• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7evn

Be wary getting DEFCON. It is crashing for me and a hell of a lot of other users on the Steam forums. There doesn't seem to be a common answer to getting it to work. I'm talking about the tutorial which shows you how to actually play the thing.

Hmm, I had it crash a couple times but it worked long enough for me to get the achievement.

Arol

Only the tutorial crashes in Defcon as far as I know.

But really, it isn't that hard of a game that a tutorial is needed to understand the game mechanics, at least to be able to nuke Santa.

Davedough

1 lump of coal, 4 crappy coupons and none of the games that come up for the achievements are one of the many I own.

Gabe.... Y U NO GIV ME LUV?!

pfkas

I've tried playing it (DEFCON) without the tutorial. I have no idea what I'm doing. It also falls over outside the tutorial with an assert statement. I'm assuming that's not supposed to be in the release exe. It seems to be a problem with the Steam release and not the recent bundle.

This is the first sale I've gotten to enjoy since my time on Steam. It's my second winter sale as a member, but last time I had almost no money. This is what I'v gotten so far:

- The Witcher 2 (Gift)
- The Last Remnant (Gift)
- Bunch of Heroes ("Gift," haha)
- Counter-Strike: Source (Inventory Gift)
- Swords and Soldiers HD
- Blocks that Matter
- Defense Grid Complete Pack
- Psychonauts
- Costume Quest
- Recettear
- Chantelise
- Fable: The Lost Chapters
- Shogun 2 (before the sales started, but close enough)

Amazon:

- Just Cause 2
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Gift)

And, of course, the amazing Humble Indie Bundle. I also managed to get a code from a friendly GAF member that had Aquaria, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Craon Physics Deluxe.

I'll have gotten my top 3 games in my wishlist this year! Deus Ex: Human Revolution > Dead Rising 2 (Waiting for a daily, but if it's not, I'm definitely getting it at $15 because I REALLY want it) > The Last Remnant.

I fucking love the friends that gave me gifts. I'm really grateful to them. I also gifted some as well. I love the holidays :)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I just bought it today from Amazon while on sale, and I can confirm that it included the DLC (Coldstrike campaign and Reinforcement Pack) and was able to be activated on Steam.

I wonder if that would run on my laptop with Intel HD graphics.

s7evn

Are you sure the DLC is included? Can't find that anywhere.

I activated it and seemed to give me the DLC.

hwoRU.jpg

thefil

Man. I'm at 13 objectives cashed in. So far I've gotten 7 coal and 7 coupons. Jealous of all you people getting like DOTA 2 on your first item :(.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
First completion of the Christmas Sale:

Fortix 2

Fortix is a lot like Qix, or if you've never heard of Qix, Jezzball is maybe the closest comparison. In Qix, and in Fortix, you are given a level which is a 2d field. Your character walks around the edges of the field. Enemies move around the inside of the field. Your character can leave the edges and walk, drawing lines on the field. If an enemy or projectile hits the line, you die. If you close the polygon you're creating (by touching the outside of the field), that area becomes "safe". The bigger the polygons you create, the more risk, but the more points you get. In some games of this variant you need to "save" enough of the level to continue, but Fortix is a little different

In Fortix, this is wrapped in a fantasy theme. You're a... knight or something, and you're trying to recapture the land which has been invaded by an evil dragon. There are dragons flying around each level, as well as the occasional ambling ogre. The main enemy, though, are these defensive towers and balistas which shoot projectiles at you. You need to either destroy or save every tower. To destroy towers, you save catapults scattered around the levels. Some of the projectiles fire linearly so you can dodge them, but others are homing, so you need to quickly close up your polygon. There are about 30 stages broken up into chunks of one, two, or three stages in a row. You get points for the amount of land you've captured, the amount of time you've taken, and if you complete a stage perfectly. Near the end of the game, you unlock an additional 15 stages from Fortix 1.

More advanced stages become tough by introducing insurmountable walls. I'm not sure the game scales very well; the later levels were an exercise in frustration rather than difficulty. I found that the later levels in the game were best accomplished by making dozens and dozens of very small squares so you're never vulnerable for long enough to be hit.

One tip: if you restart a level, it disregards the deaths you had in the level, so if you die near the beginning of a stage or want to go for perfect, just restart.

After 4 hours I perfected the entire game on Easy, there are three other difficulties. I got 14/26 of the achievements. The game's presentation is colourful and lively. I had a great time for the first half and an okay time for the second half of the game. You can see a full sized screenshot I took from one of the later levels HERE

Here's one of Valve's screenshots from near the beginning of the game:
LPKrI.jpg

Fortix 2 is 2.49 You can buy it here, as well as look at videos and screenshots. If you like the Qix formula or are just looking for a lighthearted action puzzle game to kill an hour or two, I highly recommend it. (PC Only, unfortunately)

strem

I feel bad for the guys who play Rise of Immortals regularly. All of us asshats coming in and crashing their game lol

Davedough

I'm trying to catch up on the free achievements. Where do I find the snowballs in Spiral Knights? I got through the main area, crossed the chasm and am now in some town with ice everywhere and these little spinning penguin things.

The Defence Grid developers seem to struggle with the term "achievement" btw. 1½ hours playtime on one map in one of all the game modes = 26 achievements.

Kuwa

I'm trying to catch up on the free achievements. Where do I find the snowballs in Spiral Knights? I got through the main area, crossed the chasm and am now in some town with ice everywhere and these little spinning penguin things.

When you get 200 crowns, click the pinkish crossed swords in the top right corner and select Lockdown. It'll put you into a game of some sort, and hopefully it'll be one of the snow themed ones. Then you pick up a snowball and throw it at someone from the opposing team. You'll see the snowballs I'm sure

Artofwar420

So I played some Payday: The Heist and I loved it. The shooting is incredibly satisfying and the premise behind it is well implemented. If you bought it please play it right now especially if you like FPS games, don't let it sit in your backlog.

Davedough

When you get 200 crowns, click the pinkish crossed swords in the top right corner and select Lockdown. It'll put you into a game of some sort, and hopefully it'll be one of the snow themed ones. Then you pick up a snowball and throw it at someone from the opposing team. You'll see the snowballs I'm sure

Cheers. I've got 186 crowns. Almost done with this pile of dung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom