• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

What about Requiem for a Dream cards? How much you figure an "ass-to-ass" foil would get?

1380973864050.gif

edited: yo! Fantasy Life coming to steam too
whatta day

Aw man you got my hopes up for a moment. Fantasy Life is one of my favorite games on the 3DS.

damn man, I know its an odd thing to complain about since i already put 71 hrs into it but god damn fallout 4 is casualized beyond belief. its barely an rpg now. there are little to no quests, for the past 3 days I went out exploring to try and find some non faction quests but no luck, and then locations have no story to them whatsoever like fo3 and nv did. in those 2 you'd go to a building and right from the get go you'd find a note or terminal about someone who was there before, (s)he could have been from the world before the bombs or someone that was there a month before you. I've found like a total of 5 of those in fo4. I'm not even gonna mention the new garbage dialogue system cause its been discussed 100s of times, but if it wasn't obvious enough, its garbage. I hope its dropped after this game but I doubt that since voiced protag is what the mainstream wants no matter how much it hurts the final product. I think I'm just gonna wrap up the main story and wait till mods come out. its not a bad, its just not the game I wanted, instead its something else using the fallout name.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I finished it today after 55 hours played. The last 5 or so hours were just me powering through the main quest because I was completely fed up of the game.

Unlike you though I did find a few interesting locations. Places with their own mini story that seemed to be better written than the rest of the game. At the same time I think I probably left half the map unexplored because everything else was bogging down the experience.

I agree with you that voice acting hurt the game severely. One of my pet peeves was the charisma system to persuade people led to some truly bizarre tonal changes in the dialog.

"You burnt my house down! I'm going to kill you now"
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
*Charisma check passes*
"I didn't like that house anyway. Do you want some tea?"

It's a shame because dialogs almost never change the outcome of anything. All four choices just lead to same conclusion. It's like they distilled the essence of Telltale games right down to it's core.

So again, I'm reluctant to say it's a bad game because after all I did put a lot of time into it. It's just a very disappointing one.

Also, I cannot think of a single thing that this game does better than The Witcher 3.

I was pretty inebriated by that point in the movie, but my god. The whole back half of that movie is a real tough watch.

The movie is the pure definition of spiraling out of control.

In my opinion it's scarier than most horror movies.

I wonder what "Meru" is. Also, Spooky's House of Jump Scares DLC/sequel/whatever confirmed.

This reference is lost on me, and also disturbs me at the same time. I'd peg it for $3.

Can anyone think up of game abbreviations that would match this?

This is suspicious.

Huh?

I think crazyrabbits said something about Alienware DLC in KF2 and DD2; looks like we can add Coffin Dodgers to that.

Those Obsidian things are Dirty Bomb related I believe.

zkylon

zkylewd
dr langeskov, the tiger and the terribly cursed emerald is a pretty entertaining little thing that takes really no time and it's impossible to go away with unamused

it's specially fun if you know a bit about game development and can appreciate the ways they've metaphore'd the different elements a game's made of

Adnor

Banned
wanted to try Dying Light's public Co-Op stuff but it says No Matches Found in both Quick Join and Find Game..

anything im missing?

Did you find anything? I'm this close to buying the game before Nuuvem's discount ends, but no one of my friends want to play.

I think crazyrabbits said something about Alienware DLC in KF2 and DD2; looks like we can add Coffin Dodgers to that.

Yes, there were five listings in the leak. "Alienware" and "Alienware v2" are referring to the Dirty Bomb cases. The Coffin Dodgers and KF2 ones were self-explanatory. The only other listing was a "Alienware Exclusive Cape", which I believe is from Dungeon Defenders II because of how much they've played it on-stream/the fact that most DLC's have bonus capes as a component.

so i have a mystery ghost steam key... when you try to redeem it, steam hangs forever... and then finally says "your account already owns this product" without telling me what it is... spoooky

if you want to try:
TG25D-RPTTN-FLMKQ

The only key I've ever seen that "hangs up" in this fashion was a DLC I won for Trainz Simulator 12, although it told me that I needed to own the base game instead (I already had it). No idea what this key is, though.

Sarcasm

Did you find anything? I'm this close to buying the game before Nuuvem's discount ends, but no one of my friends want to play.

wanted to try Dying Light's public Co-Op stuff but it says No Matches Found in both Quick Join and Find Game..

anything im missing?

Friends.

You also need to get past the tutorial ingame. Most people don't turn online on or they switch it to friends only.

I just played with Spirit btw. But he is a friend.

Tenrius

Finished the GOG version of Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (my playthrough curiously coincided with Dusk Golem's ongoing stream of Dark Corners of the Earth, a much later Cthulhu game). I thought it was a nice ride, but most of the puzzles made absolutely zero sense and were pretty much impossible to figure out without a walkthrough.

Perhaps the most obtuse example:
at one point later in the game you need to visit a particular native American man who never came up before that point. The only thing that you know is that he lives somewhere deep in the forest and you're also told that you'll need to find a bow, an arrow and a feather somewher in the village. The solution is to... wander through the game's extensive forest area until you find a stump (yes, it's just a stump, it's not special in any way). You have to use the feather on the stump which makes your character turn into a bird and fly to the Indian's house. Good luck figuring that out on your own. The bow and the arrow is a separate matter entirely, but they are also gotten in a really obtuse way: it involves examining a nondescript section of the floor in a locked house you have no real reason to go into.

The story was good though, like a rollercoaster through the Cthulhu mythos and there were a couple of seriously creepy moments. However, there is something weird about the story, particularly the ending:
after almost single-handedly beating a bunch of Great Old Ones in straight-up magical combat (let alone just seeing them and reading the Necronomicon!), the protagonist does not go insane and, in fact, almost never does he lose his pleasant composure

A note on the gameplay: it's not a point-and-click game, it controls more like Alone in the Dark/Resident Evil in 2D and sans combat. I didn't initially know it was made (or at least published) by the Alone in the Dark guys, but it makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and if you get the GOG version of the game, make sure to check out all the wonderful extras. There's a couple of official documents and a couple of letters, Infocom-style "feelies".

Salsa

Friends.

You also need to get past the tutorial ingame. Most people don't turn online on or they switch it to friends only.

I just played with Spirit btw. But he is a friend.

I mean, there's a public option right? that's what im using. Is just no one playing?

buy it and we'll play

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ludoku -- MB-8CCB7F5B75CCF83B - Taken by Costa1774. 4 entrants total.

t1449454818z1.png

puzzle game with 10/10 positive reviews

Momentary

Banned
All right. Here are the results for the free copy of DARIUSBURST.

header.jpg

I'm only showing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

1st: Blu(e) - 12
2nd: Seraphis Cain - 11
3rd: Durante, Trailmix, InfiniteNine - 10

I'm going to keep my lists confidential, since I'll probably be doing something similar to this again for the next big release out there. This also lets people know how close they were with their lists this go around. With that said, my mind also changes with time and new releases.

Thanks to those who played.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
All right. Here are the results for the free copy of DARIUSBURST.

header.jpg

I'm only showing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

1st: Blu(e) - 12
2nd: Seraphis Cain - 11
3rd: Durante, Trailmix, InfiniteNine - 10

I'm going to keep my lists confidential, since I'll probably be doing something similar to this again for the next big release out there. This also lets people know how close they were with their lists this go around. With that said, my mind also changes with time and new releases.

Thanks to those who played.

Aww I guess I'll grab it when I get paid later this month then. Glad to be one of the top peeps though!

Aw man you got my hopes up for a moment. Fantasy Life is one of my favorite games on the 3DS.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I finished it today after 55 hours played. The last 5 or so hours were just me powering through the main quest because I was completely fed up of the game.

Unlike you though I did find a few interesting locations. Places with their own mini story that seemed to be better written than the rest of the game. At the same time I think I probably left half the map unexplored because everything else was bogging down the experience.

I agree with you that voice acting hurt the game severely. One of my pet peeves was the charisma system to persuade people led to some truly bizarre tonal changes in the dialog.

"You burnt my house down! I'm going to kill you now"
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
*Charisma check passes*
"I didn't like that house anyway. Do you want some tea?"

It's a shame because dialogs almost never change the outcome of anything. All four choices just lead to same conclusion. It's like they distilled the essence of Telltale games right down to it's core.

So again, I'm reluctant to say it's a bad game because after all I did put a lot of time into it. It's just a very disappointing one.

Also, I cannot think of a single thing that this game does better than The Witcher 3.

In my opinion it's scarier than most horror movies.

imo the wticher series is literally the one franchise that has done voiced protag good. every other game that does it does a very poor job. But then again garelt is an established character so maybe its cause of that. Either way I hope we get another spinoff fallout game that looks more closely at NV than fo4. Pls based god, give me a true fallout rpg :(

psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series

Money.

I'd love to read more confirmation from SE regarding this though. The original wording is this, not episodic.
"FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

The only way I can see myself investing in this from the get-go is if they massively increase the amount of content in each episode.

Like, in... Part 1 (I don't want to use that term), Midgar is much more fully realized, you can visit other sectors and new/added shops, and there are more story beats/sidequests that are just as meaty as those from the original game.

I hope to God they aren't foregoing the open-world concept once you leave Midgar.

The only way I can see myself investing in this from the get-go is if they massively increase the amount of content in each episode.

Like, in... Part 1 (I don't want to use that term), Midgar is much more fully realized, you can visit other sectors and new/added shops, and there are more story beats/sidequests that are just as meaty as those from the original game.

I hope to God they aren't foregoing the open-world concept once you leave Midgar.

The main problem with episodic/multi-part games is, you probably won't be able to revisit locations from the previous episodes/parts when you're playing the newest one. It'll be more linear than what FFVII was originally.

The main problem with episodic/multi-part games is, you probably won't be able to revisit locations from the previous episodes/parts when you're playing the newest one. It'll be more linear than what FFVII was originally.

Well, hearing that just kills my hype even more. One of my favorite parts of the original game was the return to Midgar when you find the Gate key, and you can go in and get little extra bits of content (Cid fixing the faulty machine that shoots at you in Wall Market, the explanation of where the sickly man living in the sewer tunnel went, the added dialogue from the kids in the church, the Thief Glove) that weren't there before.

I mean, I guess I can understand why they're doing it, but unless they're layering on a boatload of extra content in each episode, this is going to come off looking dumb as hell. I don't want a series of vignettes. Hell, even XIII can pull off something of this magnitude (the 8-10 hour "linear" mode then open-world). I don't mind waiting a couple extra years if it meant we could get a complete game.

dot

I've never played FFVII or any episodic games before so i'm not sure what to think to be honest. I guess i don't really mind it, it'll be interesting for an jrpg i suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom