• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wii VC games go for $15-20 price range on the Wii U but I hardly see 20+ pages filled with rage and whining

PS2 Classics go for $15 on PS4 and every body is bitchin' about it.

BRB gonna go buy a $100 psn cash code and grab me some jRPG goodness for my PS4, also war of the monsters.
I think that it's because you can't use your PS2 discs. The Wii U lets you use Wii discs that you already have.

I don't think that an old game should be less valuable than a new one, especially if it's better, so I don't really have a problem with the price, just the inability to use the discs that I still have.

They do the same thing when there's a publisher weekend and it includes a recent game...they'll list it with all of the games on sale but have no discount on it

Ah, right. So this is just another exposure for the games then.
Kinda surprised to see AC Syndicate at 40% off already. It's not even a month yet.

Just sold a Killing Floor 2 crate for around 5.50€. Yep, I'm happy they added this sort of thing to the game.

And that The Witcher 3 sale is even more enticing now...

"Hey Frost, where ya been, what's happening?"
Congrats. Maybe it's not a real old style survival horror, but I think TEW is one of the best horror games of the last few years. Hope to see more similar games from Tango.

Tizoc

I think that it's because you can't use your PS2 discs. The Wii U lets you use Wii discs that you already have.

I don't think that an old game should be less valuable than a new one, especially if it's better, so I don't really have a problem with the price, just the inability to use the discs that I still have.

Ah fair enough I guess, but the Wii U does straight emulation of the Wii games doesn't it? It doesn't improve performance like what Sony's done to these digital releases.

Eila

Wii VC games go for $15-20 price range on the Wii U but I hardly see 20+ pages filled with rage and whining

PS2 Classics go for $15 on PS4 and every body is bitchin' about it.

BRB gonna go buy a $100 psn cash code and grab me some jRPG goodness for my PS4, also war of the monsters.

It's nintendo. It's expected. See NES and N64 prices.
Just download PCSX2 for PS2 emulation.

Kriken

Sorry, but that title goes to Pinwheel.

I used to think that as well... until I played Dark Souls 2

DmfrP2M.png

DmfrP2M.png

He was a joke in my first playthrough and then an embarassing obstacle in with my second char... which means Pinwheel endures as the saddest boss in Soulsian history.

There's one I want to call out in DS1, about comparable to Pinwheel, but I don't remember a thing about him. He's in some tunnel underground; some sort of fire-shooting asylum demon. The fight was over before even began.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is there a Dark Souls armour more iconic than Havel's set? It's the Darth Vader of Soulsian lore.

To be clear, I mean the starter club the deprived class starts with. Not the comically giant Havel clubs.
club.png

I tried several weapons in DS1 but always went back to the club. Can't imagine playing without the little leap attack the club is capable of. Its animationfeel is out of this world.

It was only in DS2 that I was OK varying my weapons.
(DS2's best weapon is, of course, the Manslayer.)
eh, not a fan of clubs or katanas

i wish there were more sycthes and whips, those kind of weird weapons really appeal to me

DasFool

In light of all the Game of the Year stuff happening, I decided to look at what games I've played that actually came out in 2015. The list is shockingly underpopulated. It is as follows:
Life is Strange, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Her Story, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, SOMA (watched), Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

I'm not entirely sure if SOMA should count. Without it, that amounts to 6 total games. I guess my point in thinking about this is that the Steam library, while diverse in catalog, it is missing a surprising amount of gems. Exclusivity can be hit or miss, but when it works, the games are always damn good.

Question to you all: how many games have you played that have come out this year? Are you satisfied or displeased with the offerings? What would you like to see eventually make its way to Steam?

Sega bring goddamn Yakuza to the PC so I don't have to hook up my 10 year old piece of shit PS3 to play it.

eh, not a fan of clubs or katanas

i wish there were more sycthes and whips, those kind of weird weapons really appeal to me

I don't think I ever came across a sythe.. bit of a bummer.

Dark Souls needs more whips though, definitely. (That's what the Manslayer's offhand was for!)

Suddenly, I remember why buying Scholars of the First Sin is a good idea.
In light of all the Game of the Year stuff happening, I decided to look at what games I've played that actually came out in 2015. The list is shockingly underpopulated. It is as follows:
Life is Strange, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Her Story, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, SOMA (watched), Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

I'm not entirely sure if SOMA should count. Without it, that amounts to 6 total games. I guess my point in thinking about this is that the Steam library, while diverse in catalog, it is missing a surprising amount of gems. Exclusivity can be hit or miss, but when it works, the games are always damn good.

Sega bring goddamn Yakuza to the PC so I don't have to hook up my 10 year old piece of shit PS3 to play it.

Play Sunless Sea, Tales From the Borderlands, and Dragonball Xenoverse and you'll be set for 2015.

DasFool

Play Sunless Sea, Tales From the Borderlands, and Dragonball Xenoverse and you'll be set for 2015.

I'd like to play TFtB, but Telltale's games have a history of reaching 75% off FAST, so I will wait for that.

The last Dragon Ball game I enjoyed was Budokai Tenkaichi 2, with my favorite being Budokai 3. How does Xenoverse hold up to those two?

Sober

Started episode 1 of Tales From The Borderlands. Pretty good. Knew everyone sounded familiar and of course as the credits roll, Troy Baker and Laura Bailey.

I didn't mind most of the humour from BL2 but most of it was bad but the style of humour here feels like a couple steps about Anthony Burch's stuff. Well mostly, because I guess they still have to work with his stuff a bit, but it seems to hit better here too. Also maybe because it's not just voice comm stuff.

Teeth

Sorry, but that title goes to Pinwheel.

DmfrP2M.png

Two things about these bosses:

1) Pinwheel was specifically made to be easy; well, not really "easy" so much as low health. He is there as a reward for bold players that go into the Catacombs as soon as the game starts, rewarding them with the ability to boost bonfires to 20 Estus. His health is low so that he can be beaten with starting weapons and not have it take an hour of wailing on him before he goes down. He seems like a piece of cake because everyone always goes there late game once they are all boosted up.

He's actually a piece of design genius.

2) Dark Souls 2 has a bunch of easy "bosses" because they aren't really bosses, they are mini-bosses. If you look at the macro design of DS2, it doesn't really have any of the mid-bosses like the Tower Shield Black Knight or the Titanite Demons that DS1 does. Instead, they slapped on fog gates and just made them standard boss fights, but the difficulty curve and frequency is about the same. It makes DS2 look like it has a ton of bosses, but that's just cuz they restructured the areas to make mid bosses into full bosses. It's same principle as having lots of smaller areas...you get the same amount of content, but the visual design varies more. (of course, this doesn't really take into account the fact that all of the bosses in DS2 are just easier overall, but that's a discussion for another time).

zkylon

zkylewd
i think epicnamebro said something about pinwheel in japanese being the word for that theatre thing they do in i"s of two ppl in a big coat making foods looking silly and that pinwheel's kind of supposed to be a joke boss, sorta

Soulflarz

Banned
i think epicnamebro said something about pinwheel in japanese being the word for that theatre thing they do in i"s of two ppl in a big coat making foods looking silly and that pinwheel's kind of supposed to be a joke boss, sorta

KIND OF

easiest boss ever pls

Ah, of course. From can never make mistakes, only genius decisions.
I'd like to play TFtB, but Telltale's games have a history of reaching 75% off FAST, so I will wait for that.

The last Dragon Ball game I enjoyed was Budokai Tenkaichi 2, with my favorite being Budokai 3. How does Xenoverse hold up to those two?
The Humble Store actually sold Tales for about that amount some months ago, with the catch that you had to buy other TellTale titles for the highest discount. It's been, like, 33-50% off at most since then. Don't think either TFtB or GoT hit 50% when their final episodes released--TellTale's probably trying to avoid burning their userbase like that.

And as to Xenoverse vs. Budokai, no idea; I haven't played the latter. Xenoverse is, however, the Dragonball game of everyone's dreams. Believe it.

Teeth

Pretty tragic (lore wise) for a joke boss.

Ah, of course. From can never make mistakes, only genius decisions.

It's true, someone tripped over a desk and tapped the backspace button on the Pinwheel boss health, making him take 1/10th the number of hits as the bosses immediately before and after him in standard progression.

After dozens of iterations of the fight and thousands of man hours of testing, no one noticed or said anything.

A tragic mistake.

Can't you just do it from the control panel of your computer?

How did some people ever manage before Steam started handling installations and autoupdates and all that?

Does anyone remember waiting around for timers to expire before you could download patches from Fileplanet?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER -- MB-098CF05C05F70F9E - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.
Bloodrayne Betrayal -- MB-F5B25D3F7C59AF11 - Taken by impliedsignificance. 2 entrants total.
Love -- MB-70C160AD28B9D711 - Taken by Madridista. 1 entrants total.
Super Cyborg -- MB-3EFF7B0040787741 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Shadows on the Vatican Act I: Greed -- MB-CDB91C883A2130FE - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Crow -- MB-A360D9AA35892EDE - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Ancients of Fasaria: Chess Club -- MB-EF437DF4BA8D6BAB - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
Go To Bed: Survive The Night -- MB-1B0553F554CD96A1 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Shutter -- MB-04A18039DC9E9D8F - Taken by KenOD. 2 entrants total.
Fine Sweeper -- MB-285AF687246CF6C6 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Ghost Encounters: Deadwood - Collector's Edition -- MB-1FDD9641401323F0 - Taken by The_Monk. 1 entrants total.
Momodora III -- MB-95C0AA269242FBE1 - Taken by zkylon. 2 entrants total.
Sword of Asumi - Deluxe Edition -- MB-5D8928BA9B0CBA3C - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Grey Cubes -- MB-15427BA463DB2CBF - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Super Star Path -- MB-DB57E400FBB66F6C - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
Hypership Out of Control -- MB-289A2C8B09D50508 - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ -- MB-44847422C5CEC6A7
Chargeshot -- MB-5F7916162FA4B32F - Taken by bkw. 1 entrants total.
Advent Rising -- MB-52060BE6F3685E3A - Taken by yoshizzle. 1 entrants total.

t1449301212z1.png

stuff

It's true, someone tripped over a desk and tapped the backspace button on the Pinwheel boss health, making him take 1/10th the number of hits as the bosses immediately before and after him in standard progression.

After dozens of iterations of the fight and thousands of man hours of testing, no one noticed or said anything.

A tragic mistake.

Lost Izalith is a tragic mistake. Pinwheel is still just a joke.
Just Cause 3 is large enough that the download takes long enough that I can start to regret my purchase before I even start the game!
Now, now... you'll have two hours of actual playtime to ponder regrets.

Teeth

Lost Izalith is a tragic mistake. Pinwheel is still just a just a joke.

Now, now... you'll have two hours of actual playtime to ponder regrets.

Izalith is poorly designed.

Pinwheel is well designed.

Give him a try right after the crow drops you off. You'll find him a cool boss and good challenge that you don't get to see otherwise.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
uh
I cant uninstall shadow complex unless im blind
EPIC
THIS ISNT HOW YOU MAKE A CLIENT

The downwards pointing arrow on the Launch button should open a menu with Uninstall and Verify in it.

Speaking of Shadow Complex, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Very neat little Metroidvania.

Say, has the voice actor for the main character ever done anything else? He seems talented, like he'd be a good fit for other brown haired middle-aged white action heroes. Also, a dude named Jason in tshirt over longsleeves single handedly killing an entire mercenary army to save his girlfriend seems like a super original concept, surprised I haven't done it at least two other times.

For the people who are throwing their games away; does going from say 1000 to 999 revert your game collector badge status?

Ugh, I'm excited for Yakuza 5 but it means I have to play a PS3 game which sucks. Going to have to clear double the space of the game to start the download which will take a billion hours and even longer to install it once it's finished because it doesn't automatically do it, and it'll run and look like shit. Bummer. Only played KH 1/2.5 collections recently and those are pretty good and run at 900/1080P I think but they're hardly the norm for the system.

Tizoc

For the people who are throwing their games away; does going from say 1000 to 999 revert your game collector badge status?

Ugh, I'm excited for Yakuza 5 but it means I have to play a PS3 game which sucks. Going to have to clear double the space of the game to start the download which will take a billion hours and even longer to install it once it's finished because it doesn't automatically do it, and it'll run and look like shit. Bummer.

Only played KH 1/2.5 collections recently and those are pretty good and run at 900/1080P I think but they're hardly the norm for the system.

I already have lots of free space for Y5 heh, gonna have a few more once I find out how these PS2 classics on PS4 work.

I already have lots of free space for Y5 heh, gonna have a few more once I find out how these PS2 classics on PS4 work.
I never upgraded beyond a 120GB drive on my the slim I replaced my launch unit within so the years have been a terrible puzzle of deleting and reinstalling games.

I might buy Twisted Metal Black just to support my love, still a terrible shame that the PS3 one launched with broken online which killed the multiplayer focused game >_>

Oh well. STEAM

How do you unlock the big head for Rico in Just Cause 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom