• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabas

Banned
7 pieces of coal that turned into coupon for Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes ($2.49 today)
-50% of Trapped Dead
and 25% on Activision titles.

Yeah. I'm up for any sort of trade at this point.

camerooni

Neo Member
I am never touching Bit Trip Runner again after this. Trying to get the Amnesia achievement made me want to smash my head on the desk. And I still have the Trine cheeve left to go.

Turn off the OCD, I played so many times getting perfect on 1-6 to get the bonus level, only to constantly land on the second fire in the part where they're grouped together *sigh*.. when I finally got through it.. I dodged the spider for the gold *facepalm*..

Got it now, but I'm going to turn off the OCD as I've convinced myself at this point that I just don't care.

Aselith

7 pieces of coal that turned into coupon for Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes ($2.49 today)
-50% of Trapped Dead
and 25% on Activision titles.

Yeah. I'm up for any sort of trade at this point.

I honestly don't understand what the coupons are even supposed to be for. Like couldn't I just tell my friends to buy it...right now? When the games are on sale for the same or more. What's the point of having a coupon that is the same as the sale that you receive it during? So confusing.

MRORANGE

What´s Neogafs verdict on Payday? Worth the money and time if you already have a couple of games to play?

I posted a short review on what I thought about the game:

had some time with the game, my thoughts on the game:

uCl9Y.jpg

This game is great but rough around the edges. I can't stress enough that this is not a causal shooter which you can sit back and relax,
guns recoil, you get flanked very quickly, you have objectives to carry out. It's quite a hardcore shooter which will challenge you and
your team.

RuL4b.jpg

Each of the 6 missions is varied and look pretty darn good (looks like gta4 without the piss filter), . some of the missions pretty much
come out of any heist movies which gives it a great vibe.
PeNeM.jpg

overall a great game worth the purchase if you got some friends to play with, quite a good start by Overkill studio's, shame it was
launched when other big titles are coming out, this would have made a excellent summer game.

l

pfkas

Got the Swords and Soldiers cheevo. Never played it before online, can see me putting a few more proper efforts in on this. That's what I like about this gift hunt, it gets people playing games they wouldn't necessarily play and I've enjoyed the few cheap ones I've picked up for the hunt. It's also a good idea for multiplayer games as it picks up the playerbase for a while at least.

So what are the chances of winning the Epic Holiday Giveaway?

So what if have this "x" amount of coal? what are the chances of winning the main prize?

*see original post*
A nice read but is joining the group 100% chance of coal? That would lower the circulation a bit but the message stands. With coal you'll complain about not winning anything rather complaining about what you coal got you.

Shame there isn't a way to correlate %age of palyers with achievement to number of players with achievement (that could be used to work out sales which is a no-go) as that would get a more exact circulation. But as I said above, statement still stands.

I am never touching Bit Trip Runner again after this. Trying to get the Amnesia achievement made me want to smash my head on the desk. And I still have the Trine cheeve left to go.
Even though I was experianced with Bit.Trip runner (played WiiWare up to stage 3-2) it still took me a long time to get (30 minutes or so). Sorry, I think the keyboard controls are just dreadful.

I'd let the Trine one slide for your sanity (and/or can do better thing with th time) as getting to stage 3-2 was hell for me (1-11 and the bosses were generally the worst parts) and its not something I would try again for the sake of getting trolled by a coupon. Spiral Knights taught me that one.

Its a shame you couldn't have met the game in better circumstances as its never fun to have to force yourself.

Darryl

Banned
So what are the chances of winning the Epic Holiday Giveaway?

so I did the table below and your chances are tiny. even if you had 50 pieces of coal and only 100,000 coals were left in circulation on January 2nd you have a esitmated 1 in 2000 chance of winning.

9f7Bj.png

that's really not that bad. if you consider the first and second place prizes, as well, than your odds are actually pretty decent. i might just start keeping the coal.

Minsc

Gold Member
So far, I've purchased two games solely for achievements -- Dungeons of Dredmor and Guardians of Graxia. But since I just got my second "50% Off Space Pirates and Zombies" coupon, I think I'm done falling for that gag.

I had never really heard much about that game until recently, but for what it's worth it did come in second in Tom Chick's 2011 GOTY list. Of course, it's on sale for 50% off anyway, so I do agree the coupons like those are duds. :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hate The Binding of Isaac so much, I actually asked Valve to remove it from my account.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've been running dungeons to get 200 crowns, randomly getting a non-snow arena, rinse, repeat for much, much longer than that :(

I was at least playing the lockdown mode, because many people were only playing for the achievement we won always easily, so that I got money out of my failures when not getting a snow area. At least I didnt need to farm crowns.

Kunohara

I hate The Binding of Isaac so much, I actually asked Valve to remove it from my account.

A little to hard for you? That's ok. The game isn't for you then.

If you're talking about trying to get the achievement, well, welcome to roguelikes my friend. Not every achievement for the sale is going to take 5 min to get.

StAidan

I was at least playing the lockdown mode, because many people were only playing for the achievement we won always easily, so that I got money out of my failures when not getting a snow area. At least I didnt need to farm crowns.

Ah, maybe I'll try that... I didn't realize there was a monetary prize for playing, so I just jumped out whenever I saw what the arena was.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A little to hard for you? That's ok. The game isn't for you then.
As I said earlier, I have now beaten the game. On accident, no less. It's not very hard. These first two levels are cake, and those are the only ones you really need to do to try for the achievement.

If you're talking about trying to get the achievement, well, welcome to roguelikes my friend. Not every achievement for the sale is going to take 5 min to get.
It also shouldn't take more than 6 hours. I haven't even had the opportunity to try to get it, because the guy hasn't shown up in the devil room despite me getting there several times.

However, the achievement is only the reason I have suffered through experiencing this garbage game, not the reason I think that it is a garbage game. I hate absolutely every last detail of it. It's like they hired Charles Xavier to get into my mind and figure out how to design a game that is in every way the opposite of what I like.

Tomodachi

Well I think Isaac might be a littleon the offensive side of things. It's pretty... "intense", graphically and thematically. Not sure what Dice meant but that might be it.

It's like Limbo. I'm loving it because it has great puzzles and ideas on how to resolve them without getting frustrating or too hard, but sometimes I wonder if all that graphical violence was really necessary... that's a really big minus for me.

Big-E

I fucking hate this game now too. I tried for 45 minutes to pass 1-11 with no luck. I get caught up at the stairs at the end or is this 1-10, I don't remember. I am giving up on the getting the Trine one for it. Maybe I am just getting older but fuck this game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Binding of Isaac isn't my cup of tea - not in a gameplay sense, but rather the theme and design it wants to pursue.

Grokbu

I fucking hate this game now too. I tried for 45 minutes to pass 1-11 with no luck. I get caught up at the stairs at the end or is this 1-10, I don't remember. I am giving up on the getting the Trine one for it. Maybe I am just getting older but fuck this game.
Perhaps you already know this. But if you have trouble with stairs it is good to know that if you press and hold the jump button a bit before you land, you jump again as you land.

Chesskid1

Banned
saw these on slickdeals

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

LEGOB-ATMAN-XMASS - Grab LEGO Batman for a massive 60% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/lego-batman-the-videogame/ $5.99
(Valid from 1500 GMT 21st December until 1500 GMT 22nd December)

WARIN-SNOWY-NORTH - Grab Lord of the Rings: War in the North for a massive 60% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north/ $12.32
(Valid from 1500 GMT 22nd December until 1500 GMT 23rd December)

GREEN-XMASS-AINTS - Grab Saints Row: The Third for a massive 25% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/saints-row-the-third/ $30
(Valid from 0000 GMT 23rd December until 0000 GMT 26th December)

SQUAR-EWKND-SIXTY - Grab anything from our Square Enix catalogue (except Deus Ex: Human Revolution titles) for a massive 66% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=square+enix&x=0&y=0
(Valid from 0000 GMT 23rd December until 0000 GMT 26th December)

JOLLY-BRUCE-WAYNE - Grab Batman: Arkham City for a massive 60% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/batman-arkham-city/ $20
(Valid from 1600 GMT 26th December until 1600 GMT 27th December)

GREEN-SPACE-MARIN - Grab Space Marine for a massive 40% off! http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/warhammer-40000-space-marine/ $26.99
(Valid from 0000 GMT 26th December until 0000 GMT 29th December)

lord of the rings good? seems like a great price for a newish game.

Mikeside

saw these on slickdeals

lord of the rings good? seems like a great price for a newish game.

I can't redeem that WARIN-SNOWY-NORTH one using my UK GMG account - any US gaffer wanna buy it and give me the steam code? can paypal the cashola across or swap it for a copy of PAYDAY + Cthulhu/Breath of Death pack

haha i had that same exact question in my post. then i read the LOTR page on GMG :p

hopefully someone has actually played it and let us know whether to get it or not.

I played it at Eurogamer and it seemed pretty good - what are the complaints?

Spacebar

I can see the Michael Jordan laughing gif coming, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Does anyone think that Skyrim might go on sale for $30 or less?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I can see the Michael Jordan laughing gif coming, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Does anyone think that Skyrim might go on sale for $30 or less?

In the best case scenario probably 50% off, but 33% seems likelier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom