• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

I looked up the yearly owner change from the last years in Steamspy:

2011: Total copies owned: 151,900,000
2012: Total copies owned: 183,700,000
2013: Total copies owned: 269,900,000
2014: Total copies owned: 264,200,000

2015 to date: Total copies owned: 139,300,000

will there be 150 Million new copies owned in the next 3 weeks or is Steam DEAD?

The_Monk

Hello my good GAFfers!

I recently played Colin McRae Rally so I decided to give my small impressions (as always, excuse me for the poor English).

72s3LbH.jpg

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/287340

Usually, when I write some impressions I always speak about what the game is all about instead of what it could have been. However, in a rally game with Colin McRae in the title it’s a bit hard to not see the true potential that has gone to waste. The description of the origin of the game tell no lies, it’s a port of a mobile game so we are aware of what we can expect in terms of visuals and weather effects, sound, and so on. However, there is some information that not only I do not agree but I also find it to be a bit misleading.

The description of the game mentions different types of surfaces. While this may be true, aside of road and off-road I didn’t see any other variations. There is no mud, no heavy dust, no snow or wet tracks giving you a very limited window when it comes to variety. Speaking of variety, the number of cars you can drive is really small, only four are available. This is a very low number for a rally game and to make it worst you need to unlock them if you want to race with them in the championship. The four cars are the Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, the classic Lancia Stratos and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI. The sound is as important for me as the visuals and if you are a racing fan you will want to have those crazy sound engines screaming for the next shift but once again you can’t expect such thing in this game, which is fine for a mobile port but insufficient for a PC game.

In the end I played the game and got most of it, however there is not much to see and do which makes you search for better alternatives. The final line from the Store description ends with a bang but I’m afraid to be a really misleading sentence. It says “The Classic Rally Experience Races on PC and Mac” and I couldn’t agree less. This is not true at all no matter how big or small you are into racing games.

Kagemusha

will there be 150 Million new copies owned in the next 3 weeks or is Steam DEAD?

I think thats 150 Million copies of Bad Rats that were just flushed down the toilet.

Jazz573

i wasn't ignoring him. I was linking it for people who might want to see the thread, and I thought it was relevant to his post. I know you guys are just teasing tho. :p

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Burgers -- MB-735008689D9749EA - Taken by The_Monk
Energy Balance -- MB-888A72C34563578C - Taken by OmarYusaf
Haywire on Fuel Station Zeta -- MB-C9AB50B3EBB7D21A - Taken by Eila
Redemption: Eternal Quest -- MB-FD89354C941C1045 - Taken by Baron_Calamity

Steam is dying thanks to region locks and every publisher under the sun charging 60 dollars for their game sans season pass.

Is this how many games were approximately sold each year?

Steam is dying thanks to region locks and every publisher under the sun charging 60 dollars for their game sans season pass.
Excellent games still exist that are available for $30 and better than $60 games! :p

Anyways, it could just be that a lot of owners already have games that have been on sale. There would be a diminishing return eventually.

madjoki

Those are totals for games released that year until this day. Older games naturally have more owners.

Oh! Also, this year there was increased competition from GOG, whereas steam did not have as much competition in previous years, so I imagine that might have impacted the owner change data as well.

MUnited83

For you.

This is incorrect. Those are not the total copies sold in those years, rather how much games from those years were sold, so older years will tend to have more copies sold than more recent years for obvious reasons.

Oh! Also, this year there was increased competition from GOG, whereas steam did not have as much competition in previous years, so I imagine that might have impacted the owner change data as well.

LOL. GOG doesn't really make much of a dent on Steam sales. And as I just said, people are interpreting the change data wrong.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steam sale numbers are higher than ever, but an actual problem is that so many games are being released many of them have almost no sales even if they're very good. Almost 3,000 Steam games have released this year, and some deserving of far more attention have gone far under the radar.

There are several games that are quite good that have barely sold over 1,000 copies, some less than that.

I say problem, but there are too many sides to this and no easy solution, and is it Valve's responsibility to help sell these games is another legitimate question.

fallout

LOL. GOG doesn't really make much of a dent on Steam sales. And as I just said, people are interpreting the change data wrong.
If we assume that these Psychonauts numbers are at all representative, then GOG sales are probably 5-10% of direct Steam sales? You can't really make that comparison using SteamSpy, though. Those numbers will include bundle sales. Also, Steam's catalog is obviously way bigger than GOG's.

(not arguing, just throwing some bullshit analysis in for fun)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
New Adversary Mode For GTA Online Makes Every Bullet Count

Grand Theft Auto Online has a new adversary mode entitled Every Bullet Counts on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Find out what happens when four players square off, each with two bullets to take out the other three opponents.

Apart from giving you only two bullets (in a pistol) and a hatchet or machete to get the job done, the four maps of Every Bullet Counts are tight interiors. Thus, moving in and out of cover is key, and campers' locations will be revealed on the radar if they stand still for more than five seconds.

If you're interested to see it in action before you step in, Rockstar is holding a livestream Friday at 5 p.m. Eastern of the new Adversary variant (as well as others) on its Twitch page.

Our Take
The close-quarters nature of this mode is intriguing, and cold-blooded accuracy is going to succeed over simply laying on the trigger at first sight.

Dr Dogg

All aboard the good ship Uplay!

Nope free cam is not possible with Cheat Engine. But Matti Hietanen (BF4 Cinematic Tools) made script that you need to inject after you start game.

Ohh nice, cheers. Obviously that's a teeny bit more complicated than a 'script' as looks to be hooking into the process whilst it's in memory but thankfully Uplay doesn't have their own version of VAC.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fallout 4 looks right at home with an isometric camera

Old school Black Isle Studios

Although Bethesda has done a fine enough job with the new Fallout games, they pale in comparison to the older games, done by Black Isle Studios under Interplay (except for Obsidian's amazing Fallout: New Vegas, of course). The writing was stronger, the actual role-playing element was broader, and if you haven't played them before, I suggest you do so.

Either way, this camera mod for Fallout 4 looks pretty rad, bringing back the old isometric view. I really wish this was a legitimate option just like Dragon Age.

KOU6zOI.jpg
7rXyT9L.jpg
yvZe9pS.jpg
ERmgo4o.jpg

Knurek

There are several games that are quite good that have barely sold over 1,000 copies, some less than that.

I say problem, but there are too many sides to this and no easy solution, and is it Valve's responsibility to help sell these games is another legitimate question.

Adventure of Pip, we salute you.
And it absolutely shouldn't be Valve's responsibility to promote 3rd party titles.

Dusk Golem

Adventure of Pip, we salute you.
And it absolutely shouldn't be Valve's responsibility to promote 3rd party titles.

I was thinking that as I worded it, it's not really Valve's problem if games on their service perform well or not. But also it is true there's some really fantastic games that have been swept away. I do think indie devs need to figure out a way to get their titles more out there than they are now, but as an indie dev I certainly know it's no easy task (though for my own game, despite being freeware I am happy with its numbers). But pushing a title of yours can be a lot harder than it even sounds, and its getting harder that without a break-out hit, its much harder to make a name for yourself.

I've been thinking about it in part of me pushing to get a semi-sequel to a game I released on Steam onto Steam, and despite my first game on Steam having been launched by over 50,000 people and the reviews being very positive (I'm even super close to obtaining 'Overwhelmingly Positive' review status on the game), many of them even saying it's one of the deepest and best free single player games on Steam, I find it hard to get support on Greenlight to get the semi-sequel through, and am barely at 700 votes now, and there's a fair share of negative votes on regular Greenlight voters. It's hard to establish things.

I also have been playing a lot of small games on Steam recently, some are so overlooked it's dumb.

Parsnip

Can I ask a question? How many of you that have experienced a PC title that had less than stellar performance and options have contacted that publishers/developers support department and made them aware of said issues? If so how often do you and what tolerances do you ignore or report them?

After the release of Type-0, I sent Square some feedback about stuff and things and got an email reply that seemed to be written by a real person, that said that while they couldn't promise anything, they'd certainly look into it for Type-0 and keep it in mind for future games.

That's the only time I think.

Visually incredibly impressive. Mobile atm so will read later but it depends how/if there will be changes to gameplay. If done right, this would be a whole 'nother experience.
Looks like madjoki is right Looking at 2013, Dota 2 contributes 58 Million to the total numbers of that year and currently sits at 58 Million. So that stat is never final.

Crisis averted. steam lives another day.
I was asking because I am surprised how high the numbers are tbh.

Dusk Golem

Here's a game I'm currently playing on Steam that is way too overlooked for its own good:

Why Am I Dead At Sea

I'm about 3 hours in right now, and it's been getting very gripping. This game obviously has some Earthbound inspiration, but to explain it briefly, you're a ghost on a ship who is brought to consciousness by a spiritually gifted passenger on the ship to help prevent some sort of terrible occurrence that he senses is approaching the residents of the ship. You can possess people, but only if you know them well and reach a level of understanding how they work. Come to completely understand a person, and you can take full control of them. Each person you possess has a different personality obviously and recognition/relationship with others to allow different dialogue stuff to talk about, but each also has a special ability, ranging from being able to see what's in peoples pockets to being able to tell the tone of the voice someone's voice is in for a line of dialogue (okay, aggravated, hiding something, etc.). Even your spirit self has a special ability to peek into the mindscapes and thoughts of others (which is actually done in a pretty cool way). Featuring multiple endings and branching story possibilities, the game has enjoyable characters, an interesting and twisting story, and actually delivers many unexpected feelings of a range of emotions throughout, and has a really good soundtrack.

And yet it's barely gotten over 1,000 in sales and most don't even know it exists. Deserves WAY more attention.

Here's some screens:

Here's a game I'm currently playing on Steam that is way too overlooked for its own good:

Why Am I Dead At Sea?

I'm about 3 hours in right now, and it's been getting very gripping. This game obviously has some Earthbound inspiration, but to explain it briefly, you're a ghost on a ship who is brought to consciousness by a spiritually gifted passenger on the ship to help prevent some sort of terrible occurrence that he senses is approaching the residents of the ship. You can possess people, but only if you know them well and reach a level of understanding how they work. Come to completely understand a person, and you can take full control of them. Each person you possess has a different special ability, ranging from being able to see what's in peoples pockets to being able to tell the tone of the voice someone's voice is in for a line of dialogue (okay, aggravated, hiding something, etc.). Even your spirit self has a special ability to peek into the mindscapes and thoughts of others (which is actually done in a pretty cool). Featuring multiple endings and branching story possibilities, the game has enjoyable characters, an interesting and twisting story, and actually delivers many unexpected feelings of a range of emotions throughout, and has a really good soundtrack.

And yet it's barely gotten over 1,000 in sales and most don't even know it exists. Deserves WAY more attention.

Here's some screens:
It's a game I wanted when it was first announced but never got around to getting it.

Somehow since Valve introduced the chinese currency to Steam, I see far more chinese using it (or at least commenting, using discussionforums etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom