• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Anno

Groupon priced its IPO at $20, valuing it at almost $13billion. That's insane. Anyone who got in on the initial shares is going to make insane bank and anyone who buys it in the open market is a chump.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anno said:
Groupon priced its IPO at $20, valuing it at almost $13billion. That's insane. Anyone who got in on the initial shares is going to make insane bank and anyone who buys it in the open market is a chump.

Facebook has yet to make an IPO, yet Groupon, which I never used in my life nor know what it does nor know anyone who ever used it or talked about it, are going for a $13 billion IPO. lol. Not touching this with a billion foot pole.

RevoDS

Ether_Snake said:
Facebook has yet to make an IPO, yet Groupon, which I never used in my life nor know what it does nor know anyone who ever used it or talked about it, are going for a $13 billion IPO. lol. Not touching this with a billion foot pole.
It's pretty obvious by now that there's a massive social media bubble. Just look at LNKD for proof. It isn't consistently profitable, yet it's going for an insane $8.3 billion valuation.

Facebook and Zynga might be the only truly good companies in the social media lot, but they're not yet public and whenever they do, they'll trade at such ridiculous multiples that investing in them will still be an incredibly stupid decision until that bubble finally bursts. Either way, it won't be pretty except for those who hold it for extremely short periods of time, trading on variations.

Rubenov

GRPN will make a good first day play (buy sometime in the am and sell before close). Other than that, not an investment.

Also, yeah NFLX EXPLODED today. It has burned so many shorts is not even funny. That said, now I'm only down 22% on it :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Rubenov said:
GRPN will make a good first day play (buy sometime in the am and sell before close). Other than that, not an investment.

Also, yeah NFLX EXPLODED today. It has burned so many shorts is not even funny. That said, now I'm only down 22% on it :p

No, there is no guarantee that you would make any money doing that. It's impossible to predict how it will behave in one day.

Rubenov

Ether_Snake said:
No, there is no guarantee that you would make any money doing that. It's impossible to predict how it will behave in one day.

96% of IPOs since 2008 rose during the first day.

Edit: But yeah nothing is certain in the stock market.

Karak

Today was an amazing amazing day.
IJJP made me over 4,000 and PEIX made me $2790. Started it on all 2,000 in September. I admit I left Options-house and went back to Ameritrade. Its a bit more for the trades but the updates are way faster and that helps with the smaller spreads for the cheaper stocks.

I am so stoked. Its been such a great trading year on less than a dollar stocks.
Can't wait till tomorrow. IJJP is set for a positive announcement and PEIX is climbing like a beast every day.

Zyzyxxz

Rubenov said:

Glad I got in at 77 but sad I only took a tiny position

I had purchased 200 shares of PANL for 48.49 about 5 days ago in anticipation of next weeks earnings report with a stop at 40.00, so I was itching to cancel the stop order as PANL went down to as low as 40.93 today. Luckily, it didn't fall below 40 and honestly, if I had funds left in my account I would've bought some since I figured the price would eventually stabilize. Could've made 7% as it went back up to 44.41 (-0.4%).

CrankyJay

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
I had purchased 200 shares of PANL for 48.49 about 5 days ago in anticipation of next weeks earnings report with a stop at 40.00, so I was itching to cancel the stop order as PANL went down to as low as 40.93 today. Luckily, it didn't fall below 40 and honestly, if I had funds left in my account I would've bought some since I figured the price would eventually stabilize. Could've made 7% as it went back up to 44.41 (-0.4%).

Fuck yes, I bought at 41.79 yesterday and it's shooting up! Past 50 already.

TylerD

Fun watching Groupon's IPO occur in real time. Offered at 20, opened at $28 spiked to $31 and down to around 27 right now.

CrankyJay

Banned
TylerD said:
Fun watching Groupon's IPO occur in real time. Offered at 20, opened at $28 spiked to $31 and down to around 27 right now.

Not sure why anyone would buy this unless Google makes another offer for them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dudeworld said:
it ends next week? NOOOOOOOOOOO

I edited the game now, it will end December 23:

Those who want to join can join here: http://simulator.investopedia.com/Game/JoinGame.aspx?GID=151241&AUTO=Y

We'll start a new game next year:)

edit: oh please be true, someone buy STP so I can reduce my loses:p

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011...eedType=RSS&feedName=GCA-GreenBusiness&rpc=43

The world's third-biggest handset vendor had considered buying Suntech but put the matter on the back burner due to its lackluster earnings and worsening business conditions in the solar industry, online news outlet Money Today said.

"The report is merely groundless," an LG spokesman said.

The report came a day after LG Electronics announced a $945 million stock offering to shore up its loss-making smartphone business, which sent its share price down 14 percent on dilution fears.

CrankyJay

Banned
PANL is a rock star today. I guess people are buying in before Tuesday's 5pm earning's announcement.

Holding onto 70 shares right now.

Yeah I'm up 8% with PANL. I wish I hadn't rushed into the stock at almost 49 but it was due to a stupid mistake on my part. I thought their earnings were going to be reported last week, so I bought it thinking I would only have to wait 3 days until they reported. But I was off by 1 whole week. So dumb. Oh well, I'm hoping they reach at least 60 by the time earnings are reported.

CrankyJay

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
Yeah I'm up 8% with PANL. I wish I hadn't rushed into the stock at almost 49 but it was due to a stupid mistake on my part. I thought their earnings were going to be reported last week, so I bought it thinking I would only have to wait 3 days until they reported. But I was off by 1 whole week. So dumb. Oh well, I'm hoping they reach at least 60 by the time earnings are reported.

Originally it was supposed to be Oct. 31st.

My boss has been bugging me about PANL for a year. I could have bought in at 23 but kept blowing him off. I'm obviously kicking myself now.

CrankyJay

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
Ahh yeah there was definitely an uptrend to the stock after it hit 28. Hey, you're still up by a lot. Are you going long with PANL?

I think so...I'm scared at the volatility of it but people keep saying this could be a $200-300 stock in 2-5 years once OLED saturates the market.

That being said, I'm not sure if I should put stops along the way to sell off as it goes up.

And I have GAF to thank for bringing PANL to my attention! I only started actively trading 3 months ago, and only now do I feel comfortable enough to branch out into different companies (I had primarily been trading Apple and AMZN).

CrankyJay

Banned
I have a feeling Monday morning it may dip below 50 again for about 30 minutes or an hour in which case I'll buy a few more shares, and then it will rebound. If the earnings announcement are positive on Tuesday watch it sky rocket past last year's high and maybe even higher.

Rubenov

GRPN... LOL. Still up over 30% in a single day. Whoever got in on the initial offer must have made a bank; I hope they sold.

I don't like how AAPL has been behaving lately. It has been trading around the 400 range for over two weeks now, while the market has generally traded higher. I don't feel too good about its future stock growth opportunities. I feel a lot of investors have given up.

CrankyJay

Banned
Rubenov said:
GRPN... LOL. Still up over 30% in a single day. Whoever got in on the initial offer must have made a bank; I hope they sold.

I don't like how APPL has been behaving lately. It has been trading around the 400 range for over two weeks now, while the market has generally traded higher. I don't feel too good about its future stock growth opportunities. I feel a lot of investors have given up.

I think about it this way. Jobs was reportedly intimately involved with the iPad3 and iPhone5 design...all Apple has to do is advertise that these are the last Jobs devices and they'll sell like freaking gangbusters. After that I'd probably cash out. AAPL can top 500 in my opinion.

TylerD

Wow, after bitching earlier in the week that the closing of my old 401k still hadn't happened we just got an email that the IRS has signed off on it and we will be getting documentation about disbursement and roll-over options next week. I think I will just roll it over into a Vanguard IRA.

Would have been nice to have it finalized 5 months ago when my account was worth 13% more.

CrankyJay

Banned
TylerD said:
Wow, after bitching earlier in the week that the closing of my old 401k still hadn't happened we just got an email that the IRS has signed off on it and we will be getting documentation about disbursement and roll-over options next week. I think I will just roll it over into a Vanguard IRA.

Would have been nice to have it finalized 5 months ago when my account was worth 13% more.

Yeah, that sucks. I'm waiting to roll over my old 401k into something once it recoups a bit.

kathode

Rubenov said:

Up 30% from the initial offer. People who got in on the initial offer are locked in for two weeks. If you tried jumping in today, it would've been pretty difficult to end in the green.

Rubenov

^^kathode... didn't know people that got in the initial offer are locked in for two weeks. Too much of a gamble for sure.

Also, looks like the Greek saga continues, Papandreou won the confidence vote which means the bailout will likely go through. I loaded up on a little bit of TNA for the weekend expecting a surge Monday. If not, then I have my SPXU hedge which I will be able to sell for a profit.

I got to get into options man. Seems like I will be able to profit more than by day trading individual stocks. While I've made quite a bit of money, I'm also making E Trade rich. Lol

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
I think about it this way. Jobs was reportedly intimately involved with the iPad3 and iPhone5 design...all Apple has to do is advertise that these are the last Jobs devices and they'll sell like freaking gangbusters. After that I'd probably cash out. AAPL can top 500 in my opinion.

Much agree, demand for the iPhone is insane in Asia as I saw firsthand how many Chinese people both carry it and are selling it.

I swear in the electronic districts there are 100 shops selling cell phones, at least 1/3 sell the iphone and some of them exclusively as claimed authorized resellers.

Rubenov

Got me some AAPL yesterday, again. Seems like around 400 is the bottom no matter what, and even though it hasn't break out lately it is pretty safe and I agree with the 500 price target.

Zyzyxxz

Rubenov said:
Got me some AAPL yesterday, again. Seems like around 400 is the bottom no matter what, and even though it hasn't break out lately it is pretty safe and I agree with the 500 price target.

yup heavy resistance at the 400 zone so I don't see much potential downside.

Piecake

MWS Natural said:
Thanks for the 401k tips guys, so many options to choose from.

Well, for 401ks and roth iras, if you are overwhelmed with all of the options available to you, I think the best bet, 99% of the time, is to put it in the most broadly based index fund you can find. Those usually are the cheapest as well. It is just stupid how much money you save investing in a fund that has a .06 expense ratio compared to a 1.5% expense ratio in the long run.

Plus, broadly based indexs - like those that follow the whole stock market or at least the SP 500, usually do better than the actively managed accounts anyways.

If you switched to a Roth, I would totally do ETFs over mutual funds as well since those have lower expense ratios

daw840

Well, I have kind of an interesting situation here. My step father does very well in the stock market and my mom wanted to make sure that I had him as a resource to start investing. So, she set me up with $5k in a TD Ameritrade account and told me to have at it. If I lose it, no big deal, but she wants it back if/when I double it. I'm completely green to investing and this site is always a big help with everything, so I'm glad I found this thread!

daw840 said:
Well, I have kind of an interesting situation here. My step father does very well in the stock market and my mom wanted to make sure that I had him as a resource to start investing. So, she set me up with $5k in a TD Ameritrade account and told me to have at it. If I lose it, no big deal, but she wants it back if/when I double it. I'm completely green to investing and this site is always a big help with everything, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Read up on investing first, as you can follow two general styles. Fundamentalists think about industry trends, company earnings, economic indicators, etc. Then you have those who focus on technical analysis (purely price action patterns and price indicators). See which one you identify with the most, and learn about it.

However, the best advice is to talk to your step father, pick his brains, and tell him to show you the ropes. Learning by yourself is VERY costly some times.

CrankyJay

Banned
CrankyJay said:
I have a feeling Monday morning it may dip below 50 again for about 30 minutes or an hour in which case I'll buy a few more shares, and then it will rebound. If the earnings announcement are positive on Tuesday watch it sky rocket past last year's high and maybe even higher.

There it goes below 50. Now waiting for the rebound.

bwtw

Neo Member
Sanky Panky said:
Read up on investing first, as you can follow two general styles. Fundamentalists think about industry trends, company earnings, economic indicators, etc. Then you have those who focus on technical analysis (purely price action patterns and price indicators). See which one you identify with the most, and learn about it.

However, the best advice is to talk to your step father, pick his brains, and tell him to show you the ropes. Learning by yourself is VERY costly some times.

Also, find out how your step father is *actually* doing! How good is 'very well'?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah every time I heard someone tell me they knew someone who was doing great in the stock market, it was always false. One guy I know: EVERY ticker he recommended turned out to be bad investments. ALL of them. I found out he was basing his choices based on his father's, who was getting recommendations from some "investment adviser".

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh, looks like PANL is dropping off a cliff. Rethinking my plan of keeping this long term and just start playing the daily game of buying low and selling high. This stock is being manipulated from too many outside sources.

BigAT

Does anyone have any recommendations on books for beginners? I haven't invested before, but I'm looking to start now. I was an economics major so I have a solid idea on how markets work and don't need my hand to be held with basic concepts, I'm looking more for books with actual investment strategy education.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought some more CAE today. Had been a while since I added to it.

Rubenov

BigAT said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on books for beginners? I haven't invested before, but I'm looking to start now. I was an economics major so I have a solid idea on how markets work and don't need my hand to be held with basic concepts, I'm looking more for books with actual investment strategy education.

Look up Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor. It is old, but the basic premises of the book/investing remain the same.

Rubenov

CrankyJay said:
Heh, looks like PANL is dropping off a cliff. Rethinking my plan of keeping this long term and just start playing the daily game of buying low and selling high. This stock is being manipulated from too many outside sources.

Briefly saw that it was related to them not providing OLED panels to some kind of new tv... or something. I think the selling was overdone and it will come back up. Given that they are still reporting losses, however, it might be wise to look elsewhere for investments.

daw840

bwtw said:
Also, find out how your step father is *actually* doing! How good is 'very well'?

Well, my mother and him have more money than anyone I know. They have made a lot of it via the market, but realistically moreso from their jobs. They were both air traffic controllers making 130k/year approximately. Now they are both retired and my step father does consulting work for the FAA and trades stock during the day. I've been around when he is working on the computer, they took all 6 of us to Hawaii for a week all expenses paid and paid for it while we were there. He made $14k in a single trade for AAPL. Just the other day he made $20k on a single trade on the same stock. He seems to only trade in 3-4 stocks at a time. Made a lot in Ford for a while I remember. Past that I don't really know. I would say they are worth well into the 7 figure range. No debt except for 1 mortgage, the only reason they keep that around is because he can make more with that money in the market than the interest rate.

IDK, I really doubt my mother is inflating how well he does. I do know that he has a LOT to work with when he does trade which makes it look like he is making a ton of money, when percentage wise it's probably not huge. He's definitely up overall though.

Rubenov

Well, he's probably making a lot on single trades because he is betting A LOT at once. If you put say, 200k on AAPL at the days lows, chances are you can make 7k - 10k easily the same day once it gets higher intraday. Once you have been watching the stock market for a while, you can get pretty accurate at identifying the day's highs and lows.

I do this at a much lesser scale, for a profit of about 100 bucks a day :/

bwtw

Neo Member
daw840 said:
IDK, I really doubt my mother is inflating how well he does. I do know that he has a LOT to work with when he does trade which makes it look like he is making a ton of money, when percentage wise it's probably not huge. He's definitely up overall though.

% is what matters here and what you should find out. Absolute figures are largely irrelevant, as is being 'up' unless you can compare those results properly to the benchmark.

Top Bottom