• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Hey, whatever happened to the Meridian 4 Adventure Pack? It was there during the summer, and I eventually passed on it during the panic attack I had looking at my credit card bill. I was looking forward to picking that up this time around.

edit: Some digging later, turns out it's currently only $2.50 more to get all the games in it! Syberia bundle + Still Life bundle + Scratches + Nikopol.

d1rtn4p

The fact that my wish list of 30 games didn't shrink is very disheartening to me. It really is the same games that go on daily deals each sale...

vazel

Banned
The fact that my wish list of 30 games didn't shrink is very disheartening to me. It really is the same games that go on daily deals each sale...
Most of the games in my wishlist that weren't in daily deals are discounted by 40-50%. Sure it'd be nice for some of them to have been in a daily deal but that's already a big discount.

Aselith

Who'd have thought Steam would be so cheap to do a thing like that...
I can't say for sure but most likely each publisher authotized a certain amount of coupons/games to be given away. They're still giving Valve games though as someone got Portal 2 earlier.

Sye d'Burns

Who'd have thought Steam would be so cheap to do a thing like that...

I have to think that people like this weren't anticipated by Steam and, as a result, the rest of us suffer.

i'm a steam fanboy, love the service.

now i don't know all the details, but basically someone with ~1000 owned games was recently banned because they made like 100 alts to farm the coal gift promotion.

yes, it's wrong/messed up, but basically all 1000 of her games are gone, she also had like 6000 screenshots in the cloud gone, and had comments from 2006 in her profile so she's used steam awhile.

she can't login and even play her games offline afaik (if she tries it'll just say you're disabled), so she basically lost all of her games. so she lost her 8k$ in games because a lapse of judgement on the internet.

i know it's in the steam agreement but yeah. really turns me off they couldn't just ban her from going online or something, and she could keep her games. basically valve can own you if they want /w no arbitration, judge/jury/executioner. obviously if you follow the rules there is no reason to worry, but it still turns me off very much.

I have to think that people like this, weren't anticipated by Steam and as a result, the rest of us suffer.

That is the scary thing about cloud gaming. Sure most of us have little to worry about but the fact you virtually have no physical control of your content if it's stored in the cloud is a bit worry-some.

Blizzard

Banned
Ha, I had no Steam access until today, the last day or so for achievements...and I come back and nothing is left but Valve coupons? At least I won the Penny Arcade games. :(

I have to think that people like this weren't anticipated by Steam and, as a result, the rest of us suffer.

Think that's almost certainly the issue. All those people who cheaped the Humble Bundles and leached 'free' games reduced the pool for everyone else. Hopefully next time Steam/Valve think something like this through a little more.

Javaman

I've been doing achievements the last couple of hours tonight to get another 2 coal with this result.
mk1Vb.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely bugged.

vazel

Banned
That the prizes lasted this long out of a two week period was a very good showing. I got three games out of the gift pile that I'm happy with.

Spent 30 minutes trying to get the Bit.Trip.Runner achievement and got Rock of Ages.

I'm happy after a bunch of ususeless coupons and Vegas make it big which I didn't care about finally got something good :)

Wait, there is no Bit Runner achievement is there? It is for Bit Trip Beat.

Sober

Steam has never been so beaten on sale prices as they have been this sale.
That's good then, the concept of sales like this have permeated into the consciousness enough that everyone is racing to beat one another. Plus we still want it on Steam for the most part so it's all good, right?

Talyn

Bah I have 6 lumps of coal left and the only game I own that I've not finished the achievement for is Dungeon Defenders and I seriously doubt I'll bother trying to do that at this point. Oh well, I don't need another Valve coupon anyway.

That's good then, the concept of sales like this have permeated into the consciousness enough that everyone is racing to beat one another. Plus we still want it on Steam for the most part so it's all good, right?

What is weird, though, is that Steamworks games have to pay Valve a cut anyway, dont they. It seems to make little sense to give someone else a cut on top. I'd think Devs would Ruhr sell it through Steam if they are Steamworks.

Nevertheless, I agree, consi,ers win.

Nekrono

I just beat Batman AC and I'm close to finish Saints Row the Third, which game do you guys recommend I play next, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex and L.A. Noire?

Bah I have 6 lumps of coal left and the only game I own that I've not finished the achievement for is Dungeon Defenders and I seriously doubt I'll bother trying to do that at this point. Oh well, I don't need another Valve coupon anyway.

Took about 20 minutes online to get it though I was lucky to walk into someone's group who had a high level farming it for them. Went from Level 1 - Level 14 in the process, probably ruined the game for myself!

Steam has never been so beaten on sale prices as they have been this sale.

Let's not get carried away. Amazon beat Steam on Dungeon Defenders, Civ V, Renegade Ops a d a few others, but there were till amazing Steam deals. Lots of great indie Ames for $2 or less and LA Noire Complete Edition for $12 is great.

And that's only the Alies. There are literally thousands of games on the Steam sale compared to Amazons handful a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom