• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2021 |OT| Let me tell you a story... [24th of June - 8th of July]

Paperboy

Most prices are the same as always, pretty much as expected with modern steam sales. It's hard to believe we live in times where I find better deals on the playstation store. I did pick up Just cause 3 though which was dirt cheap, so good for me I guess.
That's a slightly harsh statement, there are 8,381 games at a historical low price right now.

Hydroxy

Shit sales again.
Publisher weekly sales usually have better deals than these seasonal sales. Companies actually reduce their discount % during these big sales. Scummy and which is why many games aren't at their historical lows.
Some games I wanted aren't even on sale. Ori and Blind Forest isn't on sale for example.

Paasei

It's been like this for years now. Steam summer sales used to be incredible and it generated excitement by anticipating those flash sales.

In fact, I believe the weak sales we see now are a result of Valve/Publishers capitalizing on that amazing legacy. No matter how small the discounts, people will hype up the event and come with open wallets. Sales are no deeper than what we see on and off all year.

I believe the same thing happened with Black Friday, retailers realized the events reputation alone is enough to get people to line up and get into a spending frenzy, so they stopped doing insane sales.
I think you are right. Myself for an example would want to give Horizon a try on PC. The mouse aiming alone is reason enough for me. But this game is on a discount once every 2 months or so and also on GoG (my preferred platform).
I have the platinum trophy on PS4, but the 60fps and mouse aiming are in a sense worth it for me. Just not for 25 to 30 bucks, still. And that for a discount.

It is like you said: The summer sale is no longer any special or bigger. It is just a period when more games than usual are on a discount. It just all just hype. And I am no longer falling for it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
These sales have been terrible for nearly a decade. I'm glad they've become far less of an event in gaming communities now, too. The sales now come and go with a whimper.

Excess

Figured I'd buy Horizon Zero Dawn. I have all settings maxed out on Ultra at 4K/60.

Honestly, this game on PC looks just as good as what we saw in the trailer for the sequel on console.

Greedfall was my #1 get for this sale basically they had announced Elex 2 and there are some good mods. Lo and behold I get notification today that next week they are doing a Gold version AND new DLC out of no where. So i guess a win-win.
Siora and Siora only for companionship.
Can't speak for the entire series, but I HIGHLY suggest Dawn of War 2. It's excellent. I'm not a big RTS guy in general and found DoW2 to be a good time. A buddy bought it for me and pitied me into playing it and we had a great time co-op. So much so that I actually reinstalled in recently to try and convince some of MY buddies to pick it up for some co-op action.
I was playing the original Metro 2033 and there's a trailer for the Chaos Rising expansion in it. New mechanic of corruption and enemy units, it looked and sounded fantastic but Warhammer games aren't my thing.
F8tdUAb.png

Just catching up on old remakes and boomer shooters I've been eyeing for a while! Not pulled the trigger yet. Still deciding whether to ask permission or beg forgiveness.
You bought three walking simulators? Guess one wasn't enough lol.
Just a heads-up, Bioshock Remastered is known for random crashes on PC.
If the game crashes on you, some possible fixes are turning off Steam overlay and turning off reverb in the game setting.

I managed to beat the game twice on PC, but it did crash a few times and costed me progress.
That's a load of bull. Poured 150 hours into it and didn't experience a single crash once. The only problem I had was when first booting it up and was faced with a black screen. I'm still puzzled when people say it was a bad and unstable port.

CitizenZ

Banned
Okay now I'm done :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Under $4 too

Never played a TT game before, and was surprised to see this as I thought they went under or whatever. Glad somebody bought 'em.

I like werewolves.

Wolf Man Reaction GIF by moodman

Probably the #1 TT game for me but damn so many good titles. Not for the gameplay, the story telling.

Under $4 too

Never played a TT game before, and was surprised to see this as I thought they went under or whatever. Glad somebody bought 'em.

I like werewolves.

Clocked 50 hours into this title. It's engaging due to the source material but be wary about the false sense of choice. Game isn't as dynamic as it wants to appear.

Edit: Even administrator EviLore agrees with me. A prime example of false choice is at Lily's funeral, no matter what approach you take with Tweedledick and Tweedledouche, they'll still shoot-up the place regardless!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Figured I'd buy Horizon Zero Dawn. I have all settings maxed out on Ultra at 4K/60.

Honestly, this game on PC looks just as good as what we saw in the trailer for the sequel on console.
What pc do you have to run the game at 4k60 ultra?!

Last edited:
Man, Steam sales suck these days. Just went through some of my wish list and it’s mediocre discounts everywhere.
Yep, right about the time they stopped the Daily Deals, it all went to shit. Steam sales are barely better than console sales now.
Yeah, it’s sucks. Steam salsa used to be amazing. I remember getting relatively new games for super cheap. PSN half the time has cheaper prices then steam now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Downloading Armageddon Empire for $8 cdn (on deal). Never tried it but looks like an old school turnbased game I'd like. Also bought for $5 (not on deal), some quirky Chess Mega Bundle indie game which is chess with 100 different boards and variants. Worth $5 to goof around with. Also for $3 Cinemaware Collection. I just want to play TV Sports Basketball (archaic gameplay but I like the stats and killing the AI). I would had just played the freeware version, but it comes with the Amiga version too which has beter sound. Worth $3 to dick around with again. All in, $17 cdn.

Save 30% on Armageddon Empires on Steam (steampowered.com)

Chess Mega Bundle on Steam (steampowered.com)

Save 70% on Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 on Steam (steampowered.com)

ssringo

Stumbled across this gem of a game. Great Resident Evil knock off and highly recommended for fans of the franchise (especially the older ones). A good 5-6 hour game for cheap.

If you're not sure you want to drop $5 then try the demo for the sequel. It builds on what's in the first game but will give you an idea of how the game plays.

Last edited:
It really annoys me that Steam allows games to be placed in multiple bundles where the bundles plus the separate DLC's are more expensive than buying the complete / GOTY editions of those games individually. Or how a bundle with the word "Collection" doesn't feature the "complete your collection" discount. I'm over here doing math trying to figure out which combination of which games and or bundles are the cheapest, bleh.

Think I'm going with:
  • Middle Earth: Shadow Of War - Definitive Edition
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - Premium Edition
  • Quantum Break
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
  • Resident Evil 4/5/6
  • Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories
  • Call of Cthulhu
For a total of €100.02

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Under $4 too

I like werewolves.

TT Games is the second best game that i play .

The menu theme and the intro episode are amazing

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
That's a load of bull. Poured 150 hours into it and didn't experience a single crash once. The only problem I had was when first booting it up and was faced with a black screen. I'm still puzzled when people say it was a bad and unstable port.
It happened to me and many others, it's not bullshit.

And I did say in the post you quoted that the problem is manageable, and that I was able to complete this version twice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Stumbled across this gem of a game. Great Resident Evil knock off and highly recommended for fans of the franchise (especially the older ones). A good 5-6 hour game for cheap.

If you're not sure you want to drop $5 then try the demo for the sequel. It builds on what's in the first game but will give you an idea of how the game plays.

Thanks for this recommendation. I bought it as a gift to my friend, who loves RE.

Ryu Kaiba

How retarded is it that steam doesnt sync the cart between computers. Using the app to add things to cart then switching to the PC and there's nothing in there or on the website.

in 2021

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was on the fence about Nioh. It popped up on Newegg for slightly cheaper ($12.49) so I took the plunge

Holammer

Two days left of the sale, made my last purchases, probably.
Had my eyes on many of them, like Sir Lovelot and Super Hydorah.

Also grabbed Hylics, Micro Mages & The Basement Collection previously.

Ryu Kaiba

Two days left of the sale, made my last purchases, probably.
Had my eyes on many of them, like Sir Lovelot and Super Hydorah.

Also grabbed Hylics, Micro Mages & The Basement Collection previously.
I too grabbed Final Fantasy XIV, everyone else jumping in makes me wonder why I don't at least try it. I love Final Fantasy and have heard this called the best one in years.
My library, New additions highlighted new:
dtAhuEi.png

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I bought Valheim in the sale, heard good things about it..

What a cracking game! Instantly hooked! Been a while since thats happend.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wanted to try ff14 but everytime i check the gameplay and i see that "mmorpg combat style" i puke in my mouth a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Aw man, I've been on the fence on the sale since I'm trying to work through my backlog.

But goddamn, I'm currently doing my first proper playthrough of FALLOUT NEW VEGAS and I just can't help but like I want to get FALLOUT 4 on sale.

Something about FNV isn't itching my sense of wonder, though it is scratching my story choice and consequences itch.

Even with all the mods, FNV just looks rough. And I'm really annoyed that companions in FNV do very very little talking, despite where I am or what I do.

To put into context, country is in full lockdown since the past 2 months and I need to feel like i have places to explore, people to meet, and people to talk to on my journey.

FNV feels so lonely at times 😥

Downloading Armageddon Empire for $8 cdn (on deal). Never tried it but looks like an old school turnbased game I'd like. Also bought for $5 (not on deal), some quirky Chess Mega Bundle indie game which is chess with 100 different boards and variants. Worth $5 to goof around with. Also for $3 Cinemaware Collection. I just want to play TV Sports Basketball (archaic gameplay but I like the stats and killing the AI). I would had just played the freeware version, but it comes with the Amiga version too which has beter sound. Worth $3 to dick around with again. All in, $17 cdn.

Save 30% on Armageddon Empires on Steam (steampowered.com)

Chess Mega Bundle on Steam (steampowered.com)

Save 70% on Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 on Steam (steampowered.com)
If you like Armageddon Empire, you may love Shadow Empire which is effing brilliant.

Fbh

Gold Member
Did the PC port of Nioh 2 ever get improved or do you still need surprisingly strong hardware to get to 60fps?

Nico_D

Got Root Letter and P4G. The latter mostly for my daughter but who knows. I thought P5 was far too long and I'm afraid P4 is the same.

Top Bottom