• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herla

Oh my god that Rise of Immortals achievement.
Dick move, Gabe. Dick move. Made me hate videogames for a couple hours...

ksan

Just change your country to the one you are currently in but leave the rest of your address the same. It will work.

Well, if that works and it won't get my account or cc borked that's pretty cool! Thanks a lot!
Was just a bit confused when it outright refused me to use my steam wallet funds.

Peagles

Can somebody please tell me what the game is with the picture of the boy and the man on the right? It's not available in my region.

Lothars

Have the guild wars stuff ever gone on sale? I got the original and first expansion but never anything else and wanted to see what's up.
They have had the entire trilogy on sale a couple times now, they probably will have it on sale again soon.

Skydrift
This is basically Mario Kart + Blur, but in the sky with airplanes. Here are few key points after playing through the Skydrift tutorial and the first stage which includes around 3-4 different course maps:

Pros:
+Very easy to pick up and play.
+Controls feel really good with 360 Controller. I did not try KB/Mouse.
+A lot of different planes/jets to choose from, each with different attributes.
+There are a good variety of power-ups such as missles, cannons, shockwaves (damages and slows enemies), repair kits, and shields. You can get multiple copies of the same power up to make them stronger or convert power-ups into boost which is very useful. You can build up boost by flying close to the ground.
+Stages and environments are nice and varied. Caverns, waterfalls, lava, rock outcroppings, etc.
+Graphics are nice but nothing mind blowing. It could use some AA. Not sure if you can force it as I didn't take the time to try. The game was pretty smooth but people are reporting a capped 30 FPS. I'll check via FRAPS later.
+Guided tutorial for new players that explains all the mechanics in a simple and easy to follow manner.
+Unlockables (e.g. airplane skins, stages, medals, achievements, challenge modes, etc.)

Cons:
-When using the controller, on-screen key prompts still show keyboard controls. At times it shows both the keyboard and button controls but sometimes it only shows the keyboard keys. It should really only be one or the other based on your detected input.

-Online multiplayer community might not last. I tried a quick match in multiplayer and only about 4-5 people entered the lobby. I imagine player numbers will be up during the sale so that means things could be really bad when the sale ends. Single player campaign racing is pretty solid though. This is especially disappointing because this game could be an absolute blast in multiplayer.

-It feels like the AI is a little TOO accurate sometimes. I had no trouble on medium difficulty finishing in 1st to 3rd place, so it's probably good that the AI is challenging.

-Leaderboards do not seem to track single player campaign races. I may have overlooked it as I was in a bit of a hurry at the time.

For the price it is definitely worth picking up and I highly recommend it.

linko9

Divinity II good for a huge Demon's/Dark souls fan?

Also, never played a SH game, should I get homecoming, or play the others first?

Don't know anything about Avadon: any impressions?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Infinite Jest

Neo Member
Ugh. I've been a naughty boy, apparently.

LL

inky

Nope it's still $50 in the US steam store, but I just bought the game from greenmangaming today for $12. It's steamworks so it's all good.

$12 ? Hmmm, I think I got some credit there too. Tempting. Is the game any good solo?

Also, got the best coupon ever!!!
8L0gx.png

Anyone feels like saving 6 bucks on MW3 come January? LOL

coopolon

Skydrift
This is basically Mario Kart + Blur, but in the sky with airplanes. Here are few key points after playing through the Skydrift tutorial and the first stage which includes around 3-4 different course maps:

Well, you took a game I was definitely going to ignore to a game I'm going to try the demo on.

Edit: Nevermind, It hought it was $2.50 not $5. $2.50 is my "small game I've never heard of" price this sale. I'll keep an eye out in the future though!

TDLink

Well, if that works and it won't get my account or cc borked that's pretty cool! Thanks a lot!
Was just a bit confused when it outright refused me to use my steam wallet funds.

Yeah it definitely works no problem. I have my billing address in the US but spend a lot of time in Canada. I still buy things I want on STEAM with that address just by changing my country to Canada whenever I'm there.

anddo0

Gave it a bit of consideration and I think I'm going to skip Avadon.

Not because it's expensive or that it looks bad. But it looks like a modern indie attempt at aping the old bioware / black isle games. And considering that those are all currently on sale for $3 on GOG I might as well start with the originals (I've only completed Planescape) as opposed to a modern indie take. Would probably take me a year to finish any one of them, so no need to go too crazy.

Was about to pull the trigger on Avadon. But when you put it that way. Great point. I still have 45mins to decide on Neverwinter. So I may go with that.

balddemon

Banned
So can I get all those achievements as long as I have teh games for them? I don't have to wait for them to show up on the steam sale page?

ksan

Yeah it definitely works no problem. I have my billing address in the US but spend a lot of time in Canada. I still buy things I want on STEAM with that address just by changing my country to Canada whenever I'm there.

Awesome! Thanks a lot! Gonna make my coming week a lot easier.

masterkajo

Haha, 10 percent off Activision!

And I thought I was unlucky with 33 percent off Valve.

Would I would have thought is still a good idea is if you could add two coupons together to form a new one with more discount. This way I could make use of all my -33% Valve coupons :(

Just went on blur and there are 24 players online. BUY BUY BUY people. The game is fun.

I have a non steam version and my ID is OMitchF. Add me through the in game add function.

My steam ID is GHG.

A lot of people might be playing because of the sale. I think I'll pop in for a few games today. I miss playing this. :/

Oreoleo

What's GAFs opinion on E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? The game itself seems intriguing but the metascore (60) ain't so great.

I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a somewhat less engrossing Deus Ex - STALKER hybrid. The character progression mechanics are sort of obscured but there are definitely some cool ideas there; augmentations such as being able to run and jump faster/higher, hack ANYTHING including enemies and control them to do your bidding, spawn clones of yourself to distract and take down enemies, invisibility, see through walls, make enemies go insane and attack other enemies... there are plenty of ways to approach combat and you can deck your character out with swords, hammers, pistols, snipers, minigun etc etc. It's not the most polished game but it's quite interesting. And, at least personally, it made for an enjoyable co-op experience.

It's certainly one of the most unique FPS experiences to come out in the past few years.

BY2K

Membero Americo
-50% off of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaAAAAaaAAAaAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

A game I already have, is shit boring and not that expensive to begin with.

God damn you, Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom