and I was wondering if you could use the controller as soon as Windows starts? Like could I default use it as a mouse pointer at the login prompt?

I'm getting my controller in a couple of days and I was wondering if you could use the controller as soon as Windows starts? Like could I default use it as a mouse pointer at the login prompt?
Hmm...I answered then realized I don't actually know for sure. It does work on the desktop before steam is opened. I guess I'll just reboot real quick and see if it works during the login prompt.

I think Steam has to be open for it to work.

My steam is closed and I'm using the thing to navigate my desktop as we speak. Only thing I'm missing is a keyboard.

Edit : I think this is krejlooc's channel demonstrating the same thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KzeeGIUGSg

kinn

resuming from sleep via the steam button works. i think as long as steam starts on boot it should be ok. Not sure about boot login stage though.

Just tried it once and the buttons were active but the mouse wasn't. But I could tell it was supposed to be working cause the haptics were still acting like it was on. So I guess the answer is it should work at login but might not be totally reliable.

I guess I got over the initial learning curve or I was just really tired yesterday, because running through the Wolfenstein challenge rooms I'm doing okay. Part of that is probably I found a config that I thought was okay and I'm more familiar with the controller. I still don't like the amount of time its taking me to find the settings I like though, but I'm starting to move past feeling like I should return it. I'm now of the opinion that this thing works, but I really don't think it should be available semi widely like it is now. I guess this is the Valve way though put something put that sort of works, but has lots of potential and keep iterating on it based on community feedback.

Nzyme32

Steam Controller Beta Client Update
  • Fixed hip fire triggers sending key-up events in cases with no key-down. Could cause problems in some applications, such as right mouse click
  • Configurator now has proper icons for stick click, outer ring, and lean bindings
  • Steam menu navigation was tweaked to be more vertically biased to match the vertical UI

Ultrabum

So I just got my steam controller in the mail. I was thinking about using it to play some emulated games, such as final fantasy tactics on ppsspp.

Should I be remapping the buttons in ppsspp(the emulator software) or through steam? Or perhaps some combination of the 2?

I was a little overwhelmed by the OP, so appologies if this is already posted.

Exuro

Man using the left pad as a scroll wheel is freaky. I was just subtly moving my thumb between ticks and I had this"this feels like I'm moving something mechanical" moment which was really weird but cool.

Gruso

So I just got my steam controller in the mail. I was thinking about using it to play some emulated games, such as final fantasy tactics on ppsspp.

Should I be remapping the buttons in ppsspp(the emulator software) or through steam? Or perhaps some combination of the 2?

Personally I try to map in the Steam controller config only, to start with at least. This makes sharing configs easier. But getting into game mappings to get everything fine tuned is sometimes needed too.

IMACOMPUTA

A lot of early previews mentioned simulating abxy on the right pad via haptic feedback. Is there actually any way to do this with the final version? I want to try it out.

Hylian7

this thing deserves more love, beta updates have been fantastic

i'm using the controller in every game now, no issues

I use it in every game except Dota 2 and Elite: Dangerous right now.

It's not viable for regular Dota matches, and I have a flight stick for Elite that I would rather use for that.

Exuro

I'm using the left pad as a 9-button touch menu for Arma 3. That works out surprisingly well!
I just tried out a 16 button touch menu with icons in FTL that worked really well. I'm really impressed with the improvements Valve have made since "release".

Hylian7

I just tried out a 16 button touch menu with icons in FTL that worked really well. I'm really impressed with the improvements Valve have made since "release".

Yeah, using touch menus feels particularly good. The only thing my Arma 3 control scheme needs is an option to click the analog stick to mode switch. I want to be able to have it where you can hold the stick clicked to use the right or left pedals in helicopters.

As it is right now though, it's totally viable for infantry and ground vehicles.

Veal

It's too bad the standard controls for Darksiders 2:DE are ass cause the haptic rumble effects are actually pretty cool! Lots of variation that you don't typically feel with traditional rumble effects. I really really hope they fix those controls!

Foxyone

Wouldn't mind the controller being less clicky / more quiet. My bf keeps complaining about the sound of it over my headset mic, so I'm kinda self-conscious about the sound it makes now.

Edit: I'm trying play a game Elsword that will accept a gamepad configuration, but no m + kb. Anyone know how that could be fixed? Normal m + kb works at the same time.

Apt101

The controller works really well with Team Fortress 2, especially once I got used to the keybinds. I can tell it will take probably 8-10 hours to get anywhere near as precise as a mouse, but it's playable. I wasn't expecting that.

I hate the button layout on this thing. Makes it difficult to play games like Tell Tale's Game of Thrones. I find myself using a Dualshock 4 for pretty much every game that wasn't designed with a mouse in mind, which is a shame. I'll practice with it whenever I get free time and see if it grows on me. I'd really like Valve to come out with a model that swapped the placement of the touch pad with the ABXY buttons somehow, possibly make the buttons larger as well.

Hylian7

Okay Touch Menus are fucking mindblowing. So much functionality for games that normally use a ton of keyboard keys. My bind for Arma 3 uses the 16-button touch menu, and it feels great. It's really the haptics that make the touch menus work so well.

I'm struggling with the pad to be honest. Down to me not really tinkering/understanding all the bits and bobs.

I've not taken to it, find it inconsistent - that's due to me not getting used to it rather than an inherent problem.

But I will figure it out.

XBP

Anyone else getting an error in BPM about some kind of connection issue with the controller? I press the steam button on the controller and it tells me to use the extension cable for the dongle to ensure the controller is closer to it but my setup is already like that.

Anyone else getting an error in BPM about some kind of connection issue with the controller? I press the steam button on the controller and it tells me to use the extension cable for the dongle to ensure the controller is closer to it but my setup is already like that.

Not for me I'm afraid, it's been fine on that front.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still can't believe the pads are just buttons. It's mind blowing there's no more than one physical input.

Hylian7

You mentioned that before, not really sure what you are meaning by it?
I think he means the left pad technically only has one "click", despite appearing like a D-pad. There are no physical buttons for each direction, that's all done through where your thumb is touching when it's pressed. It doesn't work like a traditional D-pad where there are physical inputs for each of the four directions.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You mentioned that before, not really sure what you are meaning by it?
Yep:
I think he means the left pad technically only has one "click", despite appearing like a D-pad. There are no physical buttons for each direction, that's all done through where your thumb is touching when it's pressed. It doesn't work like a traditional D-pad where there are physical inputs for each of the four directions.
That's crazy! I didn't even realize it despite using it for a couple of days. Then I read it here, and used the controller while off. It's so obvious now but jeez, this tech is impressive.

derFeef

Sorry if this has been asked already. But is anyone using this with Elite: Dangerous? I am tempted to get it just for those kind of games. Gyro and additional buttons on the back would be neat. Not to mention the novelty of the pads.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Sorry if this has been asked already. But is anyone using this with Elite: Dangerous? I am tempted to get it just for those kind of games. Gyro and additional buttons on the back would be neat. Not to mention the novelty of the pads.

I've been using it for Star Citizen and it works fine there.

Damnit, I've been on the fence about ordering one since late last night and now ebgames.ca is out of stock again. That's what I get for being indecisive. Should've ordered one before I left this morning, like I was tempted to do...

Anyway, since now I have more time to think about it, how good of a replacement would it be for a dualshock 3? I've been using my ds3 since like 2008 and the left stick is getting stuck all the time now. I really want to replace it but I'm wondering if I should just get a DS4.
for fighters (usf4) i dont find it as intuitive. or even games that require the constant simultaneous use of the 2/4 shoulder buttons. cause lets face it. pressing left/right triggers+gripes or triggers+bumpers is just not as easy or intuitive as ds3s shoulder buttons. but thats a minor quibble cause you can remap/bind anything to your preference.

for everything else. though. the controllers a god send.

now if only valve can take a step further and give us the option to physically switch out the analog stick with a killer dpad. then it can be decent for fighters/platformers too

actually. with steam close. controller just acts like a mouse input device.
on recent firmware you can even use type on windows onscreen keyboard.

with steam opened. that functionality is gone (steam takes over controller and loses authority to access windows keys)

possible fix in the future

The easiest way to do this is to bind your desktop bindings (the ones you use to navigate Windows outside of big picture mode) to something sensible and then bind these keys via your emulator. This will let you run the emulators without having them as Steam shortcuts, first of all. It will also mean you only need to bind this once and have it work in any emulator you boot up without having to change stuff around (unless you want specific functions in Dolphin etc).

Top Bottom