• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Bane

So I see Mondo is putting the Prometheus score out tomorrow. I really thought for sure if they had a vinyl for Alien day it would have been Alien, it's kind of weird. Does anyone know if there's some issue in them getting the rights to that score? I really want a vinyl copy but have held off on getting the original release in hopes of a new version like the Aliens release last year.

robotrock

Banned
So I see Mondo is putting the Prometheus score out tomorrow. I really thought for sure if they had a vinyl for Alien day it would have been Alien, it's kind of weird. Does anyone know if there's some issue in them getting the rights to that score? I really want a vinyl copy but have held off on getting the original release in hopes of a new version like the Aliens release last year.

I'm pretty sure they're putting Alien out tomorrow too?

edit: Oh crap you're right, I missed the S. Just Prometheus and Aliens.

seBh1eR.jpg

Aliens Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP. Composed by James Horner Artwork by Kilian Eng. Pressed on 180 Gram Black Vinyl. On sale Tuesday (4/26) at 11AM CST. $35

Zia

So, I got a new turntable (the Pro-ject Elemental) and a phono preamp (the Pro-ject MM) but this is for desk listening and I want to use my headphones (AKG KXwhatever from Massdrop). Being the audio noob that I am I plugged everything in, then noticed that my headphones will not directly connect to the preamp. Do I need a headphone amp in addition to the phono preamp or am I missing something?

Steamlord

So, I got a new turntable (the Pro-ject Elemental) and a phono preamp (the Pro-ject MM) but this is for desk listening and I want to use my headphones (AKG KXwhatever from Massdrop). Being the audio noob that I am I plugged everything in, then noticed that my headphones will not directly connect to the preamp. Do I need a headphone amp in addition to the phono preamp or am I missing something?

Sounds like you might just need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Something like this:

ZyA4WTPm.jpg

Spwn

Ordered myself a new Rega RP1 and Pro-Ject Phono Box II yesterday. Used turntable prices are so ridiculous in Finland that I found 299€ for a RP1 to be a great deal. Looking forward to getting the new House of Mythology releases and the new Perturbator deluxe edition early next month.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone have some thoughts on those Sonic Youth reissues that have been coming out lately? I've been wanting to buy their Self-Titled, Goo and Dirty for a minute but I'm not seeing much reliable info regarding sound quality and mastering. I know the MoFi pressing of Goo is supposed to sound great (but being out of print has shot that record well past $100), but the other two are up in the air. I saw a repress of their S/T at one of my local shops for $15 but I had a gut feeling not to buy it.

Atrophis

A buddy of mine at work has just given me the following for the cost of "a few pints":

Zero 7 - EP3
Kill Bill Volume 1 soundtrack
Robocop soundtrack
Under the Skin soundtrack
Ghostbusters soundtrack
Hohokum soundtrack

8bit

Knows the Score
A buddy of mine at work has just given me the following for the cost of "a few pints":

Zero 7 - EP3
Kill Bill Volume 1 soundtrack
Robocop soundtrack
Under the Skin soundtrack
Ghostbusters soundtrack
Hohokum soundtrack

That's pretty generous! Nice score.

wenis

fucking LOL

how do you even begin to amass this and not only that, but continue to do so after decades and decades and turn around and sell the entire lot.

Spwn

Picked these two beauties from mail today. Released by House of Mythology, who also released the latest Ulver album.

Stian Westerhus - Amputation
lQrxCRKl.jpg

Limited edition marble (100 copies made). Quite beautiful album that doesn't go as far into experimental soundscapes as Westerhus sometimes goes. This song is actually a very good representation of the whole vibe of the album.

Laniakea - A Pot Of Powdered Nettles
StpUg4yl.jpgg

Limited edition pink (200 copies made). Laniakea is a collaboration of Daniel O'Sullivan (Ulver) and Massimo Pupillo (Zu). The album mainly consists of "cosmic hymns", as they put it, and spacy soundscapes. Due to the nature of the songs, I find myself conflicted whether I like this album or not. I can't see myself listening to it too often, but every time (listened to it a couple of times on Spotify before I got my LP copy) I actually find myself enjoying it – especially the two songs in the middle of the album.

Now I'm waiting for Streets of Rage 1 & 2 OSTs, Perturbator's The Uncanny Valley Deluxe Edition & Dangerous Days, Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase., and Ulver's War of the Roses white LP to arrive. Then I'll take a small break from buying records.

Odd, so I looked that up "Laniakea - A Pot Of Powdered Nettles" and the company that put it out, is literally within 5mins of my house.

wenis

I randomly went to Green Apple books today on a whim just to look around and scoping out their vinyl selection for a minute. My eyes drifted up to their box-set collections and what do I spy?

The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live At Madison Square Garden... best part?

GqcoJh5l.jpg

$80

of course I bought that shit as soon as I saw it. the discs are slightly dusty, but no surface marks to account for, all the sleeves look great and the outer box has a few imperfections (some gunk on the back, some slight shelf ware around the edges). I nearly cried in the store. These things are going $150+ used / $250+ new on Amazon.

EWmof.gif
Praises to the Vinyl God today
p0QHO.gif

so what are some of the storage options you guys are using these days, specifically handsome racks/shelves?

Everybody is going to suggest Expedit and Kallax but I think those both kinda suck for everything else but putting in 12"'s and never ever taking them from there. They are way too deep and impossible to use for 7" storage. Great for bulk storage though.

My go to option is Lundia shelves which are:

- Exactly 12" deep
- Endlessly expendable in every direction
- Comes in all kinds of lengths and widths
- While they look flimsy, they are actually quite sturdy and more you combine more sturdy they become too! I've seen this these things hold thousands of records (like say 2 x 5x5 Expedit) without breaking a sweat and mine with ~1000 is holding just fine

1280.jpg

Lundia_Classic_kirjahylly_musta_2.jpg

Well you don't keep your records pushed all the way to the back, so deepness doesn't really matter. In fact it's handy for boxsets or LPs in packages that aren't exactly standard, you can push those further back so the spine is equal with all the rest.
Lundia might be best if you have 1000s of records. But if you have a more modest collection and you're trying to display them in your living room, dorm, bedroom, wherever, the Kallax looks much nicer, IMO.

Greyvvolf

So it looks like I'm not the only person who's been having a hard time finding a place for my 7" records. What does everyone use for that?

If anybody is interested this Kickstarter is actually something I backed because I couldn't find anything I liked. I don't think it will make the funding goal though.

amnesiac

So it looks like I'm not the only person who's been having a hard time finding a place for my 7" records. What does everyone use for that?

If anybody is interested this Kickstarter is actually something I backed because I couldn't find anything I liked. I don't think it will make the funding goal though.

For my 7" records I just use this: http://www.sleevecityusa.com/45-rpm-Record-Boxes-p/3str7nbox.htm

It's not the best looking thing in the world, but it's really cheap and holds a ton of them.

nitewulf

well i asked becaue it seems the Nornas looks really good, and seems to be decent at storage, about may be 150 - 200 per shelf, horizontal and vertical versions.

nornas-4.jpg

wenis

ugh, I received a completely different pressing of Rage Against the Machines s/t than I ordered. already messaged the seller, but I'm hoping this can be fixed.
wtzgU.gif

Does everyone keep their records in those clear sleeves? sometimes I wish I didn't it's such pain to always remove them and put them pack, maybe Im just being lazy

well i asked becaue it seems the Nornas looks really good, and seems to be decent at storage, about may be 150 - 200 per shelf, horizontal and vertical versions.

nornas-4.jpg

I was interested in the Norna's too, I like that they can be stained/painted whatever colour you want and they come in a 1x3 option which would have been perfect for me since my wall is just a little short of being long enough for a row of 4, but I wasn't a 100% sure if the 1x3 was still record sized. I ultimately settled on 3 1x4 Kallax which I stack vertically, and it's worked pretty well so far.

wenis

Does everyone keep their records in those clear sleeves? sometimes I wish I didn't it's such pain to always remove them and put them pack, maybe Im just being lazy

yes. I even turn the inner sleeve opening to the top so that dust absolutely can't creep it's way in from the top of the outer sleeve.

wenis

Wait... People don't do this normally?

a lot of people leave the inner sleeve facing the open side of the outer sleeve for easy access. I get that, but no... just no.

depending on the quality of the outer sleeve tho I may leave the record outside of it to prevent further wear and tear on the outer sleeve. some especially from the 50's-70's are horribly beat up and falling apart.

Fun fact: two years ago, when my record collection was much smaller, my wife's copy of Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea was our lone record in an outersleeve. The plastic sleeve attracted the attention of our otherwise saintly behaved dog, he pulled the record off the shelf, ripped the outersleeve to shreds and somehow got the innersleeve out of the cover and ripped that up too. He must have walked all over the record as well because it was scratched all to hell. Morale of the story? Don't ever use outersleeves, they'll destroy your records!!
Unless you have well behaved dogs or no dogs at all.

Fun fact: two years ago, when my record collection was much smaller, my wife's copy of Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea was our lone record in an outersleeve. The plastic sleeve attracted the attention of our otherwise saintly behaved dog, he pulled the record off the shelf, ripped the outersleeve to shreds and somehow got the innersleeve out of the cover and ripped that up too. He must have walked all over the record as well because it was scratched all to hell. Morale of the story? Don't ever use outersleeves, they'll destroy your records!!
Unless you have well behaved dogs or no dogs at all.

That's harsh... Such a good album.

I don't even have a record player anymore, but I was at my parents' house tonight and we were talking about Prince. I mentioned I had 1999 on vinyl and everyone got very excited. Put it on the turntable and everybody danced. I gained a lot of cool cred with my daughter and sister. Here are my records I found (I know I had Zappa's Tinseltown Rebellion, but I couldn't find it; the bulk of my collection from my youth is with my stepfather). All are in immaculate condition with the record sleeves pointing up.

JMizzlin

I randomly went to Green Apple books today on a whim just to look around and scoping out their vinyl selection for a minute. My eyes drifted up to their box-set collections and what do I spy?

The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live At Madison Square Garden... best part?

GqcoJh5l.jpg

$80

of course I bought that shit as soon as I saw it. the discs are slightly dusty, but no surface marks to account for, all the sleeves look great and the outer box has a few imperfections (some gunk on the back, some slight shelf ware around the edges). I nearly cried in the store. These things are going $150+ used / $250+ new on Amazon.

EWmof.gif
Praises to the Vinyl God today
p0QHO.gif

Awesome pick up! I found one last copy in my company and transferred it up to myself immediately. Going to pick it up come pay day.
Does it come with a digital download code?

wenis

Awesome pick up! I found one last copy in my company and transferred it up to myself immediately. Going to pick it up come pay day.
Does it come with a digital download code?
Mine was used so it didn't, but I believe they originally did tho.

Chinner

Banned
They're doing a full reissue of Radioheads discography at the end of the month. Which is good as prices have been creeping up recently.

wenis

They're doing a full reissue of Radioheads discography at the end of the month. Which is good as prices have been creeping up recently.
I'm curious to know who is doing the pressing. I know my original In Rainbows is a little noisy so I wouldn't mind a replacement.

There was talk on Reddit that XL bought some of Capitol's stock and just slaps XL sticker on them.
That.... That is unfortunate.

With the latest resurgence in vinyl there are a lot of sub par releases coming out to hit that childhood feeling. What is worse is the ridiculous markups on turntables.

Excuse me while I go yell at clouds.

wenis

With the latest resurgence in vinyl there are a lot of sub par releases coming out to hit that childhood feeling. What is worse is the ridiculous markups on turntables.

Excuse me while I go yell at clouds.

Yea you definitely need to do research in this market before making purchases, but there are plenty of orphaned records out there that are pressings which are sometimes even better than modern pressings at a fraction of the price.

Yea you definitely need to do research in this market before making purchases, but there are plenty of orphaned records out there that are pressings which are sometimes even better than modern pressings at a fraction of the price.

Don't get me wrong I am a complete snob when it comes to audio and it still bugs me that people shell out enormous amounts on gear that is priced at a point that without research people believe it is amazing because of the price.

I don't even have a record player anymore, but I was at my parents' house tonight and we were talking about Prince. I mentioned I had 1999 on vinyl and everyone got very excited. Put it on the turntable and everybody danced. I gained a lot of cool cred with my daughter and sister. Here are my records I found (I know I had Zappa's Tinseltown Rebellion, but I couldn't find it; the bulk of my collection from my youth is with my stepfather). All are in immaculate condition with the record sleeves pointing up.
Let's Get Small? Awesome.

Top Bottom