• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a game I'm currently playing on Steam that is way too overlooked for its own good:

Why Am I Dead At Sea

I'm about 3 hours in right now, and it's been getting very gripping. This game obviously has some Earthbound inspiration, but to explain it briefly, you're a ghost on a ship who is brought to consciousness by a spiritually gifted passenger on the ship to help prevent some sort of terrible occurrence that he senses is approaching the residents of the ship. You can possess people, but only if you know them well and reach a level of understanding how they work. Come to completely understand a person, and you can take full control of them. Each person you possess has a different personality obviously and recognition/relationship with others to allow different dialogue stuff to talk about, but each also has a special ability, ranging from being able to see what's in peoples pockets to being able to tell the tone of the voice someone's voice is in for a line of dialogue (okay, aggravated, hiding something, etc.). Even your spirit self has a special ability to peek into the mindscapes and thoughts of others (which is actually done in a pretty cool way). Featuring multiple endings and branching story possibilities, the game has enjoyable characters, an interesting and twisting story, and actually delivers many unexpected feelings of a range of emotions throughout, and has a really good soundtrack.

And yet it's barely gotten over 1,000 in sales and most don't even know it exists. Deserves WAY more attention.

Here's some screens:

Looks sweet, and not made in RPGMAKER! i will buy during winter seal, didnt even know it existed thanks.

Tizoc

Yes. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Game would crash if you had a lot of people in your friend's list on PS4 :v
For whatever ririduclous reason it kept comparing your stats with the friendlist and borks out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's a game I wanted when it was first announced but never got around to getting it.

That's how I was originally but I bit the bullet when I had money since interested, but only started playing it last night, and regret not trying it sooner. It's a bit of a slow-burn game, but it's been getting progressively more gripping and interesting as the game goes on (I should of mentioned there's a day system of sorts but no proper time limit but a few things you can try to do in the day and consequences on some things you do, I'm in the middle of Day 2 right now).

Game is mostly narrative driven since a lot of it is talking, questioning people, but there are some actually cleverly implemented puzzles, side things to do, and oddities to partake in. And the game mostly works due to enjoyable quirky, flawed, and shady characters, a developing and interesting murder mystery, with an edge of some supernatural terror that is looming over everyone on the boat but only you and one other who is actually alive are aware of it.

Added that game to my wishlist, DG, hope to see it on sale in upcoming sales.

It's likely due to sales, I think. XD;

Wow. That does sound pretty great dusk.

I wish I had more time to play all the horror games you post about.

Yai, many horror games I could rave about, though I would say Why Am I Dead At Sea, despite you being a ghost, isn't really a horror game as much as some sort of narrative adventure game, though it does have some creepy and odd moments.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I will still buy it regarding on early impressions... I really like me some Tetris...

What about Puyo Puyo Tetris... I should buy that for my Vita some time...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My main point is there have been so many games released this year (again, literally almost 3,000 games released on Steam this year, and that's game number, not including DLC or nothing). So many have released, some really good ones have gone by almost unnoticed, which is unfortunate. I've been playing through a lot of smaller ones recently, so I'll try to raise attention to a few, but being a horror enthusiast that's mainly what I play and that's a required taste. Why Am I Dead At Sea isn't a horror game, however, just a game I had interest in and was thinking playing it last night and getting more and more into it the more I played how the game is very criminally underlooked right now, though there's been many titles like that this year unfortunately.

So i'm playing through the Gears remake on the Xbone and I finally played through the PC exclusive stuff that came out back in the day.

My god, what the fuck were Epic thinking with that Brumak boss battle? Your AI partner (dom) is a fucking joke and obviously not made to handle a boss fight so it's just the Brumak pelting you nonstop while you try to hide behind a cement barrier hoping he doesn't shoot you over it. It took me a half hour to beat it because of how poorly designed that conflict was.

I'm glad i got to experience that content for the first time but, boy, I'm glad im back to the vanilla gears campaign.

Tenrius

There's a Sam & Max bundle on sale at GOG and it doesn't include Hit the Road which doesn't even have a separate discount. Weird.

Annubis

dAV5RvU.gif

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
If any of you are interested we're about to start up another closed Steam beta, for Cubixx HD and we're looking for applicants.

If you’d like to help us out and get a chance to play the game early then please send an email to: beta@ghostlight.uk.com stating your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC, or if you'd prefer you can message me here :).

Cubixx HD, a fast paced action puzzle game, was Laughing Jackal’s first non-mini and is a particular favourite of mine, with compulsive score chasing in single player and the local multiplayer being incredibly good fun both in co-op and versus. While I might be a bit biased it wasn’t just me who thought so, with Official PlayStation Magazine UK calling it: “One of the most gloriously addictive, knuckle-bitingly frustrating experiences you can have on PSN.” Eurogamer also gave it an 8/10, calling it: “Murderously addictive.” The Sixthaxis also awarded Cubixx HD with an 8/10, saying it: “Hovers on the cusp of absolute, delightful joy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRrHznZtWs

If any of you are interested we're about to start up another closed Steam beta, for Cubixx HD and we're looking for applicants.

If you’d like to help us out and get a chance to play the game early then please send an email to: beta@ghostlight.uk.com stating your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC, or if you'd prefer you can message me here :).

Cubixx HD, a fast paced action puzzle game, was Laughing Jackal’s first non-mini and is a particular favourite of mine, with compulsive score chasing in single player and the local multiplayer being incredibly good fun both in co-op and versus. While I might be a bit biased it wasn’t just me who thought so, with Official PlayStation Magazine UK calling it: “One of the most gloriously addictive, knuckle-bitingly frustrating experiences you can have on PSN.” Eurogamer also gave it an 8/10, calling it: “Murderously addictive.” The Sixthaxis also awarded Cubixx HD with an 8/10, saying it: “Hovers on the cusp of absolute, delightful joy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRrHznZtWs

Oh. That looks nice. Dont have any time this time, but hope you will find some good beta-testers.

Monooboe

Even though I love AC Syndicate I can't help but to still hate the "optional missions", seem the whole point of them is to make every mission less fun.
I'm at the ball mission where I have to find the plans, where I either can pick a lock to the door or pickpocket a key, my first thought was "hell yeah, upgraded lockpicking fully" and then I saw the optional objective that says I have to use a key and I just wanted to close the game.T_T

madjoki

These were previous bundles:

2015 (Easter)

Life Is Strange - Episode 1
Just Cause Collection
Hitman Absolution Elite Edition
Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition

Thief – The Master Thief Edition
The Last Remnant
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
Deus Ex – The Fall
Nosgoth Founders – Warlord Pack

Tomb Raider
Just Cause 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Dungeon Siege 3

Owning most Eidos stuff, it's probably safe skip.

Dr Dogg

All right let's play this silly game. What's in the box?!?!?!

My guesses
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Thief
  • Life is Strange Ep 1 and discount voucher for the rest
  • Final Fantasy V

Turfster

Just Cause (2)?

2 was already in the 2013 one.
Games that have been in the christmas surprise already:
  • Thi4f
  • The Last Remnant
  • Murdered
  • Guardian of Light
  • Deus Ex The Fail
  • Nosgoth
  • Tomb Raider 2013
  • Just Cause 2
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Dungeon Siege III

I'm predicting Hitman Asspollution, DX:HR, Life is Strange Ep 1 & Temple of Osiris

Those AC Chronicles games are the closest thing I am gonna get to Mark of the Ninja any time soon isn't it?

Don't know about the previously released China but, it looked stealthy enough, maybe not as fluid as MotN though.

Jazz573

2 was already in the 2013 one.
Games that have been in the christmas surprise already:
  • Thi4f
  • The Last Remnant
  • Murdered
  • Guardian of Light
  • Deus Ex The Fail
  • Nosgoth
  • Tomb Raider 2013
  • Just Cause 2
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Dungeon Siege III

I'm predicting Hitman Asspollution, DX:HR, Life is Strange Ep 1 & Temple of Osiris

-__-

gross

Zeknurn

Just bought Puyo Puyo Tetris for my Vita/Playstation TV... screw Ubi :p

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I would pay $40 for Puyo Puyo Tetris on PC.

All right let's play this silly game. What's in the box?!?!?!

My guesses
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Thief
  • Life is Strange Ep 1 and discount voucher for the rest
  • Final Fantasy V

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition is guaranteed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have gone through all 80 pages of my subscriptions and cleaned it up, but I also fell for some old threads with some games coming out for PC, which I haven't heard about for a while. So what has happened to the following games? Due Process, Cult County, Black Desert, Hover, Severed, Vane, Hunger, YIIK, Pamela, Enki, Kholat, Allison Road, Project Session, Elex, The Solus Project, Inner Chains, Kona and Last Life?

Cult County's KS failed. They claim it's not cancelled cancelled, but I wouldn't count on it.

Allison Road started a KS which was going to fail, but pulled it when they got a publisher (Team17).

Purkake4

Banned
You're going to need a dump truck for that eventual Assassin's Creed Game of the Forever Lifetime Achievement Super Deluxe Desmond edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom