• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

I won Dota 2

aBmoK.jpg

Dota 2 - Hardware survey ?????

edit -

Well I got an AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA coupon

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA.png

For a min I tought Valvé was going crazy

I would not use and keep it like a trophy .... HILARIOUS coupon

Oreoleo

Yeah, I've not received two of my gifts for achievements tonight. And earlier I was seeing <10kb downloads.

This was happening the other day. There was like a 30 minute delay between getting the achievement and it registering in the gift pile.

My theory is this TF2 update that just went out an hour ago that gave everyone a new in-game gift to give out put the servers over the edge again.

wilflare

with all the typos.. i somehow feel that Gabe is trolling us with those coupons
like these coupons will become real games at the end of the sale or something.

that would be hilarious hahaha

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Whoa. That's a real game? Who would give their game such a screwed up name?

Guys making a game about jumping off stupidly high buildings. Try finding a better name for that.

gotee12

This was happening the other day. There was like a 30 minute delay between getting the achievement and it registering in the gift pile.

My theory is this TF2 update that just went out an hour ago that gave everyone a new in-game gift to give out put the servers over the edge again.

Yep. I just hit my third achievement and still no gifts. It's for the best though, I couldn't handle the excitement of getting three coupons in one night...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How long do these deals last? I'm tempted to buy Batman AC, but i asked this game for Xmas and its in 3 days already. Will this deal still be there by december 25th?

Tambini

How long do these deals last? I'm tempted to buy Batman AC, but i asked this game for Xmas and its in 3 days already. Will this deal still be there by december 25th?

These daily deals last 28 hours I think

I believe there is a 4 hour period after 24 hours is up in which the deal lingers

FatBaby

Can you not buy 4-packs if you already have the game yourself? I don't get this.

I am trying to buy Payday for 4 friends and it's not letting me. I already have the game and I would like to take advantage of buying a 4 pack for the savings rather buying the game 4 times.

Volcynika

Can you not buy 4-packs if you already have the game yourself? I don't get this.

I am trying to buy Payday for 4 friends and it's not letting me. I already have the game and I would like to take advantage of buying a 4 pack for the savings rather buying the game 4 times.

That's just how the system works now, the buyer has to be able to get a copy. I do remember hearing they were working on changing it or something.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played through about 2/3rds of Ripper on 360. Pretty meh. Terrible visuals and exploration, decent to above average puzzles. Have no idea about the previous installments from the company.

Ripper is considered the best of the bunch. I liked the setting, but yeah, there are quite a few adventures I would recommend high and above them (The Whispered World anyone?)

Toma

In case anyone is interested, my two cents on Guardians of Graxia:

Two short points:

1. I think the 55% metacritic is undeserved and does not represent the overall quality of the game systems and level of depth to be had...

2. ... but its hard to outright recommend it to others, because it has 2 major issues:
- No online/mp play in a turn based card-boardgame (why?)
- You cant speed up enemy turns.

A bit more:

I think its unfair to criticize a game for not having an mp component. I mean I was playing strategy games like C&C1 until my eyes bled alone against the A.I. Its just that we take it as a given nowadays that this stands out as a negative. People (including me) expect such a feature from such a game, but its still bad if you downgrade it for missing such a component. I think giving two scores for MP and SP campaigns/modes would be generally more representative for videogames. And the SP isnt a 55% metacritics (though not far off, but a bit higher).

Why?
As I mentioned before, the most sore point for me is the speed of the game. Its not actually slow, and the UI is actually rather thoughtful developed (You can zoom into the card bar with the mouse wheel), but when an enemy is commanding 30-40 units.. it..... takes.............a while ................ until....you.................. finally.......... are...................... able ..............to ............... react..... to.............what ........................he ......................did. You'd get a similar problem when fighting 20 of the enemies units but thats more like "Risk" in that you eagerly anticipate the outcome of every battle, because at its CORE the game's foundation is surprisingly solid.

How so?
Someone earlier described it as Magic meets Civilization, which basically hits the nail on the head. You get cards, you summon monsters, you play spells and defeat the enemy on a hexagonal tiled board with stats on each field. Also the monsters have lots of differences and abilities. It is actually really fun to plan your strategy. In the beginning you are a bit lost when it comes to judging the enemy behaviour, which makes planning harder, but even though the tutorials arent perfect, the game starts you off with 2-3 enemies instead of 30 and tries to give some direction how the game can be played.

Conclusion:

Its an actually well thought out strategy system and in my opinion worth a look for people into checking out weird, and non perfect games. The battle system IS rewarding (units even level up if you keep them around, adding another incentive to play strategically) but its ultimately dragged down by watching time consuming enemy movements. (seriously, my biggest complaint).

Oh yeah, and hands off if you dont like strategic games at all. Considering how many skills/cards you might be able to use, this can get quite challenging later on.

No "Toma Seal of Approval" but I guess I'll give it more playtime at some point (which is more than what I could say about Numen, Doc Clock, i-fluid (horrible, horrible game) or Eternities Child (oh god... the nightmares coming back to me mentioning it.. *shivers*)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Guys making a game about jumping off stupidly high buildings. Try finding a better name for that.

The official name is: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaAAaAAAAAAaaaaAAAAaa!!!: A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Now watch how I improve on that name. Ready?

A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

At least VVVVVV while a terrible name sticks to six "V"s instead of the random upper and lower case "A"s that change whenever the game's name is written.

wilflare

Heaven forbid I surprise them with a game. :/

I don't know, I guess it makes sense, but it's pretty disappointing if it has to be that way.

sneak on their PC while they are away.
buy the 4pack
trade games to yourself
when your friend returns, shout surprise
and then proceed to surprise 3 other friends

Toma

The official name is: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaAAaAAAAAAaaaaAAAAaa!!!: A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Now watch how I improve on that name. Ready?

A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

At least VVVVVV while a terrible name sticks to six "V"s instead of the random upper and lower case "A"s that change whenever the game's name is written.

Well, that is subjective, but do you know what the name perfectly did? It made you (and others) talk about the game, mentioning it to people who never heard about it before without completely alienating them. I'd say thats a damn fine achievement for a game name.

But I agree, stylistically the "subtitle" sounds better and I think its more pleasing as well. But I think their name choice was spot on and did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom