• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Volcynika

_leech_ said:
Weird, I didn't see that banner when I looked at the threat earlier.

Oh, I edited that in. But the first line in the OP (that's been there most of today) was "THE DEALS ARE NOW UP! THIS LASTS UNTIL JANUARY 2ND."

ghst said:
there really needs to be a complete list somewhere. they're certainly few and far between.

damn i wish that would change, i heard from frag that empire:total war retail will be compatible with steam but i'm not sure where he got that info.
Empire: Total War is using Steamworks, so it's fully integrated into Steam (achievements and all that), and should have retail/Steam interchangeability.

Volcynika said:
Oh, I edited that in. But the first line in the OP was "THE DEALS ARE NOW UP! THIS LASTS UNTIL JANUARY 2ND."

Oh well, it's all good :) Plenty of time to figure out what I want to pick up. I got Half-Life a few weeks ago when it was $0.99 and the two expansions for the same price are no-brainers. Peggle for $5 sounds interesting, is there a demo?

Volcynika

_leech_ said:
Oh well, it's all good :) Plenty of time to figure out what I want to pick up. I got Half-Life a few weeks ago when it was $0.99 and the two expansions for the same price are no-brainers. Peggle for $5 sounds interesting, is there a demo?

Yeah, I'm gonna maybe play a couple demos and such myself to see what I want.

Peggle Extreme is now free I think, you could try that out. It's just Peggle with a Half-Life twist.

_leech_ said:

Dunno if there is a demo for peggle but peggle extreme is free if you just want to see what peggle is like.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Chris Remo said:
Empire: Total War is using Steamworks, so it's fully integrated into Steam (achievements and all that), and should have retail/Steam interchangeability.

ok, so i just read this...i've known the premise for a while but i guess it's worth bringing up again.

INTRODUCING
STEAMWORKS

Used by 15 million gamers. Now available to you for free.

Now your game can use the same platform that supports over 250 PC game titles.
With no licensing fees and no charge for bandwidth, keep your customers up-to-date and together with a unified system.
There is no requirement that you sell your game on the Steam digital store.
Plus, Steamworks does not have a certification requirement—your game and its future are yours to control.
Connect with your customers.

can someone explain why in HOLY HELL this isn't mandatory on all pc releases by now?

Tendo

epmode said:
Can you test that now? Several PC port reviews mention that the Sands of Time has no controller support at all.

give me about a half hour and I can. I know I played through WW and TT with it, just assumed sands did as well

-Rogue5-

Everyone buy Opposing Force and Blue Shift... Blue Shift is considerably weaksauce, but it's mandatory for those that enjoy(ed) HL.

Personally I had no intention of buying another copy of BioShock... But $5? Damn you steam... damn you and the credit card balance you make me procure.

Mrbob

So how many people have played through Clear Sky? Not to put too much emphasis on reviews, but I'm browsing some now and it looks like Clear Sky is considerably worse than the original Stalker. Which is a disappointment.

So has anybody played any of the Prince of Persia games on Vista and had them work?
On the steam page it says windows 2000/XP (only), so that has me kinda wary about buying it.

Chris Remo said:
Ah that's great news that third parties are starting to use it and not just indies. I really would appreciate it if more developers used the server browser. Hoping Criterion uses it for the forthcoming Burnout Paradise PC port- if anyone happens to get an interview with them about the port be sure to drop it in :)

CabbageRed said:
I've tried Sands of Time and Warrior Within on Vista 64 ran into no trouble.

Hmm So i guess it should run on Vista 32 no problem as well. Hope so. Oh well i have time to think about it and go ahead and pick it up before january 2nd.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's getting harder and harder to hold out for a sam & max discount. I already have Season1, but i bought it off the stupid telltale's download service, which sucks compared to steam. I want to rebuy it, but don't want to pay too much for it..

Damn.. :(

despite my hate for steam I got rainbowsix ravenshield gold for four eurons. wish they'd had rs1 and roguespear golds on there aswell. well, or anywhere for download. same goes for the first ghost recon.

Volcynika

drizzle said:
It's getting harder and harder to hold out for a sam & max discount. I already have Season1, but i bought it off the stupid telltale's download service, which sucks compared to steam. I want to rebuy it, but don't want to pay too much for it..

A deal on Season One happened just last month, 50% off.

Tendo

epmode said:
Can you test that now? Several PC port reviews mention that the Sands of Time has no controller support at all.

Just had to map it was all. It does have that weird issue where holding a diagonal causes you to walk, i'm going to test it with xpadder now to see if it works better.

I also checked WW and TT and they need 2 or 3 buttons remapped but the walking at a diagonal issue is fixed and they run fine.

For those asking all 3 run fine on Vista 64 bit

Tendo said:
Just had to map it was all. It does have that weird issue where holding a diagonal causes you to walk, i'm going to test it with xpadder now to see if it works better.

I also checked WW and TT and they need 2 or 3 buttons remapped but the walking at a diagonal issue is fixed and they run fine.

Thanks for the info. It is now mine.

GHG

Gold Member
So I decided to budget myself to a limit of around £20. After much deliberating I decided the total of ~£70 was insane and I needed to cut out a lot of games. Cutting out a lot of games was easy (especially those that retail for similar prices as the sale price). After this experience I've decided Steam is definately evil. My final choices:

Bioshock
Clear Sky
Trials 2
Beyond G&E
Luxor 2
Reaxxion
Heavy Weapon

All came to a total of £21. 7 Games for that price, you really can't complain.

markot

Banned
Id get world of goo on Steam/PC.

The community just released its first level for the game, and I dont see that coming to the Wii >.<

ghst said:
can someone explain why in HOLY HELL this isn't mandatory on all pc releases by now?

Here's a sort of tangential question-can anyone think of better DRM for their games than the prospect of valve cracking down and banning steam accounts for pirating Steam games using a hacked client?

I really don't think so, and the extra benefits of Steam/retail integration provide an appropriate carrot to counter the banhammer's stick. Even if it can be circumvented so that it would be undetectable the simple matter of fear out of ignorance would curb piracy.

Anyway tangent off. I'm loading up my cart now and will also post later with a list of "top 5 Steam sale picks you might have missed".

dLMN8R

Mrbob said:
So how many people have played through Clear Sky? Not to put too much emphasis on reviews, but I'm browsing some now and it looks like Clear Sky is considerably worse than the original Stalker. Which is a disappointment.
I beat the game a month or two ago. Shadow of Chernobyl is one of my favorite shooters of 2007, hell, of all time, so I had high expectations going in. I wouldn't exactly say Clear Sky is worse than SoC, but it was still disappointing. The faction system is pretty useless, and the same quest glitchiness exists from the first game.

That said, I still think it was worth the ~$40 I paid, and for $17.50 it's a no-brainer.

Sciz

drizzle said:

If you liked Season One, just know that Season Two is worth it.

Tendo

Tendo said:

Use xpadder with sands of time, fixes the movement issue. Enjoy some of the best games of last gen :)

gokieks

I had put off BioShock for what seems like forever (or a year, same difference), figuring that it'll be on Steam whenever I actually decide to take the time to play it. Well, it seems that decision's been made for me, and that time is now. $5 is just an amazing deal.

And Sands of Time does have pad support, it's just not very good. I played it on PC with a DualShock 2 years ago, but did have to spend a bit of effort tweaking and re-mapping to get everything working properly.

So even really old games like Wolfenstein will work fine on Vista?

Man it will be one helluva of a trip down nostalgia lane when I play it. Over 15 years.

Big-E

Bought Civ 4 Complete because I didn't have the last expansion and wanted to have them all in one place. Can't wait till Red Alert 3 becomes available.

DiddyBop

i have a damn laptop,id be all over this sale if ym laptop could support anything recent. might check out half life and bejewled though

Rlan

damnyousteam.png

Damn you Steeeeeeeeeam!

Twig

Banned
Thomper said:
He's right, though. All the games in that list are either developed by Valve, or they have Steamworks-features in them, which means they have certain Steam-features in them anyway, which means Valve makes a (tiny) profit on their sale, too.

Only games I'm not sure about are Lost Planet and Prey, but there's probably good reason those are included too.
Well, actually, Steamworks is completely free to developers. So that's not really true.

I think what you mean to say is a lot of those games are made using Source, which is much more accurate. Lost Planet and Prey are not, though. Obviously.

It's up to the developer (or publisher, whoever's in charge of the game). Valve does not make this decision.
drizzle said:

Eh?

Telltale's DD service is perfectly adequate. It may not be as convenient, since you have to go to the Telltale website, login, and download the installer... but in no way does it "suck", even in comparison.

Kritz

Banned
Oh wow. I come back to Steam and it greets me with this? :D :D

Bought Spore, CoD:WaW and Doom II. May also double dip with Bioshock, and puchase GUN if I get around to it.

Too bad I don't have the bandwidth to download all the games. Don't know if I'll even be able to download one of these games before I get capped. 5GB left on the limit - downloading World At War now.

Damn you Steam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz said:
Oh wow. I come back to Steam and it greets me with this? :D :D

Bought Spore, CoD:WaW and Doom II. May also double dip with Bioshock, and puchase GUN if I get around to it.

Too bad I don't have the bandwidth to download all the games. Don't know if I'll even be able to download one of these games before I get capped. 5GB left on the limit - downloading World At War now.

Damn you Steam.

What aussie isp are you with?

Mrbob

Fragamemnon said:
Here's a sort of tangential question-can anyone think of better DRM for their games than the prospect of valve cracking down and banning steam accounts for pirating Steam games using a hacked client?

I really don't think so, and the extra benefits of Steam/retail integration provide an appropriate carrot to counter the banhammer's stick. Even if it can be circumvented so that it would be undetectable the simple matter of fear out of ignorance would curb piracy.

Anyway tangent off. I'm loading up my cart now and will also post later with a list of "top 5 Steam sale picks you might have missed".

Will it include Hinterland?

I wouldn't mind seeing a new thread for this so I don't miss it.

Top Bottom