• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

That Halo 5 review thread is so weird, it's like people updating constantly on the metacritic score and predicting the overall score to the percentile. So weirdly disconnected from the actual reviews, it's like they just care about the numbers game.

Dont forget, only 9/10's and upwards are good and honest reviews, the rest just wants to clickbait.

Watch game's broken as fuck at release.

Then he'll be one of the few that can refund it.

Dont forget, only 9/10's and upwards are good and honest reviews, the rest just wants to clickbait.

I predict a 97.59 repeating percentile Metacritic score making it the in top 1.2048% ratings for Xbox One™ Exclusives released in this current lunar cycle, beating out p s four "games" by 39.589%. Making it guarenteed the top video game of the fall season if my calculations are correct.

I'm just like... wut.

Dr Dogg

That Halo 5 review thread is so weird, it's like people updating constantly on the metacritic score and predicting the overall score to the percentile. So weirdly disconnected from the actual reviews, it's like they just care about the numbers game.

Some people have such a fervent obsession with review scores and their aggregation that you'd think they either have shares in the company or worked on the title and getting a bonus based on them.

Neogaf Review Threads |OT| Ready your calculators!

Watch game's broken as fuck at release.

Yeah, it will. But it won't be unplayable at least.

Some people have such a fervent obsession with review scores and their aggregation that you'd think they either have shares in the company or worked on the title and getting a bonus based on them.
The weird sportsfan-esque rallying around games and companies is really strange to me now as an adult.
Neogaf Review Threads |OT| Ready your calculators!
Neogaf Review Threads |OT| Ladies and Gentlemen, start your calculators!

ss_ea2d7cf0c948059e2fc789c52898541f71fa3c6f.jpg
This is not how cats work.

Dr Dogg

The weird sportsfan-esque rallying around games and companies is really strange to me now as an adult.

If I had my way either review threads would be banned outright or allowed to exist but talk of scores is banned. Reviews could only be posted but with just a link to the thread and a choice block quote that you feel encapsulates the reviewers thoughts. Another spin to encourage discussion about the reviews themselves and not the metric conclusion would have only one review posted at a time and then the thread talk about it for an hour and then move on to the next one. Of course that's way to civilised for the general tone and use of review threads here currently.

Another possibility that probably might work and is a better basis for critical discussion would be to return to reviews some months later after the thread participants have played the games themselves and compare and contrast their experience with that of the gaming media. You know like proper critical roundtable reviews used for various different uses.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems a handful of MumboJumbo games have been yanked. Maybe now Strategy First will bring back its standard edition of Infected: The Twin Vaccine. :p

Monooboe

I'm hyped for Fallout 4 of course but I realized that I'm not excited for it, because I'm just tired of the gamebryo engine, sure they say they have a new engine since Skyrim but it feels the same. Another 100+ hours of that floaty jump, teleporting doors, etc.

With that said, I love the elderscrolls and fallouts.

My system is better than yours!
But does it bring all the boys to the yard?

If I had my way either review threads would be banned outright or allowed to exist but talk of scores is banned. Reviews could only be posted but with just a link to the thread and a choice block quote that you feel encapsulates the reviewers thoughts. Another spin to encourage discussion about the reviews themselves and not the metric conclusion would have only one review posted at a time and then the thread talk about it for an hour and then move on to the next one. Of course that's way to civilised for the general tone and use of review threads here currently.

Another possibility that probably might work and is a better basis for critical discussion would be to return to reviews some months later after the thread participants have played the games themselves and compare and contrast their experience with that of the gaming media. You know like proper critical roundtable reviews used for various different uses.
I hate to say it, but all of these things are going to be too much for your average GAF poster. :x

I think we do need a consolidated review thread that just lists scores with links and maybe a blurb like now, without the discussion. I dunno if we need to debate about who's reviews are biased or whatever for the billionth time or if we agree without having even played it yet. That's just me though.

Dr Dogg

I hate to say it, but all of these things are going to be too much for your average GAF poster. :x

I think we do need a consolidated review thread that just lists scores with links and maybe a blurb like now, without the discussion. I dunno if we need to debate about who's reviews are biased or whatever for the billionth time or if we agree without having even played it yet. That's just me though.

GAF doesn't need to have a thread that just summarises scores with choice quotes and that's it as that's exactly what metacritic does. If that's all peeps are after then there's absolutely no need to have a thread dedicated to doing the same. Who said debating about who's reviews are biased or who was paid off? Are you that jaded that's the only other discussion you think that can be had over a review or do you think that's the only topics peeps here would discus?

There is plenty to talk about regards to reviews just from comparing one reviewers experience to another's. Maybe they might touch on the same subject but have wildly different outcomes. Maybe one might go against the grain of all the other reviews but raises a pertinent point of discussion. Or maybe I expect more than platform wars and media bashing from this forum but it's certainty a better direction than current review threads and the discussion within.

Copons

Your cats are crazy, my two are barely able to jump on top of the dining table.
as long as we're not eating any meat or fish, because in that case they become full on Assassin's Creed or something

M.D

I thought about buying a Wii Mini and getting the best games for the console, but the games are still expensive AF and Metroid Prime trilogy is impossible to find X_X

Arthea

How good is that Dolphin emulator? Are games running without issues?

depends on the game, some games aren't playable still (probably never will be), but most are, you need specific builds and settings most of the time too.

I really want to try, but I cannot find any time to play those JRPGs :(

Currently playing nep-nep 1, but I cannot play longer sessions since I have limited gaming time. So I just play short bundle games instead :(
I have been in chapter 3 in like three weeks now >.<

but Nep Nep totally can be played in short sessions unlike Trails, you are doing something in a wrong way, Deques.

getting back to Capcpom talk for a moment, most of franchises that aren't on steam are dead anyway: starting with munchies' favourite, ending with Onimusha and Breath of Fire.

Lain

getting back to Capcpom talk for a moment, most of franchises that aren't on steam are dead anyway: starting with munchies' favourite, ending with Onimusha and Breath of Fire.

Onimusha has some sort of online game going, BoF has a new mobile release. So it's really only Dino Crisis the one in the grave.

Jawmuncher

Onimusha has some sort of online game going, BoF has a new mobile release. So it's really only Dino Crisis the one in the grave.

Poor Dino Crisis. Can't even get new artwork for avatars. Hell that Onimusha game had characters from all other Capcom games BUT Dino crisis. WTH.

Arthea

that's what I call being dead, or half dead in case of Onimusha and BoF

edited: actually it's closer to 3/4th dead not half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom