• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned off quick start up to see id that solves it. Looking online and I see other options about turning off drivers from turning on the computer, ill try that. I <3 quick start up, its too useful to lose cause win10 likes to act dumb

That happens when you promote Disposeaea
You love disgaea, i dont understand why you pretend that you dont, we all know your love for the series

PARANO1A

So I'm having issues with my gaming PC.

I was having green flickering lines across the screen under load (GTAV, Syndicate) that eventually moved to losing signal with my TV. Yes, I game solely on my TV. After looking at temps, my GPU temps were quite high (mid 70's to mid 80's) but immediately went down to ~30 after quitting the game. Artefacts disappeared after temps went down too.

I assumed this was heat related. However - what I noticed was that wiggling the mini-HDMI to HDMI connector stopped any screen artefacts... for a few minutes. I thought that maybe the connector was dying, so I bought a few new ones, and after a week they had the same issue. I have a Gainward Phantom GTX970 for reference - it only has 3x mini Displayport and 1x HDMI mini ports.

The converters you get for HDMI Mini to HDMI tend to be cheaply made, so I bought a Displayport Mini to HDMI converter, which worked... but after a week I couldn't get a signal on my TV through any of the Displayports.

So last night I had the usual flickering until I lost signal altogether. I took the PC apart and reseated the GPU but no luck. I did manage to remote connect into the PC (which boots) and the device manager still shows my GTX970 as connected, but there's no picture on the TV.

My assumption here is all the output ports died due to heat. I think this was exacerbated by having fiddly adapters being shoved into ports, probably being the 'weak link' in a fragile hardware chain. I do have a small case (RVZ01) and slow low noise fans rather than louder and faster cooling since everything's in the living room.

What's your expert opinion? Am I toast? No gaming until I get a new GPU? I don't have any other monitor / GPU / hardware to swap and test.

Anyway - I have an EVGA GTX980 Ti on order now which is small and quiet. I'd prefer a cooler card but my case size is pretty limited. I rage-bought one since I couldn't play anything last night when I wanted to... #entitledgamers.

I'm very, very shitty that my 970 barely lasted 9 months.

59219606.jpg

uoiog.jpg

chronomac

I assumed this was heat related. However - what I noticed was that wiggling the mini-HDMI to HDMI connector stopped any screen artefacts... for a few minutes. I thought that maybe the connector was dying, so I bought a few new ones, and after a week they had the same issue. I have a Gainward Phantom GTX970 for reference - it only has 3x mini Displayport and 1x HDMI mini ports.

The converters you get for HDMI Mini to HDMI tend to be cheaply made, so I bought a Displayport Mini to HDMI converter, which worked... but after a week I couldn't get a signal on my TV through any of the Displayports.

This might be a dumb question but have you tried a cable that has mini-HDMI on one end and full HDMI on the other (like this), so you aren't using adapters?

PARANO1A

This might be a dumb question but have you tried a cable that has mini-HDMI on one end and full HDMI on the other (like this), so you aren't using adapters?

No, since I don't have one and have many HDMI cables lying about. I have tried many different connectors though - three in total, including one brand new. That's the kind of cable that would take a while to arrive in my doorstep since Australia tends to get that kind of stuff direct from Hong Kong when ordering. Wish we had a Monoprice equivalent.

Ruruja

Invited DunderHassan to play some 3v3 Rocket League with me and a friend of mine.

It was good fun, we played pretty well and scored some tasty goals!

Cheers Dunder.

you're much better at keeping than our other 3rd player :p

Uzzy

Undertale will hopefully get a slight discount this sale, so I'll pick that up then, which leaves me just that and Age of Decadence to play in order to judge my top five games of the year.

Number 1 is of course Huniepop.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Project CARS - Classic Lotus Expansion

Project CARS continues its commitment to deliver fresh new content and updates via its ON DEMAND programme today with the release of the Classic Lotus Track Expansion featuring four historic Classic Team Lotus cars and three historic locations to drive them on.

Historic Classic Team Lotus cars:
  • 1965 Lotus Type 40 Ford
  • 1963 Lotus Type 25 Climax (F1)
  • 1966 Lotus Type 38 Ford (Indy)
  • 1967 Lotus Type 51 (FF)

Historic locations:
  • Rouen les Essarts
  • Hockenheim Classic
  • Silverstone Classic

Khronico

Yo rainbow six siege is a fun shootbang
when matchmaking actually works, which is rare so far

Real shame about the lack of a campaign though, I spent so many hours back in the day on 3's missions. The coop stuff is fun but I would still much rather have a long campaign with strategic pre-mission planning. At least there's Doorkickers/Breach&Clear for scratching that itch.

Also, I started another character in Fallout 4 (female this time) and MAN, ALMOST NOTHING you say in the course of playing the game has any meaningful impact on the story (except for very specific instances where it locks you into a certain faction). You can be a total douchebag to everyone and it doesn't matter at ALL. I've talked mad mess about the Minutemen and Garvey is still doling out faction storyline missions to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
finally got around reading that pc gamer article. it's kind of right in marking all the stuff that's wrong with the game, but then it says "they must have had their reasons" and "i still like discovering", like all that stuff didn't matter

it's just a bad game

it's just bad

Mordekaiser/Heimerdinger Bot lane

nicee

Volimar

Heimerdinger was one of my favorites when I played. He was just fun. I bugged ironstylus for a long time to make Candyman Heimerdinger with gumball machine turrets.

zkylon

zkylewd
Heimerdinger was one of my favorites when I played. He was just fun. I bugged ironstylus for a long time to make Candyman Heimerdinger with gumball machine turrets.

that's a good idea

sadly you're a bad person and deserve the worst for playing heimerdinger

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Read Only Memories is officially the best point n click adventure game I've played in 2015.

header.jpg

Featuring

cute pixelart

modern cyberpunk

80s/90s Japanese adventure game mechanics

a banging soundtrack

seriously, cute pixelart

Highly recommended.

I just finished playing through it, and yeah, Read Only Memories is really good. Everyone that bought the bundle it was in should play it.

My biggest problem with the game was the final puzzle. There really should have been a way to skip through dialogue you've already read multiple times.

Grief.exe

This post is interesting.

So I'm having issues with my gaming PC.

I was having green flickering lines across the screen under load (GTAV, Syndicate) that eventually moved to losing signal with my TV. Yes, I game solely on my TV. After looking at temps, my GPU temps were quite high (mid 70's to mid 80's)

Completely normal temps.

but immediately went down to ~30 after quitting the game. Artefacts disappeared after temps went down too.

This is completely normal. You are applying an electrical load to the chip, when it is not being used it scales down and the thermal output decreases.

So last night I had the usual flickering until I lost signal altogether. I took the PC apart and reseated the GPU but no luck. I did manage to remote connect into the PC (which boots) and the device manager still shows my GTX970 as connected, but there's no picture on the TV.

What did you do to troubleshoot?

Other displays? Other cables? Other cable types (HDMI/DVI/etc)? Other graphics cards?

My display port on my monitor actually shorts out about a month ago, had similar symptoms as your issue here. I sent it in, Acer fixed it up ordered a new Display Port cable just in case that exacerbated the issue.

If it is a heating issue, you can take off the heatsink, clean it off with alcohol, and reapply thermal paste.

Anyway - I have an EVGA GTX980 Ti on order now which is small and quiet. I'd prefer a cooler card but my case size is pretty limited. I rage-bought one since I couldn't play anything last night when I wanted to... #entitledgamers.

I'm very, very shitty that my 970 barely lasted 9 months.

But_why.gif

You are still under warranty fam.

alrightie i think i fixed my computer, left it sitting there for half an hour and it didn't boot back up by itself, final test is if it turns on again during the middle of the night.

Went back to Lordran after finishing DS2 and man does parrying feel so much better here. Been farming close to half a million souls just at the silver knights not even planning! The act of parrying is so satisfying, I can't help it!

Also, with all bells and whistles turned to eleven the..... game... does look good !

Messiah

Went back to Lordran after finishing DS2 and man does parrying feel so much better here. Been farming close to half a million souls just at the silver knights not even planning! The act of parrying is so satisfying, I can't help it!

Also, with all bells and whistles turned to eleven the..... game... does look good !

Amazing chest ahead!

Adnor

Banned
Aww man Starcraft and WoW are on sale on Battle.net but no Diablo 3? I don't care about SC and already have (and don't play) WoW, this sucks.

dex3108

I turned off quick start up to see id that solves it. Looking online and I see other options about turning off drivers from turning on the computer, ill try that. I <3 quick start up, its too useful to lose cause win10 likes to act dumb

For me it was my network card. You can always see what woke up your PC in Event Scheduler I think.

poppy rework so gooooooooood[/QUOTE]

Seven Hells! Kill it with fire!

[quote="Last Baron, post: 186670268"]Volvo doesn't ban for using SAM to unlock achievements do they?[/QUOTE]

Yes. They ban and they ban hard. I wouldn't chance it.

[quote="Hero Prinny, post: 186671408"]so when is the steam sale anyway, thursday?[/QUOTE]

Monday, fam.
Y'know... cyber monday is the black friday of online shopping.

Idlemaster is such a neat little piece of software. I wasn't getting drops so I checked if I could idle individual games again and sure enough there was the setting. Very thoughtful, plus I love software that updates itself with a click, instead of *click* opens browser for you to DL manually.

Kudos, jshackles.

Don't have the patience to make a giveaway puzzle that melts down GAF for over a week.

Take these.

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Overlord -- MB-BBF63472CE9DE2A5 - Taken by Mikurden. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
GRID 2 -- MB-E8A12894D5EA984A - Taken by Costa1774. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Blackguards -- MB-49E11423F416BCFD - Taken by Volimar. 1 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon! -- MB-50BC4E70F9B855A9 - Taken by Spring-Loaded - Taken by Jazz573. 1 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising -- MB-13ECEA541009DA86 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-42FCDA0EB8AAC4F7 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 1 entrants total.
Overlord Raising Hell -- MB-60E2BA33CA6876BC - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Red River -- MB-D8A06048AD982910 - Taken by GERGiEV. 1 entrants total.
Abyss Odyssey -- MB-D518C8BD397B550F - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.

t1448409694z1.png

hohoXD123

1V3o0.png

Shantom

Speaking of Dark Souls, Tesco have the physical (Steamworks) edition of DS2: Scholars for £12, and it's valid for clubcard boost so you can get it for £6 if you have vouchers. They only ship to the UK though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Zky maybe you can explain to me why half the League characters look like ass?
would say it's more like a fourth but basically league is a really old game (went out of beta in 2009) so a lot of champions were designed when rito was like 10 ppl that were just making a new champion every two weeks

nowadays it looks gorgeous and pretty much everything rito makes is delicious. they also rework old champions a lot (see: poppy above) so that they look absolutely badass

sorry didnt know it was a spoiler

What?

would say it's more like a fourth but basically league is a really old game (went out of beta in 2009) so a lot of champions were designed when rito was like 10 ppl that were just making a new champion every two weeks

nowadays it looks gorgeous and pretty much everything rito makes is delicious. they also rework old champions a lot (see: poppy above) so that they look absolutely badass

If by absolutely badass you mean "looks like 'The Kid' from Bastion crossed with a troll doll and then given blue skin", then yeah... absolutely badass for sure.

Sweet!!

Fak!!

Eh, just ship it to Dr. Dogg or Uzzy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom