• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Can someone recommend the best way to configure the gyro if you are only using it for small aiming adjustments?

Like say, using it and the right pad as a mouse to select inventory from a diablo type menu or whatever. Do I bump down the gyro sensitivity if I only want tiny movements? What's a good setup?

You're just waiting a little longer for updates, after they've been tested and pushed to stable. Small problems are possible in the beta, but they're pushing out updates every day or so. You can jump in any time by enabling beta participation in Steam settings.

Thanks. I have a nice set up for F4 now, which I will be playing for long time, so I don't feel that I need any updates urgently.

derFeef

Got it! Feels really weird, but I need more time and configs that work for me. First of all I wanna get a good Elite config. This is going to take some time...

Veal

Anyone having trouble playing Warframe with the steam roller? I can't even get the game to boot past the title screen! It's disappointing because this is definitely one of the games I had in mind for the steam controller. It should be perfect for it!
Edit: finally got it to work. After some customization, it's perfect. Pretty much what I wanted from this game the whole time!

datamage

Anyone using this thing with NBA 2K?

It's the only game for me that feels odd when using the right touchpad. (Used to using an analog stick for the shooting.)

welly_59

Neo Member
Got mine yesterday. Played FO4 for an hour or so and it worked pretty well. Anyone have a superior configuration than the top community one? I found one with gyro assist that worked reasonably well after some tweaking. Like that more than the top one with "precision" aiming even though the guy who made it couldn't be bothered to turn the sensitivity up.

Have a look for one I made. Search for welly official. Its basically the official bethesda config but with gyro activated on left trigger pull

Foxyone

Sounds like a UAC popup? Most irritating. You can disable that in Windows settings (although you're reducing overall system security of course). Me, no UAC.

Wish there didn't have to be a choice between better controller functionality or increased security :/

Any chance it's something Valve could fix with an update?

Bowl0l

I dug through some posts the other day. Seems like he called someone out for pirating, it backfired and he was tried for witch hunting. Shit happens, probably just a temp holiday.
Do you know how long before he gets unbanned?
He helped me to get 2x Steam controllers but i am unable to contact him now through Steam and email.

Anyone using this thing with NBA 2K?

It's the only game for me that feels odd when using the right touchpad. (Used to using an analog stick for the shooting.)

I have, and I think that it's due to the game assuming your position starts from the center? So if you start anywhere else, there is a bit of latency. That's my guess.

CO_Andy

My gawd is Steam support dreadful. Been about a week already and have yet to see a reply about the battery stuck inside my controller.

datamage

I have, and I think that it's due to the game assuming your position starts from the center? So if you start anywhere else, there is a bit of latency. That's my guess.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Was trying to make the steam controller my all-purpose pad, but I may still have to whip out the XB1/DS4 pad for NBA.

Gruso

Do you know how long before he gets unbanned?
He helped me to get 2x Steam controllers but i am unable to contact him now through Steam and email.
Oh dang. I saw his reddit posts a while back - different username I think. I will try to find it again.

[edit] He links to one of his own reddit posts here. Looks like he's been active in the past day.

Nzyme32

My gawd is Steam support dreadful. Been about a week already and have yet to see a reply about the battery stuck inside my controller.

I think it's really sketchy for different people. For example, I've been having a pretty great experience with support. Since October 19th or so I've been having a regular back and forth with them pretty much every 2 or 3 days, which is often also the controller team themselves, sorting the issues my controller had. Some were due to some sort of hardware defect, but there are software bugs they are still working out.

That being said, I've also heard the opposite with no response for many others. I say keep hassling them

Oreoleo

There's a physical mechanism in the controller to eject batteries, I would think it would just be a matter of pushing on that hard enough to dislodge it.

Nabs

New Beta Update:

Steam Controller
  • Improved Trigger Response Curve functionality
  • Changed default camera mode gamepad template to use Mouse Joystick.
  • Added new Gamepad Template intended for twin-stick and sidescrollers which uses Joystick Move on right pad.
  • Haptics now default to on for Joystick Move when used on a touchpad.
  • Default outer deadzone is now smaller when used on a touchpad.
  • Fixed edge bump behavior on Joystick Move
  • Removed "Click" binding from DPad when used on Gyro

chekhonte

Does anybody elses left pad, when used to scroll like on webpages, does it act up. Mine will scroll down sometimes when moving my thumb down on the touchpad and then in the next swipe will decide that swiping down means scroll up.

It's kind of frustrating as I just can't use it to navigate web pages which I would do a lot.

Is anybody else having this problem?

I want to know if I should send it in because it's defecting.

Nabs

It's designed to scroll like a wheel. Clockwise > Down, Counter > Up. If you scroll up on the left of the pad, it'll go down.

It's designed to scroll like a wheel. Clockwise > Down, Counter > Up. If you scroll up on the left of the pad, it'll go down.

i've had my controller for like 10 days or however long its been since it offically launched and i actually figured that out yesterday. i was wondering why sometimes when i'd scroll down it would go up

dhonk

Does anybody elses left pad, when used to scroll like on webpages, does it act up. Mine will scroll down sometimes when moving my thumb down on the touchpad and then in the next swipe will decide that swiping down means scroll up.

It's kind of frustrating as I just can't use it to navigate web pages which I would do a lot.

This took me too long, like others said its like an iPod click wheel.

chekhonte

That's really good to know and thanks for the reply. That's going to take some getting used to since my muscle memory has been honed on 10 years of swiping up and down on the side of synpatics laptop touch pads but it's not all that unusual.

EDIT: thanks everyone for the replies. It's a load off to know that. I'll probably use the controller a lot. I've yet to see how long a set of eneloop batteries last in it but I can't wait for using this thing to become second nature. I've been using a trackball mouse for couch internet surfing for 10 years and having a cat knock it off the couch and the little ball popping out is a problem I hope to put behind me.

Nzyme32

Are you aware that the scroll in BPMs web browser is swiping straight up to scroll down and swiping straight down to scroll up (ie like a phone), but in windows or if you are browsing via chrome outside BPM, scrolling is done by circular movement - clockwise is down, anticlockwise is up. I made this mistake when I first got the controller.

If that's not it, I don't have the issue.

There's a physical mechanism in the controller to eject batteries, I would think it would just be a matter of pushing on that hard enough to dislodge it.

Unless, like me, your batteries are an teeny tiny itsy bitsy bit longer than regular ones, in which case they are wedged in good.

Which sucks. Needed to use a screwdriver to get mine out to charge them.

Jams775

30 mins with the controller and it slips out of my hands, bounces off the wall and on to the carpet. Has a little white marks and a god damned nick on the bottom handle part of the controller. I rubbed the white marks out mostly but there's a permanent little nick like a fourth of an inch long and not very deep (nail doesn't really catch on it). Oh well it still works and I guess it's broken in now.

In Fallout 4, is joystick/mouse (trackball mode) the best setting for look mode? I have it set up where LT zooms in and activates the gyro and that's fine, but generally looking around isn't really intuitive to me. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I was wondering if there are decent settings to start from with it.

In Fallout 4, is joystick/mouse (trackball mode) the best setting for look mode? I have it set up where LT zooms in and activates the gyro and that's fine, but generally looking around isn't really intuitive to me. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I was wondering if there are decent settings to start from with it.
Ok no problem, its my first time uploading a config so idk how you'd find it but heres some info:

ID: 557149667
Dollars (Hero Prinny)'s binding (gamepad

also do the following:

Go to the Fallout4Prefs.ini (C:Users[name]DocumentsMy GamesFallout4Fallout4Prefs.ini), under [Controls] put: fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=4.0 or whatever feels most comfortable for you. personally I rock with 3, my brother like 5, don't know how he plays with it like that @_@
Also features quick save and load. Quick save is holding the left back pad thing +a and quick load is the left backpad + b. Also i got f12 for screenshots mapped to holding the left backpad + Y

CO_Andy

Which sucks. Needed to use a screwdriver to get mine out to charge them.
By screwdriver you mean you disassembled the controller? I was thinking about doing that but it might void the warranty.

Oreo said:
No, that's not enough unless you're using the included Duracells.

Miutsu

Does anyone know if there's a way to save/add new templates? would be nice to have a general FPS controller configuration.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've tried all my rechargeables, from a few different brands, and they all go in and out effortlessly. The controller doesn't require that you use just the included Duracells.

I've seen photos on the internet of rechagrable batteries that are just a little bit longer than the regular battery profile, so I'd definitely double check that before using them.

I know it doesn't help you any in your situation, but I think you may be somewhat of an edge case.

This conversation was making me nervous, so I just tried putting eneloops in my controller and they went in and came out just fine. They also appear to be about the same size as the included Duracells. I wonder how wide spread enormous batteries are.

Foxyone

Does anyone know if there's a way to save/add new templates? would be nice to have a general FPS controller configuration.

I know one way at least. VDF files (containing the binding info) can be found in C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\userdata\userid\241100\remote\controller_config\gameid

You may have to feel your way around some of the folders because they are named with numbers, so make sure to make a recognizable name for the file that you want to use as a template. Once you locate that VDF file, just put it inside: Program files (x86)\Steam\controller_base\templates

It should show up with the rest of the options in the Templates tab. If you have the text for someone's controller configuration, you can also paste that into a notepad file and save it with ".vdf" at the end to make it a VDF file, then just put that file into the templates folder so you don't have to go find the correct game folder to put it in.

Miutsu

I know one way at least. VDF files (containing the binding info) can be found in C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\userdata\userid\241100\remote\controller_config\gameid

You may have to feel your way around some of the folders because they are named with numbers, so make sure to make a recognizable name for the file that you want to use as a template. Once you locate that VDF file, just put it inside: Program files (x86)\Steam\controller_base\templates

It should show up with the rest of the options in the Templates tab.

Will try that soon, thanks!

Been testing the controller with DeadCore and it's fantastic.
The game gets hard real fast though :/

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This conversation was making me nervous, so I just tried putting eneloops in my controller and they went in and came out just fine. They also appear to be about the same size as the included Duracells. I wonder how wide spread enormous batteries are.

As a follow up, here is the photo I saw regarding the batteries:

1dZYaJr.jpg

Funny, because a few of the batteries I tested were Duracells and they did fine.

Durante

I have to say, after updating to the beta client, mouse joystick mode is pretty amazing. Not as good as a mouse obviously, but highly compatible and far superior to a thumbstick for camera control/aiming.

The one edge the Steam controller has over the X-box controllers is keyboard/mouse binding support for older titles that don't have X-input or even DirectInput support. So it really REALLY depends on if you want to fuck about with bindings and are playing a bunch of really old no-controller-support titles and want to play them with a controller.
Around 50% of the games I bought this year don't have controller support.

terrible

Banned
I just bought a Steam controller today and out of the box it was pretty horrid. The right trackpad was all jumpy and inaccurate, and I was starting to think that a huge learning curve was ahead of me.

Of course then I realized I didn't update it yet so I let it update. Damn, what a dramatic difference. I've only been playing The Talos Principle so far so I admit I'm not giving it a thorough workout yet but it only took like 30 seconds of gameplay for my jaw to drop due to how natural it felt once I was updated.

I don't expect to be able to adapt quite so quickly to the controller when it comes to games that require a little more speed and precision (not to mention custom configs) but I'm starting to get pretty excited about it.

Blizzard

Banned
I've tried all my rechargeables, from a few different brands, and they all go in and out effortlessly. The controller doesn't require that you use just the included Duracells.

I've seen photos on the internet of rechagrable batteries that are just a little bit longer than the regular battery profile, so I'd definitely double check that before using them.

I know it doesn't help you any in your situation, but I think you may be somewhat of an edge case.
Maybe it also depends on the controller. Even the included Duracells were super tough to get in for me, where I was worried about breaking the controller. I certainly wouldn't describe it as effortless.

viveks86

I have to say, after updating to the beta client, mouse joystick mode is pretty amazing. Not as good as a mouse obviously, but highly compatible and far superior to a thumbstick for camera control/aiming.

Yup. Whoever came up with the idea should get a raise

Iorv3th

As a follow up, here is the photo I saw regarding the batteries:

Funny, because a few of the batteries I tested were Duracells and they did fine.

One of those batteries says EU on it the other says made in USA. Maybe some difference between the two? However AA should all be the same size right?

CO_Andy

Maybe it also depends on the controller. Even the included Duracells were super tough to get in for me, where I was worried about breaking the controller. I certainly wouldn't describe it as effortless.
That's perculiar, because i think it's fairly effortless to put in or take out the included Duracells, unless your pair happens to be different from mine.

sirap

I just bought a Steam controller today and out of the box it was pretty horrid. The right trackpad was all jumpy and inaccurate, and I was starting to think that a huge learning curve was ahead of me.

Of course then I realized I didn't update it yet so I let it update. Damn, what a dramatic difference. I've only been playing The Talos Principle so far so I admit I'm not giving it a thorough workout yet but it only took like 30 seconds of gameplay for my jaw to drop due to how natural it felt once I was updated.

I don't expect to be able to adapt quite so quickly to the controller when it comes to games that require a little more speed and precision (not to mention custom configs) but I'm starting to get pretty excited about it.

Imagine what the alpha/beta folks had to go through before the updates. Goddamn heroes all of you.

CO_Andy

The pair batteries that got stuck in my controller are the exact same size as Eneloops :/

Got a reply from Valve saying i should return the controller for a refund at Gamestop. Unfortunately i bought mine secondhand from eBay, and a month has already passed, so i don't think the seller himself can i get a direct refund either if i gave it back

Out of curiosity, was yours one of the first batches shipped, or a later/GameStop shipment?
First batch back in Oct

Top Bottom