• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Dunno. Sure it would be extra work but I don't see how with a bit of optimization SC would not run on consoles.
As far as I know, they are using double precision math on position/physics calculations due to the extreme range of distances (space vs in-ship) involved. The CPUs on the current consoles would get a seizure.

I don't leave the computer on for more than 72 hours, so that doesn't bother me (that much).
I'm used to having uptimes measured in months. Since WIndows XP. Obviously, it really bothers me.

What does is the insane shortening of jumplist to 10 entries with no way to increase.
Also the fact that I have to jump through hoops to get my DS4 working properly.
Also the fact that the bloody thing boots up 2-3 times slower than Win7 (sure, it shows login screen instantaneously, but then proceeds to truly load everything Win7 did before booting.
Also the fact that the bloody Start menu is close to useless (only 2048 entries being indexed?), and Classic Shell still seems to have some problems with Win10 (first try to enter the menu almost always crashes the explorer process)

I'm sure to find more. It's not a Win8 scale travesty, but IMO still a downgrade from Win7. :(
Well, the start menu can be completely fixed by an investment of $2.99.

Why are NAS so expensive? I want to buy a 6bay NAS and they cost like 500€.
Well, you can build a mATX NAS system for less.

Sarcasm

So not only will I get access to the tales of zestria game via family share I got access to:

Witcher 3
Cities Skyline

(plus few others)

I started W3 and at 1080 with most things medium, no hairworks, some stuff at high I get 47 FPS.

Should I sacrifice (turn down) some stuff to get 60 or just limit the game to 30? I am use to 60 FPS (like in GTAV).

Arthea

If I buy zesty and it becomes my 1999th game. Would Symphony count as my 2000th game?

Symphie still doesn't have even a release date, so I'm not sure how bamco is going to handle this, if it unlocks, it might not count as a game until much later, while Zesty definitely counts as I bought it as my 3000th game and it worked.

edited: getting back to Dirt Rally for a second
Anybody here tried to play it, had problems or no problems?

Kiru

Why are NAS so expensive? I want to buy a 6bay NAS and they cost like 500€.
I won a 4bay HP NAS on facebook years ago. The seagate drive shipped with it was loud and also died this year, otherwise pretty ok for free. I also don't get those high prices for these prebuilts. HP left the home NAS business some time ago too lol.

Deques

Symphie still doesn't have even a release date, so I'm not sure how bamco is going to handle this, if it unlocks, it might not count as a game until much later, while Zesty definitely counts as I bought it as my 3000th game and it worked.
I see then zesty will likely become my 2000th games if when symphie is unlocked

Wait is family sharing like how people used to use PSN to game share? Family as in immediate family in the same household or what real world situations do people use family sharing in?

I don't know how it works.

Knurek

Well, the start menu can be completely fixed by an investment of $2.99.

I'm using Classic Start, can't say it looks too bad and is free to boot.

I mean, what's not to like about this:

classicstartmazt6.jpg

(Even has bloody jumplist not limited to 10 entries. Sadly, just for menu, not the taskbar).

Will give StartIsBack a try though, thank you.

(And I hope MS patches those memory leaks)

Copons

Wait is family sharing like how people used to use PSN to game share? Family as in immediate family in the same household or what real world situations do people use family sharing in?

Don't know how PSN works, but on Steam works like this:

you log in with your account on somebody else's Steam (on their PC of course), and in Settings->Family click on "Authorize This Computer".
I can't remember if you have to jump through some Steamguard hoops, but still, once done, you just log out and that's it. Now the other person will have access to all your library (except those games that have family sharing disabled).

You'll be able to de-authorize that person computer whenever you please from your own Settings-Family.

When you are playing, the other person cannot play your games.
If the other person is playing your games and you want to play them too, what happens is that when you launch a game, the other person will get a warning that in some minutes their game is gonna quit because you're gaining control over your library back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's designed for use in the one household (hence the name), but there's nothing preventing you from sharing your games with someone abroad -- you just have to log in on their PC and authorise both their account and the system (Enco and I use Team Viewer, which is free and easy to use). Unlike PSN game sharing, though, concurrent library access is not allowed, which is to say that if you're playing a game, secondary users cannot access your games at all, and if a "sharee" is playing one of your games, they'll be booted out after five minutes if you (the account owner) load up something.

Edit: b10.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chaser -- MB-F0E0A99D35DC3ED8 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Red Faction Guerrilla -- MB-D48FA3E67B94BE79 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 6 entrants total.
Jagged Alliance 1 -- MB-D4FC7BE4CC5DCC51 - Taken by Ribeiro. 4 entrants total.
Sayonara UmiharaKawase -- MB-967DAEF4B9800706 - Taken by spindoctor. 25 entrants total.

t1444561565z1.png

Knurek

The good thing about StartIsBack is that it's 100% the WIndows 7 start menu (the best incarnation so far IMHO), but with additional configuration options.

Oh, Classic Start has a Win7 preset as well (fully configurable). I've just always been fond of 2k style. Less visual clutter the better for me. :)

derExperte

Is there a contest for who can make their start menu look the most disgustingly 90s? That blue gradient alone just gave me eye cancer. The item limit is patched in the latest Insider builds btw, Threshold 2 will be a nice big update whenever it hits.

Milamber

Pretty sure I have some old 160 GB hard drives around with installers of Winamp and folders of skins, Napster, WinZip 1.something, realplayer and whatnots around.

Durante

Is there a contest for who can make their start menu look the most disgustingly 90s? That blue gradient alone just gave me eye cancer.
Here's what mine looks like:
startn9r98.png

And unlike the native start menu, it actually works for indexing manually created shortcuts to desktop programs!

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Hack 'n' Slash -- MB-483B47C294016A28 - Taken by Monooboe
Trine 2 Complete Story -- MB-84B92672A9CC3DE2 - Taken by criesofthepast

Ribeiro

getting back to Dirt Rally for a second
Anybody here tried to play it, had problems or no problems?
No problems, aside from being difficult as Hell (I have the impression that CM is leveling the difficult of their games every new game since Grid 2)

Arthea

No problems, aside from being difficult as Hell (I have the impression that CM is leveling the difficult of their games every new game since Grid 2)

you are lucky, there seems to be many people with problems and no solutions whatsoever.
I'm not so sure that's a good thing, I mean there is such thing as being annoyingly difficult for no good reason.

Dr Dogg

Moredoors started off with great potential then had a sudden dip in quality across the board, narratively, mechanically, world design etc, that sort of picked up at the first boss fight, dropped again in the second area, fidgeted a bit when you unlocked the brand ability and they slowly tapered off into mediocrity until the end. Gaming press loved it though so shows what I know :p

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah I can't buy it until morning 20th.
I have a trader that Tizoc recommended to me (thanks Tizoc!), he seem pretty friendly. Maybe you can talk to him? Ask him to buy a copy for you. Put it in his inventory, then after you get paid on the 20th. Pay for it and he'll give you the copy. I mean worst case scenario he'll get his money refunded if you can't buy the copy.

Saty

I still believe Mordor's highly positive reception is due to it being the first AAA game out after Destiny, which made reviewers very appreciative to any semblance of game design.

Finished Contradiction in one 6.8 hours sitting (with breaks, I'm not insane yet) and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. The actors are fantastic and so are the characters, the plot is intriguing and the game's really easy to jump in and play. I was surprised to find that, aside from a few uh, lucky findings, the puzzles made sense all the way to the end, and I never felt like I had to do too much guesswork to solve them either. The interface could use some improvements, like there's no reason to show objects that can't be used in interviews in the interview screen. It's not a big issue, but it does become annoying towards the end when you'll have a good number of objects and clues to keep track of.
Contradiction's major problem however is the ending. It's a bit underwhelming and while it provides closure, a bit too much is left unresolved for my taste.
All in all, I wholeheartedly recommend this one even for people who don't like point and click games.
Cool read. Never played an FMV game, so not sure how it feels.

The_Monk

Hey my good GAFfers!

I have a lot of things to recover, specially XCOM 2 news but I'm glad to be back, things were a little dark from the past months, but don't worry, I won't bring such negativity to this fine place, I'm just glad things are (slowly) improving and I can now resume my backlog cleaning and my rest my mind a bit. :)

Tizoc

Cool read. Never played an FMV game, so not sure how it feels.

Just dive in, it's an all in all relaxing and entertaining PnC-style FMV game.
It's $5 over at Bundlestars' latest bundle.
Hell you can take your time playing it. The KS managed to reach its goal at the time but if it had recieved its stretch goals it may had gotten to show more.
I do believe the devs said that should it sell well enough they would be able to make a successor or sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom