• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yay, another piece of coal. I've gotten absolutely nothing of value at all so far (ok, one 25% Valve coupon, lol).

So... Defense Grid? What, if anything, makes it worth paying for over the millions of other tower defense games (many of which are free to play) out there?

Most tower defense games are shit. You should buy it because it is the best pure TD game. No contest. After playing Defense Grid every other TD game will be a unbalances mess to you, it's that engaging. I hate tower defense because I played too much of it in Warcraft 3 but Defense Grid is the one exception.

Also Orcs must Die is the best action TD game.

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, another piece of coal. I've gotten absolutely nothing of value at all so far (ok, one 25% Valve coupon, lol).

So... Defense Grid? What, if anything, makes it worth paying for over the millions of other tower defense games (many of which are free to play) out there?
It's polished, has lasers, and has a funny British robot voice. It does a good job introducing you to different weapons. It has (had?) a free map or two with GLADOS sound effects which are also funny. It's potentially addictive. You can beat the game instead of endlessly playing like say, tetris. Overall it just seems like a good implementation but I don't play other tower defense except for Orcs Must Die eventually.

I don't like paid DLC much but presumably the Defense Grid DLC is cheap right now.

Erasus

Anyone remember if the Hitman series, the Still life series or the Syberia games have ever been daily deals? I've only been with Steam since the summer sale and none of those games were daily deals.

uuuuuuh Hitman was on sale this summer, I got Blood Munnay

Durante

Most tower defense games are shit. You should buy it because it is the best pure TD game. No contest. After playing Defense Grid every other TD game will be a unbalances mess to you, it's that engaging. I hate tower defense because I played too much of it in Warcraft 3 but Defense Grid is the one exception.
Actually, you are almost right. Defense Grid is the best TD game on PC. The best overall TD game is Comet Crash.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Also Orcs must Die is the best action TD game.

Ok, cool. If I get it, should I get the pack with all the DLC?

I already have Orcs Must Die, and I enjoy it!

Kabouter

I heard people saying that Warband is better than With Fire and Sword.

It is, by a long long way. The thing is, the best thing about Warband is the one thing that With Fire and Sword doesn't really have. Freedom. Warband allows you, especially with a bit of modding (I used the Floris Mod Pack, but preferences can vary of course), to do some pretty awesome empire building. Rising from a single knight to controlling a small empire. It is a lot of fun. With Fire and Sword is much more linear, and is one of my biggest disappointments of 2011.

cicero

Is Neverwinter Nights 2 any good?

It is definitely worth $5, especially the extra campaigns in the two expansions included in this platinum package. But if money is tight and you want the most for this type of RPG, I would go with one of the $5 Bioware/Black Isle Studio/Troika RPGs currently on sale on GOG. Better value for your $5, if money is the issue that is. Otherwise, buy NWN2 Platinum.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas11

Scythian

I never understood how the D&D campaigns "work", if I just want to play the GAF-acclaimed expansion of NWN2, do I have to play the main campaign and reach the recommended level? Or can I jump right in with a new character?

inky

I have 7 now as well. Do I dare?

Nah, 7 chances of winning nothing >>>> 1 useless coupon for a game you probably have already/is on sale atm. I'm not gonna risk being even more disappointed.

At least with the summer tickets I could choose what I wanted (even if most stuff was lame) and after you redeemed your tickets they still counted towards the raffle.

Fou-Lu

Really uncertain about if I want Batman Arkham City or not. I only played Arkham Asylum for a couple hours and while the atmosphere was great I wasn't a big fan of how Batman controlled.

Definitely picking up NWN2 and Swords & Soldiers.

Also what's Grotesque Tactics about?

Holy freaking crap! I didn't knew you could win games. I thought it was just coupons and coal but I just won this:

zsnvW.png

WOHOO!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I think I just won the best coupon available, 10% off a Bethesda game.

Awesome.

For the group joining achievement I got Rome: Total War for free. So far I have won 2 games (The aforementioned and Killing Floor) and 3 lumps of coal. Not a bad good to coal ratio if I'm honest.

Edit: *looks up* BASTARD! Well done Metalmurphy!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Awesome.

For the group joining achievement I got Rome: Total War for free. So far I have won 2 games (The aforementioned and Killing Floor) and 3 lumps of coal. Not a bad good to coal ratio if I'm honest.

Edit: *looks up* BASTARD! Well done Metalmurphy!

That's pretty great. I've won one 25% Valve coupon and four pieces of coal. Absolute trash.

I've only gotten two achievements that have redeemed so far, and the second one just gave me Jurrasic Park, the full game. Not too shabby. I've heard there isn't much gameplay in this, but kinda wanted to try it anyway - was waiting for a cheap cheap sale sometime down the road. Not anymore! (That is unless someone wants to make me a good trade offer...hint..hint)

freeJP.jpg

ultron87

It is, by a long long way. The thing is, the best thing about Warband is the one thing that With Fire and Sword doesn't really have. Freedom. Warband allows you, especially with a bit of modding (I used the Floris Mod Pack, but preferences can vary of course), to do some pretty awesome empire building. Rising from a single knight to controlling a small empire. It is a lot of fun. With Fire and Sword is much more linear, and is one of my biggest disappointments of 2011.

Awesome. Sounds like Warband is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone who answered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom