• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzior

Dark Messiah's combat is so satisfying. Kicking people into spikes, impaling them with your sword, Bethesda should hire these guys for the combat in their next Elder Scrolls.

This made me remember that I have an unopened copy of Dark Messiah that I bought... a long time ago. Decided to rip the plastic and register it to my Steam account but get a message that it's already registered :(

Ledsen

Then why'd everyone hate this game so much? Seriously never played it and I'd like to know. Maybe it was just GAF being GAF.

Also, my brother was telling me Heroes VI is terrible compared to Heroes V, says it has absolutely no variety and is boring as hell (then again his steam profile says he's played it for 80 hours already...) what is the consensus here on it?

Hate it? I have the impression that most Pelle love dmom&m. Amazing game.

Final Haul:

Bought:
Dungeons of Dredmor
Guardians of Graxia
Toki Tori
Frozen Synapse
Defcon
The Polynomial
Edge
Cave Story+
And Yet It Moves
Jamestown
Atom Zombie Smasher
Demolition, Inc.
Beat Hazard
Flight Control HD
Rock of Ages
Bastion
Revenge of the Titans
The Binding Of Isaac
SpaceChem
Universe Sandbox
Puzzle Agent 2

Total Spent: 56.39

This was a very indie holiday for me.

Trade/Won:
Risen
Arcania: Gothic 4

Very satisfied over all. Got a couple RPGs for free, and tried a wide variety of games.

MooMoo

O_O I think I just got 2 coupons for finishing one achievement. Either way, they were both 25% off Valve games and I still am short one coal for crafting x.X

Aselith

9f7Bj.png
I like my odds!

Really enjoyed the sales this year.

Highlight for me was playing X3 for the achievement after it sitting there untouched for a couple of years. This forced me to spend 5 minutes working out how to play, followed by a couple of hours on youtube watching tutorials to see what else you can do.

Didn't really buy much, but enjoyed the thrill of crafting for vouchers. Certainly the journey was more fun than the reward.

Thomper

So does anyone know if you still get non-Valve prizes for getting the achievements? Was planning to go after a few final ones tomorrow, but if it's only Valve-games & coupons... well, I already have all of those, so I could save myself some time. ;)

Aselith

So does anyone know if you still get non-Valve prizes for getting the achievements? Was planning to go after a few final ones tomorrow, but if it's only Valve-games & coupons... well, I already have all of those, so I could save myself some time. ;)
Probably not but you can still get coal for the drawing.

Darrenm

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm trying to use the SMB trainer, and it doesn't seem to be able to check the boxes :( Is anyone else having this trouble?

Are trying to check them off before you start playing the game? You can only check the boxes once the game is running...I just had them in side-by-side windows for easy access.

masterkajo

Hey guys, I'm trying to use the SMB trainer, and it doesn't seem to be able to check the boxes :( Is anyone else having this trouble?

You need to start it. Then with it the game. Then tab out of the game once you are in a level and check the boxes (they don't seem clickable but they are). Worked for me. No way in hell I could have managed to complete the achievement otherwise. Got a coal :/

StuBurns

Banned
What was the best thing you guys got? I got a 50% Ubi that I'll be using on Anno 2070 :)

Dota 2.

I have half off PayDay too which is probably the only coupon I'll use.

If anyone has a nice Witcher 2 voucher they want to give away, I'm willing to take it from you.

Explain.

Not that I disagree, I would just like to hear more.

I could go on forever about it, it's hard to be concise while really explaining it. Also, as I don't know anything about game design, it's difficult to make any really objective statements about it. But essentially I think it all comes down to the pacing and the sense of having been on a journey with convincing characters.

HL2 and EP1 are both very good (EP1 less so), and they are vital to building that relationship with Alyx to make EP2 as effective as it was. I like the sense of camaraderie the game has, for the most part that's with Alyx, but the section with the Vorts is amazing for that same reason. HL2 puts you in these shitty places for extended periods, and because of that, when you do see your 'friends' it holds more weight, EP2 was the culmination of that feeling. They manage to make it feel like co-op with a character you know and care about, for me nothing else has done that. (Ico and PoP'08 both do something similar, and Ico is actually my favorite game, but it's a very different feeling in both cases).

When I say it's the best FPS, I really mean it's the best game that people label a FPS. In terms of the combat mechanically it's no where near the best of course (I'd give that to Crysis), it's really what the game does as an adventure game that makes it stand out as the best of it's peers to me.

I played it in a single setting, it's the right length, it's paced perfectly, it has that wonderful pay off with the portal at the end, then just after that huge emotional crash, I thought it was amazing.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Nobody knows for sure, but it's most likely going to be a recap day.

God, I hope so. I missed Batmang the first time.

On a side note, did I miss it, or did Doom not get a deeper discount throughout the sale? I kind of wanted to replay D3 with some mods and am too lazy to install my disks.

Xzior

Have:

Games:
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (inc. Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One)
Sanctum
Sanctum
Sanctum
Killing Floor
Shadowgrounds + Shadowgrounds Survivor
Deus Ex: GOTY
Portal 2

Golden Coupons:
-50% Valve

Coupons:
-75% Garry's Mod
-50% Valve