• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ability to permanently delete gifts has been a thing since Valve handed out Dota 2 beta invites like candy, IIRC. Valve allowed users to delete unwanted invites and also took into consideration gifts that no longer contain apps (such as DI: Epidemic's beta invites).

Oh, I thought it was the trashbot that jshackles implemented.
My bad :)

Shantom

I don't know if I'm just woefully out of touch but are peeps on gaming side generally excited about PS2 games on PS4? I mean I get that Sony and the IP holders need to get paid and especially since they command a pretty big market share they don't need to being doing this out of the 'kindness of their hearts' to win folks back but the enthusiasm and then defensiveness of some folks I feel is possibly setting a dangerous precedent. Of course I see some of the usual 'remaster everything' tubthumpers have a bit of crossover so I'm not surprised. Just imagine is Valve released Steam 2.0 and said 'right none of your past purchases will work but don't worry you can buy them all again and we'll throw in some features like mandatory trading cards for every release'. Not exactly comparable but there would be fucking pandemonium, well at least I hope so.
GOG is the better comparison - old games with bonuses that are guaranteed to work on new hardware, but you can't just put the original disc in and get a GOG copy.

Sarcasm

Award shows aren't really the end all say all, especially in gaming.

Is anything (like cheevos) miss-able and unobtainable in Psychonauts?

Dr Dogg

Well we are talking about Sony who can't implement User Name change after years of asking (even Ubisoft managed to find way to do it on UPlay). So it is not surprise that they can't transfer purchases (or whatever is called). As far as i know from reading interviews and generally news PSN is simply mess and every time they do something they are risking to break it. PS Store is place where wishlist is implemented last month. And it is pointless because there is no gifting option so it is partially useful (you can keep track of games you want). PS Store and PSN in general is still different for every region and you need to have account for different regions and in my opinion that is stupid in this day and age.

So this way they can earn money and skip all hassle about implementing system on PSN. And they simply can do it because there is no real competition. When software and network is in question in my opinion MS has way better people and system but Steam is still best Digital Store and Network out there.

Oh come on dex don't be so naive, go look at the web store and search for PS2 classics on there whilst signed in to an account you've purchased them on. They're tagged as purchased so nothing stoping Sony doing a lookup to see what you've purchased. Fact of the matter none of us know what license cost or middleware have been used in their emulator solution or what their contracts are with these parties. Couple that with the publisher releasing these games again and costs they might incur through licenses previously existing or to be renewed due to rereleasing them again. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that Joe Blogs doesn't know and frankly doesn't need to know but anyone with a lick of sense know these things most of the time aren't free, even employing one person to package them up and put them on the store will incur a cost let alone QA and such. As I said Sony is in a position where they don't have to do anyone favours and sure I bet there's still plenty of people out there that didn't own a PS2 or played games that are getting the treatment. No slight on them or this initiative but more over some of the attitudes of some people take. No corporate company is your friend and no matter how many times they say 'for the players' they're still a business who make decissions revolving primarily around profit than charity.

Tektonic

blah blah

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Company of Heroes 2 -- MB-E48608423F640D6D - Taken by Cyldman. 3 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-F6BEEA4908B0EA14
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: US Forces -- MB-EE81C2216548D480 - Taken by Zeknurn. 1 entrants total.

t1449316573z1.png

Tizoc

Oh come on dex don't be so naive, go look at the web store and search for PS2 classics on there whilst signed in to an account you've purchased them on. They're tagged as purchased so nothing stoping Sony doing a lookup to see what you've purchased. Fact of the matter none of us know what license cost or middleware have been used in their emulator solution or what their contracts are with these parties. Couple that with the publisher releasing these games again and costs they might incur through licenses previously existing or to be renewed due to rereleasing them again. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that Joe Blogs doesn't know and frankly doesn't need to know but anyone with a lick of sense know these things most of the time aren't free, even employing one person to package them up and put them on the store will incur a cost let alone QA and such. As I said Sony is in a position where they don't have to do anyone favours and sure I bet there's still plenty of people out there that didn't own a PS2 or played games that are getting the treatment. No slight on them or this initiative but more over some of the attitudes of some people take. No corporate company is your friend and no matter how many times they say 'for the players' they're still a business who make decissions revolving primarily around profit than charity.

Yeah that's the thing some people need to keep in mind regarding this.

Though some charities from them are awesome, like Yakuza 5~

dex3108

I still believable that it is combination of both (crappy PSN backend and business decision).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Deer God -- MB-7D4351F6041FE85C - Taken by Bayonetta
Quest for Infamy -- MB-61E14F7B0B3EBAA8 - Taken by madjoki
Cyto -- MB-20B3B190ECE6D2D8 - Taken by Purkake4

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

The Ritual on Weylyn Island

Chiming in to say this is actually a pretty good indie horror game. It's not entirely too long (about 2 hours), story is a bit predictable, the finale isn't bad but feels it could be a bit more, and is a bit low-budget. But it succeeds in making an interesting and engaging experience with some good atmosphere, good diversity, and mostly does a good job at realizing a sort of playable cinematic horror experience from beginning to end, and actually is one of the more ambitious and well-executed low-budgeted indie horror games I have played recently. It's a bit hard to articulate, but it's a good game I think some here might like quite a bit.

I bought it online. I'll try to call them too.
I'd definitely recommend going back to the retailer before Sony. Hopefully you'll get it swapped much quicker than it would take Sony to repair or replace it. For example, Amazon has great service because it usually sends out a replacement and then gives you a month to return the faulty unit.

fantomena

Can someone tell me what's wrong with Just Cause 3 or is it just the PC-version cause the game says "Mixed" on Steam in the user ratings?

tmarg

Can someone tell me what's wrong with Just Cause 3 or is it just the PC-version cause the game says "Mixed" on Steam in the user ratings?

From what I've heard, the PC version is by far the best, the console versions are a mess.

The reception of the game in general has been mixed.

From what I've heard, the PC version is by far the best, the console versions are a mess.

The reception of the game in general has been mixed.

That's from pre-release, judging by the videos.
Post-release though, the truth is finally out. You might want to check the PC performance thread for more info. The devs have also posted their comment on the matter. It's clearly not at the same level as AK though.

I hope someone can make a torrent out of that Dragon's Dogma file because Mega is a big nuisance to deal with.

I don't know for sure but I'd attribute it to the lack of polish that is very apparent in the game.

It's interesting how no one is talking about Fallout 4 here anymore. It's a pretty long game so I doubt most people will have finished it already. Are folks just playing through it quietly or is there really nothing to talk about?

I've personally finished two acts of the story in about 45 hours. Reached the point where you have to choose a path and take the plot to it's conclusion. This is usually when I wrap up all available side quests and miscellaneous stuff but I'm quickly losing the will to do that here. It really is a shame because for all it's faults, the one thing Bethesda managed to do (again) was to make a really compelling game world. The type where you can start walking in any direction and end up in a cool place. That place could have a good side story or have great artwork or some random event going on that's really interesting. It's just that the actual game design and mechanics have started to grate on my nerves and I have no desire left to explore the world.

I always thought knowing in advance exactly what you get when you play a Bethesda game would have eliminated the potential disappointment but that has not happened for me in this case.

Knurek

Downwell is surprisingly amazing.

Great for that 5-10 minute session when you don't want to waddle through all those company/middleware logos and loading.

Tenrius

Hmm, Lords of the Fallen suddenly stopped working correctly for me. I have to play it in 720p in order to have a better FPS rate and it was fine when I played the other day. But the 720p just stopped scaling to my 1080p for some reason and the game now plays inside a tiny rectangle. What a piece of junk, seriously.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Did you come up with some rational criteria to select which games to remove?

Or did you just go randomly through your library?
Since they added the feature to hide games I have made multiple passes through my games list adding to that pile. That was the starting point. It was all games that I will never finish and regret purchasing because they weren't good, indie bundle trash and publisher bundle trash, and games that I have finished and will never touch again. Amusingly enough I can still access probably 60-70% of the games through family sharing if I so desired.

Alright, I caved, bought Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Unity got a lot of crap but I'm really enjoying it more than Black Flag, navigating the streets of Paris is a lot more enjoyable than sailing the empty sea with a few sea shanties on rotation.

Ban Puncher

December 31st - Kojima's contract expires with Konami at midnight.

January 1st - Japan closed due to shrine visits just like in my Japanese animes.

January 2nd - "Konami regrets to inform MGSV:TPP customers that they have decided not to go ahead with the launch of Metal Gear Online for PC."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom