• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
I had something in my steam inventory (I'm assuming it was the getting started gift), but now I can't see anything. It's not gone forever is it? :(

Luigi87

Awesome, two of the items in my Steam inventory are now not showing up, and if I select them, they're Not-Tradable blanks <.<

spk

Which map do I need to do the KF Xmas achievement on? I've racked up 100 kills on each of the themed maps and still no achievement. The ingame achievement tracker isnt keeping count and I cant access the list through steam

this is my new enemy:

the throbber

throbber.gif

yup.

But it's not as if I could buy anything, so I'll wait for the summer or next year. :\

Jesus. I don't recall anything nearly this bad last year or during the summer sale.

These error messages and empty inventories, etc. are fucking terrible.

What a shitty way to start their sale when you can't access anything.

At best it will be a daily sale for 15-25% off. It will be a tease sale like Activision does with the newest COD every year. Don't buy it now at full price, but don't get your hopes up for 50% off or anything crazy.

I have a bet ongoing with JaseC. I bet him a $5 game that Skyrim would be 30% off or more by the end of the Steam holiday sale.

I'm still confident in my prediction.

Jesus. I don't recall anything nearly this bad last year or during the summer sale.

These error messages and empty inventories, etc. are fucking terrible.

What a shitty way to start their sale when you can't access anything.

You have 24 hours. It's been 3. Calm down.

It has been $25 in an Origin sale already.
Oh man, really? Looks like you might be able to keep your gun and badge SgtOogieBoogie.

bengraven

over only $110? wow

Are you short on money or something or does your wife just not like gaming?

May not sound like much to single people or comfortable people, but we were really hurting at the time. It was a month after our wedding and we had, at the time, a 2 year old and quite a few bills. I ended up getting 75 bucks for Xmas that she said was fine to blow on whatever, despite my pleas to put it towards bills. So I randomly bought things on Steam. I knew I went over 75 at one point, but the little purchases that I thought I would be "safe" with ($1 here, 2.50 there) added up.

It...was not fun.

To this day, seeing "Steam" appear on our bank statement is a bad thing.

RedSwirl

Nobody here thinks the oldschool id games like DOOM and Quake are gonna get daily deals do they? I'm finally making the decision to buy DOOM and Quake for the first time.

Between the DOOM and Quake franchises which ones are worth getting? Any mods I need to know about? What about Unreal?

Amnesia was what I was waiting for during the Thanksgiving sale. Glad to see it here now.

Kind of wish I had more of the games for Achievements... I only have a handful of them- not even enough to get 7 lumps of coal.

Valve should really include a free HDD in the Grand Prize.

Sonic Generations 50% off would make this sale for me.

Was waiting for this during Thanksgiving too. This and $10 Skyrim.

Chavelo

Tell the truth, GAF. You might be pissed off that steam is not working, but 80% of ya are supposed to be doing work.

/goes back to work frustrated due to steam not working

Fou-Lu

So, what is everyone else restricting themselves to this year? I'm trying to stay below $200 not counting gifts for other people.

graywolf323

May not sound like much to single people or comfortable people, but we were really hurting at the time. It was a month after our wedding and we had, at the time, a 2 year old and quite a few bills. I ended up getting 75 bucks for Xmas that she said was fine to blow on whatever, despite my pleas to put it towards bills. So I randomly bought things on Steam. I knew I went over 75 at one point, but the little purchases that I thought I would be "safe" with ($1 here, 2.50 there) added up.

It...was not fun.

sounds like you need an offshore account for Steam purchases >_>

503 and other server overload errors :(

Will probably snag Portal 2 to gift to a friend whenever it's up though. Certainly in my top 3, if not GOTY this year.

Nobody here thinks the oldschool id games like DOOM and Quake are gonna get daily deals do they? I'm finally making the decision to buy DOOM and Quake for the first time.

Between the DOOM and Quake franchises which ones are worth getting? Any mods I need to know about? What about Unreal?

Ultimate DooM, DooM 2, DooM 3 and expansion, Quake 1, Quake 1 expansions and Quake 2, in my opinion.

Also Heretic, HeXen and HeXen 2. :0

LuffyZoro

I think Quake was on sale in the Summer Sale.

kswiston

You're crazy! It won't go that low during THIS sale!

I'll be needing your gun and badge on my desk when you get back to the station.

Arkham City was that price on Origin a month ago I believe. There's a decent chance we see it for 50% off in this sale.

The Witcher 2 is now $40 regular price, so $12.50 doesn't make sense. That would be 69% off. Steam likes their 66% and 75% off price-points. Also, I think that with GoG selling the game at 40% off on their own site, the best we can hope for on Steam is 50% off

This is why couples need personal accounts in addition to their joint accounts. Get your paycheck deposited into your joint, and have a mutually agreed upon percent or dollar amount that you are allowed to move over into your personal account for your own use. When times are good, this could be upwards of 15-20% of your net. When times are tough, you could drop it to 5%, or even have a set dollar amount ($10/20/etc) per week. That way you can choose to spend your money how you like without putting your joint finances at risk.

Me and my wife have a joint account, personal accounts, and a few savings accounts, with money being distributed into each according to our current life situation.

Chavelo

Quake and Unreal for me, man. And screw it, just get all of them... there will prolly be a daily sale where you can get the franchise's pack for the cheap. XD

FreeMufasa

Nothing I want tbh. I bought mostly everything I wanted in last years sales and I have the ones I want from 2011.

Maybe Sonic Generations and The Last Remnant. I hear the PC version of both games' meant to be great.

Hows the PC port of Fable 1? Only one I'm tempted by since for some reason I never got around to beating the first one when I had it on Xbox even though I got pretty far.

I would also like to know this, since what it's going for right now just means that I can't buy lunch tomorrow and it's not a big deal.

I'd hold off, as they may be featured in a "Franchise Sale" of ~75% off.

Myself, I wish Hexen was considered a big enough "franchise" for a sale, as they're the only id games left that I want :S.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You have 24 hours. It's been 3. Calm down.

Sure, but still... given the growth in concurrent users Steam has seen over the last few months, shouldn't they have expected pretty heavy traffic during the year's largest sale, and upgraded their servers accordingly?

Three hours into the sale, and I get 503 errors 9/10 times I click on something. And even when I do get through the page usually isn't completely loaded, or the information displayed is glitched (0% sale, etc). Plus, my inventory is still completely broken.

Blizzard

Banned
Forget inventories, the last few times I've tried checking the store it seems like the entire site is down. I don't think I've ever seen it this bad even in past holiday sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom