• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Any idea if there are still people out there wanting to get into the Dota 2 beta? I won that as a prize but I don't want it, wasn't sure if I'd be able to exchange it for some games I actually wanted or not.

Yep I want in the beta but all I got is coal.

MBison

Thoughts on Stalker?

Also an adventure fans play the Sherlock Holmes games? Seems like a lot of game for 8 bucks if they aren't awful.

Finally Jurassic Park? I know it's all QTE but if it's remotely enjoyable... Though it'll be 4.99 before too long.

Helps!!

Thoughts on Stalker?

Also an adventure fans play the Sherlock Holmes games? Seems like a lot of game for 8 bucks if they aren't awful.

Finally Jurassic Park? I know it's all QTE but if it's remotely enjoyable... Though it'll be 4.99 before too long.

Helps!!

Stalker games are amazing. Rough, hard, free and sometimes frustrating, but the experience you get from it is exhilarating. Buy Call of Prypiat, download the Complete Mod and profit.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Also an adventure fans play the Sherlock Holmes games? Seems like a lot of game for 8 bucks if they aren't awful

I haven't played them myself but my fiancee has played all of them and she enjoyed them well enough. Probably a bit on the easy side. Watson is pretty creepy in one of them too.

MBison

Stalker games are amazing. Rough, hard, free and sometimes frustrating, but the experience you get from it is exhilarating. Buy Call of Prypiat, download the Complete Mod and profit.

So should I only get that one and not the other one? Thanks for the helps!

So should I only get that one and not the other one? Thanks for the helps!

Call of Pripyat is the last game released, by far the most polish and accessible. Also, the best overall.

Shadow of Tchernobyl (strangely, the most expensive) is the first one. One could argue it's still very good, and I would agree, but it's not as good as CoP. If you like CoP, try to buy Shadow of Tchernobyl one day, because the last two hours of the game, especially if you get the " good " ending, is one of the most awesome fps experience in my gamer's life. Also, for your culture, Shadow of Tchernobyl is now a cult classic, a breed of FPS that has disappeared.

Clear Sky is a prologue, and even if it introduce the base of everything that made CoP good, it's still a buggy, unbalanced mess with great ideas but a terrible execution and a very disappointing end game.

Caerith

Has anyone else gotten and played Psychonauts with a controller? I'm using a DS3 with Motioninjoy, and not having a lot of luck. Any advice?

JAGII

Neo Member
Well, it's your fault for buying games for that stuff. DoD is a great game, though.

Oh, I know its my fault. Just lamenting out loud.

And I don't doubt that DoD has its charms -- and maybe even GoG, for that matter. But I went in for the wrong reasons and I am really, really regretting it now.

SmithnCo

Did the Spiral Knights achievement and got 50% off Chantelise. Which is what it is during the sale... Man most of these coupons are totally useless, wish you could turn them into coal.

jediyoshi

Has anyone else gotten and played Psychonauts with a controller? I'm using a DS3 with Motioninjoy, and not having a lot of luck. Any advice?

Make sure to use whatever the functionality was in motioninjoy that makes it think its a 360 controller.

Also a tiny patch looks like it just came out, seems to have solved the lighting issue.

dkryL.jpg

Vamphuntr

I'm using an old Logitech DualAction controller (looks like a PS2 controller) and the game autodetected it and autobinded they keys and sticks properly. I didn't have to set anything.

Ive been going back and forth all day on buying it. If they would have had AA up today or before today it would have made the decision a lot easier. I dont want to buy just the second game in a series.

scitek

Make sure to use whatever the functionality was in motioninjoy that makes it think its a 360 controller.

Also a tiny patch looks like it just came out, seems to have solved the lighting issue.

dkryL.jpg

Man, that's fuckin' ace. They didn't even have to do that, but it's much appreciated.

Do I want Batman AC >_> Didn't like the button mashy combat of the first game how claustrophobic it was.

Seriously, if you learn the combat system, it's literally single button presses and aiming in the direction of the guy you want to hit next 99% of the time. I've put over 50 hours into AC since it launched. I don't even know how.

Fable 1
max payne 1 n 2
stalker pripyat
orcs must die

think is my slowest first 3 days ever for a steam sale o_O

I bought all the game I wanted (from my wishlist) because they were already at -75% so I spent 17€ and I have nothing else I plan to buy. So unless there's a crazy good deal on an unexpected game or on a gem that GAF make me insta buy, I think I'm done.

Symphonic

Thoughts on Stalker?

Helps!!

I really like Jurassic Park but I know of people that absolutely hate it. Really hit or miss with people (like all of Telltale's recent stuff), so I'd probably wait.

Any idea if there are still people out there wanting to get into the Dota 2 beta? I won that as a prize but I don't want it, wasn't sure if I'd be able to exchange it for some games I actually wanted or not.

Yeah, that's definitely worth something.

Did the Spiral Knights achievement and got 50% off Chantelise. Which is what it is during the sale... Man most of these coupons are totally useless, wish you could turn them into coal.

They should've made golden coupons more common, even if they were for small discounts. Being able to take another 20% off a daily deal would be a lot more satisfying than all these coupons that just match the sale-wide prices weeks later.

Also, people thinking about the Champions Online achievement ought to know that you have to go through a pretty substantial tutorial before you even get into the part of the city with the gifts. Say 30 minutes or maybe even more before you can even start farming. Seems like a decent game, though, so probably worth it if you're interested in the game.

camerooni

Neo Member
How does Grotesque Tactics play? Looks like Kings Bounty but the combat doesnt look turn based.

Think Shining Force style grid combat, and ability to walk through the map to find treasure chests and what not between combat rounds.. was surprisingly better than I expected (a few issues with the translation here and there.. and I'm not a huge fan of the Douche bag guy who thinks he's god.. and scantily clad archer-women.. but other than that the story and what not isn't bad at all).. The main character is annoyingly emo.. but he gets told to get a life frequently so it evens out in the wash.

Hoping to check out the second at some point.. but so much to play at the moment.. will have to wait for next sale.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Put in about 2 hours of Swords and Soldiers today. Really fucking fun. Its RTS lite for rejects like me. Who like to build stuff but the minute actual control is needed...OMG WTF, I suck.

Due to that, there isn't terribly much depth to it, but its a perfect fit for its length. Most games last about 5-10minutes at most.

Symphonic

Yeah, that's definitely worth something.

They should've made golden coupons more common, even if they were for small discounts. Being able to take another 20% off a daily deal would be a lot more satisfying than all these coupons that just match the sale-wide prices weeks later.

Also, people thinking about the Champions Online achievement ought to know that you have to go through a pretty substantial tutorial before you even get into the part of the city with the gifts. Say 30 minutes or maybe even more before you can even start farming. Seems like a decent game, though, so probably worth it if you're interested in the game.

I no longer regret playing through that long ass tutorial a couple months ago.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You need to find a gift and use it on 10 people or something, but since everyone is trying to find a gift... Also, Champions is a really shitty game.

Hey now, it's the best superhero MMO out there.

Though you wouldn't be able to customize your hero much without going gold. But the archetypes are definitely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom