• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Anyone got an opinion on whether or not I should hold my Boeing calls until tomorrow? They have earnings tomorrow AM. Or should losing my shirt on GOOG have taught me a lesson about playing earnings? :) Calls are up about 30% so just over a 10% gain for me at the moment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Up to you, take your gains to gamble them.

CGT down 4% on no news too. Argh!

Tarazet

nakedsushi said:
Okay guys, I'm trying to buy a mutual fund, AFJAX (Allianz), but although I buy more than the minimum value, it doesn't let me. I keep getting this message:

Other than the obvious contacting Schwab, what does that mean? Do I have to wait for someone to sell off their share? Did they run out?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for similar funds?

You could try AFJDX, which I have. It's almost identical. I bought it three months ago for my IRA and didn't have any issues with it then.

Affinity

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but this is a good thread. I started a fictional portfolio earlier last year, before the shit hit the fan. It was going good for a while but is down by a couple grand now. I'm glad I haven't invested yet, and plan to start in the fall (just graduated, starting a great career in sept.). I think right now is a good time to buy.

sonarrat said:
You could try AFJDX, which I have. It's almost identical. I bought it three months ago for my IRA and didn't have any issues with it then.

Sweet, thanks for the tip, bought it. I think my problem yesterday was that even though I transferred the funds from my checking account to my brokerage account (both through Schwab), it wasn't instantaneous.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone who bought AAPL this morning must be happy:)

Wasn't hit too hard today, but the solar sector is getting hurt sadly.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Ether_Snake said:
Anyone who bought AAPL this morning must be happy:)

Wasn't hit too hard today, but the solar sector is getting hurt sadly.
are Apple's fundamentals that strong? the economy is weakening and they'll be taking a hit next quarter introducing new products.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I know I meant anyone who bought this morning made almost 15$ a share by the end of the day.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well... I own approx $10,000 AT&T calls... contemplated selling them today near the close but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger. Not sure why, really. Earnings tomorrow morning. Could meet, stock falls. Could miss, stock falls. Could meet, lower guidance, stock falls. Could beat, raise guidance, stock will go up. Could raise dividend, could be good, depends on guidance.

Pray for me.

RSTEIN said:
Well... I own approx $10,000 AT&T calls... contemplated selling them today near the close but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger. Not sure why, really. Earnings tomorrow morning. Could meet, stock falls. Could miss, stock falls. Could meet, lower guidance, stock falls. Could beat, raise guidance, stock will go up. Could raise dividend, could be good, depends on guidance.

Pray for me.

You're a braver man than me for putting that much faith in AT&T. I got burned a few years ago, I'm never going back. Best of luck.

RSTEIN

AT&T met expectations, big numbers from wireless. Stock up 3.39% pre market... we'll see how it opens but I'll probably make $2-$3 thousand.

Wanace

Are you guys using brokers or online stock trading sites?

I've been looking to get into the market (probably using around 1-2k to start) but I'm overseas and my permanent address is in the United States, not sure how that might affect my desire to get started.

I'd like to trade online using etrade or sharebuilder or whatever, any recommendations?

kathode

I emphatically recommend against Sharebuilder. Just bottom barrel quality, and if you don't use their "planned" investing (i.e. it forces you to buy your stocks once a week at a specific time and you have to plan it out ahead of time), then it's more expensive than comparable brokers. I use Scottrade and like them a lot. Don't have a lot of experience with other brokers though.

Cryptozoologist said:
Are you guys using brokers or online stock trading sites?

I've been looking to get into the market (probably using around 1-2k to start) but I'm overseas and my permanent address is in the United States, not sure how that might affect my desire to get started.

I'd like to trade online using etrade or sharebuilder or whatever, any recommendations?

I don't have too much experience with sharebuilder, but I've been with E*Trade for about 10 years and they're great to work with. Awesome tools, commissions are decent, easy to work with if you have any problems. I'd recommend them.

kathode

My T calls dropped 7 cents at open :lol I'll see what they do today. I guess I bought a bad one (august 35) as it's still worth half what I paid.

My BA calls are down a bit but they're November so plenty of time for that stock to bounce back. Nothing like GOOG, that's for sure.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
My T calls dropped 7 cents at open :lol I'll see what they do today. I guess I bought a bad one (august 35) as it's still worth half what I paid.

My BA calls are down a bit but they're November so plenty of time for that stock to bounce back. Nothing like GOOG, that's for sure.

Well, your 35s are still out of the money. You have to let all the guys get out of the way. There was massive volume yesterday on all series that artifically increased the price. People were hedging themselves against today's earnings release and were willing to pay up for it.

Plus you're now <30 days to expiry. Time value will start decaying exponentially (known as theta decay).

kathode

RSTEIN said:
Well, your 35s are still out of the money. You have to let all the guys get out of the way. There was massive volume yesterday on all series that artifically increased the price. People were hedging themselves against today's earnings release and were willing to pay up for it.

Plus you're now <30 days to expiry. Time value will start decaying exponentially (known as theta decay).

Yep, they're continuing to fall. Looks like I'm going to have to bail :(

On the plus side my GE August $29s are just about to go into the money if the positive trend continues.

dionysus

Yaldog
avaya said:
BEZOS WINS.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Hmm, how did he get sales to jump 41%?

I am finally even for the year. Current holdings are C, SDA, CIB, GM, and HOV. For a while I was down 40% in 3 of those trades but the last 2 weeks have been excellent.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Woo! My GE calls sold for a 10% gain in the last 60 seconds of trading! Hooray!

I hope you hung on to your T? Once the hedgies finished selling the price started acting correctly... I sold out.

avaya

dionysus said:
Hmm, how did he get sales to jump 41%?

I do not know. All I know is my Amazon spending makes for 1/3 of my AMEX bill. It hasn't reduced. At all.

The company has amazing resistance to economic slowdown.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
I hope you hung on to your T? Once the hedgies finished selling the price started acting correctly... I sold out.

Yeah, I -hate- selling for a loss. I bought at .60. It was at something like .18 when I posted earlier. But during the day it actually got up to .40. I want to see if the upward momentum continues. It's just painful because at this point it will go up one single penny, and then you look and the ask is one penny higher, or sometimes even the same. Hard to get any sort of real movement going, but I guess that's the case when it's so close to the strike date.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Yeah, I -hate- selling for a loss. I bought at .60. It was at something like .18 when I posted earlier. But during the day it actually got up to .40. I want to see if the upward momentum continues.

Yeah, I hear you, but just be careful. The need to get even has burned many an investor. I think the upward momentum will continue. Maybe down tomorrow but the trend is now higher. The numbers were good, the Street liked it, raised targets, etc. etc. Pretty good showing in this crummy market. I sold out because a) I'm just a trader and b) just needed to reallocate my portfolio.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AMZN up 8% in AH (I don't own any).

I hope solar stocks will see a boost soon, I want to see STP go up!

ERTS is about to cross the 50$ range again. I'm always right on the damn video game market shares, too bad I don't invest in it enough:p

Chris R

Can anyone suggest the best site for fake investing? I do have some real money I will be investing in the future, but for now I'm just wanting to invest with spacebucks.

Thai

Bane was better.
anyone looking forward to POT's earnings tomorrow? I got 49 shares @ 200$, and I'm peeing my pants in anticipation. Quarterly financials are friggen like coin tosses nowadays.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IMMR is up 5% in after hours, probably on speculation that they somehow have something to do with Apple's next big secret product.

I doubt it.

Tarazet

Soka said:
Any thoughts on AHR? It was thrown around a while back in this thread, and I forget the general consensus on it, but it has been very interesting to me for a bit now (largely due to the allure of a high D/Y). Their next dividend payment should be around Oct. 31 (or possibly Nov. 31). Their 52-week low hit in early May, they're just around 7.20 now after a decent boost.

AHR is a dividend monster, would be a killer long-term investment for a retirement account.

Zyzyxxz

kathode said:
Anyone got an opinion on whether or not I should hold my Boeing calls until tomorrow? They have earnings tomorrow AM. Or should losing my shirt on GOOG have taught me a lesson about playing earnings? :) Calls are up about 30% so just over a 10% gain for me at the moment.

Don't take my advice heavily but from what I know Boeing may be a good stock to stick with for the long run.

They are getting good contracts in India and China where the airline industry is booming for them (especially since the Chinese government heavily subsidizes oil so their automotive market does well also).

Then don't forget Boeing also has the 787 making its first flight this year and Japan alone has already preordered a significant amount. I'm considering buying in but I'm low on cash and would need to sell something else.

Also they consistently pay out dividends but if you are trying to short this stock that may not matter

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow today is a slaughter.

I only see CELG and IMMR in the green for now on my watch list.

EDIT: GR is up big time too. BA down 5%.

kathode

Yeah I'm afraid to log into my account today :) BA will do ok long term I think. I have November calls so I am not terribly worried, although I would certainly like a faster profit than that. Right now I am considering going for zero-margin trading for a while. Unfortunately my GOOG play put me back in the red after a long period of gains.

NFLX is getting hurt today with the market conditions and being dumped by some investment fund. I'm considering making an earnings play as they report tomorrow AM, and I've heard good expectations for them. It's such a crapshoot though, I might stay away.

RSTEIN

Well... thank god I sold my AT&T calls at 1.45 yesterday... they hit 0.65 at one point today. I made 19% buying Norfolk Southern puts this morning (sold out in the aft) and also picked up some CVX (Chevron) calls. I also bought some more AMGN puts.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
Well... thank god I sold my AT&T calls at 1.45 yesterday... they hit 0.65 at one point today. I made 19% buying Norfolk Southern puts this morning (sold out in the aft) and also picked up some CVX (Chevron) calls. I also bought some more AMGN puts.

Yup, mine went down to .10 :) My target price at this point is .30.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft jumped almost 5%. Analysts saying there is potential for it reaching 80 euros. I am still wondering if I should buy some at a 15% discount in August.

dionysus

Yaldog
Ether_Snake said:
Ubisoft jumped almost 5%. Analysts saying there is potential for it reaching 80 euros. I am still wondering if I should buy some at a 15% discount in August.

Are you european? I am staying away from Euro stocks cause the exchange rate risk turns me off.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CRDN up 10%

Nope I'm not, but I work there so I pay attention to it. Been a really good stock I sadly don't own.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ATVID earnings next Thursday, ERTS next Wednesday.

EDIT: Forgot about KO, trading at 52 right now which is nice. NKE at 58.

kathode

That's kind of odd. I know with Scottrade I make the trade and then get a "trade confirmation" the next business day. So that's probably what they're waiting for. But it still tells me what the price I got was, and I don't recall any instance of that being different from the confirmation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
With RBC I just type how many shares, what price, and it goes through or it doesn't. I never use the "market price".

Top Bottom