• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a bloody pain to try and see what they were
caught Shogun 2 and Grid as well as some others I haven't heard of
. Good that Aspyr have some healthy competition though in bringing stuff over.

Those were the only 2 concrete titles, the others seemed like hints.

I grabbed Risk of Rain way back when on a Humble deal and after a brief 20 min playaround I don't have a bloody clue what the goal is. Seem like it would be waaaay better an experience in co-op. I did read some impression in here from Stump and a few others and it sounded tedious but I've heard others say they are hooked so I don't know what to think.

The goal is to get through the levels and get to the final boss! Each level has an exit teleporter, you activate that and fight a boss/fend off waves of enemies until the teleporter is active. The stages are there to level up, collect items and become more powerful. There are a bunch of different characters to unlock as well and each have their own unique abilities (which change the gameplay up significantly). I've put around 15 hours in, I think, pretty fun game. Well worth the $2-3 or whatever splitting a 4 pack during the steam sale was haha. I definitely think the game is more fun coop, highly recommend that if its an option for you.

iosefe

The lobby seems to determine where to host based on who is playing. I'm assuming most players are US based so it will probably be USEAST or USWEST

I'll put you under reserves for now. ;)

ok, it all depends on if i'm actually home at the time. i should be, though

Hugstable

Banned
279898769611292672_35s_i.jpg

Something for those on the edge for Freedom Planet...

Freedom Planet gameplay spoiler warning, but I think this game convinces a lot more in motion than it does otherwise, so here's literally six minutes of random clips I took from playing yesterday. My mic volumes were a bit off, but I hope this helps make the point of why I compare it to Treasure games a bit and the quality of the game. These are literally just random clips I put together I should mention.

And of course the video is 30fps, when the game is 60fps. Makes a difference in games like this.

That Hornet swarm had me cracking up. The music, the bosses, everything in this speaks way more treasure than it does Sonic. The levels do seem to be of a Sonic style, but those bosses seem really cool.

I thought Dota/Lol can only be played with two players against each other?
How is a game working with +4 players? Never played before.

I think you're thinking of Starcraft or Warcraft. DOTA/LOL is a team based 5v5 hero brawler. Everyone picks a hero out of several hundred, each with different roles, and try to take over the enemy base.

Game looks way too busy compared to sonic, but it definitely reminds me of Gunstar heroes, one to add to the wish list for when I've whittled down my backlog.

AsylumX

The lobby seems to determine where to host based on who is playing. I'm assuming most players are US based so it will probably be USEAST or USWEST

When you create a lobby, if go to "edit settings", it lets you pick a server location. You can create it anywhere you want.

Hugstable

Banned
I know but it makes it easier for anyone on gaf to watch without installing the game.

This game is gonna get crazy haha. I haven't played in over a year so my DOTA 2 experience is basically gonna be nothing since I'm gonna be having to learn everything on the fly again. Might do a quick practice match against bots before I play tonight just to remember how to play.

Indignate

I think you're thinking of Starcraft or Warcraft. DOTA/LOL is a team based 5v5 hero brawler. Everyone picks a hero out of several hundred, each with different roles, and try to take over the enemy base.

Dota has 107 and League has 119.

While still big numbers, much less daunting than several hundred :p

If you ever want to play dota 2, but are scared or didn't get into the group or whatever, just friend me and send me a random message ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/hasmedaoa ) . I'm always willing to play a few bot games and explain the basics over voice chat. Dota is a very rewarding game once you get into it and it's always fun to see new people get into it. It also helps me learn what helps others learn!

phoenix is right, I was thinking it plays like starcraft only without base building but controlling one character. But it is a strategy-like game, right?
A twitch stream would be nice, so I can get a feeling.

When you create a lobby, if go to "edit settings", it lets you pick a server location. You can create it anywhere you want.

There is an option to allow the game to pick which server. I'll probably use that since I assume it picks the server which has the best ping for the most players.

Dota has 107 and League has 119.

While still big numbers, much less daunting than several hundred :p

It counts as several hundred if you're talking about both games at once. :p

phoenix is right, I was thinking it plays like starcraft only without base building but controlling one character. But it is a strategy-like game, right?

There is usually quite a few streams on twitch running at any time of the day. http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dota 2

Strider

First game of Dota 2 I ever played I didn't know which hero to choose. I looked at Chen and thought "this guy looks cool."

Worst first game ever.

Very strategic game. There are over a hundred heroes, each have completely unique abilities and "roles" (some heroes can fit multiple roles). There are also tons of different items (you can hold 6 at once) with many different purposes so you also need to know what items to get for your hero and why (different situations will call for different items after you get your "core" items). Thankfully there are guides integrated into the game which help with all of that. Positioning is huge, it can and will make the difference between life and death... if you get caught roaming off on your own by a couple enemy heroes you probably are dead. There is just a ton of stuff to learn, that really isn't even scratching the surface. This guide is a good way to start off:

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.U9Kp9vldWik

I definitely would be up for playing Dota sometime, tonight I have plans though, hope you guys have fun!

GAF Game Night

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
header_292x136.jpg

Time to show your karting skills on the road!

- Winner gets a random game from me, but that's if you beat me!
- Previous winners KenOD and Ruruja are free to enter but will not win a game, the free game goes to 3rd place in that case.
- We will play a random world @ 4 tracks.
- Using the slot machine at start is not allowed.

Race will begin:
t1406316600z0.png

#1: DunderHassan
#2: Schnitzelfee
#3: Corrosivefrost
#4: Divius
#5: Gravelord_Nito
#6: Supaidaman
#7: Htown
#8: Enco
#9: BruteUA
#10: Sharkiller

Reserves:

#1: KenOD
#2: Ruruja
#3: Indignate

can i join too?? :)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Gone Home 100% negative, yup that sure is a terrible game, gosh those steam reviews are useful. As useful as those community votes during sales...

I said this last night, ill say it again...im BAFFLED that steamgaf is all about the steam user reviews all of sudden, what the fuck happened man?

While there is not a linear correlation, extreme variences will impact sales either positively or negatively. This can cause an undesired effect for a poster who wishes for an outcome that runs contrary to the aggregate reviews on Steam

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can anyone tell me the first third party game to be released on Steam?

Because I love Steam trivia so much, I jumped through a bunch of authorisation hoops to say...

*drum roll*

... Physically Accurate Martial Arts Simulator

By virtue of it being still available, it also holds the honour of being the oldest, presently-available third-party game. Introversion's debut stuff followed closely behind.

RealMeat

Banned
Are the Sword in the Stars games (on sale at Humble for dirt cheap) just +1s or are they actually decent games? Someone tagged the original on steam as MMO, so I can't even tell what's going on.

The first is a solid Master of Orion style (think Civilization in space) strategy game, especially with all the expansions. The second had some issues.

Speevy

Banned
Since everyone's favorite Modbot is dead, I'll repost this.

Crusader Kings 2 Collection, comes with all the DLC on the Humble website

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings 2 -- MB-7D930F129EDB0DB3 - Taken by fenners. 15 entrants total.

t1406319501z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom