• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gabe, and with that you gave me the last daily I was hoping to see. Now I hope nothing else will go up I really want. My wallet needs its rest.

LayLa

buy all 4 Assassin's Creed games individually for £38.91
or
buy the Assassin's Creed Pack including all 4 games for £39.99!

hmm choices choices ....

Askani

buy all 4 Assassin's Creed games individually for £38.91
or
buy the Assassin's Creed Pack including all 4 games for £39.99!

hmm choices choices ....

You should see our super amazing pack deal. We can save an entire $1.07 if we buy the pack instead of each one individually!!! I could almost buy a soda for that!

I was waiting for Space Pirates and Zombies to go on a daily deal so I will pick that up.

Playing Dungeon Defenders multiplayer isn't necessary to enjoy the game. I've put in over 60 hours playing solo as I listen to podcasts. It's a lot easier to progress through the levels solo than to go through as in group most of the time.

Lumine

I thought Section 8: Prejudice was surprisingly good, especially for its price. Excellent Halo/Tribes like multiplayer, lots of modes including co-op and a decent singleplayer campaign, different loadouts, awesome spawn system, very polished, and more. It probably won't end up becoming your new main choice among multiplayer shooters but it should be a unique enough diversion and hold you over until the new Tribes game comes along. It does nothing groundbreaking, but for its price it does a lot of things well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
thanks guys,missed that am on my iphone atm... anyone care to help me out? <3

Tyrael

Stange, I have $9.85 USD in my Steam Wallet but when I try to purchase Dead Space 2 the system tells me that I still need an extra $ 5.14 USD to cover the transaction.

wtf

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Anniversary if you want 3rd person or Guardian of Light if you prefer top-down and have a good co-op buddy.

Buy both. GOTL is a completely different, but excellent title. While Anniversary seems to be the go to choice(I've played both Legends and Underworld) from most people who've played all three CD ones.

Suairyu

Banned
So, if I had to decide for one Tomb Raider, which one would GAF recommend?
What do you want out of the game?

Gameplay

Arcade-like speedruns - Legend
Isometric mayhem - Guardian Of Light
Lengthy adventure with lots of environment puzzles - Anniversary
Short adventure with even more puzzly environment puzzles - Underworld

Feel

Anniversary really nails the classic Tomb Raider feel as it was in the old games - isolation, fear and occassional wonder.

Legend really nails the classic Tomb Raider feel as she was presented in the mainstream public consciousness - sassy, female Indiana Jonesy against fantastical backdrops.

Guardian Of Light takes the core idea of Tomb Raider and does something completely different but immensely enjoyable with it.

Underworld is an incredibly modern take of the classic style of gameplay. This could have been one of greatest games of the generation but it was rushed and under-budgeted. It feels like a wonderful coda to Lara as a character before her upcoming rebirth

Story

Chronilogically, the plot goes Anniversary -> Legend -> Underworld. If you can play them in this order (with Legend and Anniversary being interchangeable), there is a fairly satisfying pay-off.

Guard Of Light is its own thing and also good for that reason.

Conclusion
They're all fantastic but also really quite different. For the new-comer to the modern series, I would recommend either Guardian Of Light or (depending on if you prefer puzzles or fast arcade gameplay) Anniversary/Legend.

To be honest, the best of the bunch is actually Underworld, but story-wise it requires the investment of Legend/Anniversary and also mechanically it helps if you've played both of them already.

Basically, I've just been as helpful to you as a wet sock. Enjoy!
(but seriously, my gameplay section should help you decide)

Just to throw my personal spin on it - Legend was my first ever 1000/1000 on 360. I replayed that game endlessly. Loved it. The other entries are superior mechanically, but not nearly as 'fun' or replayable. They are much more oppressive yet rewarding experiences that can leave you feeling mentally and emotionally drained. Except for Guardian Of Light, of course, which is just multiplayer mayhem awesomeness.

I thought Section 8: Prejudice was surprisingly good, especially for its price. Excellent Halo/Tribes like multiplayer, lots of modes including co-op and a decent singleplayer campaign, different loadouts, awesome spawn system, very polished, and more. It probably won't end up becoming your new main choice among multiplayer shooters but it should be a unique enough diversion and hold you over until the new Tribes game comes along. It does nothing groundbreaking, but for its price it does a lot of things well.

I agree with this man, go buy this game for 3 bucks while you can! :D

cicero

Anyone with any recommendations for the Hearts of Iron 3 Collection? Did they ever patch/fix the multitude of bugs that the game had initially? Is the entire collection worthwhile or just the base game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom