• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I went over the $150 mark again for this sale despite not wanting much. Probably $40 of it went towards a lot of these crummy indie games I didn't want just for the achievement, but still I spent $167 and got some nice stuff.

That's also not including some of the other purchases I made like Lord of the Rings war in the north for $12 on GMG, Ico/Shadow and MGS Collection from wal mart, Deus Ex Missing Link for $5 on Amazon and The Old Republic. Expensive christmas season.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck I can't believe crafting is now pointless. I intended to craft everything on the final day after I had gotten all the coals i could from achievements.

But if it's just all valve coupons and the coupons don't stack .. There's really no point.

I can only imagine the coals will actually vanish from your inventory after the sale ends, So you either get pointless valve coupons or nothing? :/

Well each lump of coal is also an entry into the prize drawing at the end. At this point it would seem you'd have a better chance getting a game by hoping you have a winning piece of coal.

Volcynika

Whatever happened to the Gundemonium collection? I never saw it pop up as a deal during this Holiday sale but all three of the games had achievements listed on the Great Gift Pile achievement sites.

Just because it had achievements for the sale doesn't mean they'd be a daily. Poker Night at the Inventory also wasn't a daily.

And the whole pack is $5, great deal.

Sober

Same chances as for the other stuff in the gift pile. I have 25 coal now and I will not craft it.
Well I assume that all the stuff that isn't Valve related is pretty much all gone now, or at least finite enough that I probably shouldn't have hoarded my coal until the end, so I guess valve can only spare valve discount coupons now?

Damn. I was making some last minute additions from yesterday only for my computer to lock up on me and force me into rebooting. By the time I was able to get back into checkout the games were back to their standard prices. Curse you Flash!

slayzz

I'm feeling a fair bit of schadenfreude over this. All those people who wasted hours trying to get 3 kings. All for nothing!

I was about to download and do the champions online achievement yesterday but good thing I got lazy and didn't do it. ahahha

Hopefully this is my final tally. Please be it

L.A. Noire
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Rise of the Samurai DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Sengoku Jidai DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Ikko Ikki Clan DLC
Total War: Shogun 2 - Hattori Clan DLC
Sonic Generations (for my nephew)
Bulletstorm
Dungeon Defenders With DLC 1
Saints Row the Third - Season Pass
Saints Row the Third - Funtime Pack
Saints Row The Third
Total War: Shogun 2 - Blood Pack
Total War: Shogun 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution Missing Link
Payday: The Heist
Orcs Must Die!

Also bought Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 *shudder* from Amazon and Batman Arkham City from GMG for a grand total of *drumroll*

$113.45

Fuck

It's ok because I'm not gonna buy anything until the next holiday sale

Oreoleo

Since they're both the same price, should I get DR2: Off the Record instead of the original?

It looks like there is a bit more content (more combo cards, survivors and bosses) in Off the Record so that may be the way to go. Personally, I would have a slight problem playing it knowing that it isn't canon to the DR universe, but I guess in this type of game it doesn't really matter.

Aw man I am really on the fence about LA Noire. I find the facial stuff a bit creppy und uncanny, but I LOVE the setting.

It does the setting justice . . . nice 40's romp in LA. I picked it up . . . the only thing I worry about is that the PC version is by many accounts, not a good port. But for $12, I can handle that.

Cth

I've got 6 coals, any chance someone is willing to part with 1 coal so I can try crafting a Valve coupon? :D

Thanks!
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975111930/

TheExodu5

Banned
My Holiday 2012 pickup so far. Yeah, I was definitely buying shit I didn't need. Gave myself $100 for the sale, and have almost exhausted it so far.

steam_2012_pickup.png

Only reason I bought the Fallout NV DLC was for the recent developer released mod which requires it.

cicero

There's DLC for SpaceChem? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things! I could've bought it the other day when it was cheap :/ well OK it's still pretty cheap..

It was also one of the achievements you could win from the Summer Sale Camp Activities.

masterkajo

The crafting rumors seem to be true. I crafted my remaining coal today and all I got was -33% Valve, -50% Valve, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 and Half Life 2: Episode 1. Really, Gabe?

Exuro

Ugh I was saving my stuff to craft at the last minute. Now I either take a .0000000000001% chance to win every game on Steam or get some useless coupons... hmm...

Ugh I was saving my stuff to craft at the last minute. Now I either take a .0000000000001% chance to win every game on Steam or get some useless coupons... hmm...

you're not going to win the contest

you might as well try to at least win some kind of game. That's been my attitude the entire sale, and I've won 80+ dollars worth of games already.

There's DLC for SpaceChem? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things! I could've bought it the other day when it was cheap :/ well OK it's still pretty cheap..

Yeah. Gotta keep an eye out for these things. :/

I'll just wait until the next time it goes on sale.

Is there anyone with an extra EDGE copy?

Angry Fork

Aw man I am really on the fence about LA Noire. I find the facial stuff a bit creppy und uncanny, but I LOVE the setting.

It's worth 12.50 imo. The setting and technology is great. The feel of the game overall is really nice even if the gameplay is repetitive. I had it on PS3 when it came out and finished it. It was disappointing compared to the hype but it's not the train wreck people pretend it is. If your computer can run it I'd get it (if you're interested in the film noir style).

I spent about as much money on tf2 gifts, keys for winter crates, hats, taunts and shit as I did buying games during the sale. I'm doomed if I get hooked on Dota 2.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Not to kick you while you're down but it was free (buying with tickets) during the summer sale.

Aselith

Good fucking gravy, how long are BIT.TRIP.BEAT levels? I like the game but it makes me kind of sick after a while looking at it. 15 minutes later I'm still hitting balls on the first level. What's up? I don't think I can stand to play it long enough to get to descent. :(

Two valve coupons just from achievements today. Lame.

And you guys are saying not to craft my coal? Even though I was waiting until the last day to do so.

ElRenoRaven

Two valve coupons just from achievements today. Lame.

And you guys are saying not to craft my coal? Even though I was waiting until the last day to do so.

Judging by how piss poorly everyone has done when doing it I'd say trade that coal for something you want. I haven't seen but like 2 times someone was like hell yea I got a game. Most of the time it's more like aw shit I got another damn coupon.

I myself found that trading coal for me was a a lot better cause I got games for those coal.

Good fucking gravy, how long are BIT.TRIP.BEAT levels? I like the game but it makes me kind of sick after a while looking at it. 15 minutes later I'm still hitting balls on the first level. What's up? I don't think I can stand to play it long enough to get to descent. :(
About 15 minutes (it may be more like 10,15,20 actually...)? It is something they fixed from the 4th game; Runner. Why it took them 3 games to fix the major criticism (it is not fun game overing 12 minutes into a level). Due to the episodic nature (and Nintendo's we'll release it when we can be bothered) they couldn't make the design changes in time for the second game (I think there was a single-use continue for each stage) and for the 3rd game tried a continues system instead.

That said and done playing on Easy difficulty I managed to get to (and lose to) the final boss in less than an hour. Which is further than I got on WiiWare version (Descent usually finished me off in that version) which lacked difficulty selection and maybe using the mouse is easier than the remote like a paddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom