• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Thomper

Volcynika said:
To make it even easier, I'm in the process of making all the game names in the list links to their Steam pages. After that, might go in there and edit in whether there's a demo available. So if you're like "What's that game about" you just click and check out what's there!
Not to be mean, but there's also a full list of every deal available (dollar-stuff only right now) on the Steam-forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518670&page=30

Fredescu

Proc said:
I'm torn whether or not to just get a few doom games at $.99 a pop or to go all out on the complete pack to get the awesome quake games on my steam. decisions, decisions.
I bought the ID pack for the same price when it was a weekend deal and it was well worth it.

Mrbob

I'll wait on the big games like GTA4 and Far Cry 2 because they'll drop down even lower in price down the road. Unlike console games where I used to want to buy them right away ( I really don't anymore), I've always picked up most of my PC games at a discount. Sometimes I'll pick up a PC game brand new at full price, but the platform has the greatest back catalogue of titles you can actually play there isn't always a need to pick up the latest and greatest right away. For example, I picked up Space Rangers 2 complete package off of impulse a couple weeks ago for 4 dollars and have put a good 15 hours into it with more to come.

EazyB

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Trackmania United has around 7x the amount of content as Nations does :p

Nations contains one car and environment - rally. United has 6 other cars/environments that all handle completely differently, with unique tile sets and each with as many tracks as the entirety as Nations has.

Videos of all 7 environments/cars: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D370E27AB2373C89

United also has an entirely different set of tracks for the Platforming mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgK6Tkpk_1U

Such a ridiculous amount of content that $20 is a steal
Thanks, sounds awesome. Purchased.

Thomper

Mrbob said:
I'll wait on the big games like GTA4 and Far Cry 2 because they'll drop down even lower in price down the road. Unlike console games where I used to want to buy them right away ( I really don't anymore), I've always picked up most of my PC games at a discount. Sometimes I'll pick up a PC game brand new at full price, but the platform has the greatest back catalogue of titles you can actually play there isn't always a need to pick up the latest and greatest right away. For example, I picked up Space Rangers 2 complete package off of impulse a couple weeks ago for 4 dollars and have put a good 15 hours into it with more to come.
Yeah, digital downloading has been great for cheap prices on older stuff. It's impossible to find most of that stuff in stores, and sure, if you do find it, it might be cheaper, but with Steam (and GamersGate/Impulse/GOG), I can usually be pretty sure that if I wait long enough, I can get the games I want really cheap.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Visualante said:
Got bad press because they shipped a buggy game. The patch is fine but they'll likely never hear the end of how bad it runs now. They say 90% of a game's sales come from the first two weeks on console- I can't imagine it's a world apart on PC. That first week was dogged by texture loading and framerate stories and everyone I talk to isn't interested in the game now because "apparently it runs like shit". Rockstar did themselves a disservice shipping with bad multiplayer components and dodgy code.

RE: The deal not being good enough, Rockstar already did a pretty reasonable price for it in the first place IMO. No point justifying your disinterest in the price, the game is worth it as it was.

Far Cry 2 is just straight up overpriced.
I don't think so. I've gotten at least 30 hours of gaming out of the SP alone, and if I wasn't away from my desktop for this break I probably would be playing it more. The game has a certain charm to it. For people who are receptive to the game it really is an excellent experience.

edit: Plus Far Cry 2 has been in the top 10 sellers on steam for most of the time its been out. It only began to fall off a week or two ago, and now its back.

Wow, there are some great deals here. Some already owned on discs, some played on Gametap and I've looking to buy, and some I've been considering for some time but have heard too much negative feedback to pay full price.

Darkstar One
Alien Shooter - Vengeance
Culpa Innata
BioShock™
Civilization IV® Complete Pack
Jade Empire™: Special Edition
Psychonauts
Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete

BobsRevenge

If you're going to get Darkstar One get it off of GoG.com where there is no DRM at all.

BobsRevenge said:
I don't think so. I've gotten at least 30 hours of gaming out of the SP alone, and if I wasn't away from my desktop for this break I probably would be playing it more. The game has a certain charm to it. For people who are receptive to the game it really is an excellent experience.

edit: Plus Far Cry 2 has been in the top 10 sellers on steam for most of the time its been out. It only began to fall off a week or two ago, and now its back.
Bombed on console, they slashed the price. PC price remains high as some sort of piracy tax.

Thomper

wormstrangler said:
You should all get trials 2. I have over 12 hours in it and it's only $2.49.
I'm ashamed to say I've put in over 50 hours on the game. :( There's something in it that makes it more addicting than any other game to me.

Oh, by the way, not saying Psychonauts isn't worth the $10 (it definately is), but you can also play it for free on GameTap.

BobsRevenge said:
If you're going to get Darkstar One get it off of GoG.com where there is no DRM at all.

It costs twice as much. If you ignore that actual price, then that sounds like a lot. For instance, if I paid $45 for Darkstar at Steam, it would cost $90 at GoG. Do you really expect me to pay $90 for Darkstar? I think not!

It was too late to turn back or I would have held off on buying Darkstar until I was buying something from GoG.

BobsRevenge

CabbageRed said:
It costs twice as much. If you ignore that actual price, then that sounds like a lot. For instance, if I paid $45 for Darkstar at Steam, it would cost $90 at GoG. Do you really expect me to pay $90 for Darkstar? I think not!

It was too late to turn back or I would have held off on buying Darkstar until I was buying something from GoG.
:lol :lol

Yeah. I just like supporting GoG whenever I can. Best online game retailer out there!

Bioshock, Portal and TF2 shall be mine. It's hard to not go mental and load up my shopping cart with soooooo many more games than that but I've got to be realistic about what I'll actually have the time to play.

Volcynika

Ok, finished editing the OP with links to the games on the list, and added a link to the much more detailed deal list over at the Steam forums.

Thomper said:
I'm ashamed to say I've put in over 50 hours on the game. :( There's something in it that makes it more addicting than any other game to me.

Talk about the hardest fucking achievements ever...I have major problems with any uphill section in the hard maps.

You don't ride in real life do you?

Thomper

wormstrangler said:
Talk about the hardest fucking achievements ever...I have major problems with any uphill section in the hard maps.

You don't ride in real life do you?
Noooooo. Don't ride in real life.

I'm not that great at the game. My Stats in the game say I've played 80 hours. But I usually play it while doing other stuff, so that's not a completely fair count. Still haven't beaten all the tracks. Have unlocked them all, though. In fact, I have very little achievements in Trials: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thomper/stats/Trials2

Proc

The Chef said:
Time to buy a shite load of games. Whats the word on STALKER? Is the first one best?

I've barely sunk time into the first one yet but who cares at $17?! I doubt that retail will hit that low any time soon.

Fio

Mrbob said:
Yeah Eidos has too many back catalogue titles to 'only' offer 10 percent off. Oh well.

Agreed.
I'd double dip on Hitman: Blood Money (I have it for PS2) but they are asking $18 for it. It's $8 more than it should be on a sale like that.
Way to miss a oportunity to make some money off old games.

Question: can you register old games in Steam? The ones that now are on Steam but not at the time of their launch? I have an old copy of DOOM3 here that I want to go digital disc-free...

Erudite

_leech_ said:
When do these prices expire?

January 2nd

Chiaroscuro said:
Question: can you register old games in Steam? The ones that now are on Steam but not at the time of their launch? I have an old copy of DOOM3 here that I want to go digital disc-free...

You can only register Valve retail games, as far as I know.

Chiaroscuro said:

All games you can register are listed at the link I posted on this page...

Traced-Velocity said:
January 2nd

You can only register Valve retail games, as far as I know.

Wrong.

Fredescu

Chiaroscuro said:
See post #306. Only certain games.

epmode

Chiaroscuro said:
The answer to this is almost always no, unless the developer is somehow affiliated with Valve. Doom 3 doesn't qualify.

(Think about it, why should Valve give away bandwidth to people who bought the game before Valve was getting a share of the profits?)

My quick list (all of those $1 are impulse buys...):

- Bejeweled Deluxe
- Culpa Inata
- Flatout Ultimate Carnage
- Heavy Weapon Deluxe
- Reaxxion
- Runaway - A Road Adventure
- Runaway 2 - The Dream of the Turtle

All of those for a little more than US$ 30.

It is a shame that Indigo Prophecy and Bioshock are not showing up here. Well it saves me money...

Wondering if I should get Jake Kaine, OutRun 2006 and Titan Quest.

CabbageRed said:
Have I gone insane/blind or is The Movies missing?

Rome Total War:Complete is gone, too =(. Gold edition is there but not able to be purchased.

edit: Has anyone used a 360 pad in any of the last gen prince of persia games? Or does mouse and keyboard work fine?

epmode said:
The answer to this is almost always no, unless the developer is somehow affiliated with Valve. Doom 3 doesn't qualify.

(Think about it, why should Valve give away bandwidth to people who bought the game before Valve was getting a share of the profits?)

Think about it, why make assumptions that no games work when you could just click the link provided for the list?

blackMamba1187 said:
Rome Total War:Complete is gone, too =(. Gold edition is there but not able to be purchased.

edit: Has anyone used a 360 pad in any of the last gen prince of persia games? Or does mouse and keyboard work fine?

This has to be a error right? Why would they remove it if not by accident?

Edit: I played sands of time on my keyboard (I don't think you use mouse except for camera, maybe for attacking?) and it was fine for me. If you're used to playing things with a keyboard I guess it's easier to switch. I also played DMC4 with a keyboard also and never had a problem.

Tendo

blackMamba1187 said:

I used my 360 pad. I think i had to remap the dpad to work for menus, the rest worked fine.

Fio

madmook said:
pm me your steam id, and add me to your Steam friends list. My Steam id is madmook.

Really thanks man. The Brotherhood of Gamers Against Lame Region Restriction has sent you a medal. :D

Thomper

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Think about it, why make assumptions that no games work when you could just click the link provided for the list?
He's right, though. All the games in that list are either developed by Valve, or they have Steamworks-features in them, which means they have certain Steam-features in them anyway, which means Valve makes a (tiny) profit on their sale, too.

Only games I'm not sure about are Lost Planet and Prey, but there's probably good reason those are included too.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

there really needs to be a complete list somewhere. they're certainly few and far between.

damn i wish that would change, i heard from frag that empire:total war retail will be compatible with steam but i'm not sure where he got that info.

epmode

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It wasn't an assumption, I knew for a fact that Doom 3 doesen't work. I bought it twice after all.

Jesus Christ, Peggle Deluxe is $5?! *Bought*

I'd buy Bioshock
again
if I knew that it was going to work correctly on my system.

epmode

Tendo said:
I used my 360 pad. I think i had to remap the dpad to work for menus, the rest worked fine.
Can you test that now? Several PC port reviews mention that the Sands of Time has no controller support at all.

Top Bottom