• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

No coals or coupons for me today. The only game I have on that list is Super Meat Boy and no way I'm trying that. It took me forever to beat a single level to get the other achievement so I guess I'm simply not that good at the game :(

1-D_FTW

I count five games I have achievements for, that either aren't going to be in, or they're all happening tomorrow.

I didn't do that many, so it's either going to be my most active day, or some of those "unconfirmed" were unrelated to the sale. Find it hard to believe all 5 will get featured.

Pirabear

Banned
Today is your lucky day.

I disliked Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim for similar reasons. It's like they had no souls if there is such a thing for videogames. Fortunately New Vegas isn't developed by Bethesda, but by Obsidian which are composed of many former members of those who created the original two Fallouts and Planescape Torment to name a few games. These guys know their RPG's and their games always have compelling stories and writing, not to mention solid RPG components.

In short: Buy it and the DLC if you can. The writing and the characters are some of the strongest parts of New Vegas, and you can influence the world in ways which simply aren't possible in Bethesda's games. There is much more freedom to carve your path and multiple play-throughs are encouraged because it's impossible to see and do everything on one play-through.

If you played Fallout 3 the combat is pretty similar but the addition the DT system and ironsight aiming put's it over the top, along with the different ammo types. It's much more of a RPG than any of Bethesda's games

That's what I like to hear. Thank you and downloading as I type this.

inky

I count five games I have achievements for, that either aren't going to be in, or they're all happening tomorrow.

I didn't do that many, so it's either going to be my most active day, or some of those "unconfirmed" were unrelated to the sale. Find it hard to believe all 5 will get featured.

If Champions Online is one of those I am going to kill a puppy. Took me like 2 hours and it's a pretty terrible game.

Sober

Today is your lucky day.

I disliked Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim for similar reasons. It's like they had no souls if there is such a thing for videogames. Fortunately New Vegas isn't developed by Bethesda, but by Obsidian which are composed of many former members of those who created the original two Fallouts and Planescape Torment to name a few games. These guys know their RPG's and their games always have compelling stories and writing, not to mention solid RPG components.

The writing and the characters are some of the strongest parts of New Vegas, and you can influence the world in ways which simply aren't possible in Bethesda's games. There is much more freedom to carve your path and multiple play-throughs are encouraged because it's impossible to see and do everything on one play-through.

If you played Fallout 3 the combat is pretty similar but the addition the DT system and ironsight aiming put's it over the top, along with the different ammo types.

In short: Buy it and the DLC if you can. It's more of a RPG than any of Bethesda's games.
Don't forget fellow GAFer water_wendi pretty much finished the game full pacifist mode (DLC not including) if you want proof its RPG mechanics stand up well against the FPS-ness of the game.

Also, even the worse story DLC in FNV is miles ahead of most DLC this gen at the price of 2.50$, so I don't know what is the point of picking and choosing.

Shadybiz

Okay, you just sold me.

One question: How is the ammo situation in NV? I played Fallout 3, and it seemed like I was always starved for ammo. Put me off the game entirely. Not sure if everyone had this problem. Is it fairly available? Getting bludgeoned to death for lack of skill, I can deal with. Getting bludgeoned to death because I had 1 round left is something else entirely.

vid

Bought Puzzle Agent 2, then talked myself out of getting New Vegas since it's not a GOTY type collection yet, and I have yet to finish Fallout 3.

Also... I've got a copy of The First Templar - Steam Edition that I'm hoping to trade for a copy of The Ship, if anyone has one of the extras floating around.

Dambrosi

Banned
Deus Ex on sale?

I asked for this.

Meh, the Amazon price was better after all, at least on my side of the pond. Ended up saving four whole quid, even with the £1,50 foreign transaction charge from my "friendly" bank.

I'll bite on the Missing Link DLC, though. Maybe.

As for Super Meat Boy, well, that's purely Team Meat's fault in the same way as the PSN outage was purely Sony's fault. They failed to provide the proper security, so they are liable. Their mistake, their responsibility.

Of course, it still took someone to hack into the system, but, as in the Sony case, it seems that the door was left wide open for anyone to walk right in, so...

I cannot imagine the person's email inbox when he wins every game on steam...

imagine this...
You've received a gift copy of the game

the spam filter will definitely kick in
I never got e-mails for winning games during the contest, so I imagine games given to you by valve are immune to e-mail spam.

Now, I'd feel sorry for my friends who would have a wall of text on their community page that says "JayShadow is now the owner of"

Leckan

Okay, you just sold me.

One question: How is the ammo situation in NV? I played Fallout 3, and it seemed like I was always starved for ammo. Put me off the game entirely. Not sure if everyone had this problem. Is it fairly available? Getting bludgeoned to death for lack of skill, I can deal with. Getting bludgeoned to death because I had 1 round left is something else entirely.

Really? It was awhile ago that I played F3 but at least mid-to-end game ammo was always plentiful for me. Early on you might struggle a bit but that's kinda the point too. Scavenging is obviously of the utmost importance early in the game particularly but otherwise I don't know. Did you use V.A.T.S? Sneaking past enemies also helps if possible. It's not like you have to kill anything that moves just because. It's not an FPS after all.

You can craft your own ammo too.

Sober

Okay, you just sold me.

You can craft your own ammo now along with being able to disassemble ammo into its constituent parts (shell, powder, primer, etc.); all the component parts are found from crafting and for some they are shared amongst ammo types (e.g. 10mm and .45 use the same primer, same with most rifle types), also a %age the shells can possibly be recollected as you use your weapons. For energy weapons it's fairly similar that you keep some of the drained batteries and you can recharge them again.

Also stimpacks are way more expensive than in FO3, as a sidenote.

Shadybiz

Early on you might struggle a bit but that's kinda the point too. Scavenging is obviously of the utmost importance early in the game particularly but otherwise I don't know. Did you use V.A.T.S? Sneaking past enemies also helps if possible. It's not like you have to kill anything that moves just because. It's not an FPS after all.

It was early in the game that I was experiencing this, yeah. I probably just got frustrated with it too quickly.

I did use VATS...I was never sure if that was the right thing to do or not. I tried to sneak, as well (I typically play a rogue-ish character in these games), but it seemed like I was always spotted pretty easily. Again, though, it was early in the game, so my skill wouldn't have been that high.

Eh, I'll pick it up. For $5, I suppose it's certainly worth a try!

Edit: Sober, that's good to know; crafting would definitely lessen the effects of any scarcity issues.

1-D_FTW

If Champions Online is one of those I am going to kill a puppy. Took me like 2 hours and it's a pretty terrible game.

Not one of the ones I did. So prepare yourself. Unless Valve is going to have a ton of achievements the final day.

How pissed are people going to be if Poker Night at the Inventory isn't included? Glad it only took me 5 minutes on that.

I never got e-mails for winning games during the contest, so I imagine games given to you by valve are immune to e-mail spam.

Now, I'd feel sorry for my friends who would have a wall of text on their community page that says "JayShadow is now the owner of"

That's different. For the wishlist, I got an e-mail for every single game. Although obviously the grand prize winner isn't having that happen.

Sober

EDGE doesn't give a shit about the +4hr daily timer, so I guess I won't get it unless it's true the TT pack comes with extra copies of RUSH and Toki Tori (which I have).

Tobe

crafted 7 pieces of coal after i clicked i had such regret, i refreshed my inventory to see a nice 50 fucking percent discount on shadowgrounds :(

Vamphuntr

Tomorrow is the last day for the objectives/sales?

Don't they have to days left anyway? The big draw is on the 2nd so that means 2 days of sales left (Dec 31 and Jan 1)?

Talyn

Looking for someone in the UK to gift the GTA Complete Pack in exchange for £4.99 gifted via PayPal. PM me if you can help.

1-D_FTW

If I were to get one of the FNV DLC which would you recommend? I mean the 2.49 ones.

When it was on sale last time, only DLC I bought was Old World Blues. From the consensus, it seemed like the best of the lot. Also had the highest metra-critic score.

1-D_FTW

Tomorrow is the last day for the objectives/sales?

Don't they have to days left anyway? The big draw is on the 2nd so that means 2 days of sales left (Dec 31 and Jan 1)?

Is that right, though? Pack deals are good through Jan. 1st.

The coupons begin on the 2nd (which I would again assume means the sale ends on the 1st.)

On the achievement page, it only lists December 31st as a future date (although I wasn't paying attention. Maybe it always restricted itself to the next day.)

It seems like everything points to things ending on the 1st. I'm bracing for tomorrow to be the final day of things.

Vamphuntr

Is that right, though? Pack deals are good through Jan. 1st.

The coupons begin on the 2nd (which I would again assume means the sale ends on the 1st.)

On the achievement page, it only lists December 31st as a future date (although I wasn't paying attention. Maybe it always restricted itself to the next day.)

It seems like everything points to things ending on the 1st. I'm bracing for tomorrow to be the final day of things.

Well it wouldn't make any sense to have one for January 1st anyway as it's going to be the last day of the whole thing. You won't be able to go back on january 2 to get more coals as the contest will be closed. The other dates show up to remind you of past objectives you missed, no?

Askani

I expect the sunday will be the last day of sales with recaps I hope.

I hope so too because I can't take anymore. There was already way more stuff in my library than I could ever play. Now there's more. Also, I was almost out of funds and now I just got paid. NO MORE GAMES!

Card Boy

Banned
Guys get The Chronics of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

It actually includes TWO games in one, it includes a Remastered version of Escape from Butcher Bay aswell. Its worth buying it for that game alone.

You really get a Prison Break season 1 feeling from Butcher Bay. Vin Diesel himself voices Riddick in both games, the games are top quality stuff. It includes backtracking to previous areas (which i love), 'quests' from NPCs, and some of the best first person stealth out there. Also features Ron Perlman and Xzibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom