• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2021 |OT| Let me tell you a story... [24th of June - 8th of July]

amigastar

I spent $1000+ already and its the first day. Help.

Make It Rain Money GIF

Graciaus

I wish KOEI TECMO wasn't so cheap with the Atelier series. A ton of games and none ever get a deep sale. Hell they aren't even on sale outside of one.

Going to have to do some research on where some of my wishlist are cheaper first before buying anything.

teezzy

Banned
I wish KOEI TECMO wasn't so cheap with the Atelier series. A ton of games and none ever get a deep sale. Hell they aren't even on sale outside of one.

Going to have to do some research on where some of my wishlist are cheaper first before buying anything.

Yeah, they're dreadful during sales

I've seen the Attack on Titan game go on sale literally once since it came out 5 years ago

😑

SJRB

Gold Member

KOEI TECMO are assholes. I have Berserk on my wishlist, you know that okay-ish game from 2017 or so and you know how much discount it has now?

ZEROOOOOOO. It is still priced 60 euros, which is just absurd.

JSoup

Banned
FAIR WARNING: Combat in Ys is completely different from Golden Sun, and not turn based whatsoever. Keep that in mind. Ys is known for its bump system - sorta just running into enemies and killing 'em lol.

Here's some other turn based RPGs fwiw though...

Also if you're gonna look at Ys games... I had plenty of fun with this on PSP. I dont think they're all connected or anything like that

Cheers dude!

if you're getting Hylics, get the OST while you're at it. It's one of those series that I describe as "I bought a music album and it came with a game as well".

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
They really need the daily and flash sales again. Now that was exciting.
I hated having to check the site every 4 hours. I prefer this much more. I do miss the more interactive sales, though. That first year where you could get actual in-game achievements was super cool. If memory serves, you could also get 1 or 2 games for free if you got those achievements.

Paasei

I hated having to check the site every 4 hours. I prefer this much more. I do miss the more interactive sales, though. That first year where you could get actual in-game achievements was super cool. If memory serves, you could also get 1 or 2 games for free if you got those achievements.
I understand what you're saying, but there truly isn't any excitement in these sales at all. Those flash sales went for 75%, or even more, off. That kind of stuff was worth going for.

Rickyiez

Just a question since they are almost the same price now. Persona 5 Strikers or Scarlet Nexus?

I love Persona 5 and it's cast btw, and couldn't finish Code Vein at all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just a question since they are almost the same price now. Persona 5 Strikers or Scarlet Nexus?

Scarlet Nexus

Your feelings about Code Vein are probably irrelevant, Scarlet Nexus is a completely different type of game (not Souls-like). Unless the reason you didn't like Code Vein was because anime.

Man, I am curious about the Dawn of War series but I am complete garbage at RTS games and it would likely be a complete waste of money on my part to buy them.
Can't speak for the entire series, but I HIGHLY suggest Dawn of War 2. It's excellent. I'm not a big RTS guy in general and found DoW2 to be a good time. A buddy bought it for me and pitied me into playing it and we had a great time co-op. So much so that I actually reinstalled in recently to try and convince some of MY buddies to pick it up for some co-op action.

Excess

It's interesting to see 92% user score on Steam when critics gave it 4-5/10. Not to mention that the dev's track record isn't that good.
It might actually be decent.
If I could say there's one thing about Steam that is more useful than any platform, it's the reviews. To me, it's one of the best unfiltered places to get a sense of what a game is actually about. I think I'll try it, considering I love the the Terminator lore so much.

I understand what you're saying, but there truly isn't any excitement in these sales at all. Those flash sales went for 75%, or even more, off. That kind of stuff was worth going for.
It's been like this for years now. Steam summer sales used to be incredible and it generated excitement by anticipating those flash sales.

In fact, I believe the weak sales we see now are a result of Valve/Publishers capitalizing on that amazing legacy. No matter how small the discounts, people will hype up the event and come with open wallets. Sales are no deeper than what we see on and off all year.

I believe the same thing happened with Black Friday, retailers realized the events reputation alone is enough to get people to line up and get into a spending frenzy, so they stopped doing insane sales.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam summer sales use to be a thing now it seems sales are year round or at least seasonal.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It has been a long time since I've played those but I was not really good at RTS but I didn't had any issues with those (singleplayer). Perhaps the first one is a bit more tricky since it's the traditional RTS, but DoW2 feels more like a RPG than a RTS. Retribution was ok (there wasn't really a focus on the campaign) and DoW3... well... it's crap.

Can't speak for the entire series, but I HIGHLY suggest Dawn of War 2. It's excellent. I'm not a big RTS guy in general and found DoW2 to be a good time. A buddy bought it for me and pitied me into playing it and we had a great time co-op. So much so that I actually reinstalled in recently to try and convince some of MY buddies to pick it up for some co-op action.
Thank you both for the recommendation! I pulled the trigger on the package that has Dawn of War 2, Chaos Rising, and Retribution. I'm looking forward to giving it a try this weekend!

teezzy

Banned
My biggest "issue" is that most discounts are whack. At least the ones in my wishlist.

-10% on a 20 dollar game, are you serious?

On the contrary, I don't miss having to keep an eye on the flash sales like a hawk just to make sure I'm able to get a steal. I prefer this newer method

Fbh

Gold Member
Think I'll finnaly bite and get Hades.

Was waiting for a GOG release mostly because I own most of their other games there, but at this point it seems like it might not happen.

Graciaus

I don't think Strikers is that great of a game. But it does do a great job of giving more screen time to the cast. But the story is a rehash of P5 and the gameplay is extremely repetitive and quickly became boring. If you have held out this long you can wait for a bigger sale.

Last edited:

Senhua

Only PC indies exclusive / strategy + DLC's for me as usually.
I really don't understand why people choose play multiplatform on PC not on consoles, unlimited BC my ass (tell that to my crashed emulator with 3 years old hardware) you still been hold back by un/necessity updates from your OS/VGA unless you run dual OS boot / 2 pc spec which need to be upgraded every three years in order to be supported by hardware vendor.
Shrug, but whatever enjoy your three years $4200 of hardware.
N4CC0of.jpg

vyo1EQk.jpg

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I don't think Strikers is that great of a game. But it does do a great job of giving more screen time to the cast. But the story is a rehash of P5 and the gameplay is extremely repetitive and quickly became boring. If you have held out this long you can wait for a bigger sale.
Yeah I'm not a fan of muso games, feels like just mashing buttons.

GreatnessRD

So far looking at

Fire Pro Wrestling: World
Horizon Zero Dawn - Not my type of game, but trying to be more open-minded about things, lol

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Thinking of getting a smallish indie game to casually play after work (aka, I'm too tired to play something intensive), any feedback on any of these:

Legend of Keepers: Career of a Dungeon Manager
Deck of Ashes
DungeonTop
Banners of Ruin
Tainted Grail: Conquest
I'd highly, highly recommend Gordian Quest. Very deep deckbuilder game with lots of variety and polish.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
F8tdUAb.png

Just catching up on old remakes and boomer shooters I've been eyeing for a while! Not pulled the trigger yet. Still deciding whether to ask permission or beg forgiveness.
Just a heads-up, Bioshock Remastered is known for random crashes on PC.
If the game crashes on you, some possible fixes are turning off Steam overlay and turning off reverb in the game setting.

I managed to beat the game twice on PC, but it did crash a few times and costed me progress.

Bakkus

Bought a few games, but most of these are lame discounts. I am in no rush to play any of these games that are on 10-40% which I already don't own. Ori and The Will of the Wisps' price is just laughable. The 50% discount price is what the game should be priced at regularly!

Skifi28

Most prices are the same as always, pretty much as expected with modern steam sales. It's hard to believe we live in times where I find better deals on the playstation store. I did pick up Just cause 3 though which was dirt cheap, so good for me I guess.

Top Bottom