• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I have 14 pieces of coal and I am conflicted if I want to attempt crafting.

D:

You know this is random. And had you crafted at the very moment you hit reply, you would have gotten the game you most wanted. That was your moment.

Now you're getting the worst coupon you can think of. You blew it. Shouldn't have waited.

Volcynika

You know this is random. And had you crafted at the very moment you hit reply, you would have gotten the game you most wanted. That was your moment.

Now you're getting the worst coupon you can think of. You blew it. Shouldn't have waited.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Today's episode of Adventures with ATI:
Bionic Commando: Rearmed had some major jank. I thought maybe it was my FPS because of my AA setting or something. Turned on FRAPS and it reports 60fps so it's definitely just a jank problem. I tried recording this with FRAPS and suddenly it's smooth as silk, so obviously the the FRAPS framelimiter was working better than the one in the game. Well I'm not a technical guru but I do know that vsync turns off in windowed mode so maybe that has something to do with framelimiting, so I set it into windowed mode and there we go, problem solved... except I'm in windowed mode, which I guess isn't so bad for this game.

Yes, I am just assuming this fullscreen mode jank is an ATI-exclusive feature, but this kind of shit has happened too many times so I think it's a safe bet. Can we get confirmation via ATI & nVidia owner reports?

Platy

Super Meat Boy is giving me a bug that don't let me startup.... whyyy ???

Did i lost my save ??? =(

Alright, let's do this.

Fx6su.png

...Fuck. Already have that game and it's 50% off during the sale anyway. Yay.

You got Team Frotress 2 from the gifts ???

that is .. wrong

Card Boy

Banned
Simple solution is to trade off the coals to some gaffers in the community thread.

I got Mafia 1 for 3 coals. Guaranteed Games>Chance of win a game.

Mikeside

man, I've done 13 objectives so far and all I've got is 5 coal and some stinkin' coupons
I have the worst luck

Anyone want any of these:

33% off Valve
50% off Railworks TrainSim 2012
50% off Machinarium
50% off Chantelise
50% off F1 2011

KScorp

Quick Guardians of Graxia impression:

It's like a combination of Civ V unit battles, and Magic the Gathering. You have a deck which holds all units and spells, draw several cards each turn. You summon units and cast spells with the mana you have in your hand, which is replenished at the beginning of your turn. You place your summoned units on the field, which is hexagon based (like Civ V). You move them around, attack nearby units, use their special abilities, cast spells, etc. Turn based strategy game. I only played the tutorial so far, but it doesn't seem like a terrible concept. Due to the complexity (most units have several abilities, there are a lot of different things happening during each phase of a turn) I can't say how well the game holds up in later levels and difficulty. The UI can use a lot of work though, for instance I pick a unit to place by mistake and I can't change the unit I'm placing for some reason.

I enjoyed my short experience with it though. If you like both the way battles between units works in Civ V, and enjoy Magic the Gathering, I think this wouldn't be a bad buy.

/badlywrittenimpression

Overall, not that bad of a game.

EDIT: Looking over it more, it lacks multiplayer, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of content, even with the map pack. That's a shame, the concept behind this game is very good.

Big-E

Valve fucked up with these coupons. They should at least have all been applicable to the current sale. WTF is any decent Steam user going to do with coupons for games no one wants or has coupled with the fact the majority of the coupons are worse discounts then what the games are currently selling for.

On the subject of games, I need impressions on Grotesque Tactics 1-2 as well as NWN2. I will probably buy that Swords and Soldiers game.

Giard

How did you guys get that many coupons and coals? Is it because you've owned the majority of the games shown in the daily objectives?

Blizzard

Banned
Arkham Asylum feels like it's been on sale like 5+ times in the last year or so, so maybe they figured they didn't need a daily (or maybe it will still happen). :p I don't know what the prices were though.

Big-E

Pretty much everyone posting about their coupons and gifts. It's a general question.

A dedicated Steam User for numerous years will have over 100 games if they follow sales and are a little liberal with their wallet. I am approaching my 200th steam game and we have Gaffers in here with over 300. When we have this many games, the chances of us having games in the achievement list are quite high. I also have bought a couple of games I somehow never got around to buying and did so for the chance at gifts.

Mikeside

Pretty much everyone posting about their coupons and gifts. It's a general question.

ah OK

Well I've had a lot of the objective games - a few that I didn't already have I've bought; Psychnoauts, Orcs Must Die! and Guardians of Graxia I would've bought anyway, Only one I've regretted so far is Jurassic Park which is OMG terrible.

ElRenoRaven

Simple solution is to trade off the coals to some gaffers in the community thread.

Yup. That's what I'm doing. At least that way you're guaranteed a game you want without the risk of more coupons to go with those you'll already be getting.

Symphonic

Fixed JP. Apparently running it in 98 compatibility fixes it. loltelltale

However, if you're looking for a good interactive movie-type game, I'd highly recommend it for 15 bucks. Good stuff. Playing with a controller, so can't speak for keyboard controls.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Quick Guardians of Graxia impression:

It's like a combination of Civ V unit battles, and Magic the Gathering. You have a deck which holds all units and spells, draw several cards each turn. You summon units and cast spells with the mana you have in your hand, which is replenished at the beginning of your turn. You place your summoned units on the field, which is hexagon based (like Civ V). You move them around, attack nearby units, use their special abilities, cast spells, etc. Turn based strategy game. I only played the tutorial so far, but it doesn't seem like a terrible concept. Due to the complexity (most units have several abilities, there are a lot of different things happening during each phase of a turn) I can't say how well the game holds up in later levels and difficulty. The UI can use a lot of work though, for instance I pick a unit to place by mistake and I can't change the unit I'm placing for some reason.

I enjoyed my short experience with it though. If you like both the way battles between units works in Civ V, and enjoy Magic the Gathering, I think this wouldn't be a bad buy.

/badlywrittenimpression

Overall, not that bad of a game.

:O

I'm in

EDIT: Wait, crap, is this the one without much content or multiplayer?

Hellish

Steam Sale n00b here (First time having a computer worth gaming on)

Picked up

Modern Warfare 2 - $14.99
Batman Arkkham City - $24.99
Defense Grid + DLC - $3.99

not looking like a good month, + already own mw2 on xbox, and mw3 on pc and xbox,

Wallet is not safe

...3 coal + 1 33% off valve so far in gifts

and had to delete my other games and move all of steam to my regulard hdd off my ssd, as I did not see a way to choose where to install games without using command prompt after dl or steam mover, so now I am just going to use steam mover to move games to the SSD that I will be playing a lot.

Caerith

A lot of the objective achievements are from games that have been on sale before and included in bundles, etc. For instance, the Indie Strategy Bundle from a while back for $10: Anomaly (Monday), Defense Grid (Today), Sanctum (soon) and Revenge of the Titans (soon). Humble Bundle and Indie Royale also cover a lot of bases for the upcoming cheevos. Plus the freebies (click here, Spiral Knights, join the official group, etc).

So yeah, a lot of it is already having the games.

ah OK

Well I've had a lot of the objective games - a few that I didn't already have I've bought; Psychnoauts, Orcs Must Die! and Guardians of Graxia I would've bought anyway, Only one I've regretted so far is Jurassic Park which is OMG terrible.
Just how terrible is Jurassic Park? I'm a huge fan of Telltale's Sam & Max, and was a bit disappointed with BttF (action-adventure doesn't translate well into point-and-click adventure). What makes JP bad?

Mikeside

A lot of the objective achievements are from games that have been on sale before and included in bundles, etc. For instance, the Indie Strategy Bundle from a while back for $10: Anomaly (Monday), Defense Grid (Today), Sanctum (soon) and Revenge of the Titans (soon). Humble Bundle and Indie Royale also cover a lot of bases for the upcoming cheevos. Plus the freebies (click here, Spiral Knights, join the official group, etc).

So yeah, a lot of it is already having the games.

Just how terrible is Jurassic Park? I'm a huge fan of Telltale's Sam & Max, and was a bit disappointed with BttF (action-adventure doesn't translate well into point-and-click adventure). What makes JP bad?

so far it seems like a poorly done Heavy Rain style game with terrible voice acting. I really didn't think I could come out of a JP game hating it, my love for the movies is so vast...

KScorp

Yea the exclusion of multiplayer is astoundingly baffling, the game is literally made for it.

That aside, it's still pretty cool.

Yeah, just looked into it more and I'm surprised how little content there is for this game. Added that into my quick impression.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NWN2 worth the price guys?

I've heard a lot of good things about Mask of the Betrayer, one of the three campaigns included in the game. I've only played four or so hours, but the story and characters are supposed to be great. I think your enjoyment of the game depends on your interest in D&D stuff, I find it a bit overwhelming but I'm totally inexperienced with D&D. There's no question that it offers a lot of content for the price, though.

Prophane33

So much this, traded 6 coal for Neverwinter Nights 2, yeah for 1 more coal i could have got "SOMETHING", but I would have rather got something I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom