• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW looking at the attention Dead Space is getting I think it will be a good seller for EA. Not sure how much it cost to make but the sales should be good. Now it's up to Mirror's Edge to do well. Spore was such a cluster-fuck I wonder if it will put a serious dent in their earnings.

Regardless, I'm more interested in EA now than I was a few months ago, not considering the price of the shares at that.

I still have trouble believing that Mirror's Edge is coming out in three weeks tho. But I guess it will, I thought Dead Space would be delayed too.

ArtG

We're going to be testing the closing lows today. 8451 is the closing low. If we break below that... watch out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Under 8000 tomorrow?

BTW today's earnings schedule, as far as what I'm looking at includes:

BNI (Burlighton Northen Santa Fe)
RIO
HOKU
WFR
MSFT
RTN (Raytheon, surpassed estimates)

I expect nothing pretty:p

ArtG

gkrykewy said:
Not a chance. How are those chocolate gold coins under your mattress doing?

:lol

If we don't rally above that 8451 level, however, we'll be looking for another bottom again.

This could get so, so ugly.

gkryhewy

ArtG said:
:lol

If we don't rally above that 8451 level, however, we'll be looking for another bottom again.

This could get so, so ugly.

That's fairly arbitrary - it could get ugly either way. Or it could get AMAZING.

All my limits executed today

KO 10/22/2008 8:28 PM 5 Buy
$43.00
Executed
ERJ 10/22/2008 8:23 PM 10 Buy
$16.50
Executed
WEN 10/22/2008 8:19 PM 10 Buy
$3.14
Executed

Yes I know, the numbers are very small, but the reason is Im uncertain on these stocks, so I wanted to go in small.

Well, except wendys, I already owned 50 stocks.

ArtG

jamesinclair said:
All my limits executed today

KO 10/22/2008 8:28 PM 5 Buy
$43.00
Executed
ERJ 10/22/2008 8:23 PM 10 Buy
$16.50
Executed
WEN 10/22/2008 8:19 PM 10 Buy
$3.14
Executed

Yes I know, the numbers are very small, but the reason is Im uncertain on these stocks, so I wanted to go in small.

Well, except wendys, I already owned 50 stocks.

You've got a winner in KO.

Don't know much about the other two companies, though. (I mean, I know about Wendy's...just not a whole lot about their business. :p )

EDIT: The past 20-30 minutes have been dizzying--up, down, up, down, up, down. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
RIO HOKU WFR MSFT all up in AH after their respective earnings release.

EDIT: Wait RIO is at 5 (or tomorrow?).

Ouch STP down 23% today.

Ovid

I decided to withdraw my money from the markets for now. I'll wait until the bottom (I think that will happen between April and June) to start buying stocks again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll just look at my portfolio go down for a while since I don't need the money now. I'm playing with what's in there from here on. Tough times.

EDIT: Nikkei heading for the 7000. Sony to its lowest levels since 1995.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yuck,, Nikkei down 600 pts, below 8000.

Yen Climbs to 13-Year High Against Dollar as Investors Slash Carry Trades

Toyota Sales Fall for First Time Since 2001 as Crisis Cripples Auto Demand

And, unrelated: http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-dealzone/2008/10/23/20-percent-zero/

At the end of December 2007, Daimler’s 20-percent stake in Chrysler was valued at about $1.18 billion.

At the end of June, Daimler valued that investment at about $219.6 million.

Today, Daimler said the book value of that 20-percent stake is zero.

Chrysler is dead, who's next?

EDIT: Roubini Foresees Possible Market Shutdown

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/10/roubiini-foresees-possible-market.html

``We've reached a situation of sheer panic,'' Roubini, who predicted the financial crisis in 2006, told a conference of hedge-fund managers in London today. ``There will be massive dumping of assets'' and ``hundreds of hedge funds are going to go bust,'' he said....

``Systemic risk has become bigger and bigger,'' Roubini said at the Hedge 2008 conference. ``We're seeing the beginning of a run on a big chunk of the hedge funds,'' and ``don't be surprised if policy makers need to close down markets for a week or two in coming days,'' he said.....

Evlar

Banned
What's the problem in hedge funds? I need to get up to speed on this.

EDIT: Banning shorts seems to be part of the trouble?

gkryhewy

Guy on CNBC: "The two countries with the lowest interest rates (US, JPN) have the most rapidly appreciating currencies. Have your economics professor try to explain that to you." :lol

Yen gained 5% on the dollar in a single day! Meanwhile the dollar gained almost 3% on the Euro.

I have no idea what will happen, but I'm going to place a low limit buy for DOW and cross my fingers. Could get to a 10% dividend yield today.

Deku Tree

``This is the worst financial crisis in the U.S., Europe and now emerging markets that we've seen in a long time,'' Roubini said. ``Things will get much worse before they get better. I fear the worst is ahead of us.''

Evlar said:
What's the problem in hedge funds? I need to get up to speed on this.

Many of them are over-leveraged. Plus investors are pulling their money out because the Hedge funds are losing it. Margin calls and redemptions lead to waves of forced selling, which in turn may lead to more and bigger waves of forced selling.

ArtG

Boys and girls...put in some low, low bids. Just put in something crazy--because chances are, it's going to get filled. :lol

jmdajr

gkrykewy said:
Guy on CNBC: "The two countries with the lowest interest rates (US, JPN) have the most rapidly appreciating currencies. Have your economics professor try to explain that to you." :lol

Yen gained 5% on the dollar in a single day! Meanwhile the dollar gained almost 3% on the Euro.

I have no idea what will happen, but I'm going to place a low limit buy for DOW and cross my fingers. Could get to a 10% dividend yield today.

it all makes my head spin

gkryhewy

kathode said:
!!!!

AAPL below 90 in the premarket.

Sony cut their profit guidance by over 50%, which seems to have kicked a lot of this off.

Nintendo down another 10% right along with Sony. On the other hand, with the yen gaining 5.5% on the dollar, that's only a 4.5% net loss for US traders :lol

At these levels, Microsoft is going to buy RIMM. Only a question of when. There were widespread reports of a standing offer at $50/share.

POT down to $57 by the way, ether_snake! Still stay away. There is no floor.

Tideas

Banned
damn, i bought some stocks yesterday. Should have waited til today.

Today's gonna brutal. I'm looking at 7900 closing bell. Anyone?

Yagharek

Im in Australia, but Im trying to find out what time the NYSE opens. Its in about 20 minutes from now by my calculations. Correct? I want to see how it opens so I know what to do with my aussie shares on monday.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Today is going to be a very very bad day. The Dow Jones futures are down as much as 550 points.

bailout.gif

eznark

Banned
gkrykewy said:
You're right - still plenty of time to get back to green :D

AMEN!

I would have said 8000 2 weeks ago, but now I think it's 7000 maybe 6000. Probably not today though.

We'll have a better idea after today, but the early morning reaction makes me feel even stronger that 8 is the floor.

lil smoke said:
I would have said 8000 2 weeks ago, but now I think it's 7000 maybe 6000. Probably not today though.

The bottom was reached at 7800 about a week ago. The floor is really around the 8000 level as others have said and many fund managers believe.

Top Bottom