• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ArtG

Considering the free-fall that occurred today, I can't complain with PM's and CSCO's performance.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeee-rist.

EDIT: AMZN dropping like a rock in AH after their earnings report.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
What I meant was that oil is an indicator of economic activity in the sense that if it's in less demand then it's because the economy is slowing, and I'm saying I don't see the economy getting back into shape without the equivalent of the industrial revolution (figuratively speaking), I think since the .com boom what we have been seeing is a will to valuate where there was no value, we have been looking for the economy to grow, for new sectors to open. The digital era is allowing for more information to be shared, for countries around the world to develop in relation to one another at much closer pace than ever before, but the room is just getting more crowded. In a way it's like what would happen if more and more people made the same amount of money; if everyone is a millionaire, nobody's rich.

So I'm saying that demand won't go up until a revolution allows for real value creation, which would "open doors in the crowded room" and allow for some order with value holders financing value-seekers, and the economy to run properly.

Are you sure demand is unchanged? I would doubt that.

EDIT: BHI down 24% ouch.

Okay, that's much more clear. I guess what I would say is that oil demand is much more closely tied to *actual* economic activity (movement of people and goods) than with the sort of hallucinated wealth you're referring to.

And yeah, demand is off just a smidge. Look at the IEA's forecast demand reductions compared to daily demand - it's in the tenths of a percent:

In its monthly report, the Paris-based energy watchdog cut its forecast for oil demand this year by 240,000 barrels per day, and slashed its 2009 forecast by 440,000 barrels per day. The IEA now expects global oil demand to total 86.5 million barrels per day this year and 87.2 million barrels per day next year.

lil smoke

Banned
Once again, AAPL proves that it is worth holding. I should dump everything else, and put it all into AAPL, set it and forget it for a couple of years.

Pimpwerx

How low will AAPL get this year, and when should I pounce? I didn't realize it had dropped back almost to 90 yesterday. Perhaps I should wait to see if the Dow craters further tomorrow? PEACE.

Xisiqomelir

What do you guys think about the short ETFs like DXD? I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one more wave of bad news and panic selling coming up in the next few months.

lil smoke

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
How low will AAPL get this year, and when should I pounce? I didn't realize it had dropped back almost to 90 yesterday. Perhaps I should wait to see if the Dow craters further tomorrow? PEACE.
Who knows? AAPL doesn't always fall when the market does. Overall, of course it has, but day to day, you don't know.

PEACE. :lol I have always wanted to do that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Xisiqomelir said:
What do you guys think about the short ETFs like DXD? I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one more wave of bad news and panic selling coming up in the next few months.

Think the Dow will go down more? Buy. Think it will go up? Don't:p

No one can tell really, and it's sort of late IMO. You could be a millionaire now if you bought shorting ETFs of all sorts recently.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Something I was reading just now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_That_Can_Say_No

I'm reading about the Japanese recession and found this interesting. While they are typically overly-prideful in their assertions, I agree completely with Morita's views on the way American businesses conduct themselves in general:

* American business focuses too much on money games like mergers and acquisitions, and not enough on creating real goods and manufacturing power.
* American business focuses too much on short term profits, such as moving manufacturing overseas, while sacrificing long term overall livelihood.
* American company executives receive too much income, which hurts their companies.
* Employees in Japanese companies form a tight community, so overall results are better.
* The trade surplus with the U.S. is caused by the lack of desirable products made in the U.S.
* U.S. businesses are strong in basic research, but not in product development and marketing
* It is natural for the Japanese government to protect Japanese businesses, as it relies on their tax revenue.

Tarazet

Wachovia just posted the largest-ever quarterly loss for a bank.. $23.9B. There was a run on the bank in September which cost it $13.4B worth of deposits.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Saw that earlier today, any other big banks released or will release their earnings soon?

Zyzyxxz

Ether_Snake said:
Something I was reading just now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_That_Can_Say_No

I'm reading about the Japanese recession and found this interesting. While they are typically overly-prideful in their assertions, I agree completely with Morita's views on the way American businesses conduct themselves in general:

* American business focuses too much on money games like mergers and acquisitions, and not enough on creating real goods and manufacturing power.
* American business focuses too much on short term profits, such as moving manufacturing overseas, while sacrificing long term overall livelihood.
* American company executives receive too much income, which hurts their companies.
* Employees in Japanese companies form a tight community, so overall results are better.
* The trade surplus with the U.S. is caused by the lack of desirable products made in the U.S.
* U.S. businesses are strong in basic research, but not in product development and marketing
* It is natural for the Japanese government to protect Japanese businesses, as it relies on their tax revenue.

while it is mostly true the current Japanese business environemtn is moving away from traditional keiretsu's. Now employers are less likely to guarantee lifetime employment so the community thing may start breaking apart.

It was great during the 80's and 90's but it seems to truly compete on a global markte they gotta change.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well I think Japan's corporate mentality has held onto old aspects of its culture that are useless; excessive pride, racism and sexism. I have often criticized the way Japanese companies are run in the game industry compared to here; employees rarely switch companies which means talent and knowledge remains sedentary. Here in the game business, just in Montreal for example EA and Eidos's studio are full of former Ubisoft employees, and Ubisoft's studio has people from the UK too, some left for the US, etc. This allows knowledge to move from one company to another, and add to this shows like the Game Developers Conferences, Siggraph, etc. We share a lot of info here among competitors thanks to how people can move from one company to another more easily.

But what they say is true about American businesses. They think about "How can we make more money" instead of "How can we make better products/services". Just because you figure out how to make more money doesn't mean you're going to do better in the long run. They think too much on a short-term basis, proping up the companies to sell them rather than focus on success to bring about value.

Google is a company I feel doesn't fall in the typical American model, they focus on doing things right, which brings money in the end.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tideas said:
any stocks do you guys see that's a bargan right now?

I'm looking at RIO, Barclay, GE, ABB, BHI, CHK, and V

Too many to name, no way to be certain.

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
Too many to name, no way to be certain.

No doubt. There are some "values" out there, but the short-term moves mean that you have to be prepared for large moves in stocks that shouldn't be getting 6-10 percentage point swings and have a long-term outlook on them.

If that's what you're asking, there's tons of values. But I don't think there's any reason to splurge and buy your whole position at these levels--there's more downside risk to be factored in, it appears.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, my first BHI purchase was at 65, then today at 32. I expect more falls in anything I buy at this point, too much uncertainty for me to hope to make some money on the short term. But long term I'm not worried. My plan is just to continue to contribute what I can in stocks, mainly in very strong companies from here on, reshape my 401k and raise my contributions to it once I get a raise in April (that's so far away:().

EDIT: BIDU reported some good earnings. Down AHs tho but whatever.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah, my first BHI purchase was at 65, then today at 32. I expect more falls in anything I buy at this point, too much uncertainty for me to hope to make some money on the short term. But long term I'm not worried. My plan is just to continue to contribute what I can in stocks, mainly in very strong companies from here on, reshape my 401k and raise my contributions to it once I get a raise in April (that's so far away:().

EDIT: BIDU reported some good earnings. Down AHs tho but whatever.
This market is so crazy right now. BIDU has good earnings report but still down. I bought BIDU last week after saw GOOG had a good quarter.

Tideas said:
any stocks do you guys see that's a bargan right now?

I'm looking at RIO, Barclay, GE, ABB, BHI, CHK, and V

CVS, WAG, MMM, WMT, MSFT, NKE, CAG, MAR, HD are all on my list of stocks I'm watching (already bought into MMM and CAG during the last few weeks). I need to look more into their balance sheets, but they're all companies worth taking a look at if you're looking for 5+ years. Short term, I wouldn't touch them, since I don't see anything major happening that'd boost them.

Xisiqomelir

Ether_Snake said:
How much do you expect to make? To make a decent return the Dow would have to go lower than it has in the past 3 months. Just saying, since it's now at 88 and its highest was 94.

Well, DXD is double-inverse and I expect the Dow to eventually bottom at 7200-7500, so I guess 22-30%.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Xisiqomelir said:
Well, DXD is double-inverse and I expect the Dow to eventually bottom at 7200-7500, so I guess 22-30%.

Ah right double-inverse. Anytime I look at ETFs I look for a double:p

ArtG

tarius1210 said:
This market is so crazy right now. BIDU has good earnings report but still down. I bought BIDU last week after saw GOOG had a good quarter.

Tell me about it. The market doesn't know which way is up or down. We're trading on pretty much nothing here. There's almost no logic left--any given day could be a +/- 5 percent day based on almost no new information.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ArtG said:
Tell me about it. The market doesn't know which way is up or down. We're trading on pretty much nothing here. There's almost no logic left--any given day could be a +/- 5 percent day based on almost no new information.

Well to be fair there is a lot of bad news on the global front. If you mean company-specific, yeah I agree.

The thing is I think that since a lot of people lost massive amounts of cash over the past two months there has been massive amounts of short-term investments as a result to make up for their losses. I think a lot of people are looking at the share price day-today trading motions to evaluate a sell because they need money now and thought they would make money now.

All of this can only shake out weak hands/short term profiteers out I'd guess, or move to them to shorting stocks.

gkryhewy

Nintendo down ANOTHER 10% on the nikkei. Apparently exports rose less than expected. For a stock with such a high minimum buy-in domestically (in japan) Nintendo has some skittish fucking investors. I never want to hear Yamauchi bitch about US shareholders being quick to bail again.

Tideas

Banned
so guys, before OPEC cuts their thing, oil is gonna go.

Any quick stock to recommend to jump in before they cut it? I expect oil to temporarily rise $5 and then fall back down on Friday.

gkryhewy

Thinking of jumping in on DOW chemical for the long haul. They're up significantly in pre-market, but still just above 1999/2000 price levels. CEO committed to dividends this morning, which are at a 7% yield at the current stock price levels.

EDIT: Sony cut their forecast dramatically below analyst estimates, largely on currency concerns. This bodes poorly for Nintendo next week, despite being much more profitable. Japan needs to do something to weaken the yen.

Tideas

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Thinking of jumping in on DOW chemical for the long haul. They're up significantly in pre-market, but still just above 1999/2000 price levels. CEO committed to dividends this morning, which are at a 7% yield at the current stock price levels.

EDIT: Sony cut their forecast dramatically below analyst estimates, largely on currency concerns. This bodes poorly for Nintendo next week, despite being much more profitable. Japan needs to do something to weaken the yen.

earning for DOW is today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gkrykewy said:

I'm looking at POT, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to make a purchase unless I sell ATVI (my only gain right now, and I don't really want to sell it now).

BA is still really interesting, but I gotta pick and chose and it's not at the top of my list.

WFR earnings today, not confident about this one but I'm curious. Solars are tanking.

lil smoke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I'm looking at POT, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to make a purchase unless I sell ATVI (my only gain right now, and I don't really want to sell it now).

BA is still really interesting, but I gotta pick and chose and it's not at the top of my list.

WFR earnings today, not confident about this one but I'm curious. Solars are tanking.
yeah I'm purchasing some POT this weekend too!

ok... I'll stop cluttering the thread for a moment :D

Tarazet

lil smoke said:
yeah I'm purchasing some POT this weekend too!

cat.bmp

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:

Don't touch Potash with a 10-foot pole. It's a fucking cancer. DONOTWANT.JPG

Keep your ATVI.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gkrykewy said:
Don't touch Potash with a 10-foot pole. It's a fucking cancer. DONOTWANT.JPG

Keep your ATVI.

Why?

EDIT: Ratios look good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah yeah I wouldn't buy it now. I don't want to sell ATVI below 15, and even if I did sell it I have other stuff I'm more likely to put money into right now.

eznark: a bit late? we're going down right now:p

Top Bottom