• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going for 1440P I'd recommend gsync'd high framerate monitors because there are a lot of recent games that at max will dip into the 50s even with a 980Ti and gsync makes that very playable. Then for older games you can enjoy 144 FPS goodness.

It's something I'd only recommend investing in if you've got the money to go all the way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can anyone give me an idea if 1440p is worth the jump from 1080p? I just bought a 1440p monitor a few minutes ago and I'm now in that "Do I REALLY need this?" phase. It's specifically this monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZFFN656/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I made the jump to 1440p a few months ago, even though I don't have a particularly suited graphics card. I hemmed and hawwed about it (even here on GAF) going back and forth as to whether or not it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I eventually came across a decent deal on this monitor and took the plunge.

Hands down, it's one of the greatest leaps forward in PC gaming I've seen in years. Not only is the screen ultra-crisp for things like browsing the web, email, etc but it's been great for gaming too. There are a few hiccups, such as games that force 1080p mode or stretch to fit 1440p, but overall I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of titles that run flawlessly in 1440p and look amazing. Of course I have mine next to one of my old 1080p monitors, and by comparison that monitor looks fuzzy now.

Sure, on newer games my rig can't do more than 8-12 fps @ 1440p. And some games I've had to manually set down to 1080p just because my card couldn't keep up - but that's my Radeon HD7850's fault, not the monitor's. I'm really happy with the jump to 1440p overall.

I suppose extra resolution is always great for general computer work, I just find that turning my monitor to 1080P mode generally makes games look real bad so keep that in mind.

Gsync is so good <3

I can be whatever you want me to be, sugar.
mgGDaEm.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I suppose extra resolution is always great for general computer work, I just find that turning my monitor to 1080P mode generally makes games look real bad so keep that in mind.

Gsync is so good <3

I do regret not getting a gsync (or freesync) monitor, I wish I would have had the extra money for the upgrade. But then I'd need to buy a graphics card that supports that technology and then when all's said and done I'd be in for way more money than I could have afforded.

Maybe next time.

Thanks for the impressions guys. I guess I'll give it a shot since I can't cancel order anymore. I was looking for a cheap/not that cheap monitor since I can't even come close to dropping the kind of dough a G-Sync/Free-Sync monitor would cost me.

autoduelist

3 hours of grinding in Bard's Tale 1: Tales of the Unknown and it froze. I couldn't get keys to work, and while I could alt tab around it could only go between BT and the main Win8 system page, no other apps. Second time this happened.

Don't have anywhere else to gripe about it, so i'll do it here, because it broke my head. Fire Horning 69 wights over and over is bad enough w/o it crashing. I guess I'm done playing the Steam version -- using a proper emu i could do other things like speed up processes and probably have better crash protection [save states].

GRRRRR. Sorry, I know nobody cares, it's just so brutal when games freeze up.

yuraya

Sigh...Star Wars twitter impressions doesn't seem high as I expected.

Not really surprised after some of the spoilers I read for it months ago. Still tho people seem to think its okay and better than the prequels. People shouldn't have hyped themselves too much. It never had a shot of being better than the original trilogy.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok so the spider queen in pillars of eternity?

absolutely zero, ezpz

i dunno what obs did to these things but i'm completely immune to them, it's amazing

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was it confirmed the Xmas sale will also not have dailies and whatnot and just have the same deals throughout?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Was it confirmed the Xmas sale will also not have dailies and whatnot and just have the same deals throughout?

Yes sir, no dailies.

Nobody knows if the cards are involved in anything like a meta game either. Although, I think there was some inkling you might earn more for using the discovery queue.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes sir, no dailies.

Nobody knows if the cards are involved in anything like a meta game either. Although, I think there was some inkling you might earn more for using the discovery queue.

I'm actually...OK with this I think. Makes it easier to know exactly how much I'll spend, which won't be a lot anyway so this makes budgeting it easier.

Uzzy

so is the gits shooter any good or what

cos motoko looks like a badass

I spent about two hours with it last night and so far it's a firm bleh. It's not shit, but it's certainly not good. Even with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Richard Epcar and Frederick Knight involved, it doesn't feel very much like Ghost in the Shell. It's disappointing.

Talk about revisionist's history. A lot of the best games ever released in some of those periods were 30fps or less! "Nearly all" being 60fps is a massive stretch.

- Final Fantasy VII - PS1 - 30fps / 15fps
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64 - 20fps
- Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube - 20-30fps
- Super Mario 64 - N64 - 30fps
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - PS2 - 20-30fps
- Metal Gear Solid - PS1 - 30fps
- Halo: Combat Evolved - Xbox - 20-30fps

And so on.

I think I understand now..

q0XkqNj.jpg

20fps is GOAT.

Been playing Rogue Squadron 3D with a Xbox One controller and it's so fun (got in it the latest GOG sale). But damn, it's crashing a lot on me :(

The more I read threads on gaming side the more I've come to the conclusion that video games are dead and a some video game players are the worst. This console generation has set gaming back nearly 2 decades.

Dsyndrome

ok so the spider queen in pillars of eternity?

absolutely zero, ezpz

i dunno what obs did to these things but i'm completely immune to them, it's amazing

I take it you're not going to use the tiny spider pet, though. I've been changing the pet up every time I get a new one, I'm on baby wyrm now.

The more I read threads on gaming side the more I've come to the conclusion that video games are dead and a some video game players are the worst. This console generation has set gaming back nearly 2 decades.
People are shite in general unfortunately. But yes, consoles obviously hold things back.

I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege for like 6 hours now, rare anything multiplayer gets its hooks in me.

zkylon

zkylewd
alright got my own keep in eternity, spiders you get the fuck out of my house, this castle is mine

so cool, this game is so damn cool

The Unity engine can't do anything right.

Worst engine. (NinjaEdit: Aside from idTech5.)
as someone that works with it every day, i really really hate it :p

I take it you're not going to use the tiny spider pet, though. I've been changing the pet up every time I get a new one, I'm on baby wyrm now.
i tried it and was amused to find out how tiny it was, but me and mr. cat are best buds

I spent about two hours with it last night and so far it's a firm bleh. It's not shit, but it's certainly not good. Even with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Richard Epcar and Frederick Knight involved, it doesn't feel very much like Ghost in the Shell. It's disappointing.

lol why would i care about american voice actors

YUCK

40$ indie multiplayer only game that depends on very high player counts to be fully enjoyed? That'll go well :(

Yeah the price isn't doing it any favors, I hope it does well but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Hopefully the developers are smart enough to lower the price if the player count isn't there.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah the price isn't doing it any favors, I hope it does well but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Hopefully the developers are smart enough to lower the price if the player count isn't there.

Yeah, i'd like to see it being sucessful. But after Insurgency basically needing to be given away for free after a few months to combat a dwindling userbase despite the game having pretty good sales, I don't expect this to have much success at the 40$ pricepoint.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish the keep had more purpose in Eternity.

There really was not much of a merit to build it other than an achievement.

what's you mean?

it gets invaded and you can recruit ppl to defend it and you can rebuild it with shops and stuff and there's a huge dungeon below it and crap

that sounds pretty neat to me

Because all people of taste know that the SAC English dub is fantastic.

The main point is that the game doesn't feel much like GITS, even with some of the voice cast involved.
yea, i get ya

tbh i didn't like gits sac all that much either so i'm not too depressed

a gits deus ex like game is so obvious, too bad japan's never been into those games

Not the only thing she looks like

163.gif
what?

is it tits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom