• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chozo

Convinced me to horde my coal till the very end!

A rational part of me says to hoard my coal, but on the other hand some people have gotten so hardcore with the trading/hoarding/multiple account coal farming that I know my chances of winning anything are effectively nonexistent.

But yeah, you might have better luck at the end of the sale bargaining off your coal to the desperate. Personally I'm pretty much going to buy anything I want that's reasonably cheap (yay new job! Yay Christmas money!), and I doubt I'll ever have enough coal to bargain for the more expensive stuff I'd actually want.

Soho

Neo Member
I'm still available for help with Bulletstorm gifting at US prices if you Paypal first. I know there's been a lot of people needing help already, so just wanted to post that here. Same for other games I suppose, but that's been the big one this morning.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xelios/

Edit: Also I'm getting temporary blocks on purchases from so many, so you will have to be patient for it to go away again. Sorry. (usually 10-20 minutes after a big batch of gifting)

Thanks to this great guy for being a classy fellow and helping me out!!!

Dambrosi

Banned
I'm still available for help with Bulletstorm, Alice and other games gifting at US prices if you Paypal first. Tons of people been needing help and wilflare can't do this particular game everyone is needing gifted so I'm helping out.

Must add me, PM me on Steam and be willing to wait up to 20 minutes and be patient because of all the people and Steam's occasional temporary hold crap. Pming me on GAF will do you no good.

Friend request has been sent, good sir.

I'm also interested in Rock Of Ages' & Anomaly's US prices as well.

Never really had any interest in Rock of Ages but I've found that generally when steam-gaf is screaming the praises of an indy game, it's at least worth trying. Bought.

Also, price is right on Bulletstorm...and I've always wanted to pick up worms reloaded.

Bastion is must-own, everyone should try Beat Hazard though it's not for everyone, King's Bounty is *awesome*, Anomaly is great though I recommend killing the voice acting immediately...wow. Easily the best day so far.

edit: Any of the Worms Reloaded dlc worth it? I'll probably have to pass either way as this is getting to be a pricey day...just curious.

Turfster

Got fed up with the trading thread, decided to craft coal, got disciples II gold.
We're making progress from a 50% off oddboxx coupon, people!

Binabik15

Stop being on Steam you guys, the servers are busy and I can't install my new stuff *shakes fist*

Spent the whole day downloading Saints Row 3 from the THQ site, during install it complained about damaged files and I have to re-download. Great, now that I could activatie it I want to do it on Steam for easier backup, but those lazy servers can't handle a few million people!

Dizzy-4U

I'm still available for help with Bulletstorm, Alice and other games gifting at US prices if you Paypal first. Tons of people been needing help and wilflare can't do this particular game everyone is needing gifted so I'm helping out.

Must add me, PM me on Steam and be willing to wait up to 20 minutes and be patient because of all the people and Steam's occasional temporary hold crap. Pming me on GAF will do you no good.

I can't add you. Limit cap?

edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb.

Likewise, looking for opinions on the following games:

Alice Madness returns
Sonic Generations
Nuclear Dawn
Worms Reloaded
Beat Hazard

Also, if I'm only gonna buy ONE Red Faction Game,which should it be?

Sober

Yeah, fun little throwback game made even cooler with the music aspects. The Christmas channels opened my mind to more Christmas songs than I thought were possible.
Beat Hazard Complete (or at least with the Ultra DLC) is a definite must. On it's own it's barely just a game and more a visualizer with a game tacked on. You might want to turn down the visual effects because sometimes they get to be too much (I can go to 150% and after that its just a blur of colours).

Also, Far Cry 2 is an acquired taste but is a pretty damn good game if you take a liking to it.

Tenck

Alice Madness returns
Sonic Generations
Nuclear Dawn
Worms Reloaded
Beat Hazard

Alice is a wonderful game. In every chapter it's changing things up in a nice manner. It's a really unappreciated game and it doesn't deserve to be.

Started Rock of Ages and I'm having issues with getting it to work with a controller. It says controller enabled, but do I need to do something special to get it to use the controller?

I am emulating a 360 controller with a ps3 through MotioninJoy. It clearly sees the controller, but it just doesn't let me actually use it in the game. Very weird.

Alice Madness returns
Sonic Generations
Nuclear Dawn
Worms Reloaded
Beat Hazard

Despite the age, the first game will always be the one that carried the core idea. Guerilla is more of this day and age though. But that game is open world and fairly repetitive with it. The destruction side-missions is where the real fun is.

Beat Hazard

I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved this game, but it is definitely not for everyone. The flashing lights on the screen can get pretty crazy, and your taste in music will directly impact your enjoyment of the game. Also, Ultra is pretty much must-buy if you're going to take the leap. Definitely put out the extra 75 cents for Complete. I would try the demo, though.

mrgone

Alice Madness returns
Sonic Generations
Nuclear Dawn
Worms Reloaded
Beat Hazard

If you're willing to pass up the chance of getting the coal achievement Nuclear Dawn will be part of an upcoming IndieRoyale bundle

Beat Hazard Complete (or at least with the Ultra DLC) is a definite must. On it's own it's barely just a game and more a visualizer with a game tacked on. You might want to turn down the visual effects because sometimes they get to be too much (I can go to 150% and after that its just a blur of colours).

Also, Far Cry 2 is an acquired taste but is a pretty damn good game if you take a liking to it.

Ah, yeah its Ultra I've had (itunes support sold me). Didn't realise the base game was a bit limiting.

Sober

I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved this game, but it is definitely not for everyone. The flashing lights on the screen can get pretty crazy, and your taste in music will directly impact your enjoyment of the game. Also, Ultra is pretty much must-buy if you're going to take the leap. Definitely put out the extra 75 cents for Complete. I would try the demo, though.
Sadly the demo is non-Ultra so it'll be kinda shitty without the DLC editions (even though you can only play a few songs).

The achievement for the gift pile is actually probably easier if you don't mind the Christmas music (the ones they play at work are so shitty these are so much better) and if you have played even a few hours to collect some perks like extra lives or you know the enemy types they toss at you/abuse powerups.

Alice Madness returns
Sonic Generations
Nuclear Dawn
Worms Reloaded
Beat Hazard

Alice is my GOTY. The artistry cannot be touched by any other game this year, the level design is a throwback and done pretty darn well. All of it is actually a bit of a throwback, but 3 of the levels in the game are among the most memorable I've ever experienced. Just do it.

On a side note, been doing pretty well in the Steam department. I've won Universe Sandbox, The Witcher (crafted) and The Oddbox with the hanfdul of coupons. Better yet, I've played 5 games in my backlog I hadn't touched and enjoyed all of them (with the exception of Demolition Inc. Ugh.)

Was this Game of Thrones game discussed, is it any good?

Wow, glad I checked Amazon, for 9.99 I'd check it out.

Edit: Won't be checking that out, gotta trust GAF!

jediyoshi

Amazon is really killing it with these digital sales. Some games even better than Steam arguably.
They're literally looking at Steam's prices and deliberately outpricing them. Doesn't give Valve much room after the fact, they're not going to counter act it by changing prices a few hours after they go out :p

atomsk

Party Pooper
Did the Beat Hazard objective (legit, didn't cheese it) and won Alien Breed 3 (still haven't played much of AB2 from the summer ticket thing)

So of 20 objectives, that's 5 games.

I got Bastion, I wanted to buy Alice too, but I have very little money left.... :(

Also I can't believe I'm starting to play those shitty F2P games to get more gift...

StuBurns

Banned
Is there a time limit on these gifts? I don't know if I want The Witcher 1, but I want to hold out till this thing is all over for game trading.

MooMoo

Yay first day of purchases :3
Bulletstorm
Beat Hazard Ultra
Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Going to hold off on buying Bastion since I feel like it'll be cheaper in the future.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well was considering Batman from yesterday and Bullestorm but since I already played through them on consoles, guess i'll look into Bastion and Anomaly.

Yay first day of purchases :3
Bulletstorm
Beat Hazard Ultra
Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Going to hold off on buying Bastion since I feel like it'll be cheaper in the future.

Cheapest we'll probably ever see Bastion on steam at least is $3.75 and thats a $1 or so difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom