• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

So Nier is good? Amazon.de will have the PS3 version as a deal today 16:00 German time which is interesting because they themselves aren't offering it anymore since a good while ago and used prices are relatively high. Would also fit into my year-of-PS3-shitting-on-PS4, divert attention away from the assuredly pitiful holiday sale and make it easier to wait for the PC port of Automata.

Jawmuncher

So Nier is good? Amazon.de will have the PS3 version as a deal today 16:00 German time which is interesting because they themselves aren't offering it anymore since a good while ago and used prices are relatively high. Would also fit into my year-of-PS3-shitting-on-PS4, divert attention away from the assuredly pitiful holiday sale and make it easier to wait for the PC port of Automata.

Just get it. Worse comes to worst, you can probably sell it for more than you bought it for.

Grief.exe

Sequel is coming to PC, guaranteed.

Grief.exe

...at 1920x1080. Well to be fair the 30 mins I played of Transformers Devastation was at 3840x2160 but seeing 2560x1440 and 5120x2880 were nowhere to be seen means one thing, hard flipping coded resolutions again!

They're aware of the situation, at least they are slowly improving.

I'm guessing they just drag ui elements around, then hardcode those X/Y coordinates? At least do a couple more resolutions, 1440p, 4K, 6K, 8K. At least then we are 'futureproofed' for some time to a certain degree.

Sequel is coming to PC, guaranteed.

Not a huge fan of the first game, but I welcome Automata.

...at 1920x1080. Well to be fair the 30 mins I played of Transformers Devastation was at 3840x2160 but seeing 2560x1440 and 5120x2880 were nowhere to be seen means one thing, hard flipping coded resolutions again!

Isn't the game being developed in UE4?
I think it'll be easier to tinker newer UE4 games for PC ports, like DQ XI, FFVIIR, and
Kingdom Hearts III.

I don't think so.
Oof. Feel sorry for the devs hard work being jumbled by management and exclusivity stuff.
The Situation with Tomb Raider:

YYmuB6n.gif
Wow. You couldn't have done it better if it was orchestrated.
ROTTR got more fleshed out RPG aspects tho.
Haha. Oh you!
Nier. One of those heavily beloved games I hear so much about. Will watch gameplay videos/reviews, as so far most of those recommended underrated/overlooked gems turned out enjoyable for me. Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, Warhammer:Space Marine.

Corpekata

Banned
I wouldn't describe Nier as good as much as interesting. It has some good story and character work, but the moment to moment gameplay is pretty dull.

Dr Dogg

They're aware of the situation, at least they are slowly improving.

No they're doing the same silly thing by just adding more values to their setting menu by hand rather than get the values from the users system. Hopefully they've moved their UI to a relative positioning system but their games are so lightweight if they enumerated resolutions correctly you could probably render them at 11520x6480 on a 980 non Ti.

Grief.exe

No they're doing the same silly thing by just adding more values to their setting menu by hand rather than get the values from the users system. Hopefully they've moved their UI to a relative positioning system but their games are so lightweight if they enumerated resolutions correctly you could probably render them at 11520x6480 on a 980 non Ti.

I did say slowly.

Arthea

nope, not good at all, I know gaf loves it, but it really is not a good game however you look at this, gameplay simply sucks, now when Platinum are making it, it might end up not only on PC but playable too.

Nier can be clunky at times but at least it has some interesting game ideas in terms of the bosses and how many times it puts a new spin on the gameplay mechanics. I'd put it several levels over something like Deadly Premonition which plays like complete and total garbage.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any Christmas video games out there, or is Batman: Arkham Oranges the closest I'm going to get?

There's Alone in the Dark 2, which is set on Christmas day and features Edward Carnby in a Santa outfit.

Truly the spookiest horror game of all time.

Ozium

nope, not good at all, I know gaf loves it, but it really is not a good game however you look at this, gameplay simply sucks, now when Platinum are making it, it might end up not only on PC but playable too.

Nier is too mainstream for Arthea.

Dr Dogg

I did say slowly.

You know my experience in the creative and production side of game making is none to fuck all but I know even from my time at college many moons ago about the presentation and formatting of your content correctly on screen that a lot of these folks miss how to do. I mean here's what's really frustrating, Lightning Returns ships with fixed rendering resolutions and the option for nearest neighbour scaling where as I bet Final Fantasy VI will ship on Friday with arbitrary resolution support and uses your system or GPU drivers scaling method (ie binlinear scaling) just like FFV did. Completely arse backwards as the 3D rendered title wants any rendering res any bilinear scaling while the pixel art game wants fixed multiples of resolution and scaled using nearest to preserve hard edges. Squenix operates in bizarroland when it comes to Final Fantasy and PC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are there any Christmas video games out there, or is Batman: Arkham Oranges the closest I'm going to get?

Well there's this...

or

also

Arthea

Nier can be clunky at times but at least it has some interesting game ideas in terms of the bosses and how many times it puts a new spin on the gameplay mechanics. I'd put it several levels over something like Deadly Premonition which plays like complete and total garbage.

what I find strange, nobody hides that DP has horrible gameplay, but when talk is about Nier most people forget how bad gameplay is, and it is bad.
I might be slightly allergic to bad gameplay, true, or mainstream as Ozzie kindly points out, but still even that aside, we are talking about games which we play for pleasure and fun, not suffer through for a story or soundtrack or good intentions, no?

I think Nier has perfectly serviceable action game combat, really simplistic but smooth whereas Deadly Premonition is incredibly clunky and has broken aiming in the console versions. It feels bad to play.

Arthea

I think Nier has perfectly serviceable action game combat, really simplistic but smooth whereas Deadly Premonition is incredibly clunky and has broken aiming in the console versions. It feels bad to play.

well, DP is horrible (on PC too), Nier is just bad, as I said. Perfectly serviceable is something like Kingdoms of Amalur that steamgaf seem to hate (I blame Turf for this), simple, but has some interesting mechanics if you want to delve into that, but still plays nicely no matter what way you play.
anyway, let's agree to disagree then, or Hektor will see this discussion and will get a heart attack or something and we don't want that.

Shocked-Mario.jpg
nice! so fitting

Arthea

I enjoyed Nier's combat mechanics. Had some decent weight to melee and magic was a blast to use. Come at me!

*sigh
well, you enjoy AssCreed too, kinda expected as much

you have seen it coming, I suppose

Who here has played Drakengard 3, that game runs at I shit you not 10-15 FPS for most of the combat encounters. I don't know how I finished it.

Mention it because Nier is a Drakengard spin off

the reason why I haven't, I really can't play a game that runs as badly as Drakengard 3, not that I didn't want to, but I know I just can't, so what's the point.
Maybe it'll come to PC some day.

Who here has played Drakengard 3, that game runs at I shit you not 10-15 FPS for most of the combat encounters. I don't know how I finished it.

Goat Simulator has competition... still. Somehow.

Also doubles as a developer's first Unity game.
It was a sin of omission.

There could have been an officially-branded off-brand Mario game on PC years ago, thanks to the makers of idTech5.

Oh yeah? Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) intentionally halves the framerate during action animations (spells, attacks, reactions, etc). It's a "remastered" version of the original PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics, which never had this... feature.

It's the most baffling decision I've ever seen. Modded PSPs can fix it with a simple change.

In spite of knowing all this, I finished it without a fix this year. Somehow.

well...I have Dark Souls II: SotFS now...I expect to die horribly (and hilariously) many times

I already fell off the edge at the beginning gazebo area thing...lol

Arthea

Oh yeah? Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) intentionally halves the framerate during action animations (spells, attacks, reactions, etc). It's a "remastered" version of the original PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics, which never had this... feature.

It's the most baffling decision I've ever seen. Modded PSPs can fix it with a simple change.

In spite of knowing all this, I finished it without a fix this year. Somehow.

That makes not even a trickle of sense... are you sure it's intentional and not a bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom