• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

That's really disappointing if Valve ran out of games to give out.

That's like the lotto awarding you coupons towards your next ticket.
You have to realize there were people farming coal and other prizes on alt accounts, so I guess Valve underestimated the amount of people doing that plus the amount of people doing it honestly. And it's not like Valve can just pull extra copies of third-party games even on such short notice.

I want my coals to transform into TF2 hats :(

Spocker

Crafted 50+ coal today, and got 6 TF2 hats (which I have no use for), Far Cry 2 Fortune Edition and Silent Hill 2 Homecoming, so they have not ran out of games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Heroes Pack - $4.99
Rochard - $7.49
All Civ V DLC - $14.39
Wasteland Angel - $2.49
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - $2.49
Avadon - $2.49
Chantelise - $2.49
Orcs Must Die! - $3.74
Pendulo Adventure Pack - $12.49

$53.06

More than I expected to spend. Almost wish I didn't already have Civ V since the combined DLC cost almost as much as the GotY edition.

MRORANGE

I really do hope this is the last day:

FfOxV.png

31st December

Steam
•Turn on Steam Guard
Best way to have visions of sugar-plums dancing in your head is to sleep soundly at night.
SOLUTION: Steam guard should be on anyways just turn it on in the settings menu if it's not.

Magicka
• Ice Age
It's what killed the dinosaurs. Smash 100 frozen creatures to bits.
SOLUTION: Use frost magick on any enemy to freeze them. Afterwards, smash them with Earth magick. Repeat to 100 creatures.

BIT.TRIP BEAT
• JINGLE.BELLS
Make a bell chime in Descent.
SOLUTION: youtube link

Counter-Strike: Source
• Valve Gift Grab 2011 – CS:S
Collect three gifts dropped by opponents.
SOLUTION: start server with bots (make all of them join the opposite team and give them no weapons) once done it's esay to kill them all and collect the dropped gifts.

Hoard
• Ruin Christmas
Incinerate 10 thieves who are dressed up like Santa's elves!
SOLUTION: Kill the thieves as they come for your loot, should only take one game.

Trine
• Winter Secrets
Find the Academic, Bony and Crystalline holiday secret gifts.
SOLUTION: youtube link

Moral of the story: craft as soon as you get them!

What I can't understand is how people have been trading coal for games. lol
I know someone who managed to trade the Valve 50% coupon for two games. But as for coal. I think that was pre "oh crafting gets you a coupon ??% of the time (my experiance was 50% based off two crafting, super scientific)" and/or "hang on, i'll need at least 10,000 coal to get a 60% chance of winning something" (probably Valve complete pack).

Universaldamps

Neo Member
So. No more deals after today? I was kind of hoping to see The Witcher 2 come back on sale, or Dragon Age Origins. If anyone has a spare 40% Witcher 2 coupon, let me know! :)

Dambrosi

Banned
Okay, one last roll of those lucky dice.

Here's what I have:

sat312011inv-1.png

The third one is still Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Wow, that's a bunch of coal. :p

But, since crafting is for mugs, I'm going to try to trade them for something decent. I no longer need the Deus Ex DLCs, thanks to the sublime generosity of AWESOME GAFFER HERE -----> Pallette Swap, but any substantial non-coal or non-coupon offers (no, seriously, you can have the coupons for free if you want, they're of no use to me!) are most welcome. Especially if, by some New Year's miracle, it's Super SF4: AE.

No, seriously - everything for Super. I'll even throw in some TF2 items.

puss_in_boots_big_eyes_antonio_band.jpg

...pwetty pwease? <3

Oh yeah, and my final haul:

Dungeons Of Dredmor: Realm Of The Diggle Gods DLC
Psychonauts
Defense Grid: The Awakening
EYE: Divine Cybermancy
Swords & Soldiers HD
Hard Reset
Nation Red
Alice: Madness Returns
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Rock Of Ages
Bulletstorm
PAYDAY: The Heist (a trade from Petrie)
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (a trade from Petrie - still not redeemed, hoping for a late Christmas surprise!)
Xotic
EDGE
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Tactical Enhancement and Explosive Mission Pack DLC
Guardians of Graxia
Puzzle Agent 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC (a gift from Pallette Swap)

And from outside of Steam, but purchased slightly before or during the sale:
Humble Indie Bundle 4 (Cave Story +/Gratuitous Space Battles/BIT.TRIP RUNNER/Super Meat Boy PC/Shank/Nightsky),
Indie Gala (Hacker Evolution duality & Untold/Saira/InMomentum/Your Doodles Are Bugged!/Zombie Shooter 1 & 2)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution from Amazon USA.

Overall, much less than £50, I think. Very good, I expected a financial wipeout this Xmas, but I got away with most of what I wanted and much more.

Just went midnight in my country! HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!!!!!

inky

Final haul:

Aaaaaaa! Awesome
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Audiosurf
Avadon
Bastion
Beat Hazard Complete
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Costume Quest (gift given)
Defense Grid: The Awakening DLC: You Monster!
Demolition, Inc.
Deus Ex Human Revolution Missing Link DLC
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeon Siege III
Edge
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Greed Corp
Gundemonium Recollection (gift given)
Hard Reset x2 (gift given)
HOARD
Just Cause 2
Magicka
Orcs Must Die (gift given)
The OddBoxx
The Polynomial
Psychonauts
Puzzle Agent 2
Rock of Ages
Sequence x 3 (gift given)
Skyrim
Solar 2
Sonic Generations
Space Pirates and Zombies
Universe Sandbox
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Total spent: ~$150 (Exactly my budget :p)

In hindsight, I should've dropped some of the achievement games and got Saints Row or something, but that was the gamble. Oh well, most ended up being pretty cool actually.

Happy New Year everyone. It was fun.

oipic

Any reports of those crafting coal receiving DOTA2 thingies today, or has that come to a sudden end too? Already have all the Valve coupons I could ever want, but if there was a chance DOTA could pop up...

(wrong end of the sale to end up with 40-odd lumps of coal)

Just got Portal 2 off a craft (yay!). Had it already though, and had bought another copy to gift to a friend for Christmas.

Looking to trade it in the trading thread.

Fou-Lu

Any reports of those crafting coal receiving DOTA2 thingies today, or has that come to a sudden end too? Already have all the Valve coupons I could ever want, but if there was a chance DOTA could pop up...

(wrong end of the sale to end up with 40-odd lumps of coal)

Man, I really wanted a DOTA 2 invite too. Instead I only got one game from the whole sale and it was one I already had. At least I got to give my brother a little extra present.

I don't even have anything useful to trade for a DOTA invite.

Moral of the story: craft as soon as you get them!

What I can't understand is how people have been trading coal for games. lol

Some people like to gamble, I guess!

Unfortunately, I was hoarding my coal until the last day in case I could get some good trades (and I've had a few!). I hope I don't get 10 Valve coupons. (I have 74 coal... yay.)

Lyonaz

Dark Messiah's combat is so satisfying. Kicking people into spikes, impaling them with your sword, Bethesda should hire these guys for the combat in their next Elder Scrolls.

VALIS

Willing to take a chance on LA Noire for $12.50. That's been one of the better discounts of the whole Winter Sale.

Anyone want to recommend M&M Heroes VI? It would be buried so far under a massive backlog that it barely seems worth it right now, but it's a TBS with a really high overhead camera! Gah! Love that!

Dambrosi

Banned
Dark Messiah's combat is so satisfying. Kicking people into spikes, impaling them with your sword, Bethesda should hire these guys for the combat in their next Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, Dark Messiah is awesome. In fact, I saw it was on sale, the memories came flooding back, and I decided to reinstall. I looked at the Last Played date - 4/1/2011?! Nearly a whole year since I played this gem? Time to rectify that! *reinstalls*

Fou-Lu

Then why'd everyone hate this game so much? Seriously never played it and I'd like to know. Maybe it was just GAF being GAF.

Also, my brother was telling me Heroes VI is terrible compared to Heroes V, says it has absolutely no variety and is boring as hell (then again his steam profile says he's played it for 80 hours already...) what is the consensus here on it?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

They're making a new game called Dishonored. The previews for it out of PCgamer have me excited; lots of Deus Ex/Dark Messiah comparisons.

Final Haul

Bought:
Quake Collection

Won/Traded Won Game For:
Puzzle Agent
Defense Grid
Orcs Must Die

Unredeemed won prizes
Bloodbowl
Grotesque Tactics
Basketball Simulator 2010
Portal