• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

at least we can agree on that. p4 is just a shitty anime

You're shitty Anime, your favorite shows are shitty anime and everything you ever touch in your life is shitty anime! :{

Seems the FFX/X-2 leak was true (never knew why people doubted that).

From the official S-E site, removed now though:

2vjqvrq6ssjx.jpg

Yeeeheeeeheeeessssss

Why were people so sure that X/X-2 were off limits for PC in the first place? It always seemed inevitable looking at the other Steam releases.

I've heard everything from a "pact" (lmao) between Square and Sony, that the games audio and cut scenes were compressed with Sony tech, and Sony having a long term exclusivity deal, but I've never seen any actual evidence for these reasons. It all seemed like total speculation.

If there truly was any moving and shaking done to prevent multi platform Final Fantasy releases surely it would apply to Xbox over PC. Reading the leak thread was really weird...because you still saw this attitude show up in spite of glaring evidence to the contrary.

Based on the current, belated port heavy landscape of steam, I wouldn't be surprised to see absolutely ANY third party JP release turn up.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star releases on PC, PS4 & PS Vita this month

Bird-dating sim returns next week.

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star, the Christmas-themed sequel to bizarre bird-dating game Hatoful Boyfriend, is heading to PS4, PS Vita and PC in time for the holidays, Devolver has announced.

Available on Steam from next Tuesday, December 15, and PS4 and PS Vita one week later on December 22, the romance simulator tasks players with swooning "new chickadees" as they visit "elegantly designed winter wonderlands".

It'll cost £6.99 on all platforms.

"There was this one Christmas Eve I got really drunk at the Cheesecake Factory down at the mall and made love to a waitress in Santa's Workshop that's across from Banana Republic," said Devolver Digital CFO Fork Parker, quite unexpectedly. "Anyway, buy Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star."

If you have no idea what to expect (and honestly, unless you've played the original why would you?), take a look at the teaser trailer.

Why were people so sure that X/X-2 were off limits for PC in the first place? It always seemed inevitable looking at the other Steam releases.

I've heard everything from a "pact" (lmao) between Square and Sony, that the games audio and cut scenes were compressed with Sony tech, and Sony having a long term exclusivity deal, but I've never seen any actual evidence for these reasons. It all seemed like total speculation.

If there truly was any moving and shaking done to prevent multi platform Final Fantasy releases surely it would apply to Xbox over PC. Reading the leak thread was really weird...because you still saw this attitude show up in spite of glaring evidence to the contrary.

Based on the current, belated port heavy landscape of steam, I wouldn't be surprised to see absolutely ANY third party JP release turn up.
It has rumored that Sony tech and Sony help was used to help develop the FFXHD ports. However, even if that was true, it seems that Sony is starting to show some wiggle room regarding porting games to the PC. We just saw Helldivers come out and it appears Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is due to come, too.

So it's not that this release necessary debunks the reasoning behind those games appearing to be permanently locked down to PSX platforms, it's more likely that Sony is just less adverse to letting things appear on PC than they once were.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Hope the time is okay for people. Friday, 11th December 6PM GMT

Europe Xrd release gamenight
header.jpg

1 - Messiah
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -

t1449856800z0.png

Put me down as a maybe. I don't get home until 7:30ish, so if people are still playing I'd be up for it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Wonder if they'll start porting Kingdom hearts when they've finished up their final fantasy porting backlogg.

Kingdom Hearts hasn't ever seen a digital release not counting crappy mobile games. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, not at least until the consoles see digital releases first.

Corpekata

Banned
KH won't hit Steam until maybe KH3. There's some sort of license snafu with the music, it's why they aren't on PSN. Contract is only for retail releases. Presumably they have been ironed out for 3's release since it's hard to imagine a high profile title not releasing on PSN or Live.

Ludens

Banned
KH won't hit Steam until maybe KH3. There's some sort of license snafu with the music, it's why they aren't on PSN. Contract is only for retail releases. Presumably they have been ironed out for 3's release since it's hard to imagine a high profile title not releasing on PSN or Live.

I don't know, I still think there's Sony involved with KH, like it happeed for X. Otherwise why SE wouldn't release a 360 version of it.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know, I still think there's Sony involved with KH, like it happeed for X. Otherwise why SE wouldn't release a 360 version of it.

Huh? 3's heading to Xbox.

Whether Sony had stuff to do with the others is irrelevant. They don't even have the game on their own digital store, so other digital stores like Steam are out of the question.

Dr Dogg

Not entirely sure what the issue with Kingdom Hearts and never having a digital release but as per usually the powers that be at Squenix don't say anything so yet again folks rampantly speculate on why and end up convincing themselves of the reasons why. I mean that old one of 'Disney treats their IP's with an iron grip and doesn't do digital distribution' looks pretty silly once you see how bonkers they went when coming to Steam. Admitting you don't know isn't a bad thing.

Ludens

Banned
Huh? 3's heading to Xbox.

Whether Sony had stuff to do with the others is irrelevant. They don't even have the game on their own digital store, so other digital stores like Steam are out of the question.

I know, I'm talking about the HD Collections released. KH3 will have, of course, different soundtrack (yeah, that one is a problem because I don't remember what happened with the singer) and it's a totally different game, so no problem here.

Tizoc

Not entirely sure what the issue with Kingdom Hearts and never having a digital release but as per usually the powers that be at Squenix don't say anything so yet again folks rampantly speculate on why and end up convincing themselves of the reasons why. I mean that old one of 'Disney treats their IP's with an iron grip and doesn't do digital distribution' looks pretty silly once you see how bonkers they went when coming to Steam. Admitting you don't know isn't a bad thing.

Weren't the games they put on Steam recently, they were originally released on PC to begin with?

Ludens

Banned
Weren't the games they put on Steam recently, they were originally released on PC to begin with?

I think the issue with DD is not Disney, but some licensing issue by SE and parts involved.
Disney is very open regarding the distribution of their titles, just look at how many games got a digital premiere on GOG, in example. Totally not the problem here.

I think the issue with DD is not Disney, but some licensing issue by SE and parts involved.
Disney is very open regarding the distribution of their titles, just look at how many games got a digital premiere on GOG, in example. Totally not the problem here.

yeah, and they've even been really good with the lucasarts stuff, which i feared was going to get lost in the shuffle when they bought lucasfilms. They've put the lego star wars games on sale, they've put the Monkey Island special editions on sale, and they've worked with Double Fine and Sony to help remaster some of those classic adventure games that LA put out such as Grim Fandango, DOTD, and now Full Throttle.

I don't think it's disney at all, the rumor is that SE is having some sort of licensing issue regarding the music in those games that isn't allowing them to sell digital copies of the KHs games. Hopefully, whatever it is that is not permitting these games going digital gets fixed before KH3 comes out.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
yeah, and they've even been really good with the lucasarts stuff, which i feared was going to get lost in the shuffle when they bought lucasfilms. They've put the lego star wars games on sale, they've put the Monkey Island special editions on sale, and they've worked with Double Fine and Sony to help remaster some of those classic adventure games that LA put out such as Grim Fandango, DOTD, and now Full Throttle.

I don't think it's disney at all, the rumor is that SE is having some sort of licensing issue regarding the music in those games that isn't allowing them to sell digital copies of the KHs games. Hopefully, whatever it is that is not permitting these games going digital gets fixed before KH3 comes out.

Yeah they aree hugely losing out with not hvaing their games open for digital distribution.

As you said I hope they really fix the problem before KH3's launch, hopefully much earlier.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah they aree hugely losing out with not hvaing their games open for digital distribution.

As you said I hope they really fix the problem before KH3's launch, hopefully much earlier.

Worst case scenario, theu'll drop Hikari etc, putting on a new OST. This sucks, but I think it would solve the problem.

Dr Dogg

Yeah pretty much all released on PC before and over here you could still buy them at retail quite easily (there's a couple of 3 packs with various games licenced off to publisher like Mastertronic or Xplosive who do relicensed releases) and even if you look at PSN or XBLA you'll see plenty of their titles on both services. But still didn't stop some wild theory's about Disney and digital distribution and when they came to Steam they came with 40 odd titles at once. Not the sort of behaviour of a company sceptical of a digital marketplace now is it :p

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The morale of the story is, don't post news here because Lashman will already have done it 100% of the time.

Jazz573

I was just linking it for people who might want to post in the GAF thread. :p

Wasn't trying to say someone posted it before him, though I see how that could be implied.

FLD

Lack of info led to some dumb speculation. It was admittedly kinda weird that the HD Remaster didn't get an XO release, though.

Wonder if they'll start porting Kingdom hearts when they've finished up their final fantasy porting backlogg.

Dragon Quest first!

Tizoc

Yeah pretty much all released on PC before and over here you could still buy them at retail quite easily (there's a couple of 3 packs with various games licenced off to publisher like Mastertronic or Xplosive who do relicensed releases) and even if you look at PSN or XBLA you'll see plenty of their titles on both services. But still didn't stop some wild theory's about Disney and digital distribution and when they came to Steam they came with 40 odd titles at once. Not the sort of behaviour of a company sceptical of a digital marketplace now is it :p

Actually Birth by sleep didn't get a release on PSN due to licensed music IIRC, could that be a similar issue with a few of the songsin KH?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Starbound - [STABLE] Glad Giraffe is here!

Watch the trailer here!

The combat update is finally here! As in, it's out! Right now! Go play it! Or, if you're still waiting for Starbound to update, why not check out the trailer?A few notes:

• Your existing characters and worlds should be more or less intact, but as usual, you will need to start a fresh universe or explore far-off systems in order to experience some of the new content.
  • If you are running any Starbound mods, they may be incompatible with the latest version of Starbound. I'd recommend backing up your existing characters before launching the game!
  • In fact, backing up your existing characters in an Early Access game is never a bad idea.

ATTN Modders! We've put a comprehensive tutorial up on the wiki describing how to create new missions in Tiled!

Without further ado, here's the changelog!

changelog2.png

weapons_hobofont.png

hammersmash3.gif

• Generated and tiered two-handed weapons now have special abilities that can be activated using right click. Many (45+) possible abilities are available for various classes of ranged and melee weapons!
    • Yes, some guns now have flashlights
  • Change to hammer mechanics: hold left click to wind up, release to fire
  • Change to spear mechanics: continue holding left click after a swing to keep the spear out to fend off enemies
  • Several new classes of hard-to-find unique weapons: boomerangs, chakrams and fist weapons
    • Find blueprints to upgrade these weapons into even more powerful and specialized versions at higher tiers
    • Dual wield fist weapons to enable powerful combo finishers
  • A few miscellaneous unique weapons and items such as flamethrowers and remote-detonated grenade launchers

monsternpccombat.png

poptops.gif

• Lots of new unique monsters found throughout the galaxy, each with their own special abilities and behaviors
  • Knockback is more powerful and reliable
  • Monsters have clearer ‘telegraphing’ to indicate when they are about to attack
  • Remade shields and improved blocking mechanics
  • Replaced electric stun status effect with Electrified, which periodically damages other nearby enemies
  • Hostile monsters now damage the player on touch

vehicles.png

hoveringgif.gif

• New system for player-controlled vehicles which can be spawned and despawned using Vehicle Controllers (acquired at the Outpost)
  • Hoverbikes!
    • Great for travelling across planet surfaces quickly!
    • They include a passenger seat so you can transport your friends!
    • Come in several attractive colors!
    • Drive carefully to avoid blowing yourself up!
  • Boats!
    • Similar to the previous boat tech, useful for crossing large bodies of water
    • Your friends can ride on deck or pose dramatically in the bow
  • Visit Rob Repairo in the Outpost shipyard area to repair your vehicles using auto chips, which can be found in the world or purchased at the Outpost

quests.png

gettingquests.gif

• Quest givers’ portraits are shown on quest dialogs and in the log
  • Colonists now occasionally give players new procedural quests to help improve their house or social standing
  • The abandon button can be used on procedural quests and the same quests can now be declined

biomes2.png

midnight6.gif

• New ‘Midnight’ planets
  • New ‘Frozen’ planets (replaces Tundra)
  • Prism, Steam Spring, and Hive sub biomes
  • Over 300 new microdungeons and other improvements to all underground biomes, including background caves and parallaxes

other2.png

capturebunny.gif

• Craftable elevator objects, because stairs are so last millennium
  • Consumable dyes to change the color of armor and clothing
  • Capture pods are (for now) used to capture and relocate critters, with a more complete pet system returning in a future patch
  • Loads of item descriptions have been fixed/replaced/added, including lots of Novakid ones!
  • Too many new objects, items, costumes, colony tenants, etc. to list
  • Too many bug fixes, item tweaks, and balance changes to list
  • Improved support for Tiled map and tileset format for modders

knownissues_hobofont.png

• Some one-handed, unique and biome weapons which still use the old system will be replaced in a future patch

Dr Dogg

Actually Birth by sleep didn't get a release on PSN due to licensed music IIRC, could that be a similar issue with a few of the songsin KH?

Hence my lead in with 'Not entirely sure what the issue with Kingdom Hearts and never having a digital release' and not saying 'everything Disney related got released digitally on PSN'. And no, no one knows why they didn't or haven't and short of a couple of interviews Squenix haven't said anything that could be attributed as to why. I mean can anyone link to a statement from a SE representative stating clearly music rights are the reason there's no digital version of Kingdom Hearts for any platform? Probably right by the Sony Technology in FFX statement :p

But people still like to speculate and then some folks take that speculation as fact and so on and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom