• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Pretty dumb how your account has to be in good standing before sending a gift that you received.

I mean I gave you all my money and haven't done anything shady, what else do you f**king want Valve?

DrPirate

Banned
3 lumps of coal
1 copy of Half-Life 1 (LOL) woulda been useful getting that one like, 10 years ago...
1 Coupon for 50% of Stronghold 3, the long awaited 49.99$ sequel to a game I've never heard of with a metacritic of 49. Sweet.

Edit: I'd be willing to trade coal and coupons for stuff

just gifted a couple copies of NWN2 to my brother and to a close friend of ours who actually worked on it while he was at Obsidian. funnily enough that friend has been kind of down on the game in the past due to not enjoying his brief time with it. i assured him that the expansions were supposed to be stellar and that the game has the gaf co-op Seal of Approval.

i am pretty damn excited to try out the campaign with them. having never played it i was wondering if we should start with the base game or if we would be better off jumping right into Betrayer.

Overall, I've been impressed with how they've handled the coal system. With the help of me and my friend, we helped my brother get together 7 coal to trade for a copy of Terraria so we're all now rocking in three player coop.

I love this event so much, it's a shame that you have people abusing the achievements with multiple accounts and 0.01 copies of the indie bundle, as it's just hurting everyone involved with the bundle.

Chesskid1

Banned
best day for me. 3 genuine interesting games for me to buy that had coal achievements (defense grid, payday, and swords and soldiers). still deciding on NWN2 atm.

also did my first craft and got a 40% off witcher 2 coupon. that might be good in the future, since i didn't pick it up yet.

not sure what i'm going to do with future coal. i do think winning games is better from crafting coal then from the coal contest (even if its one you don't want). idk, maybe worth trading coal.

DOA

my tally for now:
7 coal (5 in a row)
50% on any valve game - starts from jan 2nd
50% on any rockstar game - starts from jan 2nd
50% on Frozen Synapse franchize (with or without soundtrack)

does anyone want to trade on the valve or Frozen Synapse coupons? i can use more coal :)

CryptiK

Seems the US has Batman at $24 can anyone help me out I live in Aus and we have it at $49 If some one can help out can you shoot me a PM or post in this thread please

Nabs

Renegade Ops is $3 on Amazon.com right now. Some guys on CAG said it includes the new DLC.

edit: Looks like it's OOS for now. New keys may not include the DLC, I don't know.

Mikeside

How bad is Jurassic Park if you freaking love Heavy Rain?

Everyone keeps saying JP is bad because it's like Heavy Rain, but uh, some people like Heavy Rain! And a game like that set in JP sounds pretty awesome.

Jurassic Park is like somebody who didn't understand what made Heavy Rain really enjoyable decided to make a Jurassic Park themed version. That person probably didn't like Jurassic Park very much, either - because all you need to do is throw in the theme music and have a couple of epic scenes to make me happy and they didn't do even that.

Oh god, the voice acting :(

...there aren't many games that I actively HATE - I'll play most things and enjoy them to varying degrees, but Jurassic Park: The Game is just loathsome.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
3 lumps of coal
1 copy of Half-Life 1 (LOL) woulda been useful getting that one like, 10 years ago...
1 Coupon for 50% of Stronghold 3, the long awaited 49.99$ sequel to a game I've never heard of with a metacritic of 49. Sweet.

Edit: I'd be willing to trade coal and coupons for stuff

You never played Stronghold? What a shame.

Tenck

Anyone know what the diggle monsters in dungeon of dredmor look like? Haven't seen one and this game is really bad that going on some more seems pointless ;_;

Bliddo

Anyone know what the diggle monsters in dungeon of dredmor look like? Haven't seen one and this game is really bad that going on some more seems pointless ;_;

You need their eggs, they look like... pear shaped eggs :) You can find one egg per nest, they are common items, just run around and you'll eventually find one.

Tenck

You need their eggs, they look like... pear shaped eggs :) You can find one egg per nest, they are common items, just run around and you'll eventually find one.

Onto the hunt of nests!!

Yeah wont bother with it. Couldn't find the nests and this game really is beyond awful.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
itt: roguelike newcomers trash some of the best releases this year due to a goofy steam event
It has nothing to do with the game being roguelike. It has to do with it being a piece of shit. I have now happened to accidentally beat the game in my quest to get that fucking room to show up, so it has nothing to do with the game being hard or anything. It's simply a piece of shit.

MRORANGE

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
itt: roguelike newcomers trash some of the best releases this year due to a goofy steam event

Eh i had to look up roguelike when the game first came out and it didn't seem my cup of tea. I was close to buying DoD especially at that price point but i held off simply because i thought i was going to get pissed off and dismiss as a piece of shit even though i've heard such good things about it.

Card Boy

Banned
Also Oddboxx has being 75% off ($3.74) since the start of the sale. Keep in mind of that HD updade for the PC version thats coming for free for Strangers Wrath.

MRORANGE

So what are the chances of winning the Epic Holiday Giveaway?

I decided to do a breakdown on chance's actually winning something and quite frankly the odds are really against you.

for a recap on what the prizes are:
  • Grand Prize : Every single game on steam (1 winner)
  • First Prize : top ten games on wishlist (50 winners)
  • Second Prize : top five games on wishlist (100 winners)
  • Third Prize : Valve Complete Pack (1000 winners)

So how many Steam users are doing this competition?

This is hard to tell, but considering the latest achievement makes you get a coal by joing the steam holiday group we can give a indicator of the number of people entering.

before the achievement went online: 68,000

current online count:nearly 600,000:

8mlcR.png

This is still growing at a rate of 5 sign up's per second.

So what if have this "x" amount of coal? what are the chances of winning the main prize?

so I did the table below and your chances are tiny. even if you had 50 pieces of coal and only 100,000 coals were left in circulation on January 2nd you have a esitmated 1 in 2000 chance of winning.

9f7Bj.png

NBtoaster

How long did it take you to do the chievo? I'm at about 3 hours.

I'd say it took 4 hours to get that achievement, I used an easy sandbox map. Don't know if you can do it faster in campaign missions. Though I only played the tutorials before that and made a few mistakes, if you're experienced at Tropico you could probably do it faster.

TheBear

Also Oddboxx has being 75% off ($3.74) since the start of the sale. Keep in mind of that HD updade for the PC version thats coming for free for Strangers Wrath.

Do games ever go below -75% off?

Also, is there any correlation between the difficulty of an achievement and the value of the prize? Or are they just completely random?

Kabouter

How long did it take you to do the chievo? I'm at about 3 hours.

Took me about 2.5 hours, on a sandbox map.

Do games ever go below -75% off?

Also, is there any correlation between the difficulty of an achievement and the value of the prize? Or are they just completely random?

They do, but it's rare.

Probably no correlation by the way.

If you are in a hurry the Winter Achievement guide has a save.

Had lots of fun getting it, people using a save are doing themselves a disservice here.

jgminto

I am never touching Bit Trip Runner again after this. Trying to get the Amnesia achievement made me want to smash my head on the desk. And I still have the Trine cheeve left to go.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Never gonna win stuff

Yeah this one kinda sucks. Even the summer one was better than this. Getting coupons for games that are on sale for even less? Getting coupons for games that nearly everyone owns? Getting coupons for games no one wants? Getting coal which will add up to nothing after the event is over?

Its like WoW back in the day when playing alliance you would get shaman drops -_-

Valve could have done a better job.

Yeah this one kinda sucks. Even the summer one was better than this. Getting coupons for games that are on sale for even less? Getting coupons for games that nearly everyone owns? Getting coupons for games no one wants? Getting coal which will add up to nothing after the event is over?

Its like WoW back in the day when playing alliance you would get shaman drops -_-

Valve could have done a better job.

Yeah, fuck valve and their random chance to get free stuff just for playing games you've already bought. They should be more like all those other retailers out there and just sell you a product then leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom