• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that right, though? Pack deals are good through Jan. 1st.

The coupons begin on the 2nd (which I would again assume means the sale ends on the 1st.)

On the achievement page, it only lists December 31st as a future date (although I wasn't paying attention. Maybe it always restricted itself to the next day.)

It seems like everything points to things ending on the 1st. I'm bracing for tomorrow to be the final day of things.

Yeah, but if they end on the first, the sales lapse at 4pm on the 2nd if they follow the pattern.

"Entries are open from 10:00 am Pacific Standard Time on December 19, 2011, to 10:00 am Pacific Standard Time on January 2, 2012 (the “Holiday Sale Period”)."

Sunday is the last day.

moop1167

Anyone need a 50% off LA Noire? I asked earlier if it was less during the daily (I think it was) so I dunno if anyone will take it off my hands.

Im_Special

I'm thinking of getting Magic the Gathering, but I've never played magic before, I would be a total noob, is there a good tutorial in the game that will teach me the basics? Also would this be worth it for someone who isn't competitive online and hates win/loss records, I'd probably only play vs the computer, also I hate these kind of games because every year the next version "GOTY" or "2013" will be the one to buy making this one useless, I might not even get around to giving the game a solid chance for a long time, version 2013 might be out by then.

Oh I also hear this is a very buggy game, what kind of bugs can I expect, are they game breaking ones?

Tymerend

So, the coupons state you can start using them on January 2nd. Is that 10AM Eastern on January 2nd? If so, that just means when the sale is over.

Im_Special

People see this?

t1vuV.jpg

I thought it was kinda funny, Team Meat should've taken things a little more seriously when someone offered to help, instead of acting all arrogant.

So, the coupons state you can start using them on January 2nd. Is that 10AM Eastern on January 2nd? If so, that just means when the sale is over.

Yes. And I think they all expire on March 2nd. The gold coupons can be used now and I'm not sure when or if they expire.

People see this?

t1vuV.jpg

I thought it was kinda funny, Team Meat should've taken things a little more seriously when someone offered to help, instead of acting all arrogant.

I don't even see them responding on twittter. The game may be great but Team Meat can sometimes be so incredibly full of themselves.

Askani

I'm thinking of getting Magic the Gathering, but I've never played magic before, I would be a total noob, is there a good tutorial in the game that will teach me the basics?

Not really. They do teach you some stuff but the advanced stuff you'll only learn by seeing it used on you or trying it in a match.

Also would this be worth it for someone who isn't competitive online and hates win/loss records, I'd probably only play vs the computer, also I hate these kind of games because every year the next version "GOTY" or "2013" will be the one to buy making this one useless, I might not even get around to giving the game a solid chance for a long time, version 2013 might be out by then.

Just playing the PC will drive you INSANE. It's common to say "lol the computer cheats!". In this case it really does. It will always have the exact cards it needs to kill your creatures or stop you. It will always have the cards it needs for combos. It also has access to cards that you don't. Playing only the PC will make you hate the game for all time. I've dubbed it "the Perfect Card, the Perfect Time, Everytime." I use that with my friends when I talk to them about it and they know exactly what I mean.

Oh I also hear this is a very buggy game, what kind of bugs can I expect, are they game breaking ones?

Not really that I've seen. I've had it crash once or twice but other than that, not really for single player. It does have alot of problems with the online portion. Lag or not letting you stop the timer to do something and thereby skipping your action and fucking your game, or making you quit and start the game again because the lobby only shows "No available games" until you do, etc. Yeah. It does have some problems.

That being said I've put over 100 hours into it. It's nice to have it on my PC just to start up and play a match when I have 20 minutes or so to kill.

What's the background on this?

I saw a picture just a moment ago on GAF with a nice recap, but can't find it. But basically someone pointed out a security flaw and they were like: No Worries!

Than this happened and now there are problems with the database so nobody can get the achievement. You can see it at their twitter, at the "Trust me, it's fine" part.

https://twitter.com/supermeatboy

EDIT: Yeee, there is the pic. Read post below.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm thinking of getting Magic the Gathering, but I've never played magic before, I would be a total noob, is there a good tutorial in the game that will teach me the basics? Also would this be worth it for someone who isn't competitive online and hates win/loss records, I'd probably only play vs the computer, also I hate these kind of games because every year the next version "GOTY" or "2013" will be the one to buy making this one useless, I might not even get around to giving the game a solid chance for a long time, version 2013 might be out by then.

Never had played Magic, and I got the game over the summer. I learned well enough from the tutorial and just playing. You just have to play matches and not worry about losing at 1st. You just want more matches and experience under your belt.

HKnightz

Posted for the new page:
how are GTA:SA and GTAIV:episodes on PC? Have SA on the ps2 but never really got around to finishing it due to time. Thanks!

Im_Special

Never had played Magic, and I got the game over the summer. I learned well enough from the tutorial and just playing. You just have to play matches and not worry about losing at 1st. You just want more matches and experience under your belt.

The win/loss record, can this be reset? I'd probably just eat losses to learn, but once I get better and play for real I'd like to start fresh and not worry about my old 4win / 46 loss record.

I'm OCD about this kind of stuff unfortunately which can put me off to playing some games like this, and also stops me from ever picking a game back up if I took a long break from it, because I know I'd be rusty as hell.

I wish all Civs were on sale, not just Civ V. I want to get Civ IV and probably will grab it at the publisher discount on the last day if it doesn't go on sale (which I'm guessing it won't).

It would be awesome if there was a Sid Meier bundle.

Oh, thanks for reminding me. Totally forgot about that page.

Fuck me... Talk about overcharging in Euro.

Bethesda Pack

EUR € 34.99
USD $ 34.99 » EUR € 27.04 (-22.72%)
GBP £ 18.99 » EUR € 22.73 (-35.04%)

Bethesda Holiday Collection

EUR € 74.99
USD $ 74.99 » EUR € 57.96 (-22.71%)
GBP £ 39.99 » EUR € 47.88 (-36.15%)
The most mind blowing part is that the Bethesda Holiday Collection has less stuff than the pack that ran during Quakecon for essentially the same price.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just playing the PC will drive you INSANE. It's common to say "lol the computer cheats!". In this case it really does. It will always have the exact cards it needs to kill your creatures or stop you. It will always have the cards it needs for combos. It also has access to cards that you don't. Playing only the PC will make you hate the game for all time. I've dubbed it "the Perfect Card, the Perfect Time, Everytime." I use that with my friends when I talk to them about it and they know exactly what I mean.

I've only played ~10 matches (on Planeswalker difficulty), so this always amuses me, as I've won every single match against the computer without restarting / quitting. Is there any admission by the developers or code-digging to prove this to be the case?

Edit: I should add I've seen the computer get mana-screwed a handful of times as well, in MtG 2011, made me wonder why they'd bother programming cheats if they allow drawing too many / not enough mana.

Xzior

The most mind blowing part is that the Bethesda Holiday Collection has less stuff than the pack that ran during Quakecon for essentially the same price.

What where the extra stuff in the Quakecon-pack? I know I should be suprised at the price difference, but still it blows my mind everytime and I get sad and shake my fist towards the sky and say "Why Gabe, WHY?"

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fallout: New Vegas is an excellent game. The DLC (especially Dead Money and Old World Blues) are definitely worth it.

Askani

I've only played ~10 matches (on Planeswalker difficulty), so this always amuses me, as I've won every single match against the computer without restarting / quitting. Is there any admission by the developers or code-digging to prove this to be the case?

There was a recent study I just made up that says it happens 87.5% of the time.

But really no, it's all anecdotal. I felt with the amount of time I've played this version that I had a good base of what happens. It's entirely possible that I'm just that bad but I've played the card version "back in the day" and feel like I have a good enough grasp on the concepts that it can't all be me...although I can't prove it.

Other than the access to other cards. The first time I caught that was a PC opponent using a Mox.

Card Boy

Banned
Just posting from the trade thread. Since i don't have coals or anything anymore, i am willing to pay for the following via Paypal if people won them. Just PM your Steam ID.

What i'm after.

Deus Ex: Invisible War ($2.50)
Demigod ($4)
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition ($10)
Dead Rising 2 ($7.50)
Devil May Cry 4 ($6)
Bioshock 2 ($5)
Deathspank games ($3.50 each)
Fable 3 ($5)
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind ($4)
NBA2K12 ($7)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the word on Puzzle Agents?

Haven't played 2 yet. 1 is worth the money, but has some flaws as a Layton clone.

From my impressions, November 2010:
Game was decent and I had a good time. I liked the Fargo meets professor Layton meets satire frame story. Of the 37 puzzles (pretty short!) at least a half dozen of them had ambiguous or inadequate puzzle descriptions including the final puzzle, which is seriously unfortunate. The rest of the puzzles range from lame to fun and it kept my interest throughout. The art style doesn't blow up to 1280x800 very well and the way some of the puzzle interfaces work, it was pretty clearly made for the iPhone first. Some puzzles would have been better if I could have doodled notes on the screen. Why was this feature not implement [sic]? Taking notes on paper in 2010 is insane.

Had my router die half-way through and rebooted it but when I quite the game, Steam was disconnected so it didn't record my playtime. I'd guess somewhere between 3 and 4 hours total.

They did fix some of the ambiguous or inadequate puzzle descriptions in a later patch.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it, apparently Flight Control HD isn't Altitude. I really need calm down and think about things before I purchase them willy nilly, but Steam just makes it so darn easy to buy stuff.

Oreoleo

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind ($4)

I saw this and wanted to check the price, cause I was sure it was $10 (You are free to pay what you want, this isn't the point I'm trying to make), and the store page says the deal for it ends January 20th. I thought it was an easy typo, as other games still say January 2nd, but if that were the case wouldn't it say "January 20nd" ? Am I crazy?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/

(I totally have a 25% off Bethesda coupon that I will use alllllllll over this if it's true)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I completed the Universe sandbox objective and Steam recognized it but i haven't got anything new in my Inventory. Is Steam just getting hammered hard again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom