• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

rvd2kewl

They (AAPL) blew away the numbers, especially with the number of iPhones sold, but that guidance leads me to think we're going to head down when trading resumes.

gkryhewy

rvd2kewl said:
They (AAPL) blew away the numbers, especially with the number of iPhones sold, but that guidance leads me to think we're going to head down when trading resumes.

Dropped to 90 right after trading resumed, now back up to 93.

kathode

AAPL up over 5% at the moment. Wonder if it will hold. Q1 guidance was spectacularly shitty, but maybe people are onto their "under-promise, over-deliver" game now.

Edit: Settling down a bit now? Will be interesting to see where it opens tomorrow.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm seeing AAPL -3.78% on Yahoo in AH, at 88. Where are you guys looking at your AH numbers?

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
I'm seeing AAPL -3.78% on Yahoo in AH, at 88. Where are you guys looking at your AH numbers?

hmmm....google finance

EDIT: yeah, yahoo finance is 15 minutes delayed. Google is realtime.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah nice, well both YHOO and AAPL are up nicely. No one added to their positions today I guess (from what I could read)?

rvd2kewl

AAPL at $99 now in AH trading according to Power E*Trade Pro (which has real-time info). The low was somewhere between $87-88 when it opened back up a half hour ago.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
Ah nice, well both YHOO and AAPL are up nicely. No one added to their positions today I guess (from what I could read)?

I'm not adding to shit right now. This year sucks ass.

99 now

rvd2kewl

Ether_Snake said:

I didn't. I've been beaten down so much in the past by Apple sandbagging the guidance that I decided to sit this one out. Now they come in with guidance WAY lower than the consensus and instead of heading down big, the stock is actually up 8.5% in the AH trading. Go figure.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well just to give you an idea I bought BHI at 65 (I don't know what the fuck I was thinking), it's at 38 now. If I don't add now (or soon) I'm not seeing gains for a while:p

BTW I have a question: If OPEC was to cut production, oil prices would go up, but what does it mean for the drillers? What does it mean for BHI, HAL, DRQ, etc.? Higher revenues, less work?

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
Well just to give you an idea I bought BHI at 65 (I don't know what the fuck I was thinking), it's at 38 now. If I don't add now (or soon) I'm not seeing gains for a while:p

Well, I bought POT at 219 (now at 75) and ESLR at 9.90 (now at 3.25).

I sold both awhile ago, fortunately, but still took painful losses. Sometimes doubling down isn't the thing to do, unless you're very confident in a firm's long-term values and have the patience to wait 5-10 years.

avaya

Apple pull the same stunt time after time, they always guide lower than estimates for the next quarter. Then they beat that when the time comes and then guide lower again. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'm confident in BHI long term. But I can't call a bottom:p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am confident, so I'll being investing once more. Pour my money on select stocks. The market MUST go up down the road =O!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, well hopefully, but lots of businesses can die/need a bailout too, but it's all about picking strong businesses at this point that have real value if you are looking at long term gains.

BTW, just curious, what food brand sells the cheapest food in super markets in the US? Like, if you go to the store right now you might chose products based on prices (I know I do now, I'm buying crappy Kraft vinaigrette for example). I'm wondering who would benefit the most. Health-focused brands that were selling at higher prices based on their quality are gonna take a hit from cheaper alternatives.

Any idea? No food company is going to be rolling in gold, but some might do less bad than others, I'm trying to figure out which. No interest in buying anything food-related tho.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
^ With current economic situations, cheaper foods will definitely get a rise in sells.

Also, I am looking for good stocks that could perform great down the road and under $10. Been working hard on that, hell even IPOs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Motley Fool's Screen is good to make research like that http://caps.fool.com/Screener.aspx?source=ifltnvsnv0000001

Hmm WFR announces earnings Thursday. The company as nice ratios, but their shares have been beaten down severely for a year. I wanted to buy around 9 months ago based on their ratios. Never did, and then they went down on earnings. They can fall lower, techs are risky. But I'm curious how it will go this week. Just curious tho, I'm not buying.

Ninjew said:
Good thing I bought all that silver and gold a while back :]

When did you buy? I made some money on a mining company (ABX) recently. Been looking at possibly buying some again. I made more than I would have buying GLD or SLV. But it's tricky right now, I don't have enough funds to invest in all I want to invest in.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Thanks a lot Ether, had been looking for something like that for a great while. I am also seeing to invest in Metal companies, USX Corporation comes to mind. They had $120 shares a year ago, I am taking a gut bet that they are gonna rise from their current $40 point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah ok. Good sector that has fallen a lot, I looked at the ratios and the ratios of the competitors listed in the Yahoo section and they all pretty much look more or less equally solid.

Ovid

How do u guys buy and sell during the day? Last week I was on vacation so I was able to do some day trading. But this week I'm back to work and stuck watching the real time tickers not able to act on anything. I was on my lunch break today and saw AAPL was down to $93. If I was home I would have bought AAPL at that price. I'm assuming that all of u guys have jobs. So how do u buy & sell during the day? Do u place ur bets in the morning before u leave the house?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hehe, welcome aboard:) Let's hope for the best. I'm holding CGT for the long term. Don't blame me if it goes down!;)

I am on vacation right now (boring vacations, not going anywhere) but usually I place my orders through my bank's service online. I always have a Firefox tab looking at Yahoo Finance while I work, and I go to my online bank account and make the transactions there.

Usually I can't take the time to be as watchful as I have been, it's just that we had less work as we were finishing our current project. When I go back to work in two weeks I won't have as much time to look at the stocks.

BTW I won't see a profit on CGT for a while since my overall holdings are like at 9$ a share on that one, first time I bought I was very inexperienced (a year ago) and bought at 13, twice. You got in at a good price IMO.

ArtG

NASDAQ futures are up 28 points early on here. Hopefully sets up a good day for technology, and in turn, a good day for me. (CSCO $19 November calls...)

Also, Philip Morris International reports before the bell and own some calls there. Hopefully they don't miss or I'm going to get slaughtered. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NVDA, INTC, IBM, AMD, etc., are up in AH.

AAPL over 103, nice for those who had some:)

Nikkei just opened, down 200 so far.

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah, well hopefully, but lots of businesses can die/need a bailout too, but it's all about picking strong businesses at this point that have real value if you are looking at long term gains.

BTW, just curious, what food brand sells the cheapest food in super markets in the US? Like, if you go to the store right now you might chose products based on prices (I know I do now, I'm buying crappy Kraft vinaigrette for example). I'm wondering who would benefit the most. Health-focused brands that were selling at higher prices based on their quality are gonna take a hit from cheaper alternatives.

Any idea? No food company is going to be rolling in gold, but some might do less bad than others, I'm trying to figure out which. No interest in buying anything food-related tho.

May want to look into ConAgra (ticker: CAG). They have a huge variety of foods, including some lines of $1-$2 frozen dinners (I forget the name of the specific product, but they're pretty tasty from my limited experience with them). They've also got all sorts of misc. things like David's sunflower seeds and other small comfort snack foods. Take a look.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quick question guys... which has been the index that has posted the greatest gains in the past 5 years? I am torn between DJIA and S&P 500 but my heart tells me it's DJIA :lol

ArtG

Relix said:
Quick question guys... which has been the index that has posted the greatest gains in the past 5 years? I am torn between DJIA and S&P 500 but my heart tells me it's DJIA :lol

Between DJIA and S&P 500? It's DJIA fractionally.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ArtG said:
Between DJIA and S&P 500? It's DJIA fractionally.

Yeah, I was doing a paper for one of my Finance classes and this question let me dumbstruck for a few minutes as I've always considered the DJIA and the S&P as "twins", but I pay more "respect" to the S&P. Nevertheless, yes, DJIA is the one with the biggest gains. Thanks for the reply =D

Ovid

SEOUL -- Samsung Electronics Co. early Wednesday withdrew its $5.8 billion offer to acquire SanDisk Corp., saying it no longer believed SanDisk was worth the money it was offering and that SanDisk's refusal to entertain friendly discussions stymied hopes for a deal.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122463531500956897.html

Damn it...I guess I have to dump this stock in the morning before I sustain heavy losses. I guarantee that Samsung will revisit this deal sometime next summer.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh you never sold it? I thought you did by now after the offer. Wasn't there someone else interested?

EDIT: I'm reading Sandisk is up right now, Samsung down?

EDIT2: Nevermind, got that wrong. Not sure where you can see how it's trading in Asia right now.

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
Oh you never sold it? I thought you did by now after the offer. Wasn't there someone else interested?

This report was released at 8:34 Eastern--latest numbers (that I see) in after hours has the last trade at 7:56 Eastern.

When the pre-market opens, I imagine we'll see the damage then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ArtG said:
This report was released at 8:34 Eastern--latest numbers (that I see) in after hours has the last trade at 7:56 Eastern.

When the pre-market opens, I imagine we'll see the damage then.

But isn't it traded also in Asia? Or is that like NTDOY, you can buy in Asia but it's the price here only that drives it?

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
But isn't it traded also in Asia? Or is that like NTDOY, you can buy in Asia but it's the price here only that drives it?

To be honest, I have no idea. :lol
I was just looking at US prices.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Actually no I was mistaken, trading will open a bit before markets open tomorrow, as you said.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:

EDIT2: Nevermind, got that wrong. Not sure where you can see how it's trading in Asia right now.
I did sell (at a loss) when it was around $22. But I bought more recently at around $15.
BTW, SNDK is up overseas.

dionysus

Yaldog
Ether_Snake said:

BTW I have a question: If OPEC was to cut production, oil prices would go up, but what does it mean for the drillers? What does it mean for BHI, HAL, DRQ, etc.? Higher revenues, less work?

I work in the industry. The effect would probably be pretty small if OPEC cuts. They still must combat natural field decline with new investment and brownfield investment. Not to mention 60% of production is not controlled by OPEC, and they won't cut back.

Edit. You can also find figures on the value of backlogs for most oil service companies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks for the input. I'll probably add to BHI within a week or two, then I'm not touching it for a while.

Nikkei down almost 500 pts right now.

gkryhewy

Futures down across the board. Nintendo down over 7% on the nikkei overnight, which surprises me given the favorable response to AAPL earnings. Nikkei investors seem more skittish than anyone else :lol

:(

ArtG

gkrykewy said:
Futures down across the board. Nintendo down over 7% on the nikkei overnight, which surprises me given the favorable response to AAPL earnings. Nikkei investors seem more skittish than anyone else :lol

:(

Hopefully the overall market weakness doesn't hurt PM, which reported FANTASTIC quarterly numbers this morning, while offering solid guidance moving forward.

lil smoke

Banned
Considering taking a chance on ABX @ ~22, but that 100 qty min sort of goes beyond what I prefer to invest. They seem to always bounce back though. Wondering if I should just step in.... (while I type, they are falling down towards 21.)

Everything else is just depressing. This looks like another one of those days, lots of catching up to do.

gkryhewy

Wow, Sandisk got killed. Hopefully whoever was worried about that was able to unload their shares, or is willing to stick it out long term.

Everything selling off - except AAPL.

gkryhewy

lil smoke said:
It's so hard to believe that within the 52 week range, AAPL was once at 202.96.

It's not alone - my mutual fund is down 45% year to date. It fucking sucks, but it'll be back in a few years, and so will AAPL. It depends on your time horizon.

Hindsight is always 20/20, of course.

Top Bottom