• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

I've got a problem.

I tried to purchase a game, it said that my credit card was denied, but its a check card and looking at my Chase bank account, Valve has charged me for the game 3 times.

I need to contact Valve and submitting a form and waiting 2 days isn't sufficient. Does anyone have their billing support number so I can call them?

Turfster

So I picked up Arkham City but skipped the DLC. Can anyone attest to the DLC's quality and if it really adds much value. Last question, is Catwoman included in the main game as a playable character? I didn't see a DLC package with her in it, just Nightwing, Robin and some Batman skins.

Catwoman is included in the main game as playable on PC.

TDLink

So I picked up Arkham City but skipped the DLC. Can anyone attest to the DLC's quality and if it really adds much value. Last question, is Catwoman included in the main game as a playable character? I didn't see a DLC package with her in it, just Nightwing, Robin and some Batman skins.

In the PC version Catwoman is included automatically in the main game.

kswiston

So I just won the Sherlock Holmes Collection from completing the holiday achievement in Defense Grid. The Collection apparently contains 6 Holmes titles. Are these games any good?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather have coal for a chance at winning something I want rather than some useless coupons. 50% off a Valve game. Which is great, but I already have every Valve game I'm interested in.

50% off Fallout Collection. Might be nice if it weren't already 50% off, so I could just buy it now if I wanted it for the same price.

Anybody know if you can redeem the Deus Ex dlc on steam ? If yes and if you have a GG account, I can paypal you in advance and let use get the GG points. I'm really not interested in making a GG account

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I just won the Sherlock Holmes Collection from completing the holiday achievement in Defense Grid. The Collection apparently contains 6 Holmes titles. Are these games any good?

Average to above average overall. I liked the setting, the puzzles werent outright bad. You can have better adventures on Steam though.

Sherlock Holmes Nemesis is pretty famous for this, but I've heard they're good as far as adventure games go (I have not played them.) Why look a gift horse in the mouth, though? Go for it, and you tell us.

I'm working through my games to get the Xmas Achievements but for some reason everytime I try to load Atomic Zombie Smasher I get the message "This game cannot be loaded, please try again". It's been like this for the past 2 days.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm working through my games to get the Xmas Achievements but for some reason everytime I try to load Atomic Zombie Smasher I get the message "This game cannot be loaded, please try again". It's been like this for the past 2 days.

Restart Steam? Delete clientregistry.bob?

Dynoro

Try deleting clientregistry.blob - there's probably a recent update that didn't complete correctly and this can restart it and let it finish.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got the achievement for Flight Control HD... then proceeded to get 259 landings on that level. I felt like Billy Bob Thornton.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
See, I read this and I wonder if I'm just thinking wrong for being happy to get Coal and sad when I see shitty coupons.

Nah, I'd rather get coal than a useless coupon, so I guess I'm happy I've only won one of those. It would just have been nice to get at least one game. Seems like many/most people have (even if it's a shitty game, or one they already own).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Debating whether I keep the games myself or gift them to a friend.

Give it to the one who would enjoy playing Sherlock themed (fan?) adventure games (like?) more.

inky

Just bought my first games over Steam!

Half Life Complete! Yay!

I bought my first Steam game during last Christmas sale. I now own over 200 games :O

Also, I don't think I've spent over $250 yet. That's ~4 console games bought at launch price.

Catwoman's included with the main game but she's only playable in the few segments of the main story that use her. It's a shame because she's more fun in combat than Batman.

I bought the nightwing and robin dlc yesterday but I think a system restore I did screwed with how they work in my game because I tried to play it last night and they weren't in my game. They're listed under the DLC tab in steam though, so I'm in the process of redownloading the whole game. They're supposedly really fun in combat but I think they're only playable in the challenge rooms.

I also had a problem getting Nightwing and Robin to show up. Here's how you activate them. Steam actually only gave you the keys to the dlc. You have to download them within GFWL. So in the main menu, go to your GFWL profile (press home), select your profile, choose "redeem code," and then plug in the keys.

Yes, it's a hassle and Steam doesn't do a very good job explaining that, since, unlike Robin and Nightwing, the new challenge maps and the skins for Batman just show up in your game.

As for Robin and Nightwing, they really do play differently than Batman and Catwoman. I'm loving Robin's staff and ability to slap explosives on the back of thugs and exploding them later.

anddo0

Picked up all of the Dues Ex dlc.. $5 was always my sweet spot, so waiting paid off. I just wish I had waited on buying the actual game.. 2012 will be different.

Also picked up Renegade Ops.. $2.99 with the dlc, too hard to pass up.

Tenck

A year from now you will have 100+ games on Steam. Of which you will have tried maybe 40.

http://wastedonsteam.com/usd/id/kristenbell

A little over a year, 13 months, but you're pretty much spot on.

My first game was TF2. Going to hit that 100 mark this months, I just know it.

Edit:
Ranked 10554th with 491.7 hours played
Has played 41 games out of 96. You can also view unplayed and played games
Owns 96 games for a total worth of $594.08 (at the games' current prices)
Eighty-three games Tenck [GAF] currently owns are on sale. View all of them?
Their overall account cost per hour of gametime of the games list below is $1.21

StAidan

Just bought my first games over Steam!

Half Life Complete! Yay!

I bought my first games a few years ago (Portal and Bioshock) $5 each during a sale. I've managed to stay conservative and am only up to ~25 or so games at this point. I have a personal rule to only buy games during the winter sale, and never for more than $10.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Make sure automatic updates didn't get turned off on that game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'd get that Deus Ex HR if I weren't broke, but then again, I've been thinking that EYE looks like HR minus a lot of "blockbuster" game bullshit, which makes it more appealing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd get that Deus Ex HR if I weren't broke, but then again, I've been thinking that EYE looks like HR minus a lot of "blockbuster" game bullshit, which makes it more appealing.

In the ways that Deus Ex has "blockbuster game bullshit," EYE has some of the most extreme examples of former-Soviet block eurojank I've ever encountered.

And I've played and enjoyed the Precursors.

Derrick01

Banned
I also had a problem getting Nightwing and Robin to show up. Here's how you activate them. Steam actually only gave you the keys to the dlc. You have to download them within GFWL. So in the main menu, go to your GFWL profile (press home), select your profile, choose "redeem code," and then plug in the keys.

Yes, it's a hassle and Steam doesn't do a very good job explaining that, since, unlike Robin and Nightwing, the new challenge maps and the skins for Batman just show up in your game.

As for Robin and Nightwing, they really do play differently than Batman and Catwoman. I'm loving Robin's staff and ability to slap explosives on the back of thugs and exploding them later.

Wow that's really screwed up, stupid GFWL. Thanks for letting me know though.

Vamphuntr

EYE is fairly decent but it's quite overwhelming at first. I mean the game has over 20 tutorial videos explaining to you how to play the game. You have a lot of customization options and their impact area real, you're not simply dumping points in random stats or spending money on random technologies. The game also offers alternate methods to do missions which is a good point to me.

You do need to play the game a lot to understand all the mechanics and systems properly as it's pretty much required to enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom