• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

It's a failure of imagination that Bethesda shouldn't be caught up on. To elaborate more would just walk into a spoiler minefield. You're supposed to be anyone in those games, but instead they've decided "hey, you're this."

I'll elaborate here (huge Fallout 4 spoilers):
having a 'traditional' marriage with a child of your own, not adopted, is the only way Bethesda feels that players will feel invested in the family they show you for the first ten minutes, and this child's existence is crucial for a late-game twist, not to mention the driving point of the plot, as I understand it.
It's essentially Bethesda saying "pretend whatever you like, but we know how things really are."
Yeah, this bothers me.

@Lurker, This is nothing new, in fallout 3 they basically show you how you was raised (I didn't check out your spoilers btw, I'm not done with the game). Even in New Vegas which is made by a different dev took some control over your character's back story by making him or her the one that delivered the package that destroyed The Divide.
There's a huge difference between "this is who you are" and "this is what your job is."

it's very different since u can actually roleplay quite meaningfully within the things that are preset like being a courier or the divide stuff. even in new vegas when ulysses criticizes for things your character did in their past life the whole reason it works it's because it mirrors the kind of things you've been doing as a player all the way until then. ulysses is talking to your character but also to you as a player. it's really well done and plays really well with rpg tropes and roleplaying, and you can roleplay how your character feels about the whole. does your character care? is your character seeking for redemption? do you want revenge? or do you want to forget? or whatever

here you're given a kid and a husband and forced to go MY BABYYYYY every now and then because beth can't write or design for shit

in fo4 it makes sense cos everyone has a dad. not everyone is straight, believes in marriage or having kids, and it's limiting in a game that's supposed to be about roleplaying. its only saving grace is that fallout 4 is such an awful rpg that it doesn't matter since nothing really matters i guess
Well said.

Now, question kinda related to this, but how well does Bethesda handle the relationships in Fallout 4? I read that you can be polyamorous, but how is it handled? Are all NPCs cool with it, or do you have to do Persona 4 levels of relationship juggling to keep your partners in the dark about each other? Is there sexuality, like with some characters only liking men or only liking women? Or are all characters bi?

zkylon

zkylewd
So... What you're saying is that ulysses is dope and you want obsidean to make a new fallout? Cause if you are i tottally agree with you on both those statements.

it'll happen

one day it'll happen

tumblr_nqf3hlkOBr1ryzigco1_500.gif

Now, question kinda related to this, but how well does Bethesda handle the relationships in Fallout 4? I read that you can be polyamorous, but how is it handled? Are all NPCs cool with it, or do you have to do Persona 4 levels of relationship juggling to keep your partners in the dark about each other? Is there sexuality, like with some characters only liking men or only liking women? Or are all characters bi?
i gave up early on (maybe i'll try again later when mods improve the awful ui) but so far it seems to be like dragon age style in that characters like one thing or another and every now and then based on their love for u or whatever that'll trigger a conversation in which they tell you things about themselves

you have a big dialogue option that's like hey how u feel about our relationship that preston has been answering awkwardly so far, so i bet npcs are 100% independent

Just today I finally finished - for real this time - the complete DLC collection for Dark Souls II. It took me roughly 30 hours, so there is no lack of content. I enjoyed my time with and do recommend playing despite its flaws. It might not be totally fair to compare this to its predecessor but it ought to be easier to make points click this way.

The first big difference to Artorias of the Abyss would be the distinct differentiation of the DLC into three separate entries. This is substantial as the three DLCs have no links with each other, there are no physical or major narrative connections. Each take place in a separate area which itself consists of a couple small ones. Similarly to Artorias of the Abyss though you find yourself discovering and exploring forgotten shrines and castles once being in the hand of powerful kings. Visually each of them has a distinct setting and they are indeed visually striking. Enemies as well have been newly designed for the areas, so you will have a nice time of acclimation to their tactics, weaknesses and strengths. To me it felt like the enemies got blessed with enormous health-points all across the board, maybe a bit too much as you will be hammering on them for quite a while. Given it was meant for experienced players it makes sense but so was the Artorias DLC and I rarely got a similar feeling there.
But of course it's the bosses which make Souls games especially memorable. On that front I was mildly disappointed as the trend of unimaginative boss-fights from the main game continues here as well, with few exceptions. You will face many humanoid enemies once again who have some tactics to learn but they sorely lack the awe inducing impact of a Gaping Dragon, Demon of Song or Ancient Dragon. What is irking me is that even the human(oid) bosses in DS1 never lacked that bombastic effect, O&S, Gwyn, they never felt like just human bosses. It's the lack of special movements and attacks I believe. Don't get me wrong, they are still fun to fight and conquer but it could have been a so much more memorable experience.
That is especially notable since they stand in stark contrast to and thus lack the sheer joy of impressive levels themselves. The wide-spanning castle in the Ivory King, the refreshingly vertical towers in the Old Iron King and the fabulously crafted ancient temples in the Sunken King. What a joy they were to explore until no loot, no enemy, no secret were left untouched! On that, I am very happy to have randomly chosen the order of DLC to play in a way that each area surpassed the previous one - Ivory►Old Iron►Sunken. Especially the City of Shulva I fell in love with its imposing grand vista, minor but refreshing "puzzle" elements and tombs that gave a grand adventurous vibe to it. What a pleasure it was! I can't help but think that it either was meant to be the original Lost Izalith or devs themselves took inspiration to the contrary. You have an old forgotten city consisting of temples with a deity-like figure in the midst, located in a huge underground cavern, surrounded by a floated area, guarded by dinosaur-like monsters. Uncanny!I will have to shine a light on the Brume Towers as well though, as its verticality was a very welcome change and lead to an even more approachable sense of progression to reach the down-most level to face its master. In regards to those, the fairly classic Castle of the Ivory King feels almost too traditional, despite being a visual joy, especially the penultimate foyer and the immediate boss arena. Jaws have been dropped.

Sadly almost as often as the ball has been on boss design which sours the overall experience. Putting unholy amounts of health-points into basically boring big humans does not make for memorable and challenging fights to reminisce and tell others about. It just becomes a trudge to finish and fill a checkbox. Neither the Fume Knight nor Aava will be remembered as Artorias or Manus are. Which is ultimately the conclusion I can come up to.
There is a distinct lack of games which give me the sensation Souls games do. Thus I gobble up every little there is and still stay yearning for more. This is more content for Dark Souls II, more content for a Souls game. There is nothing quite like it anywhere else, so if you like the Souls games, you will get the DLC and you will play it. Despite my admittedly dramatic criticism, this does not mean you won't have fun doing that. It's great fun even but when you compare it to the masterful craft which Artorias of the Abyss DLC was for Dark Souls, you will end up not quite as impressed. It does offer more content but separating the DLC into three entries took its toll on a cohesive world, a world which you heard whispers of, legends of in your stay in the main game. A world that feels as complete and as satisfying. A world with extremely well designed bosses who challenge you on levels not seen in the main game. Bosses you remember fondly.
You get a couple dozen hours of solid, fun Soulsing, solid bosses, a solid addition to the solid main game. Solid, worthwhile and recommendable but ultimately lacking in soul - pun totally intended.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it's a little over a week until we're ready for the December thread which will be the last one I'm doing before MrOrange takes back over. There are quite a few great games coming out next month. Here's what I have down so far:
  • Dragon Quest Heroes - jshackles
  • Lightning Returns - DrDogg(?)
    I think he said he'd do this one
There hasn't been much announced for Steam in December but there are some great games coming up like:
  • Just Cause 3
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Helldivers
  • Hatiful Boyfriend Holiday Star
You can also write about games that came out in November but weren't mentioned in the OP.

Send me a PM if you're interested

zkylon

zkylewd
And on that day we'll discover that bugs actually do matter a great deal for the review scores!
to be fair to beth, i wouldn't say bugs are a bad thing about fallout 4. much like with witcha3, the bugs i've ran into were of the hilarious kind, nothing gamebreaking or annoying, just lots of the game breaking in funny ways that kind of made the game better, even

now shitty design, oversimplification, terrible writing, excessive loadings, broken systems, etc. all of that should've mattered a whole lot more

Soulflarz

Banned
Where did you get it for 12$ ? That seems really cheap.

Someone was willing to part with it for a $16 steam gift rather than the normal BST $20, and my steam guy gave me the game at 25% off, so I in the end paid $12 paypal gift

heh

However, I did already get 2 seperate PMs at my original 18, so just a heads up, BST price IS under $20.

So it's a little over a week until we're ready for the December thread which will be the last one I'm doing before MrOrange takes back over. There are quite a few great games coming out next month. Here's what I have down so far:
  • Dragon Quest Heroes - jshackles
  • Lightning Returns - DrDogg(?)
    I think he said he'd do this one
There hasn't been much announced for Steam in December but there are some great games coming up like:
  • Just Cause 3
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Helldivers
  • Hatiful Boyfriend Holiday Star
You can also write about games that came out in November but weren't mentioned in the OP.

Well, looks like Helldivers is taken. Can I take Just Cause 3?

Caerith

What makes a game eligible for mention in the OP? I've been playing a ton of Brawlhalla, which is still Early Access but went from closed beta (invite-only) to open beta (anyone can play) in November. I have no idea when it will come out of Early Access.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll do Helldivers if I can link to the Klendathu Drop music as part of the preview.

Though if someone's actually played it on PS4 or wherever it is, and wants to preview it, then go right ahead.

Well, looks like Helldivers is taken. Can I take Just Cause 3?

Awesome guys, thanks!

What makes a game eligible for mention in the OP? I've been playing a ton of Brawlhalla, which is still Early Access but went from closed beta (invite-only) to open beta (anyone can play) in November. I have no idea when it will come out of Early Access.

Considering the low number of releases in December, I'll allow it.

hohoXD123

TitS is so good, how have I not played this before. Feels like it has been a while since I've been this addicted to a game, on chapter 3 now. Will probably get SC if it goes on sale.

Kiru

Just Cause 3 System Requirements were "released", retail copies of the retail version are out in the wild and people are taking pictures of the back cover. Mock if old.

https://twitter.com/Der_FaZe/status/668509023277293569

Recommended
i7 3770/AMD FX8350
GTX 760 3GB / R9 280X 3GB
8 GB ram
45 GB HDD/SSD

Knew I have seen those lol, seem to be the nearly the same as the ones for Mad Max:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
RAM: 8 GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (3 GB Memory or higher) or AMD Radeon HD 7970 (3 GB Memory or higher)
DirectX: DX11
HDD: 32 GB available space

MUnited83

For you.
Someone was willing to part with it for a $16 steam gift rather than the normal BST $20, and my steam guy gave me the game at 25% off, so I in the end paid $12 paypal gift

heh

However, I did already get 2 seperate PMs at my original 18, so just a heads up, BST price IS under $20.

I'm so damn tempted, but...

k0ARsRZ.gif

Just Cause 3 System Requirements were "released", retail copies of the retail version are out in the wild and people are taking pictures of the back cover. Mock if old.

https://twitter.com/Der_FaZe/status/668509023277293569

Recommended
i7 3770/AMD FX8350
GTX 760 3GB / R9 280X 3GB
8 GB ram
45 GB HDD/SSD

just made a comment earlier asking why they hadn't announced requirements yet...people said they'd guess it'd be more or less the same as Mad Max and it seems they were right

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of xGreg, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xGreg, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blood of Old -- MB-5CF612EB653EC432 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Gorky 17 -- MB-A32353DA611357AB - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Men of War: Condemned Heroes -- MB-5670693545183C10 - Taken by WinterDemons. 4 entrants total.
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-0F4D3A00D983E450 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
Reign: Conflict of Nations -- MB-537E07EC14F00E6F - Taken by GERGiEV. 4 entrants total.
Ruzh Delta Z -- MB-4967A110DD903D35 - Taken by Knurek. 1 entrants total.
Real Warfare: 1242 -- MB-07E3ECE4BAAD020D - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Vessel -- MB-F999B2204A907754 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
RENA - Clash of Champions -- MB-DB4A802AB102A789 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Reign: Conflict of Nations was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1448240191z1.png

tmarg

I got brotherhood free somehow and played about 15 minutes of it. Sassy Crud seems weird to me, I don't get the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom