• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

iifu

Neo Member
Sold everything but my gold mine stocks and Nintendo. I see no reason not to assume that this is nothing more than a bear market rally.

kathode

Woo! Set a limit order on my AXP puts and left for coffee, thinking it wouldn't hit. Came back and it had triggered five minutes to close, netting me 25% on the money.

GhaleonEB

INTC - my employer - just smoked expectations big time. $650m profit, $.11 EPS. CEO says the sector bottomed in Q1 and "returning to normal seasonal patterns".

I've been stockpiling shares since our stock is in the gutter. Hopefully that pays off.

Edit: and we're down 4% after hours. Gotta love short sellers; in my five years with Intel, our stock has only gone up a couple time after earnings, regardless of the results. :lol

Tideas said:
I hope the market can get down to the high 6000s again. I forgot to jump in last time and now I'm regretting it

IMO, I don't think we will see the high 6000s again.

When the market hit the high 6000s, I bought like crazy and am reaping the benefits. My speculative stock has nearly quadrupled since first purchased.

I always liked Buffet's advice on investing: "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful."

GhaleonEB said:
INTC - my employer - just smoked expectations big time. $650m profit, $.11 EPS. CEO says the sector bottomed in Q1 and "returning to normal seasonal patterns".

I've been stockpiling shares since our stock is in the gutter. Hopefully that pays off.

Edit: and we're down 4% after hours. Gotta love short sellers; in my five years with Intel, our stock has only gone up a couple time after earnings, regardless of the results. :lol

That's great news to hear about Intel beating expectations. It sets the stage for the tech sector to rally.

I always expect some profit taking in AH or some short sellers after an awesome earnings report. :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
GhaleonEB said:

GIVE US INSIDER INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haucts21 said:
I always expect some profit taking in AH or some short sellers after an awesome earnings report.

Well, there's two things going on:

1) Stocks have been up massively and we're overbought.
2) Intel's guidance is disappointed a bit. They think PC sales have bottomed but the outlook is still very cloudy and they aren't willing to get specific.

Zyzyxxz

GhaleonEB said:

I'm reporting you to the SEC for insider trading!

Well not really.

kathode

ABT looks like they had some bad news in their earnings and dropped around 3.5%, although bouncing off the bottom for the moment. Looking to take my 20% and run.

Edit: ...aaaand I'm out! :D

RSTEIN

tarius1210 said:
That's why I never post anything about Marvel.

Why don't you participate in the Greg Land threads? :D

Sold my BBY, IRM and FO puts for about 20% each. I'm long OIL, WMT, BA, S, GD, CPB and short BBY.

RSTEIN

What an annoying day!

I loosened up my stops because of this craziness. I had a stop on S at $3.90. It hit $3.91 and I noticed the market was going higher. I took the stop off and now S is up like 3%! My OIL is going up and down like a yoyo. AMZN is stuck at 74 and hasn't budged for like 2 hours.

Last Hope

I think Amazon's rally since their earning report a few months ago is amazing. I was in and out when it was at $40 but unfortunately I took my money out before it started its amazing gains.

RSTEIN

Yeah, today and tomorrow are important for my AMZN trade.

You can see it broke its triangle (two orange lines, bottom one is dotted) and is now sitting on resistance. If it breaks this resistance I'll have to get out of the trade.

iw0pjs.jpg

Zyzyxxz

OMG I just bought 500 more shares of Citi to average down.

I don't know why but I'm expecting good news Friday.

Oh lawd if Friday is bad don't expect to see me for a few days.

Ovid

Zyzyxxz said:
OMG I just bought 500 more shares of Citi to average down.

I don't know why but I'm expecting good news Friday.

Oh lawd if Friday is bad don't expect to see me for a few days.

:lol

Good Luck

sedaku

Once this Friday is over it is going to be really interesting. I suspect some drastic market behavior. Hey might even happen before Friday.

Cannot wait:lol :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/15/news/companies/citigroup_quarter/index.htm?postversion=2009041603

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The latest crop of quarterly numbers from the banking industry has proven promising so far. But with every harvest, there's always bound to be a few rotten apples in the bunch.

This quarter, it's likely to once again be Citigroup.

Analysts predict that the embattled bank will be one of only a few major financial institutions to record a net loss this quarter. Citigroup is scheduled to deliver its first-quarter results before Friday's opening bell.

According to current consensus estimates from Thomson Reuters, Wall Street is forecasting a loss of $1.39 billion, or 34 cents a share.

If Citigroup does post a loss, it would be the sixth consecutive quarter of red ink. The New York City-based bank has lost more than $28 billion since the credit markets began to unravel in late 2007.

But shares of Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), which briefly traded below $1 a share in early March, have soared in recent weeks along with the rest of the banking sector. The stock was trading at about $3.80 as of Wednesday afternoon.

Part of the rise can be attributed to relatively impressive results across the rest of the industry. Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500) blew past Wall Street estimates when it reported a profit of $1.8 billion earlier this week. Last week, Wells Fargo said it anticipated a profit of $3 billion this quarter, much more than expected.

Citigroup has also signaled to Wall Street that its own fortunes may be improving. Last month, Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit wrote in an internal memo to the company's staff that the bank was profitable during the first two months of 2009.

A modest improvement in capital markets activity, a surge in mortgage refinancings and a massive gap between the rates at which banks borrow money and make loans should be a huge boon for banks like Citigroup and rivals such as JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) and Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500).
0:00 /4:49Roubini's 'bad banks' solution

So why are expectations on Wall Street for the bank to report a loss? For one thing, analysts remain concerned about Citigroup's ongoing exposure to home equity, credit cards and other consumer-related loans, which continue to deteriorate as the recession drags on and more people find themselves out of work.

"[Loan] losses will be up across the board given the mixture of a slowing economy, rising unemployment and real estate continuing to devalue," said Barclays Capital analyst Jason Goldberg.

Citigroup's decision to bulk up its reserves for future loan losses to the tune of $6 billion proved devastating last quarter. The company recorded an overall net loss of $8.3 billion.

But some worry that Citigroup may not be as aggressive enough this time around. By scaling back on the money set aside for bad loans, Citi's results would appear a bit rosier, but it could leave the company ill-prepared to cope with future loan losses.

David Trone of Fox-Pitt Kelton Cochran Caronia warned clients last week that he expected provisions this quarter to shrink to about $4 billion, while charge-offs, or loans a company doesn't believe are collectable, will climb to $7 billion.

Ovid

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- JPMorgan Chase & Co., the second- largest U.S. bank by assets, reported profit for the first quarter that beat analysts’ estimates on record investment- banking revenue.

Earnings fell 10 percent to $2.14 billion, or 40 cents a share, compared with $2.37 billion, or 68 cents, a year earlier, the New York-based bank said today in a statement. Per-share profit was expected to be 32 cents, according to the average estimate of 18 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.

JPMorgan’s market value has almost doubled in the past month on speculation the bank’s profit slide will slow with the easing of the global credit crunch. Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon, 53, helped spark the rally when he said the company was profitable in January and February. Goldman Sachs Group Inc., the sixth-largest U.S. bank, reported earnings April 13 that were twice as high as analysts estimated.

“They’re taking market share in almost every one of their businesses,” Jason Goldberg, an analyst at Barclays Plc in New York, said before earnings were released. “They’re still open for business and aggressively marketing and making loans,” said Goldberg, who rates the shares “overweight.”

JPMorgan’s acquisition of Bear Stearns Cos. last year eliminated a competitor for investment-banking fees and helped boost the firm’s commodities trading and prime brokerage businesses. The September acquisition of Washington Mutual Inc. is adding to earnings by expanding the reach of the retail and commercial banks in regions including the U.S. West Coast.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=abM9WnXSYcC0&refer=home

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know if C is going to post a profit, but it's going to beat expectations. I know this. Okay, so I'm more like praying for this.

Maybe I will get out Friday morning :lol

JPM's doing mixed in premarket. Was down, now is up a little. Seems like the recent price drive up was driven by people thinking it'd do even better? Seems like it did okay to me.

sangreal said:
They report in the morning I believe

They're only as early as my browser clicks are fast!

sangreal

Y2Kev said:
I don't know if C is going to post a profit, but it's going to beat expectations. I know this. Okay, so I'm more like praying for this.

Maybe I will get out Friday morning :lol

They report in the morning I believe

Kifimbo

RSTEIN said:
Where's Ether Snake? Activision up big time...

He might post this.

Activision Blizzard's March Quarter Net Revenues and Earnings Tracking Ahead of Prior Outlook

SANTA MONICA, Calif., April 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Due to the better-than-expected performance of its titles at retail, Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that its March quarter net revenues and earnings per diluted share are tracking ahead of the company's prior outlook. On February 11, 2009, the company provided an outlook for the March quarter of $860 million in GAAP net revenues and GAAP earnings per diluted share of $0.08. On a non-GAAP basis, on February 11, 2009, the company provided an outlook of $550 million in net revenues and earnings per diluted share of $0.03.

"Global consumer response to the Call of Duty(R) and Guitar Hero(R) franchises and Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft(R) remains strong despite the challenging economic environment," said Robert Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. "We exceeded our quarterly financial goals as the video game market continues to grow and our franchises continue to perform. This bodes well for our upcoming spring titles Transformers(TM): Revenge of the Fallen, X-Men Origins: Wolverine(TM) and Ice Age(TM): Dawn of the Dinosaurs, which are inspired by theatrical feature films releases, Prototype(TM), a new intellectual property, and the release of Guitar Hero Smash Hits(TM) as well as continued sales of our recently released Guitar Hero Metallica(R) game."

Separately today, Blizzard Entertainment announced that World of Warcraft(R) will be licensed to an affiliated company of NetEase.com, Inc. in mainland China following the expiration of its current license agreement.

Kotick added, "Regarding Blizzard Entertainment's announcement earlier today, planning is well underway for the World of Warcraft transition to NetEase. We believe this new relationship will promote a consistent level of quality and service in mainland China for each of the games that Blizzard Entertainment is partnering with NetEase on, including Warcraft(R) III and StarCraft(R) II, as announced last year. In addition, we believe this new relationship positions us well for the long-term, and despite the near-term impact of the transition, we are reaffirming our calendar 2009 financial outlook."

On February 11, 2009, Activision Blizzard provided a calendar year outlook on a GAAP basis of $4.2 billion in net revenues and earnings per diluted share of $0.22 and on a non-GAAP basis of $4.7 billion in net revenues and earnings per diluted share of $0.61.

Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Blizzard, Inc. is a worldwide online, PC, console and handheld game publisher with leading market positions across every major category of the rapidly growing interactive entertainment software industry.

Activision Blizzard maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, India, Russia, South Korea, China and the region of Taiwan. More information about Activision Blizzard and its products can be found on the company's website, .

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah just saw that. Not surprised, but I'm not planning to sell ATVI any time soon really. Too much good things ahead (SC2, D3, new MMO eventually, then CoD, more GH stuff, some racing game yet to be announced, etc.).

They are in a much better position than EA, who I am sure will make another bet for TTWO, now that they pretty much failed at turning around without them. Dante's Inferno is shaping up to be another new IP that won't sell, and it looked like crap. They got nothing. All they can do is buy more studios.

Ovid

Do you think it would be a good idea to pick up LUV while it's down (for the long term of course)? Although I do like JBLU's cash flow.

So I see Sun went crawling back to IBM. What a joke.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
An analyst cut his profit estimates Thursday for Honeywell International Inc., saying the diversified manufacturer's markets are more difficult than he initially expected.

HON up 3% :lol

and BHI up 5.4%

TTWO suddenly ralied, up 5%. Probably Pachter reading my posts:p I wanted to get in if it kept falling.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
HON up 3% :lol

and BHI up 5.4%

TTWO suddenly ralied, up 5%. Probably Pachter reading my posts:p I wanted to get in if it kept falling.
I'll pick up HON sometime in the near future. My next big purchase will be CVS.

Nicodimas

Banned
And some readers call Zero Hedge pessimistic.

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- David Tice, the chief portfolio strategist for bear markets at Federated Investors Inc., said the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index will probably plunge about 62 percent.

He spoke during a Bloomberg Television interview today. The Federated Prudent Bear Fund that he founded returned 6.7 percent last year as the S&P 500 plunged 38 percent, the most since 1937.

Tice said the benchmark index for U.S. stocks may slump to about 325. It closed today at 865.30. The measure has surged 28 percent since March 9, the most in five weeks since the 1930s.

http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/

That is past the Black Hole number<sub 500 S& P> where healthy companies start going bankrupt.

argon

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=asvrkI.0c5Ps&refer=japan

bloomberg said:
Nintendo Shares Fall After March Wii Sales in U.S. Drop 17%
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Hiroshi Suzuki

April 17 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world’s largest maker of handheld game machines, fell the most in more than two months in Osaka trading after U.S. sales of its Wii video-game console declined for the first time in 14 months.

Nintendo lost 5.2 percent to 26,580 yen as of the 11 a.m. trading break on the Osaka Securities Exchange, dropping the most since Feb. 2. It was the third-biggest drag on the MSCI Asia-Pacific Index, while Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average gained 2.2 percent.

March sales of the world’s most-popular console fell 17 percent from a year earlier to 601,000 players, Port Washington, New York-based NPD Group said yesterday in an e-mailed statement.

“The severe sales result in the U.S. prompted disappointment among investors,” said Shigeo Kikuchi, an analyst at Takagi Securities Co. in Tokyo. “Nintendo had been perceived as one of the winners.”

Severe sales :lol 601k Wii and 563k DS is still amazing for a non-holiday month. Nintendo can't catch a break!

gkryhewy

Zyzyxxz said:
"Nintendo had been perceived as one of the winners." :lol

I don't get why the investors are worried, the market has been saturated by Nintendo enough as it is. Its finally time their sales began to slow down.

It's never a good thing to miss expectations. They need massive US sales to compensate for lower Japanese sales - the stock had already been beaten up because of negative Iwata comments on Japan. Now frankly, I don't think this is an issue with nintendo - I thought all of the NPD numbers were lower than expectations - certainly my expectations - and are probably indicative of a consumer spending drawback finally hitting gaming to some extent.

Stock down 7% last night on the nikkei - sigh, should have sold at christmas when NTDOY got back to ~50. Oh well.

Anyone know when earnings are?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
C, -.18 EPS. Beats expectations. Looks like they might have been profitable if not for some stock conversion. Either way, train is about to pull into the station I daresay.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Y2Kev said:
C, -.18 EPS. Beats expectations. Looks like they might have been profitable if not for some stock conversion. Either way, train is about to pull into the station I daresay.
Fuuuuck... Been waiting for this report to buy into C but now they're just going to shoot up.

On the plus side GE should be heading higher as well. :p Glad I re-upped yesterday morning.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/17/news/companies/citigroup/index.htm?postversion=2009041706

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Citigroup surprised Wall Street Friday as the company delivered its first profit in more than a year, helped by strength within its investment banking division.

The company reported net income of $1.6 billion during the first quarter, up from a loss of $5.1 billion a year ago. Yet, on a per share basis, the company reported a loss of 18 cents a share, reflecting the conversion price of a $12.5 billion preferred share offering from January 2008.

Many on Wall Street were anticipating that the New York City-based bank would report its sixth consecutive quarterly loss. Projections were for Citigroup to report a loss of $1.39 billion, or 34 cents a share.

Since the credit markets began to unravel in late 2007, the company has posted net losses of more than $28 billion.

Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit said he was "pleased" with the firm's performance this quarter, but offered a cautious outlook.

"While we and the industry face challenges in the coming quarters as we work through the weak economy, we will remain focused on strengthening the Citi franchise," he said in a statement.

Shares of Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), which have soared in recent weeks along with the rest of the banking sector, were nearly 2% higher in pre-market trading Friday.

Citi's earnings surprise is the latest bit of positive news from large banks. Over the past week, JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500), Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500) and investment bank Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500) all reported better-than-expected profits during the first three months of the year.

Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) is the next big bank due to report its first quarter results. It is scheduled to release them on Monday

Meier

Ugh..stupid profit takers. :*( C got over 4.80 in the pre-market but has come crashing back down.

argon said:
Severe sales :lol 601k Wii and 563k DS is still amazing for a non-holiday month. Nintendo can't catch a break!
It's ironic, before the Wii, if any system ahd sold that many units outside of Q4, there would be rejoicing of epic proportions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO down 5%, moreso than ATVI and ERTS. Might get in in the near future. One day or another, these guys are getting bought, and at more than 9$ a share:p

Ether_Snake said:
TTWO down 5%, moreso than ATVI and ERTS. Might get in in the near future. One day or another, these guys are getting bought, and at more than 9$ a share:p
I don't know about that. TTWO seems to want to keep floating the idea of selling themselves and then reneging like a cheap whore.

They would not sell in the current market environment I don't think. How many of the original founders are still with the company?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheKingsCrown said:
I don't know about that. TTWO seems to want to keep floating the idea of selling themselves and then reneging like a cheap whore.

They would not sell in the current market environment I don't think. How many of the original founders are still with the company?

They would sell if EA made the same offer again. Not gonna happen, but they will sell, they already refused the 25$ offer from EA and made themselves look like fools when the shares dropped to 6$. As soon as they show another sign of weakness they'll have no choice but to accept a bid.

Top Bottom