• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nabs

Mirror's Edge feels great with this thing. I have all the main action buttons mapped to the paddles and triggers (slide/jump on the back), and use mapped to B. I never have to take my thumbs off movement/look unless I'm already stationary. I think the game lets you mix and match mouse + controller, but mouse joystick feels just fine once you raise the sensitivity in-game.

Blizzard

Banned
Mirror's Edge feels great with this thing. I have all the main action buttons mapped to the paddles and triggers (slide/jump on the back), and use mapped to B. I never have to take my thumbs off movement/look unless I'm already stationary. I think the game lets you mix and match mouse + controller, but mouse joystick feels just fine once you raise the sensitivity in-game.
I think you said you're using the left physical stick? When I tried with left pad WASD, I was awful, but the left physical stick + right pad worked well for me.

First batch back in Oct
I think mine was from the first 2-3 batches. I uploaded a crappy quality video. I feel like the "snap" sounds are louder in real life, but maybe you can at least tell it takes some force even with the plain Duracells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaVJmHmtuAE

Durante

I've been playing Tales of Zestiria with this, and in addition to joystick camera being awseome the paddles are also really nice. I have the more common two of the 4 d-pad actions mapped to those, so I don't need to move my thumb off the joystick to do them.

Arulan

Is your reason for using mouse joystick mode for games which do not support simultaneous Xinput and M&K input? I haven't messed with mouse joystick mode too much, but I don't recall it being as good as mouse mode.

Durante

For games like Zestiria, it makes it much easier for the game not to get confused by multiple inputs especially with local coop (since every players' inputs come from only their own input device).

Also, these console ports don't usually need the utmost precision in camera manipulation, so the significantly better-than-thumbstick handling of mouse joystick mode is "good enough".

Foxyone

I see that the Steam controller can wake up a PC in sleep mode, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to open the Steam overlay to enter a password for those of us that may want them. Not the most important of things because it could be removed, but is there any chance an update could allow the Steam keyboard to be used at a password screen? Also, is there any way a controller like this could possibly turn on a PC that is completely off? The thought of not having to get up to turn it on is nice, but perhaps not enough if the system would passively use some power just for that ability.

Jams775

I see that the Steam controller can wake up a PC in sleep mode, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to open the Steam overlay to enter a password for those of us that may want them. Not the most important of things because it could be removed, but is there any chance an update could allow the Steam keyboard to be used at a password screen? Also, is there any way a controller like this could possibly turn on a PC that is completely off? The thought of not having to get up to turn it on is nice, but perhaps not enough if the system would passively use some power just for that ability.

I don't know what version of Windows you have but I use the picture gesture sign in and that worked the one time I tried it since all you need is mouse control and left click.

Abitor

By screwdriver you mean you disassembled the controller? I was thinking about doing that but it might void the warranty.

No, that's not enough unless you're using the included Duracells.

No there is a small hole you can put in a screwdriver and press the battery out of the controller no need to disassembled the controller i do it the same myself with my eneloops.

Foxyone

Would it be worth having a dedicated thread for suggestions to improve the controller, or would that best be left to just emailing suggestions? I don't know if they actually look through threads tbh.

I don't know what version of Windows you have but I use the picture gesture sign in and that worked the one time I tried it since all you need is mouse control and left click.

I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Do people like battlefront with the Steam Controller? Mine wasn't here in time to test the beta. I'm really on the fence about this, given the player count and low content.

hepburn3d

What are people doing to get round the controller stopping when Windows alerts come up? Is this something that will get fixed? I'd love to know.

robotrock

Banned
Do people like battlefront with the Steam Controller? Mine wasn't here in time to test the beta. I'm really on the fence about this, given the player count and low content.

I have no idea how to get the Steam overlay working in it. I can't seem to find good settings to use with the game either.

Nete

I have no idea how to get the Steam overlay working in it. I can't seem to find good settings to use with the game either.

Try this. Worked fine during the beta, at least for the Steam overlay part. I didn't had the controller back then, nor I have the game now.

1- Add the game's .exe on Steam as usual.
2- Check the game properties on Steam. On 'Target", and after a blank space, add the path to Origin's .exe. For instance, the Target on my Battlefront beta looks like this:

"D:\jocs\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront Beta\starwarsbattlefront.exe" "D:\jocs\Origin\Origin.exe"

3- Go to Origin application settings. In "General", uncheck "Automatically launch Origin when I log on to Win”. In "Origin in Game", uncheck “Enable Origin In Game” to disable Origin overlay as it can give you some troubles with Steam overlay. In “Advanced”, check “Automatically exit Origin after closing game”. You will only need to do this once.

With this, when you launch the game from Steam, Origin will also be launched, then the game, and you should have full access to Steam overlay. Once you exit the game, Origin will be automatically closed.

Nzyme32

Anyone having issues with right pad when using the top ranked Binding of Isaac community bindings - go to the right pad settings and change "radial with overlap" to "radial without overlap".

Since binding if Isaac doesn't support diagnal tears, the "with overlap" setting will only give you a narrow band of left and right firing since all diagnal inputs (ie two buttons overlapping) will default to either up or down. "Radial without overlap" gives you 4 equal quartets of the right pad for the 4 directions.

Foxyone

It was weird, but after initially giving up on the idea of playing FPS games with the controller, I tried playing CS:GO like a week later and I actually won my first game of TDM with it, and still did near the top the following few games. When I first tried a week ago, my aim was all over the place and most of my kills were luck, but this time I was actually able to decently take aim and get kills intentionally. I don't know if it made much of a difference, but I felt that I'd try and get used to the controller first in more comfortable types of games before I tried coming back to the more complex type of games that require precision and speed.

madmook

I've only tried some Left4Dead2 so far, but now I know what ya'll mean about re-learning to use a controller. I haven't felt this way since I was a kid struggling with the N64's analog stick to get Mario up the goddamn mountain in level one of Mario 64.

Man, I'm not buying anymore non-Steam games. Whenever I try to use the Steam controller with Ass Creed Syndicate when the controller turns off after non-use, the game doesn't detect it when you turn it back on until you restart the game. And sometimes upon starting the game it simply isn't recognized at all. I'll just start selling Uplay codes that come with my graphics card in the future.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im sure this is an odd question, but is there some sort of software to get direct imput with this? or at least a way to get this to work with xpadder?

atr0cious

Trying to make a binding thats all touchpads for Counterstrike and I can't find the gyro settings. Also whenever I pick a binding set they don't show up, which is why I've had to just map them myself. I might need to update my controller, but I haven't seen how.

edit: Ok, so that symbol on the bottom isn't just some new steam design. Kind of weird it's so separate, but I guess it makes sense.

Zojirushi

Hey, sorrry if this has been asked before but is there a way to access community configurations for games that I own but not on steam but on other platforms like GOG or Uplay?

I set a shortcut in steam but steam obviously doesn't recognise the game in its database hence I can't access community configurations

Some sort of "show me community configs for..." option would be really nice.

It's kinda tedious trying to figure out all the configurations for all the non steam games by yourself when you know the internet hivemind has probably already found a great solution.

laxu

Hey, sorrry if this has been asked before but is there a way to access community configurations for games that I own but not on steam but on other platforms like GOG or Uplay?

I set a shortcut in steam but steam obviously doesn't recognise the game in its database hence I can't access community configurations

Some sort of "show me community configs for..." option would be really nice.

It's kinda tedious trying to figure out all the configurations for all the non steam games by yourself when you know the internet hivemind has probably already found a great solution.

Not yet afaik. Shortcuts added create their own game ID which doesn't map to what the game's ID is on Steam so that's why you don't get the configs. This was one of the first things I reported to Valve's feedback email.

Not yet afaik. Shortcuts added create their own game ID which doesn't map to what the game's ID is on Steam so that's why you don't get the configs. This was one of the first things I reported to Valve's feedback email.

You gotta ask yourself why Valve would ever want to add that feature and make it so people have no issues purchasing from other storefronts.

I think I've decided to stick with the Xbox One controller for anything that's designed to work with a controller and use the Steam Controller for anything else.

Caffeine

has anyone tried any of the final fantasy games. I just ordered the controller today from steam. getting tired of using my 360 controller for 10 years now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You gotta ask yourself why Valve would ever want to add that feature and make it so people have no issues purchasing from other storefronts.
I've asked that to myself since day one. And I don't yet have a good answer. Weak. I wish they would but I doubt it. Too bad.

kodecraft

I think I've decided to stick with the Xbox One controller for anything that's designed to work with a controller and use the Steam Controller for anything else.

This sounds the most plausible. I agree, using the Xbox controller just 'feels' so damn good for controller games.

Foxyone

I keep telling my bf all about this controller and my experience with it, but he shows nothing but contempt towards it. He believes in pure m + kb supremacy and won't entertain the idea of even using a gamepad because "PC games should be played with m + kb" and "controllers are (sh** and) for consoles", which is why he has a fancy mouse for gaming. I made him rage-quit Counter Strike GO by outscoring him in both of two games with the controller in TDM.

Nzyme32

Having a great time with Dark Souls 1. I hadn't bothered exploring anything outside of tweaking the right pad analogue emulation, which I thought was fine at the time, but today messed around with the mouse-joystick mode which I'd not tried in DS. It works really well, but as with all third person games, can be a chore when it comes to spiral staircases or other times when I am wanting a continual turn. So I enabled the edge spin with a comfortable radius and speed, and I love it. Target locking works fine too with just a little swipe. Not sure how well veteran players would like this sort of thing though; I've only played around 15hrs or so, which might make it easier to switch to this kind of thing

atr0cious

I keep telling my bf all about this controller and my experience with it, but he shows nothing but contempt towards it. He believes in pure m + kb supremacy and won't entertain the idea of even using a gamepad because "PC games should be played with m + kb" and "controllers are (sh** and) for consoles", which is why he has a fancy mouse for gaming. I made him rage-quit Counter Strike GO by outscoring him in both of two games with the controller in TDM.
Do you have published configs?

Oreoleo

Can someone that owns Beat Hazard check to see if their triggers work when set up in gamepad mode? They don't register at all for me until I bind them to something else (right and left stick click, for example), and I assume it's something to do with the game cause they work everywhere else, but it seems odd. X-input with default bindings should be completely plug-n-play, no?

Foxyone

Do you have published configs?

I just saved it publicly as "belmonkey current bindings", so it may or may not be around the bottom of the community list. Those are just settings that work ok for my needs atm, which is TDM for practice. I really don't know how other people have their controllers set up for the game, but I seem to get the impression that they have smoother motions than I do. I'm still getting used to the thing and my aim can still leave something to be desired at times (same with m + kb), but I find it very satisfying to use low sensitivity gyro to control recoil and get kills from a distance. I definitely do still feel handicapped when using it compared to m + kb, although thus far that hasn't stopped me from coming out ahead of many non-controller users in random games (at least in score). Hopefully with some more practice, any controller advantages might help make up more for shortcomings compared to m + kb.

Because you shouldn't want your own storefront and controller solution to be a janky piece of shit.

But it's not a janky piece of shit if you get the Steam version. Hence why they should never allow community configs or anything else special for non-Steam games unless they want to lose marketshare.

Blizzard

Banned
Mirror's Edge is perfect with the Steam Controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLq-TW-ph8

I'm going to need to add gyro controls to my setup after watching that.
I see that like both of us, even that config uses the physical stick instead of the left pad. I'm glad the physical stick is still on the controller.

I just saved it publicly as "belmonkey current bindings", so it may or may not be around the bottom of the community list. Those are just settings that work ok for my needs atm, which is TDM for practice. I really don't know how other people have their controllers set up for the game, but I seem to get the impression that they have smoother motions than I do. I'm still getting used to the thing and my aim can still leave something to be desired at times (same with m + kb), but I find it very satisfying to use low sensitivity gyro to control recoil and get kills from a distance. I definitely do still feel handicapped when using it compared to m + kb, although thus far that hasn't stopped me from coming out ahead of many non-controller users in random games (at least in score). Hopefully with some more practice, any controller advantages might help make up more for shortcomings compared to m + kb.
How did you get custom bindings to work? I was reading that CSGO doesn't work with anything other than the official profile:

For some reason no bindings besides the official one work for CSGO. Anybody encountered this?
Yeah I saw this too...very weird.

Foxyone

How did you get custom bindings to work? I was reading that CSGO doesn't work with anything other than the official profile:

I think I selected the mouse and keyboard template, which weirdly started with no bindings whatsoever, so I just worked from there and switched to legacy settings when I could so I knew what I was putting where. Some of the official labeled "action bindings" like "buy weapon" didn't seem to be doing their job, so I just used the keyboard buttons themselves from legacy settings.

Odrion

Banned
But it's not a janky piece of shit if you get the Steam version. Hence why they should never allow community configs or anything else special for non-Steam games unless they want to lose marketshare.

That it's inconsistent means this current solution is janky. If Valve knows what is good for them, what they historically know what's good for them, they will open up the controller configurator to other unofficial programs, as that would keep their customers using other programs within the Steam service and make their current solution less janky.

Blizzard

Banned
That it's inconsistent means this current solution is janky. If Valve knows what is good for them, what they historically know what's good for them, they will open up the controller configurator to other unofficial programs, as that would keep their customers using other programs within the Steam service and make their current solution less janky.
I'm not sure I see the historical argument here. Historically, some other companies have started taking games off Steam and moving to storefronts like Origin instead. Is the argument that allowing people to use Steam as a wrapper at least keeps people reminded that Steam exists, making it less likely they will move away? I don't feel like it makes a lot of difference either way. Perhaps I'm wrong.

hepburn3d

GG :) hope you were super chilled about kicking his ass. Like "so am I winning? I'm not sure I get this game?" :p

Odrion

Banned
I'm not sure I see the historical argument here. Historically, some other companies have started taking games off Steam and moving to storefronts like Origin instead. Is the argument that allowing people to use Steam as a wrapper at least keeps people reminded that Steam exists, making it less likely they will move away? I don't feel like it makes a lot of difference either way. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Valve is okay with companies implementing their games service within their products on Steam, they're okay with other game services being on SteamOS and they're okay with their users using all their other services such as broadcasting and in-home streaming with non-Steam games. Valve purposely restricting the configurator tool because they don't want you playing non-Steam games is VERY uncharacteristically Valve.

Blizzard

Banned
Valve is okay with companies implementing their DRM service within their products on Steam, they're okay with other DRM services being on SteamOS and they're okay with their users using all their other services such as broadcasting and streaming with non-Steam games. Valve purposely restricting the configurator tool because they don't want you playing non-Steam games is VERY uncharacteristically Valve.
Is it a case of Valve purposely restricting the config tool, or a case of not yet implementing support for manually loaded configurations?

For your cases:
  • DRM in a product on Steam means Valve gets a cut.
  • DRM on SteamOS is something Valve can't legally control as far as I know -- it's Linux.
  • Broadcasting and streaming "just work" from the overlay, not much additional development cost as far as I know. See below about configurations.

How would community configurations for non-Steam games work? Someone just mentioned that addding a non-Steam shortcut means a new game ID gets created, and that's presumably unique for any given user. That means to share configurations, Valve would have to create a completely non-Steam-specific hosting service for people to browse and download configurations for competing games, each of which might have multiple conflicting names if users provided them ("Star Wars Battlefront" versus "Starwars Battlefront" etc.). That seems like work and cost to me for little benefit, so at least it's understandable if it's a low priority for Valve.

They could of course allow manual configurations that people save locally. That would be nice to have if it doesn't exist already.

Top Bottom