• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to God they don't relegate the Gold Saucer to a single episode.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. The overworld is such a huge part of the experience that I can't believe for a second that they'd chop or condense it down to meet an episodic structure.

Like, the whole buildup of Sephiroth in the first place is when you start venturing towards Kalm and you come across that slain monster at the entrance to the desert. Or how the entire Chocobo sidequest is basically a build-up to getting the means of transportation to get to that lone island in the northeast corner of the map and grabbing the KOTR materia. Or how you can revisit locations later to get extra dialogue or replay minigames/finish sidequests (like Wutai in discs 2/3).

I hope to God they don't relegate the Gold Saucer to a single episode.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. The overworld is such a huge part of the experience that I can't believe for a second that they'd chop or condense it down to meet an episodic structure.

Like, the whole buildup of Sephiroth in the first place is when you start venturing towards Kalm and you come across that slain monster at the entrance to the desert. Or how the entire Chocobo sidequest is basically a build-up to getting the means of transportation to get to that lone island in the northeast corner of the map and grabbing the KOTR materia. Or how you can revisit locations later to get extra dialogue or replay minigames/finish sidequests (like Wutai in discs 2/3).

Now I really don't like this.

tuxfool

Banned
What I don't get is how nobody wondered how they would justifiably produce the entirety or even a large part FF7 with today's graphics?

How come the possibility of it being split up, didn't enter the minds of so many people?

What I don't get is how nobody wondered how they would justifiably produce the entirety or even a large part FF7 with today's graphics?

How come the possibility of it being split up, didn't enter the minds of so many people?

i was expecting them to cut a lot of the side content/speed through via cutscenes and making the game super linear ala 13.

i was expecting them to cut a lot of the side content/speed through via cutscenes and making the game super linear ala 13.

But even 13 opens up after the initial 8-10 hour "linear" section, much like VII does.

As I said before, the only way I can see myself investing in this is if each part has a heaping ton of extra content in it. Like, Part 1 has a hub space (the slums) that has more shops, sidequests and NPCs, you can take on side jobs for Avalanche for extra pay, and you can visit areas that were only glimpsed in the original.

If this whole thing is just going to be a series of linear setpieces with no real connective gameplay beyond "how we got here" cutscenes to start and end each part, and chopping out the overworld entirely, there's really no point.

Still wish it had just been UE4 graphics over the original game. That was all I wanted plus new CGs.

Nah, the original game is old as dirt and didn't age well, just like pretty much all FF games, I'm glad they are modernizing it for people. I know I'm interested in playing it now that it's going to have actually decent combat now.

tuxfool

Banned
i don't care either way. I'm expecting very little from modern square enix to begin with. Also who said they still won't do that? ;) don't put it past them

Sure. That certainly helps.

That way you don't have to be like people in that thread "My Hype, help, won't god think of my hype"

Bike and snowboard sequence DLCs.

I'd like to know how the fuck they plan on implementing Fort Condor. It's such a huge part of the original game, despite being a sidequest, precisely because it can be taken in bits and pieces at various points throughout your adventure (and optimally, it can and should be visited as much as possible to get the maximum number of rewards from it). It's a sidequest that spans two discs and ties into the Huge Materia quest from the second disc.

When I completed the game earlier this year, I made it a point to follow a guide that showed how to 100% that sidequest, and was surprised by how much it encouraged you to violate common sense (as in, abandon your current mission) in order to go back and visit it for another battle.

tuxfool

Banned
I find it funny how SE has been explaining it for years and years, that FF7 remake would not be feasible financially. If this was true for the PS3 days then it is even more true today.

Did people magically think that somehow they'd manage to make this on the cheap or on the quick?

I guess I'll quote this again. They have talked about this for years and people suddenly forgot because, you know, "hype".

midgar will be episode one. Only midgar. I'm calling it now

also it will cost $20. season 1 will be 3 episodes each costing $20, season one won't even be disc 1, like 3/4ths of it.

Adnor

Banned
I wonder how long each episode will be. I doubt the first episode will be all of Midgar, but where would be the best place to end it?

Edit: lol ^^^^

I wonder how long each episode will be. I doubt the first episode will be all of Midgar, but where would be the best place to end it?

Edit: lol ^^^^

you bring up a good point, midgar was like 12 hrs or something. Midgar will be season 1. 3 episodes, 20 bucks a pop. yes, this is more realistic knowing modern square enix, and even with that it won't cover all the stuff in the original midgar.

That still wouldn't make the project more feasible financially as a single product.

It all depends on the pricing and the number of episodes. If this is something that takes places over 8-10 episodes with a $20 pricetag per piece, it's no bueno. Because you can bet that they're going to try and replicate all of the setpieces in one form or another.

And let's be honest. The notion that this isn't feasible as a project is bullshit in the wake of games like MGSV and Witcher 3.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What did FF7 introduce that wasn't in previous titles beyond it's use of "movie like CGI"? Most of it's boons and faults I can think of were also present in other RPGs.

tuxfool

Banned
And let's be honest. The notion that this isn't feasible as a project is bullshit in the wake of games like MGSV and Witcher 3.

Think of how many completely unique areas FF7 had. You had a reactor, cyber punk downtown area, a church, a theme park, a slum, a multi-level corporate building, a canyon village, and way more, all of which were enterable and explorable.

You can't compare it to Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls V, or GTA V, all of which have at most 5 different types of environments, with lots of reused assets. GTA has a fair amount of unique buildings, but you can't enter most of them. All three games have more cohesive worlds than FF7.

Doing FF7 in full 3D with state of the art graphics is a mammoth undertaking with no precedent.

You also have Nibelheim, Wutai, Gold Saucer, Various different biomes, Forgotten City and the list goes on and on.

Go to a FF7 wiki and look up the number of unique locations with very different assets and foundations. Then get back to me.

Also Witcher 3 was made in Poland, and MGSV was extremely undercooked as a world.

You also have Nibelheim, Wutai, Gold Saucer, Various Forests, Forgotten City and the list goes on and on.

Go to a FF7 wiki and look up the number of unique locations with very different assets and foundations. Then get back to me.

I am well aware. I more-or-less 100%-ed the game earlier this year.

I'm not asking for a 1-to-1 remake. Yet, I can't support something like this if it's going to chop out fundamentally-huge sections of the experience (i.e. the overworld). Yes, it's a massive game, but they could just as easily scale down or have large segmented areas like MGSV or make it a bit more streamlined in terms of asset usage.

I fail to see how chopping this up and releasing it in episodes is going to engender more fan sympathy than waiting longer and releasing a full product.

~Kinggi~

Banned
What did FF7 introduce that wasn't in previous titles beyond it's use of "movie like CGI"? Most of it's boons and faults I can think of were also present in other RPGs.

i just remember being a young lad sitting in the car at night looking at the case seeing 'one of the bet games ever' after reading a review where it got 9.7 for being amazing. And then playing it like an addict for a month and being completely blown away by a whole new type of game i didnt realize existed (jrpg)

so ill pay 200$ for this if they do it right.

tuxfool

Banned
I fail to see how chopping this up and releasing it in episodes is going to engender more fan sympathy than waiting longer and releasing a full product.

This isn't about fan sympathy. It is about financial realities. SE have been telling people this for more than 10 years.

They want to make a large project that could potentially take a very long time to complete. During that time do you think that they want to keep sinking money into the project without getting a return?

but they could just as easily scale down or have large segmented areas like MGSV or make it a bit more streamlined in terms of asset usage.
Who says they are not? We know absolutely nothing about how they are implementing this. We only have an overview of 140 characters.

IMHO, if they implemented their more overworld areas like it is done in Xenoblade (the first), that would be the best compromise.

Jawmuncher

If they want to do it and not freak people out as much, I think following the Starcraft 2 mode would be best. If they're serious about adding more content to areas, then it could work out in someways with that in that sort of mode. Can't see them going past a trilogy though, or else people are gonna tell them to fuck off. Which is the same issue with "episodic" can't imagine them offering a ton of episodes for the same price total.

Guys, Ni No Kuni 2 tho.

Whats up with the trailer going "the boy king"

a king can only be male, why did they feel the need to add boy in front of king? its as if they went "yo guys don't you think he kinda looks like a girl? lets just add boy in front of king that way there is no confusion"

like seriously, I'm not the only one who found that odd right?

Jawmuncher

Guys, Ni No Kuni 2 tho.

a king can only be male, why did they feel the need to add boy in front of king? its as if they went "yo guys don't you think he kinda looks like a girl? lets just add boy in front of king that way there is no confusion"

The twist is that it isn't a boy

Shepard

Guys, Ni No Kuni 2 tho.

Boy king as in young king. He kinda looks like a girl, though.

This isn't about fan sympathy. It is about financial realities.

They want to make a large project that could potentially take a very long time to complete. During that time do you think that they want to keep sinking money into the project without getting a return?

You're talking about one of the few standalone sequels of any type of media that has inspired an entire expanded universe on its own. Mobile games, books, an animated movie, tie-in games for console release. FF7 has long been looked as Square's "emergency button" that they'd activate if and when things got dire for them as a company. It's pretty much the definition of a moneymaker.

A remake is going to sell like hotcakes, no matter whether it's a full release or episodic. This has nothing to do with whether or not the project is large enough, and everything to do with how much money they can make from the fanbase. While I don't doubt that this decision was partially motivated by wanting to get a product out first and foremost, it's going to be just as motivated by what they can get from the fanbase. That means episodes galore, with feedback informing future installments and DLC plans.

Who says they are not? We know absolutely nothing about how they are implementing this. We only have an overview of 140 characters.

IMHO, if they implemented their more overworld areas like it is done in Xenoblade (the first), that would be the best compromise.

Alright, show me an episodic game that retains an overworld between its installments.

iosefe

i honestly think FF7 in an episodic format could work as a 3 parter, no more than that. hopefully less

there are good points where it can be split for narrative cohesion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom