• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Did somebody else just get a 20% OlliOlli coupon?
d091693f8e.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot should be back up. The VPS I was putting it on uses CentOS, which has Python 2.4 installed natively, and you can't upgrade to Python 2.7 because that breaks Yum, CentOS's pathetic excuse for a package manager, which means you need to install Python 2.7 in parallel by doing your own compilation, which is fine except you need to track down all the dependencies, which isn't easy since the package manager can't do it for you. Then I needed to install pycurl for the moderation side of ModBot, which is dependent on a version of curl not available on CentOS, so I had to install that myself, and then I needed to go down the rabbit hole trying to correctly match versions of SSL libraries to make pycurl and the separately installed version of curl play ball with one another. Why does CentOS suck so much?

Expect a few minutes for ModBot to catch up with the backlog.

Anyway, the short version is, ModBot should be back up.

And it's running on a VPS, so I can shut my desktop computer down during the move.

Dr Dogg

Because I love Steam trivia so much, I jumped through a bunch of authorisation hoops to say...

*drum roll*

... Physically Accurate Martial Arts Simulator

By virtue of it being still available, it also holds the honour of being the oldest, presently-available third-party game. Introversion's debut stuff followed closely behind.

I've found your perfect job at Valve. Instead of them having Commentary Nodes in what ever game the do next they could have Saoirse Facts where you* pop up every now and then and offer titbits of knowledge and facts about Steam and all the goings on. That or I'm going to start a Steam themed pub quiz and use you as the knowledge bank.

*by you, you know I mean Miss Ronan :p

Why does CentOS suck so much?.

Isn't it based on RedHat? If so there's your answer.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Yrael, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yrael, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-DAE09F40D0CD6D3D - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.

ulgzbKC.png
Instant Dungeon! (Desura) -- MB-A3841F1F4F1A8989 - Taken by Popstar. 1 entrants total.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-3CA7B47DB4E72366 - Taken by Alduin. 2 entrants total.

Windforge -- MB-D3A8D365012E5B0A - Taken by Drakhyrr. 2 entrants total.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-BAAD84C2250EE973 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

Paradigm Shift -- MB-3AFE8E570753E01F - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.

Plain Sight -- MB-AD497493D2203B24 - Taken by ShogunX. 1 entrants total.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-9D23849DC5D34A8C - Taken by Pakkidis. 13 entrants total.

The Cat Lady -- MB-F84330AAFC643C5A - Taken by Dusk Golem. 7 entrants total.

t1406316680z1.png

Enco

Since everyone's favorite Modbot is dead, I'll repost this.

Crusader Kings 2 Collection, comes with all the DLC on the Humble website
This is a good game.

I play it even though I have no idea what I'm doing 90% of the time.

Cheating on your wife with younger women, killing your cousins murderer and plotting to wipe out a family is pretty fun!

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings 2 -- MB-7D930F129EDB0DB3 - Taken by fenners. 15 entrants total.

t1406319501z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yikes, looks like a bit of a linebreak mess by switching OSes. I'm not sure if this is just going to be a holdover from the already scheduled autoreposts or if it'll impact new stuff too.

Also there might be some wacky time zone things related to this move. It occurs to me I have no idea what timezone this server is set up for. Edit: For some reason it was on Moscow time. I changed it back to Eastern. If your giveaways paid out prematurely from that, sorry. I never bothered to code timezone compensation into ModBot.

H1PSTER

This is a good game.

Cheating on your wife with younger women, killing your cousins murderer and plotting to wipe out a family is pretty fun!

It is incredibly in depth but is also one of the easier paradox strategy games too so if you want a great jumping on point CK2 is it.

One of my favourite games... Every save is different as it has an element of RNG, it also means that every person you play as can be different too.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

I like seeing some people sweat about the last of us remaster having better shadows @ 30 fps vs 60 fps and having to deal with that tradeoff.

Gentlemen, welcome to the life of your average PC gamer.

chixdiggit

I got the feeling it was Rag Doll Kung Fu but Christ were getting on for 10 years ago now.

Because I love Steam trivia so much, I jumped through a bunch of authorisation hoops to say...

*drum roll*

... Physically Accurate Martial Arts Simulator

By virtue of it being still available, it also holds the honour of being the oldest, presently-available third-party game. Introversion's debut stuff followed closely behind.

Awesome. Thanks Guys!

Dr Dogg

Really digging the finished installing pop ups. Now I can know when a game has installed that I'm totally not going to play for ages!

I like seeing some people sweat about the last of us remaster having better shadows @ 30 fps vs 60 fps and having to deal with that tradeoff.

Gentlemen, welcome to the life of your average PC gamer.

Average? Christ even at the bleeding edge there's stuff that clashes with one another. Sometimes AA and AO don't render correctly when certain implementations are used together. Some times running at higher framerates can make other physics elements unstable or speed up game timing. You can even get UI breaking and not rendering because you have the audacity to have a display that has a native display resolution that isn't supported by the game. Thankfully having access to your system unlike on a closed box you can tweak things to get everything to play nice. Going to be a wild ride when the new consoles get into the real trade offs between resolution and framerate vs dynamic effects.

Edit: Case in bloody point State of Decay only supporting stupid resolutions. Thankfully I've got 2560x1440 up and running now but urgghhhh.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition -- MB-33EE6F9BAC16D470 - Taken by 28 Posts Later. 15 entrants total.

t1406321061z1.png

Caerith

Yeah said the same for me I believe. Is the game really that bad? From what I've seen of people's opinions and impressions here, most liked it I thought.

Sorry for the late reply, but no. That aggregate rating reflects more on society than it does on the game.

AHA-Lambda

I can't believe it but the last 2 chapters I've played of GWBW are much more manageable than the first 2! To be fair I am on easy mode now, cos of how stupidly hard the first 2 chapters were.

Oh man, Walking Dead S02E04 is a hoot. I made it my goal to always make the cruelest decisions and it is paying off in spades.

I wish I could do this but every single game I make a good guy (mass effect, fallout, Divinity) just last week I was going to make my Divinity character evil but after I killed the first option that came up I couldn't do anymore and had to make amends with the gods. My conscience is interfering with my gaming!

5 minutes left, you can still do it!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

The Swapper -- TUItNzcxMEM5Mjg5MDQ3RjMxNw== - Taken by DarkMehm. 1 entrants total.
Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- 4d422d46323046353744414645313533463442 - Taken by JustLynx. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack -- 9gUEg1GM0U5qtef2)[c[1Ia8 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 1 entrants total.
Spelunky -- JVBC2OBVIFCTONBUGBBDAMBZGJAUCQQ - Taken by Supaidaman. 3 entrants total.

t1406319261z1.png

Thanks for the Sonic race, was great fun :)
Damn close shot there Supaidaman!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish I could do this but every single game I make a good guy (mass effect, fallout, Divinity) just last week I was going to make my Divinity character evil but after I killed the first option that came up I couldn't do anymore and had to make amends with the gods. My conscience is interfering with my gaming!

I used to struggle with it too, but Telltale has broken me. After Season 1 failed to give my good guy decisions any weight in the finale I decided to embrace the darkness.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
a few more leftovers ... grab 'em ... please

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Thief Gold #4 -- MB-ED8A75186E4485CF - Taken by Ruruja
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #3 -- MB-A12B1D2E9009A37B - Taken by lfvgt
Thief Gold #3 -- MB-7CD3AD730E9EA349 - Taken by Loptous

Aaron D.

This is a good game.

Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV are so golden.

Learning curve is pretty epic, but they're so rewarding (even if you suck at 'em, like me!).

A case for PC gaming could start and finish with Paradox games.

Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV are so golden.

Learning curve is pretty epic, but they're so rewarding (even if you suck at 'em, like me!).

A case for PC gaming could start and finish with Paradox games.

I watched idle thumbs play Crusader Kings 2 for like 12 hours.

I respect the game, what it does, and how wonderful it can be BUT that shit just aint for me. I figure I would get my feet wet with Civ 5 before i ever go down the historical sim rabbit hole that is CK2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom