• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

i honestly think FF7 in an episodic format could work as a 3 parter, no more than that. hopefully less

there are good points where it can be split for narrative cohesion

Yep making the game a new trilogy could work. Making it episodic like a TT game I don't think would be a good idea.

ExoSoul

Banned
I'd be down with a two part FF VII as long as the first part ends with "Insert Disc 2"

I'm not down with a episodic FF, give me a full game. Saddly it'll sell and SE will think this is a valid format because it's FF VII

that would make him the queen then.
lol yea he really does. at first I thought he was, he looks and sounds like one.

Ever thought that maybe King is his family name and they're going "oh that boy King, such a rascal"?

Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean there isn't a way to do it. As I said we know nothing.

Come on, don't avoid the question, especially not after I just spent a page pointing out various points where an overworld lends itself greatly to the overall experience.

I would be perfectly fine with sacrificing unique assets in favor of a streamlined (but bolstered) remake if it meant having a complete game.

GaussTek

Yep making the game a new trilogy could work. Making it episodic like a TT game I don't think would be a good idea.

I agree with you guys. No more than 3 parts would be good enough.

By the way, lol at the people believing that the "multi-part" thing could also mean that they are remaking stuff like Crisis Core and/or other stuff from the compilation. FF VII alone is too ambitious for S-E to remake, now imagine adding more games. I mean, I can see them adding additional scenes expanding with stuff from the other games/media, but there's now way that they are remaking them completely.

tuxfool

Banned
Come on, don't avoid the question, especially not after I just spent a page pointing out various points where an overworld lends itself greatly to the overall experience.

I would be perfectly fine with sacrificing unique assets in favor of a streamlined (but bolstered) remake if it meant having a complete game.

I already explained. The Xenoblade method of have very large interconnected segments would be perfectly feasible.

As "episodes" get added new areas according to the story get added, and the previous areas get bolstered. It should also be noted that they have already stated that it won't be a faithful reproduction of the story in the original game so they can tweak things to work better.

I already explained. The Xenoblade method of have very large interconnected segments would be perfectly feasible.

As "episodes" get added new areas according to the story get added, and the previous areas get bolstered.

And yet, Xenoblade is a single game that didn't need to be chopped up for "episodes", despite having... what, 100+ hours of content if you're factoring in sidequests?

Episodic games tend to lend themselves to story-driven experiences, as we've seen quite a few times over the last few years. I don't know how that's going to work with an RPG, nor what sacrifices will need to be made to see it get to the finish line.

I've never seen an episodic game add and augment itself to be bigger as time goes on. The whole point of episodic games is slices of content.

tuxfool

Banned
And yet, Xenoblade is a single game that didn't need to be chopped up for "episodes", despite having... what, 100+ hours of content if you're factoring in sidequests?

Episodic games tend to lend themselves to story-driven experiences, as we've seen quite a few times over the last few years. I don't know how that's going to work with an RPG, nor what sacrifices will need to be made to see it get to the finish line.

I've never seen an episodic game add and augment itself to be bigger as time goes on. The whole point of episodic games is slices of content.

Slices of story. You have to remember that FF7 for the most part of the game is heavily gated by story events. There are plenty of optional places to go between the story beats but for the most part it is fairly directed. The full overworld is only really opened up once you get the Highwind.

You'll have to take note of the way the Witcher 3 handled its first expansion. It expanded the overworld and populated a new area, but then also added more quests and story beats in the old areas.

Slices of story. You have to remember that FF7 for the most part of the game is heavily gated by story events. There are plenty of optional places to go between the story beats but for the most part it is fairly directed. The full overworld is only really opened up once you get the Highwind.

You'll have to take note of the way the Witcher 3 handled its first expansion. It expanded the overworld and populated a new area, but then also added more quests and story beats in the old areas.

There's a huge difference between expansions and episodic format.

Is Neptunia 3 more than 1 or more than 2 regarding endings/optional content NG+?

In 2 you had some dungeons you could only enter in NG+ (I hate such).

Salsa

What an in-depth and analytical post. Would you care to elaborate how it ruined them and what sucks about them?

I mean it's a comment and my opinion, no need to be all high & mighty bruv

in a nutshell? over reliance on cutscenes and linearity

thankfully there's Dragon Quest

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ittle Dew 2 confirmed.

Maybe "392030 = Murasaki" is Murasaki Baby?

I hope "388860 = Project Replay" is Rare Replay, but who am I kidding.

"373990 = Metrico+" This was on the Vita, wasn't it?

"369440 = Project Fluttershy" is probably Them Fightin' Herds or whatever that mlp thing turned into. Also apparently Ren'Py is coming to Steam.

389130 = D4: New DLC
389131 = D4: New DLC1
I thought this was supposed to be episodic, sort of strange.

UltraFunGame is used for in tutorials.

So it's nothing
unless it's Half-Life 3 codename.
That's it? That's disappointing.

385320 = Don't drop the soap - Deluxe Edition
This is probably bad in many ways.

385030 = C. Kane
The Last of Us confirmed!!!!1111oneoneone!!!!

382970 = Risk - The Game of Global Domination
Is this the only board game on Steam besides 100% Orange Juice?

372880 = Ramayana
Is someone making a game about the Hindu epic? Hope it's not shovelware (it most likely is).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Hopefully it hurries up, I've been itching to play it again and after recently finishing FF5 on Steam it's got me thirsty for more. Maybe I'll finish up XIII-2 and see how Lightning Returns is.

On another note, I don't think Undertale is my kind of game. Probably won't play any more of it.

I am aware. The difference is that FF7 was a story that stood on its own, irrespective of how linear the early going was. Witcher 3 is a complete game that has an expansion dumped on top of it via a new area. I haven't played it, but I assume that the quests/story beats it adds to the main game are comparatively miniscule in comparison, much like how little the Mass Effect 2/3 DLCs impacted the main story.

That's why I'm questioning an episodic release in the first place. How is the story going to handle beats that occur in the overworld, like the team racing to stop WEAPON before it attacks Midgar, then visiting the North Crater and going back to Midgar near the end of Disc 2? How is it going to carry over items/story choices for sidequests across multiple parts, if at all? Why mess with the natural progression of the story via cliffhangers when we already know the story beats? How is this going to impact areas that could be originally accessed in multiple discs? It's sacrificing gameplay for story.

It's absurd to me that they just dumped this reveal out via a press release, and then say that they're doing this episodically because it's apparently too big to fit on one disc without elaborating further. Fucking Wolfenstein TNO is 45 gigs and came out on one disc. I don't think people are going to be too bothered if the game is 2 or 3 Blu-Ray size discs like the original.

Like I said, the only way I could see myself supporting this is if each "episode" is packed to the gills with new content and makes each area function more like a mini hub-world, but somehow, I don't see that happening.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What I don't get is how nobody wondered how they would justifiably produce the entirety or even a large part FF7 with today's graphics?
I guess we assumed since the first one sold 10 million copies on a single platform in a smaller video game market, and the remake has been the single most wanted Square game in the last decade, that it would sell enough copies across 3 or 4 (depending on NX) platforms to justify the cost?

How come the possibility of it being split up, didn't enter the minds of so many people?

Because it's an absolutely crazy suggestion that no one would ever have thought of?

fertygo

I'm surprised with the massive negative reaction I always thought they gonna split it seeing how fast it seem they came along with it.

Game would've MASSIVE so I'm okay with it tbh, and crazyrabbits concern is nuts come on son, its 2017, asset transfer in installation is easiest than ever, and you regular in Steam thread

How come you not realize those game with sudden a lot of new content when's patch coming?

Its not an new revelation. Weird.

tuxfool

Banned
It's absurd to me that they just dumped this reveal out via a press release, and then say that they're doing this episodically because it's apparently too big to fit on one disc without elaborating further. Fucking Wolfenstein TNO is 45 gigs and came out on one disc. I don't think people are going to be too bothered if the game is 2 or 3 Blu-Ray size discs like the original.

Like I said, the only way I could see myself supporting this is if each "episode" is packed to the gills with new content and makes each area function more like a mini hub-world, but somehow, I don't see that happening.

Sure. It is a bit stupid to say this without specifying what it means. Their press release doesn't say episodic, it says "multi part". People just went of into the deep end by assuming that, regardless of the fact that episodic confers nothing about quantity of content or length.

Multi part is less than ideal when considering the original game. But somebody factored the cost of the original in today's dollars and it came up to 67m. Now consider the game being made with today's production values and you probably get the most expensive game ever made by a large margin.

I guess we assumed since the first one sold 10 million copies on a single platform in a smaller video game market, and the remake has been the single most wanted Square game in the last decade, that it would sell enough copies across 3 or 4 (depending on NX) platforms to justify the cost?

Is the fanbase in today's market sufficient to take it past 10m copies? JRPGs in general don't sell as well as they used to.

Because it's an absolutely crazy suggestion that no one would ever have thought of?
Despite SE's repeated claims over the years that creating a remake with current (PS3 era) production values made no sense to them financially. Imagine how much it costs now. They could split it up, or they could charge more than 60$ which would never happen.

I'm surprised with the massive negative reaction I always thought they gonna split it seeing how fast it seem they came along with it.

I guess it's absurd to expect a full-on game of this scale in this day and age. I chalked up the gameplay demo to the dev team having rushed to build a prototype of the intro/first hour so they could have something to show.

Sure. It is a bit stupid to say this without specifying what it means. Their press release doesn't say episodic, it says "multi part". People just went of into the deep end by assuming that, regardless of the fact that episodic confers nothing about quantity of content or length.

Multi part is less than ideal when considering the original game. But somebody factored the cost of the original in today's dollars and it came up to 67m. Now consider the game being made with today's production values and you probably get the most expensive game ever made by a large margin.

It's fairly difficult to misconstrue the phrase "Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series." Like I said, in an age where game dev budgets can and do exceed $100m or more, and given the insane level of hype this project has built up over the last decade, I find it hard to believe that a full-fledged game was immediately out of the question.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got bitten by the Xmas spirit
54aecf6e19.gif

All right. Here are the results for the free copy of DARIUSBURST.

header.jpg

I'm only showing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

1st: Blu(e) - 12
2nd: Seraphis Cain - 11
3rd: Durante, Trailmix, InfiniteNine - 10

I'm going to keep my lists confidential, since I'll probably be doing something similar to this again for the next big release out there. This also lets people know how close they were with their lists this go around. With that said, my mind also changes with time and new releases.

Thanks to those who played.

So close! this was fun

tuxfool

Banned
It's fairly difficult to misconstrue the phrase "Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series." Like I said, in an age where game dev budgets can and do exceed $100m or more, and given the insane level of hype this project has built up over the last decade, I find it hard to believe that a full-fledged game was immediately out of the question.

Hype doesn't necessarily sell enough copies. Old fans would or would not buy it on account of whatever changes they have made and in terms of new fans, one has to see that the JRPG market is quite a bit smaller than it used to be as a percentage of the overall video game buying public.

Rockstar knows they have it in the bag when they commit to their insane budgets. We don't know if SE has done surveys to see that they're in a more complicated position.

I guess it's absurd to expect a full-on game of this scale in this day and age. I chalked up the gameplay demo to the dev team having rushed to build a prototype of the intro/first hour so they could have something to show.

Yes, FFVII is just so massive if we think about it. It can't be compared to GTA V and Witcher 3, it's way bigger. The game covers a whole globe, not a city nor a continent. It would take years of developing to create a true FFVII remake experience. That's why I kinda sceptical after I saw that trailer yesterday. It won't be a full-blown FFVII game, and I think I'll have to deal with it.

Just as Jaw said on the previous page, I'll be more than happy if they stick with the original game design with better UE4 graphics instead.

Shade

Old extras, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nosferatu -- MB-15571C5587525C5E - Taken by xGreg. 1 entrants total.
Abyss -- MB-65102C9BB1CE7D81 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
KONUNG 2 -- MB-276F4C088C985E14 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
Super Killer Hornet -- MB-EB43FBE0EEAD61A1 - Taken by Jazz573. 1 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-14D3A377E1F16361 - Taken by Erheller. 1 entrants total.
Secret of the Magic Crystals -- MB-6F54A1CC85911317 - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Rabbit Hole 3D -- MB-164A65CAD229D884 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
BlackSoul -- MB-B62677686038C854 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
Frederic Resurrection of Music -- MB-1C10EA449BB57A65 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
KONUNG 3 -- MB-73FD80D657FD436E
Nightmares from the Deep Cursed heart or Siren's call -- MB-3274B328893754A5 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Time Mysteries -- MB-4556B164B65711A1 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep Cursed heart or Siren's call-- MB-8AF290265C5F0CEF

t1449467418z1.png

tuxfool

Banned
Just as Jaw said on the previous page, I'll be more than happy if they stick with the original game design with better UE4 graphics instead.

The thing about that is with the original design they'll get some of the old fans aboard. They won't get anybody else. Then there is the estimation of the cost it would take to remake the game in the old style which is 67m.

You have to ask yourself if people would buy enough copies to replay a game with design that doesn't scream AAA. Everything about that game beyond the story is primitive in today's world.

If you want to replay that game you can already do so.

accel

I still need those too and FFXII and Dragon Quest VIII! Eventually we are gonna see them on Steam, just a matter of time my friend!

One day I will complete my collection of FFs and go through them from FFI to whatever is going to be the last by that time. I think with the way I play games it will take a year or so.

accel

Not sure if posted yet, but seems like it's been debunked as a 3rd party game dev "trolling". :/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/3vnrfh/holy_shit_sorry_if_this_ones_been_debunked_already/

Is the debunking in Valve usually using 3-digit game codes and the game in the leak using a 6-digit one? I am not sure lack of hyphen in the name is significant. I don't know, really, I mean, it's possible that this is just trolling, but then that trolling had to happen right before the leak and that seems a bit strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom