• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Don't kill me now, but what's the big deal with Psychonauts...? Why does everyone seem to love it so much? Granted, I've only played the demo, but from that it seemed like a pretty generic cute adventure platformer.
It's oozing with charm and atmosphere. The gameplay is pretty average, yeah.

StAidan

I exercised restraint and went with just Costume Quest and Chantelise today. For the daily deals, anyway. I also picked up Westward IV thanks to the rave reviews in this thread.

Skipped out on Dredmor, I kind of want it but don't think I'd end up playing it that much.

Is Chantelise actually good or is it just one of those things people say is good because there aren't many other options? (Recettear is actually good.)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You guys have me interested in Westward IV: All Aboard. Anymore impressions on this one?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is Chantelise actually good or is it just one of those things people say is good because there aren't many other options? (Recettear is actually good.)

Its not good, Recettear is/was ace though.
Chantelise is Recettear without originality and more stupid mmo hack and slay farming.

TekDragon

Banned
30,000 ships lost in AI War: Fleet Command? Seriously? Those developers are absolute d*cks. Even the vets of the game are face palming.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How does Psychonauts hold up? I have a tough time playing "old" 3D games, eeeespecially platformers, on pc.

30,000 ships lost in AI War: Fleet Command? Seriously? Those developers are absolute d*cks. Even the vets of the game are face palming.

Glad to see it was indeed a bizarre goal, I loaded it up cheated and gave myself hundreds upon thousands of ships, 30 minutes later I had lost 3000 ships and I promptly uinstalled the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright! Game of the day you all should buy (or at least consider):

Dungeons of Dredmor
Gaf Thread
WTF video review
E8eVN.png

What is it?
Its a roguelike. So, basically you go down a dungeon, kill monsters, get loot and use the loot to kill more monsters. If you never played such a game before, I'd like to mention that these kind of games often have a straight forward highscoring feeling to it. "How many points on my last run?", "Lets try the same char build to see who manages to kill better monsters!" and the likes. Due to that they also belong to the "Losing is Fun" game category since you are motivated to try and try again, next time with better knowledge how to play and other skills to use if you so fancy.

But arent Roguelikes supposedly all hard?
Yes, as mentioned above you wont finish it in your first sitting. But thats the whole POINT! See it as a metagame to improve your skills before actually beating the boss. All the while, the DoD developers made a pretty darn great job to include customization options to cater to different people. If you dont want to get beaten too hard, just go easy and non permanent deaths and you'll get along quite nicely if you want. And if you want it hard... well.. just look at this:
BILCB.png

Believe me, you wont like seeing those so called Monster Zoos on Hard.

So lets get to the AWESOME!
This game shows you the necessities of using every inch of possibility you have to survive. You can chose one of 7 skills, which all differ greatly. Here is a picture of all the skills:
hPbv1.png

The blurry skills are expansion skills, and it will be more than your moneys worth to try them all out. I guess it might take you about 15-20 hours to try all of them. Good value for one buck spent, eh? I'll tell you about the Expansion in a second. But coming back to the skills: How about playing a vegan emo Axe-using Viking Pirate Vampire? Its amazing to see how the skills affect playing style. My first 20 hours of playing this game was basically almost only with random skills to try every single one of them. The game makes you WANT to try all of them since discovering them or even synergies between skills can be extremely rewarding. Its just fun trying out everything.
And then, in the level, you are scraping for every advantage. May it be the mushrooms you can grow or the health you get from enemies as vampire, its amazing how the game, or better your approach to the game, changes depending on which style you choose.

Other than that, its filled with gaming jokes, and lots (and I mean LOTS) of loot to be found. It just doesnt get boring.

DLC? Worth buying?
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yeeees

Seriously though, it just adds more to the base game. An option to play with 5 levels more of the dungeon (15 instead of 10), more level variety, more skills, more loot, basically just more fun.

Verdict:
Don't know what else to say, if these...:

- Fun & Funny
- Lots of Loot
- Playable in short bursts, or devote more attention if you like it
- Doesn't get boring
- Itching the "just one more try" part of our brains
- Still cared about by the devs, just adding a quite substantial patch and even DLC
- Super cheap with one buck
- Support a very promising Indie Dev

...don't convince you, then not much will.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think people should consider picking up Clones for $2.50. It's basically Lemmings Online. It's really well made and it's been overlooked for a long time.

Don't kill me now, but what's the big deal with Psychonauts...? Why does everyone seem to love it so much? Granted, I've only played the demo, but from that it seemed like a pretty generic cute adventure platformer.

well written adventure platformer with fantastic level variety basically.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Recettear is definitely the must have game in today's line up. It's like crack.

edit - this post sucks command to Toma's recommendation. I bought DoD awhile back, maybe I should get around to playing it.

Saige

I must do better.
Strange. Steam will accept my credit card, just not on my main account so I have to use an alt account to gift stuff to myself.

but I have the Dredmor dlc now

Askani

I know I'm a stingy mofo, but c'mon! lol

DoD is $1.87 for the game and the expansion. Don't get a soda next time you go out to eat. Congrats, you've just paid for DoD.

Toma

I picked up Spacechem on your recommendation months ago, still haven't played it yet with the backlog under critical mass.

Cant blame you, but you'll be in for a treat when you devote some time to it. DoD is easier pick up and play I guess, but wow, SpaceChem really is a special game.

Will spacechem go on sale ehh??

Was on sale every single big sale since its release so I dont even need my crystal ball.

And the achievement as mentioned by the One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom